TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Boo_Bradley

HHH likes it Old School

I hope in 24 years that Our Kids don't look at the Necrophila Angle for INSPIRATION.

And its known HHH hated that angle but did it as he was asked to by Vince.

Oh, but, no! "HHH is banging the bosses daughter" so all of the bad storylines MUST be his idea, right? :rolleyes:

I seriously cannot fucking BELIEVE that there's HHHate for Trips stating that he watches old school tapes for inspiration. Bockwinkel and Stevens. That's fucking A+. And putting "fuck Flair" in the title of this thread? Get a life. He didn't mention Flair. So fucking what?

You're all monkeys.

I don't think anyone cares he's watching old tapes. Good for him. I think what's annoying is him taking jabs at cruiserweights because of his own insecurity in being shown up.

Guest RollingSambos

I can see HHH's point to an extent...but he's being incredibly short-sighted to just write off the cruiserweight style completely. Do you think that people would care about Rey Mysterio if he was wrestling HHH's grounded style? People would never buy it.

And guess who does missile dropkicks and moonsaults? Angle, Benoit, Booker...guys who are great workers (except for Booker) but also have the athletic ability to "flop and fly", as HHH says. Insecurity? Maybe.

Now I agree that cruiserweights will probably never be a main event draw outside of Mexico, but HHH is a moron if he thinks that he can take the business back to 1960 and have a rule that says main eventers can never come off the top.

I also find this speech about pure wrestling and storytelling a little hypocritical based on the fact that HHH was a participant in some of the most garbagy, vacant-of-story WWF main events ever: namely, the six-way Hell in the Cell at Armageddon 2000 and the 3 Stages of Hell match with Austin at No Way Out 2001.

If by old-school you mean "Trips will become a pasty fat old man and revert to a ground-based style that, while exciting to fans 25 years ago, will have a hard time getting over with the modern fan", then yes, it looks like he is going in that direction

And I loved the 3 stages of hell match from NWO '01

I couldn't believe HHH won the 3 Stages of Hell match after it was all said and done at the time.

I couldn't believe HHH won the 3 Stages of Hell match after it was all said and done at the time.

I thought this was weird too... it's been said countless times, I'm sure, but I would've thought the face Austin would go over and get his ultimate revenge on Trips for what he did.

When Austin lost, he just seemed to forgot what Trips did and said "oh well,... now, about that title shot..."

Guest Choken One

I still can't believe WWE was stupid enough to do the Two Man Power Trip.

God HHH/Austin would have done SO MUCH business.

Guest RollingSambos

And HHH would have probably never tore his quad. But was WWE stupid to do the 2MPT, or was it HHH pushing for it so that he could scoop Austin's heel heat? Remember, HHH has always wanted to be the working heel.

Guest Boo_Bradley
I hope in 24 years that Our Kids don't look at the Necrophila Angle for INSPIRATION.

And its known HHH hated that angle but did it as he was asked to by Vince.

Oh, but, no! "HHH is banging the bosses daughter" so all of the bad storylines MUST be his idea, right? :rolleyes:

I seriously cannot fucking BELIEVE that there's HHHate for Trips stating that he watches old school tapes for inspiration. Bockwinkel and Stevens. That's fucking A+. And putting "fuck Flair" in the title of this thread? Get a life. He didn't mention Flair. So fucking what?

You're all monkeys.

The Sub title was a "joke" of sorts, I find the HHHate to be funny

I haven't watched RAW since Sept 3rd 2002

So I've expressed my opinion of HHH in my own way

Guest Goodear

The Sub title was a "joke" of sorts, I find the HHHate to be funny

Oh... Ha! Ha!

No seriously, Hunter is a total Flair mark (Unscripted had a list of Hunter's favorite workers ... I paged through it at a book store) and probably has already seen tons of Flair stuff. Bockwinkle and Stevens are a little harder to get a hold of so making a request for their stuff makes way more sense.

Guest THE MIGHTY THOR

So according to HHH, someone like a Bruno Sammartino or a Nick Bockwinkle could still be main event material in 2003.This nimrod doesn't realize that wrestling just like everything else has evolved into something more spectacular than it actually was and the old school pro wrestling will actually bored the shit out of the fans nowadays.Just imagine Rey Mysterio doing a full nelson for about an hour in a match, the crowd will riot the fucking place.

So according to HHH, someone like a Bruno Sammartino or a Nick Bockwinkle could still be main event material in 2003.This nimrod doesn't realize that wrestling just like everything else has evolved into something more spectacular than it actually was and the old school pro wrestling will actually bored the shit out of the fans nowadays.Just imagine Rey Mysterio doing a full nelson for about an hour in a match, the crowd will riot the fucking place.

Yeah, because those seventy different versions of a lucha armdrag or a rana are just sooo exciting, too. :P

Guest Goodear

Right because those Ric Flair and Hulk Hogan guys are sooo not over right now. Generally speaking, wrestlers actually translates across generations. What I mean is that if Nick and Bruno actually were working right now, they wouldn't be working the same exact matches as before. See also veterans like Terry Funk who by working in both eras has evolved along with the times.

Guest THE MIGHTY THOR

Exactly, Terry Funk has evolved with the times, because he knows what the crowd is paying to see. HHH is just looking for excuses to belittle wrestlers that are way more talented than he ever was, him and Austin love the old school style because they can't wrestle like they use to anymore.

Guest THE MIGHTY THOR

Austin can't do shit anymore, he is a man with a broken neck, he is in worse shape than Preparation HHH.

Austin can't do shit anymore, he is a man with a broken neck, he is in worse shape than Preparation HHH.

When Austin was wrestling he could do it better than HHH could dream of.

