TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
The Dames

The Dames' Diatribe on WWE Raw - 11/17/03

A bit harsh with the rankings, but I have to wonder if you rank matches regardles of venues or if you have a different scale for each?

Good diatribe as usual.

I didn't tape Raw last night when I was out, but unless things totally did a 180 tonight, Goldberg has been one of the most consistant sellers on Raw for quite a while. Other than that, Good Show as always, Dames.

Guest Plushy Al Logan

EVOLUTION HID MY VASELINE~!

I missed most of the show, I still wasn't even paying attention, I only saw the "slip" and Jason Voorhees kill Turdberg. While reading your Diatribe I got a bad feeling; since they are talking about Shane...well this writes itself on how bad I feel.

Guest CronoT

I find it odd that so many people liked RAW. I thought it was a piece of garbage this week.

Almost everyone on this board who was complaining about RAW was bitching about Austin "going off half-cocked," or some other euphamism.

Now, Bischoff went power-mad in a way that made anything Austin did look like kiddy-time in the sandbox, and people are calling it great? Sounds rather asinine to me.

I find it odd that so many people liked RAW. I thought it was a piece of garbage this week.

Almost everyone on this board who was complaining about RAW was bitching about Austin "going off half-cocked," or some other euphamism.

Now, Bischoff went power-mad in a way that made anything Austin did look like kiddy-time in the sandbox, and people are calling it great? Sounds rather asinine to me.

The problem I (and others) had with Austin was that he would do or say things to bury the other performers as if he was a wrestler (like the beatdowns when he first came in), when the people he was burying had no shot of getting over on him since he WASN'T a wrestler. Was Jericho ever going to get over on Austin? Was Christian? Of course not.

Austin as face commissioner didn't work because faces just don't work well in positions of authority in the context of most basic wrestling storylines. Bischoff as heel commissioner, though, works perfectly, because you know the faces will get over on him eventually.

Guest CronoT

The problem I (and others) had with Austin was that he would do or say things to bury the other performers as if he was a wrestler (like the beatdowns when he first came in), when the people he was burying had no shot of getting over on him since he WASN'T a wrestler. Was Jericho ever going to get over on Austin? Was Christian? Of course not.

Austin as face commissioner didn't work because faces just don't work well in positions of authority in the context of most basic wrestling storylines. Bischoff as heel commissioner, though, works perfectly, because you know the faces will get over on him eventually.

Okay. Now please explain the difference between what Austin did, and what Bischoff did last night.

The point of a Face "Authority Figure" is to "make sure" the heels don't go crazy and do whatever the hell they want. You want nWo Bischoff running RAW? I'd rather watch WWE Smackdown! than nWo Raw.

What was so good about RAW that made it different any other week?

It was still great, but I thought it was just around the same level as RAW any other time this month. They've all been good.

Okay. Now please explain the difference between what Austin did, and what Bischoff did last night.

The point of a Face "Authority Figure" is to "make sure" the heels don't go crazy and do whatever the hell they want. You want nWo Bischoff running RAW? I'd rather watch WWE Smackdown! than nWo Raw.

Bischoff never came out and tried to glory hog a segment with an over wrestler. Week after week Austin came out with Jericho or Christian or someone and basically sucked up all the heat to himself so he could look like the biggest person on RAW.

All Bischoff did on RAW was his part and it actually helped further a storyline. All the stuff with Austin didn't do much since Austin was already over and didn't need to draw more heat on himself and he was doing things that technically made Jericho right and should have made Austin a heel. Atleast we know Bischoff is a heel.

I actually at one point thought they were slowly turning Austin heel...especially after he stunned Stacy.

Guest CronoT

Bischoff never came out and tried to glory hog a segment with an over wrestler. Week after week Austin came out with Jericho or Christian or someone and basically sucked up all the heat to himself so he could look like the biggest person on RAW.

All Bischoff did on RAW was his part and it actually helped further a storyline. All the stuff with Austin didn't do much since Austin was already over and didn't need to draw more heat on himself and he was doing things that technically made Jericho right and should have made Austin a heel. Atleast we know Bischoff is a heel.

I actually at one point thought they were slowly turning Austin heel...especially after he stunned Stacy.

...and next you'll say they should get rid of RVD or Lance Storm or Hurrican Helms, because they "suck heat" away from heels.

It's a natural rule of wrestling that fans want to see faces get over, and want to see heels get bitch-slapped.

No because they're all willing to go even keel with those guys. I haven't seen any of those guys you listed booked to make anyone their bitch. We were sick of Austin getting to come out all the time and give no leeway to anyone. No one but Austin was coming out of it looking strong until they finally got rid of him at Survivor Series. It was annoying!

What's an example from this week's RAW of something Bischoff did that we're supposed to find bad anyway?

Guest CronoT
No because they're all willing to go even keel with those guys. I haven't seen any of those guys you listed booked to make anyone their bitch. We were sick of Austin getting to come out all the time and give no leeway to anyone. No one but Austin was coming out of it looking strong until they finally got rid of him at Survivor Series. It was annoying!

What's an example from this week's RAW of something Bischoff did that we're supposed to find bad anyway?

*cough*Triple H*cough*

Sorry, had some soda go down the wrong pipe....

Bischoff had multiple "abuses of power" that night that he had no business doing.

1. Banning the 5* Frog Splash specifically to hurt RVD in his title defense.

2. Bischoff "firing" Lita because a few weeks earlier she wouldn't do him a "favor," which was a thinly veiled reference to wanting one or more sexual favors. Kids and pre-teens watch this show, remember?

3. Giving Triple H a 3 on 1 handicap match against Goldberg, and a free World Title match any time he wanted it. After Triple H "put a bounty" on Goldberg because he kicked his ass like a little girl and made him his bitch, and then had Batista "pilmanize" Goldberg's ankle.

I'll say this very clearly, right now. I extremely dislike heel GM's/Comissioners/Owners, what have you. Watching Steve Austin hold Vince with a pop-gun was certainly amusing, but a person in a position of authority has no business abusing his/her power for personal gain or amusement.

I know it's fake; but as I said before, there are impressionable young ones who watch this show. Is this the kind of values we want to teach them?

But like I said above Austin is supposed to be a face so why was he doing things like stunning Stacy?

Bischoff is a heel and it makes sense for him to do those things. You may not like it, but it helped move the night along and worked into the storylines. Bischoff "firing" Lita helped move both the Matt Hardy and Christian/Lita storylines along very well. The rest was part of the "Bischoff does favors for those who helped him at Survivor Series" storyline, which made sense too. Bischoff is now the sole GM so he can do all the power abusing he wants...which sadly will probably either lead to Steph or the return of Austin. That's about the only downside.

All the stuff Austin did helped further a storyline that people wanted to just end.

Edited by LaParkaYourCar