TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EdwardKnoxII

Muhammad guilty of murder in sniper slaying

http://www.cnn.com/2003/LAW/11/17/sprj.dcs...rial/index.html

Muhammad guilty of murder in sniper slaying

Jury has death penalty as sentencing option

VIRGINIA BEACH, Virginia (CNN) -- A jury found John Allen Muhammad guilty of capital murder and three other charges related to a slaying during last year's sniper shooting spree.

The seven-woman, five-man jury also found the Army veteran guilty of committing a murder in an act of terrorism, conspiracy and use of a firearm in the commission of a felony. The jury announced its verdict after six hours of deliberations.

The capital murder and terrorism charges carry the death penalty as a possible sentence.

Muhammad was found guilty of killing Dean Harold Meyers, a Vietnam veteran who was cut down by a single bullet that hit him in the head on October 9, 2002, as he filled his tank at a Manassas, Virginia, gas station.

Meyers' family members will testify in the sentencing phase, scheduled to begin at 2:30 p.m. EST. Judge LeRoy Millette Jr. said Monday he will limit victim impact testimony to just Meyers' family, upholding a defense motion to limit the testimony.

The terrorism conviction is under a Virginia state law passed after the September 11, 2001, attacks. The terrorism charge required the prosecution to show that he was responsible for a murder aimed at intimidating the public or influencing the government.

The capital murder charge required prosecutors to show that he was responsible for at least two murders in a three-year period.

CNN Correspondent Jeanne Meserve reported that Muhammad showed no emotion as the verdict was read.

A sister of one of the victims, however, began sobbing. Other family members were present as well and said they were happy with the verdict. One of the female jury members also was in tears as the verdict was read.

Muhammad's defense attorneys had argued there was no evidence he was responsible for the sniper shootings, and that alleged accomplice Lee Boyd Malvo appeared to be the triggerman. But the prosecution argued that Muhammad was the "immediate perpetrator," even if not the triggerman.

The verdict came six weeks after the trial began, and on the day that testimony began in the Malvo trial.

The trial began with jury selection on October 13 with Muhammad, 42, announcing he would represent himself. Later that first week Muhammad switched course and told the judge he would return to his attorneys for representation.

Prosecutors presented testimony from 136 different witnesses and more than 400 pieces of evidence over 14 days. Testimony included witnesses and family members of victims from last year's shooting spree recounting the shootings that terrorized the suburbs of the nation's capital.

Some of the witnesses -- notably crime scene analysts and medical examiners -- made numerous appearances.

Muhammad's attorneys presented five witnesses and gave evidence that lasted less than three hours.

Earlier Monday, prosecutors said that during his confinement earlier this year Muhammad attempted to escape.

The assertion came in arguments before the judge involving what evidence may be used in the sentencing phase if Muhammad is convicted.

Although prosecutors did not say in court when Muhammad attempted to escape, a government source told CNN the incident took place on March 23. But the defense called the allegation an unfounded rumor.

Prosecutor James Willett said Muhammad was put in solitary confinement after his alleged escape attempt.

Defense attorney Jonathan Shapiro argued that word of the escape attempt was only a rumor. But Willett said the commonwealth has evidence.

Willett did not say at what point Muhammad tried to escape.

Muhammad was charged in the October 9, 2002, slaying of Dean Harold Meyers outside a Manassas gas station.

Muhammad and Malvo are accused of being behind the October 2002 sniper slayings that killed 10 people and wounded three in the Washington, D.C., area. They are also charged in sniper shootings in several other states.

Muhammad and Malvo are the first suspects to be charged under Virginia's terrorism law.

I'm glad that he was tried here in Virginia, because we have absolutely no qualms about killing the bastard.

I'd like to do the same to Malvo, but I think he'll manage to escape the needle due to his age.

Guest Wildbomb 4:20

Malvo was the shooter. He's going to roast in hell at an early age as well. What's Virginia's capital punishment method anyways: chair or injection?

As if there was any question.

I don't like the idea of people getting the death penalty, but damn he deserves it. People who don't appreciate life and take it out on others who are innocent shouldn't be alive.

