TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

The Official MLB Offseason Topic

I think they should do a Simple Life like reality show where they take AngleSault and put him in the town of a crappy sports team (Say the Brewers or Pirates)....that town will also be full of dumb HHH marks....who happen to be liberals. Muhahhahahahahahahaha....am I sadistic or just easily entertained?

Not sure if Al meant be thankful that you're not a Braves fan because they blow it every year or because they seem to be dismantleing their team, as well as having several question marks for next year.

Hey if you kill them all it makes for great reality TV BAYBEE! You can't fault someone for being a fan of a crappy sports team it's passed down from generation to generation. It's like cancer in the family almost. Now HHH marks on the other hand....

Guest Anglesault

Who said I'd kill the fans of the team?

The first time my "new local team" totally embarassed me I'd go on a rampage on them.

Not sure if Al meant be thankful that you're not a Braves fan because they blow it every year or because they seem to be dismantleing their team, as well as having several question marks for next year.

Because of the dismantling. Its disheartening to see a team drop payroll by $20 million, and lose its top two hitters, and its HOF pitcher. Unless of course, you're a Phillies fan, in which case you say "muahahahahaha."

Even when the Yankees do something stupid (Like getting Weaver) I remember that I could be a fan of the Braves, or the Red Sox, or the Indians (back when they were good) who were basically consitantly good for years and pretty much had nothing to show for it.

Looking back, you can't possibly say the Weaver trade looked stupid at the time. The conventional wisdom of the time said it was another example of the Yankees buying pennants. (I don't believe that myself.)

Guest Anglesault
Even when the Yankees do something stupid (Like getting Weaver) I remember that I could be a fan of the Braves, or the Red Sox, or the Indians (back when they were good) who were basically consitantly good for years and pretty much had nothing to show for it.

Looking back, you can't possibly say the Weaver trade looked stupid at the time. The conventional wisdom of the time said it was another example of the Yankees buying pennants. (I don't believe that myself.)

As you might guess, I have little patience for sub-par peformances.

Weaver's very first game as a Yankee, where he managed to win the game, but only after giving up five home runs, put him on my shitlist.

Alot of people have been on the list before, but they've all earned their way off.

From that day I saw Weaver, at worst, a walking disaster and at best someone who wasn't exactly an amazing improvement over what we gave up (Ted Lily?)

For the heck of it, an early look at next season.

AL EAST

Its close between the Yankees and the Sox. I'd make the Yankees slight favorites to win the division next year. Blue Jays finish a strong third.

AL CENTRAL

White Sox look to be the early favorites here. Twins need to trade their surplus outfielders to improve their team. The Royals will finish under .500. The Indians make a run for third place.

AL WEST

I like the A's here. 1-5, there isn't a better rotation in baseball.

NL EAST

I've gotta pick the Phillies here. Marlins finish second. Braves drop to third, ending the dynasty.

NL CENTRAL

Close race between the Astros and Cubs. I'd make the Astros slight favorites. This is the year the Cardinals collapse. The Reds could surprise people here.

NL WEST

Gotta take the Giants. Their pitching is solid, and Bonds will supply the offense. Padres make a big improvement, and possibly finish as high as second.

This could, and probably will all change after Tejada, Vlad, etc. land with teams.

AL EAST

Its close between the Yankees and the Sox. I'd make the Yankees slight favorites to win the division next year. Blue Jays finish a strong third.

I have to disagree here, I really don't think the Yankees or the Red Sox have made the deals that the Blue Jays have.

Toronto was really just a few arms short of a real play-off run last season and they seem to be working very hard to improve that rotation.

I don't see Schilling really helping the Sox cause I see him on the DL most of the season. And the Yankees didn't make the smartest of deals so far.

I think the Jays may surprise everyone and snag the division from both of them with the Yankees missing the wild card to the Red Sox.

Blue Jays finish a strong third.

There's an honor.

I think so. They could be as good as the fourth best team in the league. Only the Red Sox, Yankees, and A's are clearly better. And I know you like the argument that winning it all is the only thing that matters, but I disagree. If they finish third, winning 85+, its a good season. They've won many games, and they have a solid foundation to build upon for the future.

AL EAST

Its close between the Yankees and the Sox.  I'd make the Yankees slight favorites to win the division next year.  Blue Jays finish a strong third.

I have to disagree here, I really don't think the Yankees or the Red Sox have made the deals that the Blue Jays have.

Toronto was really just a few arms short of a real play-off run last season and they seem to be working very hard to improve that rotation.

I don't see Schilling really helping the Sox cause I see him on the DL most of the season. And the Yankees didn't make the smartest of deals so far.

I think the Jays may surprise everyone and snag the division from both of them with the Yankees missing the wild card to the Red Sox.

Well, Schilling's DL stints were non-pitching related, so I don't think he's a big risk. You certainly can't count on a DL stint.

And as much as people like to piss on the Yankees (and lord knows I'd like to), the Yankees' trades have improved their team this upcoming season. Long term its questionable, but I really think the Yankees look better for 2004 than they did for 2003. And that club won 101 games.

Guest Anglesault
Blue Jays finish a strong third.

There's an honor.

I think so. They could be as good as the fourth best team in the league. Only the Red Sox, Yankees, and A's are clearly better. And I know you like the argument that winning it all is the only thing that matters, but I disagree. If they finish third, winning 85+, its a good season. They've won many games, and they have a solid foundation to build upon for the future.