My only real objection to HHH's statement comes at these lines:

It's the guys that tell the best stories that are in the main events, that are on top. We tell guys that all the time, and it's almost like the more we tell them, the more they try to go the other way.

In other words, once again it's the worker's fault that they can't get over. Do they honestly expect us to believe that the reason Batista and Orton are getting the spotlight now is because they tell the best stories?

Guest Dynamite Kido
In other words, once again it's the worker's fault that they can't get over. Do they honestly expect us to believe that the reason Batista and Orton are getting the spotlight now is because they tell the best stories?

I sure as hell hope not.

Guest Boo_Bradley

Your ignorance is showing.

Right because those Ric Flair and Hulk Hogan guys are sooo not over right now. Generally speaking, wrestlers actually translates across generations. What I mean is that if Nick and Bruno actually were working right now, they wouldn't be working the same exact matches as before. See also veterans like Terry Funk who by working in both eras has evolved along with the times.

I'd say they're more over because of nostalgia than they are ring work.

Guest Boo_Bradley
Right because those Ric Flair and Hulk Hogan guys are sooo not over right now.  Generally speaking, wrestlers actually translates across generations.  What I mean is that if Nick and Bruno actually were working right now, they wouldn't be working the same exact matches as before.  See also veterans like Terry Funk who by working in both eras has evolved along with the times.

I'd say they're more over because of nostalgia than they are ring work.

Screw ring work... If I'm a promoter I want $$$$$$, as long as the people come to see them, I don't care if they're Mexican Jumping Beans or Hosses, as long as they make me my $$$$

Guest TheHulkster

Man, the poor guy tries speaking from the heart about what he loves about the wrestling business and gets a load of unwarranted shit. I agree with him about wrestling. It's the drama of the battle between two different opposing forces that makes professional wrestling great, not a collection of mind-numbing highspots. Some of you need to get a clue about what professional wrestling is really all about. It's good to see a worker with dedication to his craft and not another schmoe who can do 10 moonsaults in a row followed by a twisting senton bomb. If Cornette had said this, the thread would be a whole lot different, but since it's HHH, he's full of shit. Grow up already!

HHH does share some similarities with Nicky Bockwinkle. Bockwinkle was also a loooooong running world champ who often retained under dubious circumstances(HHH has won clean way too often for a heel, non monster, champ). But Bockwinkle was incredible worker with a great moveset, he coupled that with a superb understanding of the pro game and stamina to play out great matches every night with widely varied opponents.

HHH's substance use/bodybuilding have weakened both his moveset(he cant do everything he once could and nothing is at fast/fluent as before) and stamina. His grasp of main event storytelling is definitly very good...but his sad personal choice for the big muscles hurt his abilities to be the consistent 4-star main eventer like a Bret Hart, Ric Flair, or Nicky Bockwinkle.

Man, the poor guy tries speaking from the heart about what he loves about the wrestling business and gets a load of unwarranted shit. I agree with him about wrestling. It's the drama of the battle between two different opposing forces that makes professional wrestling great, not a collection of mind-numbing highspots. Some of you need to get a clue about what professional wrestling is really all about. It's good to see a worker with dedication to his craft and not another schmoe who can do 10 moonsaults in a row followed by a twisting senton bomb. If Cornette had said this, the thread would be a whole lot different, but since it's HHH, he's full of shit. Grow up already!

Oh get off your high horse. We all know that wrestling is about good storytelling. And Trips is a fan of the guys that did that...problem is....HHH CANNOT DO THAT! He's a sub-par worker that thinks because they wrestled a slow style and had good matches then it's fine for him to do it...despite the fact he can't work half as good as them. Then he knows that cruiserweights and highspots easily outshine him so he takes a cheap shot at them. Meanwhile you can have a match with plenty of highspots that is ridden with more psychology and storytelling than anything HHH has ever done.

Guest TheHulkster

I'm not saying you can't have a match with amazing highspots that tells a great story. There have been many instances where that has been the case. I'm just sick of the constant shitting on Triple H even when he tries to give his sincere opinion on something. He says that he watches the greats to pick up storytelling techniques and wishes wrestling nowadays wasn't so spotty, but since it's Triple H, he has to be wrong and there has to be some huge fucking political agenda. I don't think he's shitting on cruiserweights in particular, but moreso guys like RVD and Jeff Hardy who don't try as often to tell a good story in the ring and would much rather hit a bunch of trainwreck highspots.

BTW are you really trying to say that none of HHH's matches tell a good story. Your HHHate has clouded your judgement. I'll freely admit that he's sucked since August, but the guy is probably downcycling and is working through a painful groin injury. When he can turn it on, he turns it on.

Edited by TheHulkster

I think the part that annoys people is that HHH is claiming that people need to improve their ring work to become a main eventer.

We all know that hard work doesn't make you a main eventer in WWE. You have to be the lucky one chosen by Vince. That usually means you have to be big, home-brewed, and using a persona Vince created.

HHH didn't get over by having a ton of old-school matches with lots of restholds and careful pacing.

He got over by being shoved down the fans' throats, given tons of wins, having several garbagey matches with the likes of Foley and Austin, being given tons of airtime after bagging the boss' daughter, having her turn on Vince and taking the WWE shows hostage and running it as the "McMahon-Helmsley Era." Yeah, along the way he started to improve his wrestling, and the Iron Man match with Rock was memorable indeed. Yet, the good matches came after/during the push, not before.

As for the persons he was referring to--RVD must be one. Jeff, though?! Dude...he's been gone for 8 months or so.

Remember that also this was the same guy telling the SD workers during the SD6 period that they don't know how to work.