I can see them appealing Mohammed as being totally insane, but I think that's he's getting death either way.

With Malvo, I say he's got a good chance at insanity because he was under total brainwash of his father (or what the defense would say) and Malvo would most likely be locked up in a straight jacket forever.

But, he should probably get death either way.

Edited by HartFan86

Guest Anglesault
Almost all states are injection now.

Which is horsehit in it's own right.

If anyone should die in pain it's him.

Part of why it's injection now has to do with the residual stress on people involved with the execution.

Example- A criminal justice professor I knew at Southern Miss used to be the warden of Parchman penitentiary and had to give up the job after two executions because he couldn't go through with another.

Personally, though, I say that a lot of stress and preparations can be spared if the courts will start timing all the appeals for several inmates to expire on the same night. When you execute 2-3 inmates on the same night, it has the impact of one dying but the monetary costs to the state are less.

Guest Jimbo

no, stoning would be better for this asshole-- everyone should get to throw a rock because he caused 3 weeks of fucking terror around here in the Washington D.C. metropolitain area.

Ya think driving through Montogmery Co. to school, knowing that at any time, some sick fuck in the back of a truck might randomly kill you or someone you love? Fuck that, he didn't hurt anyone in my family, but he sure caused enough stress to warrant a rock to the face.

no, stoning would be better for this asshole-- everyone should get to throw a rock because he caused 3 weeks of fucking terror around here in the Washington D.C. metropolitain area.

Ya think driving through Montogmery Co. to school, knowing that at any time, some sick fuck in the back of a truck might randomly kill you or someone you love? Fuck that, he didn't hurt anyone in my family, but he sure caused enough stress to warrant a rock to the face.

Where'd you go dude? Richard Montgomery here. Yeah, I was a nervous wreck the entire time. I would spend all day worrying if my parents were ok too. My dad works across the street from one of the gas stations...

Almost all states are injection now.

Which is horsehit in it's own right.

If anyone should die in pain it's him.

Bring back public hangings.

That would work, but remember that one execution method page that Marney linked us to many months ago? It said after hangings, the dead bodies start shitting themselves and their eyes pop out and all that gross stuff...the public might not be ready for that.

Here we are:

Until the 1890s, hanging was the primary method of execution used in the United States. Hanging is still used in Delaware and Washington, although both have lethal injection as an alternative method of execution. The last hanging to take place was January 25, 1996 in Delaware.

For execution by this method, the inmate may be weighed the day before the execution, and a rehearsal is done using a sandbag of the same weight as the prisoner. This is to determine the length of 'drop' necessary to ensure a quick death. If the rope is too long, the inmate could be decapitated, and if it is too short, the strangulation could take as long as 45 minutes. The rope, which should be 3/4-inch to 1 1/4-inch in diameter, must be boiled and stretched to eliminate spring or coiling. The knot should be lubricated with wax or soap "to ensure a smooth sliding action," according to the 1969 U.S. Army manual. (The Corrections Professional, 1996 and Hillman, 1992)

Immediately before the execution, the prisoner's hands and legs are secured, he or she is blindfolded, and the noose is placed around the neck, with the knot behind the left ear. The execution takes place when a trap-door is opened and the prisoner falls through. The prisoner's weight should cause a rapid fracture-dislocation of the neck. However, instantaneous death rarely occurs. (Weisberg, 1991)

If the inmate has strong neck muscles, is very light, if the 'drop' is too short, or the noose has been wrongly positioned, the fracture-dislocation is not rapid and death results from slow asphyxiation. If this occurs the face becomes engorged, the tongue protrudes, the eyes pop, the body defecates, and violent movements of the limbs occur. (The Corrections Professional, 1996 and Weisberg, 1991)

Judge for yourself.

Any terrorists sentenced to death should be hung. It's considered the dishonorable way to in the military.

I would be scared of this, honestly, because it would create a new wave of terrorism charges being tried where they aren't really warranted.

We've got enough post-9/11 powers being used against people who haven't done anything close to 9/11, thanks.