TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

The Official MLB Offseason Topic

I just find it ironically funny and totally fitting that the Yankees signed Mike Mussina because the Orioles low-balled him until the last minute and made him feel like he wasn't a priority, then lost Andy Pettitte to the Astros because they low-balled him until the last minute and made him feel like he wasn't a priority.

Karma's gonna get you, George.

According to today's San Francisco Chronicle, the Tigers have offered Miguel Tejada a contract...now sit down for this one...at 7-years for $105 million.

The next best offer is the Orioles at 3-years, $27 million.

Wow.

False. This is what the Chronicle reported:

The Tigers are the biggest surprise. Having earlier made the impression they were out of the bidding, they emerged with a reported $50 million over five years. Even at that amount, Tigers GM Dave Dombrowski said the difference between the offer and Tejada's demand is "immense."

It's believed Tejada's agents made a counteroffer to the Tigers for seven years and $105 million, an astounding request that no team is expected to touch.

The link

I wonder if the 7 years/105 million is just for the tigers so that he can avoid having to play in Detroit or if thats really what he wants.

No way the O's are going to cough up $15 mil a year for him. I dont know of any other teams that would either.

Guest Anglesault
Karma's gonna get you, George.

Don't think so.

The Yankees, more often than not, tend to leade charmed lives.

I have a sneaky feeling that the Yankees this year will some how put aside that they are a team of assholes and win it all, while the Astros will (once again) go absolutely no where, despite the best efforts of Andy Pettitte.

Somehow, the Yankees will land on their feet and Andy will look like a fool.

Just a hunch.

This isn't the Yankees year my Angle-lovin' friend. It'll be somebody completely out of left field (No pun intended). Just look at the past three years, I don't think the trend is gonna stop.

Miguel Tejada signs with the Baltimore Orioles.

Edit: Link isn't working...go the cbs.sportsline.com front page and the blurb says that he signed for 6-years, $54 million.

Edited by Bored

Miguel Tejada signs with the Baltimore Orioles.

Edit: Link isn't working...go the cbs.sportsline.com front page and the blurb says that he signed for 6-years, $54 million.

All that work (with Vlad possibly on the way), and the Orioles are STILL only the fourth-best team in the division.

Orioles land Tejada in mega-deal

The Orioles have signed free-agent shortstop Miguel Tejada, completing a deal Sunday with one of the most high-profile free agents available.

Tejada signed a deal that one executive said was for six years and in the $65 million range.

The 27-year-old Tejada - the 2002 American League MVP - played all seven of his major league seasons with the Oakland Athletics. The low-budget A's, who also lost closer Keith Foulke to the Red Sox on Saturday, had said they couldn't afford to give Tejada the long-term deal he wants.

The Seattle Mariners and Detroit Tigers were also pursuing Tejada.

Guest OSIcon

That's a big contract but it still leaves the O's with about 25 million dollars to work with this off season. That's still enough to get Vlad and Javey Lopez. If they can land both of those, they'll be in good shape. If both of those come through, I wouldn't say they are necesarily still the "fourth best" team in the AL East.

They still need pitching of course. Getting Ponson back would be a nice start and a trade for another mid-level pitcher wouldn't hurt either.

They won't get both Vlad and Javy, that's just insanse. Especially since there are other teams interested in both of them.

Also, Javy has said he wants to be a Marlin.

Here's a bold prediction for all of ya I bet every team in the AL East wins 70 games or more. Yes Devil Rays included. It'll be the best division in the AL next year and maybe best in all of MLB.

Here's a bold prediction for all of ya I bet every team in the AL East wins 70 games or more. Yes Devil Rays included. It'll be the best division in the AL next year and maybe best in all of MLB.

All could be good teams, but that's a tough feat to accomplish due to the unbalanced schedule.

I'll make these predictions for the AL East if the season were to start today

Boston Red Sox: 102-60

New York Yankees: 100-62

Toronto Blue Jays: 90-72

Baltimore Orioles: 77-85

Tampa Bay Devil Rays: 68-94

If the O's get another big bat, they will not finish below .500

Last year they couldn't knock in runs and it killed them, pitching was solid and Ponson wants to come back to the Orioles cause he really likes the organization and the city. The Orioles decided to trade him cause they wanted the prospects and they knew they had the cash to re-sign him this year.

Get Vlad or Lopez and Ponson and those pitchers they acquired from the Marlins and Giants develop then this division might get damn interesting.

The Orioles might not be done. Some rumors circulating say the O's are close to announcing both Vlad AND I-Rod.

You know, if they land all THREE of these guys AND Ponson....then the AL EAST could become more competitive than the NL Central

The Orioles could easily land I-Rod and Vlad still. Vlad and Tejada have the same agent, and since he just completed a successful round of negotiation with the Birds, he'll be receptive to their offers. Signing I-Rod first would give the team another Latin player, which Vlad apparently considers a priority. Adding those 3 would be a tremendous boost to the offense.

Pitching is still a concern, though. Rodrigo Lopez is the default #1, and he's been getting lit up like a cheap Roman candle in winter ball. If they have to trade Roberts or Hairston for an arm, I'd prefer to see Hairston go. I get a prima donna vibe from him I don't get from Roberts.

have a sneaky feeling that the Yankees this year will some how put aside that they are a team of assholes and win it all...

Here's my hunch: The Yankees will not win the World Series this coming year.