I don't believe in a "strong third place finish"

When a team''s goal is to go into the season and win the world series, being outclassed by two teams in your division is a disgrace

And let's be honest here. The division only has three respectable (or semi-respectable) teams. Third place out of three aint good.

The Jays have probably improved themselves more than any team in the AL East, and the only team I can think of in the AL that's done more is the Angels. The Red Sox and Yankees have made more high profile changes, but I really don't think the Yankees are any better than they were in 2003. Adding Vazquez and Brown is nice, but you're losing Clemens and Pettitte at the same time (two pitchers who are probably better than their replacements). They're still a good team, but probably behind the Red Sox now, who added Schilling without subtracting anything substantial from their rotation.

I don't see why you would need to mark it down, since if the Yankees finish 3rd there is no doubt in my mind AS would call it a disgrace.

And I don't really think it would be a disgrace to finish third, when the other two teams are arguably the best in the league. That is just catching a bad draw.

Pettitte is overrated. Compare Pettitte/Vazquez in every catagory outside of W/L record. Vazquez is clearly better. Pettitte had a 4.02 ERA last year. That's decent, but its not anything to write home about.

And Anglesault, speaking as a fan of a non-World Series winning team, a fan can take pride in a strong season. Have the Phillies won it all the last three years? Of course not, but I still take pride in winning each game. There's a big difference between 75 wins and 85 wins.

After the last month or so, the greatest thing I could ever imagine would be AS having to become a Philadelphia sports fan. You don't know heartache til you have been one of us.

Fuck all the Boston whiners, at least they had the Celtics and the Pats. And Chicago, screw them having arguably the greatest NBA player ever along with 6 titles.

When a team''s goal is to go into the season and win the world series, being outclassed by two teams in your division is a disgrace

And let's be honest here. The division only has three respectable (or semi-respectable) teams. Third place out of three aint good.

Well, when your payroll is about 1/4 of what the two teams ahead of you are paying, then I'd say it's pretty damn good to finish within about 10-15 games of them. I wouldn't really call it being outclassed, especially since the Jays record against the Red Sox and Yankees last year was hovering around .500.

I'm not going to lie, I'd like it if the Jays could compete spending wise with the Yankees and Red Sox and compete for the World Series every year, but that's just not going to happen. I pretty much have to put my faith in JP Ricciardi and hope that he knows what he's doing. Based on the 2003 record, it seems like he has some idea and that the team isn't far away from being up there with the Sox and Yankees competiting for the division title. The stated goal is to be ready for the playoffs in '05 and hitting the peak around '07 and '08. Obviously, I'd rather them be in the playoffs every year, but it doesn't seem like that's going to happen so I'll have to hope everything goes according to plan. To me, it's more fun to be a fan of a team who has to try and build up a winner than it is to be one of a team like the Yankees.

Guest Anglesault
And Anglesault, speaking as a fan of a non-World Series winning team, a fan can take pride in a strong season. Have the Phillies won it all the last three years

BWAHAHAHAHA.

Actually, though, I was three when the Phillies won it all. So I made like a little connection.

Get it? You asked if they have done shit in the last three years, which they haven't. but they did in my first three years. Get it?

Of course not, but I still take pride in winning each game. There's a big difference between 75 wins and 85 wins.

Well, obviously. The goal is to not finish under .500.

But if 85 wins isn't enough to win the division or Wild Card (which it probably isn't) all you've really accomplished is keeping your head above water.

Guest Anglesault

Well, when your payroll is about 1/4 of what the two teams ahead of you are paying,

::stops reading::

And Anglesault, 95% of teams don't compete every year. For us, its building up every year. Winning as many games as possible, and hoping it all comes together for a year so the team can win it all. Look at the 50s Dodgers. The "wait til next year" mentality, and the big event when they finally win it. I guarantee you Brooklyn celebrated '55 more than any World Series the Yankees' fans ever got to celebrate.

The last Flyers title was 1976. They were in it in the 80s and then there was that abortion against Detroit. But they have been a bane of my existence due to their constant great regular seasons then they always come up short in the playoffs.

There have been no titles in Philly since 1983. There have been some fun seasons (93 Phils and 2000 Sixers), but people want a parade.

Guest Anglesault
And Anglesault, 95% of teams don't compete every year.

Uhuh.

For us, its building up every year. Winning as many games as possible, and hoping it all comes together for a year so the team can win it all.

Which is what you should do.

But when you fall considerably short (ie. Third place this year) you should not be satisfied with it. Accepting mediocrity will just lead you into a rut.

Guest Anglesault
I worded that incorrectly. It was meant to say "compete for a championship."

I knew what you meant.

There is also a difference between teams who don't compete because they suck and teams who don't try to compete, don't you agree?

Haven't the Flyers won 2 championships and been in the Finals like 8 times?

Something like that. I was wathcing game 7 of Edmonton-Philadelphia on ESPN Classic, and the copy they have is from like channel 57 in Philly or something, and when the Oilers come ahead and get the game-winning goal, and you know that the Oilers are winning it, and they know, and all that, the play-by-play guy says like "The Flyers will be arriving back from Edmonton at (whereever, gives directions to the airport), where you can meet them. And it appears that there will be no parade." That call just gets me. Wow.