Here's why: Earl Weaver's basic formula for success was simple -- pitching, defense, and the three-run homer. THe Yankees have the pitching, and they can certainly hit the homers. Defense? Not so good. Here's how they stack up:

C- Posada: nothing wrong here

1B- Giambi: monument of shit

2B- Soriano: poor

SS- Jeter: VERY overrated, average defensive player

3B- Boone: Their best infield defensive player

LF- Matsui: Good, but not a lot of speed

CF- Williams: Good, but aging and losing range

CF2- Lofton: See Williams

RF- SHeffield: Good, but not a lot of speed, and not getting any younger

So their infield defense is pretty awful, and while their outfielders are solid defensively, they're not going to run down too many balls in the gaps. This poor defense is what has doomed the Yankees the past two postseasons: they played teams that put the ball in play a lot, and their crappy defense got exposed. They've done NOTHING to address that deficiency in the offseason. I hope Kevin Brown's salary is worth that 13-14 record.

Supposing the Os sign Vlad and Irod as well:

Os Projected Lineup

2B Hairston/Roberts

SS Tejada

RF Guerrero

1B Gibbons

C I Rod

DH Cust/Cordova (if Cordy doesn't lock himself in a tanning booth again)

3B Mora

LF Bigbie

CF Matos

Thats a killer 2-3-4-5 part of the lineup. Hairston did a good job of getting on base last year before the injury so the RBI ops will be there for them. Gibbons will finally get his big year at first base.

If the Os pitching Staff was even 1 more pitcher solid than what it is Id swear even in the AL East that the Os could make a run at the wild card next year..

Guest OSIcon
Supposing the Os sign Vlad and Irod as well:

Os Projected Lineup

2B Hairston/Roberts

SS Tejada

RF Guerrero

1B Gibbons

C I Rod

DH Cust/Cordova (if Cordy doesn't lock himself in a tanning booth again)

3B Mora

LF Bigbie

CF Matos

Thats a killer 2-3-4-5 part of the lineup. Hairston did a good job of getting on base last year before the injury so the RBI ops will be there for them. Gibbons will finally get his big year at first base.

If the Os pitching Staff was even 1 more pitcher solid than what it is Id swear even in the AL East that the Os could make a run at the wild card next year..

That line up would be great. Even though they finished 20 games under .500 last year, I thought the O's played a lot better than what was accected from that group of players. When Conine and Tony Batista are your best offensive weapons, then things aren't good. Nothing against Conine, I like him a lot, but he is not a "best guy on the team" type of player. So considering that the O's basically had nobody on offense last year, they didn't play that bad.

Take away the wekest spots from last year's line up and replace them with Pudge, Tejada, and Guerrero and the line up is ceraintly above average.

The lack of talk about pitching still worries me the most. I've read that they are talking with Ponson about returning, but that's not going to be enough. Hopefully it is just that they are concentrating on getting their big trhee offensive priorities wrapped away before they move onto pitching. They have a enough prospects and a couple exdendable position players that should be enough to trade for a pitcher or two.

I defintitely think that if a few more trades and free agents fall into place, the O's will definitely have the chance to move out of the fourth place hole they are stuck in and maybe even go further. If not next year, they should have a few more years to get something done.

The good thing about pitching is that I Rod will help them out a lot like he did in Florida. I think thats why they are going after him more than Lopez even though Lopez could have better offensive numbers with the Os.

A catcher's effect on a pitching staff is pretty overrated.

I think the Marlins' success last year had more to do with Beckett, Penny, and company being pretty damned good pitchers on their own. Couple that along with not being totally abused by McKeon as they had been in the past, and you have a recipe for success...the kind of success all the Marlins' young pitching was supposed to have had in years previous, before their arms fell off.

NEW ORLEANS -- If the Marlins had their way, Roger Clemens would have won his 300th game in Florida teal instead of Yankees pinstripes.

Unrevealed until this weekend is the fact that last December, the Marlins were willing to pay $13 million to sign the Rocket to a one-year contract.

"A year ago in Nashville, Tenn. [site of the Winter Meetings], pretty much all I said was Roger wants to stay with the Yankees," Clemens' agent, Randy Hendricks, told reporters Saturday.

"But what really wasn't widely reported was the Florida Marlins offered $13 million for one year for Roger to come to Florida to teach the team how to win and to teach their young pitchers how to succeed, which was a pretty interesting offer that we declined politely. He was focused on the Yankees and the American League, and that's the only place he wanted to play."

Shortly after Thanksgiving of 2002, the Marlins' front office discussed approaching Clemens, who was then a free agent. He eventually went back to the Yankees.

The offer would have included deferring payments over several seasons.

At the time, the Marlins also were interested in trading for pitcher Bartolo Colon, who was with the Expos.

Interest in Colon broke off in early January, and the Marlins eventually sent three minor league pitchers to the Tigers for left-hander Mark Redman, who went 14-9 last season.

On Jan. 22, the Marlins pulled off a shocking move by signing catcher Ivan Rodriguez for one year at $10 million.

Ironically, Clemens missed out on winning the World Series because the Marlins defeated the Yankees in six games.

Unless Clemens comes out of retirement to pitch for the Astros, the Rocket's last start was in Game 4 of the World Series at Pro Player Stadium. He was not involved in the decision, an epic 12-inning Marlins' win on Alex Gonzalez's walk-off home run.

"We noticed they signed Pudge, who worked out great for them," Hendricks said.

--------------------

What might have been. I can only imagine what effect that may have had on the pitching staff.

Bunch of misc. moves so far today:

-Expos sign Carl Everett to a 2-year, $7 million deal.

-Phillies sign Roberto Hernandez to a 1-year deal, 750k deal.

-Mariners traded Greg Colbrunn to the Diamondbacks for Quentin McCracken.

-Mariners signed Scott Spiezio to a 3-year, $9 million deal.

-Diamondbacks signed Brent Mayne to a 1-year, 800k deal.

-Twins traded Dustan Mohr to the Giants for a PTBNL.