TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
The Dames

The Dames' Diatribe on WWE Raw 11/24

This was a pretty good segment as it didn’t take FOREVER, like most opening segments do and just like last week, it ended with some match making and planning towards the next pay per view. Batista is pretty decent on the mic for someone of his stature and Michaels showed a believable intensity directed at him that really added something special to this confrontation.

To me, it seemed like the segment lasted forever. I actually watched wrestling with people because I found some guys who watch wrestling. Even though they seem like marks, they even said that this segment went WAY too long for no point.

He brings out the Women’s Champion Molly Holly, to spin the wheel and determine Lita’s match instead. She does so and her match with Victoria is a Steel Cage match. (Side note: This makes Raw Roulette 2 for 2 in terms of starting off with a Steel Cage match.)

Good call on the history note.

My Opinion: I think it was a great decision to make this a steel cage match as it allowed the fans to get behind Lita a little more. Victoria being her opponent also helped as she’s proven to have a mean streak and the only other female competitor that would take advantage of such a match would be Jazz. Matt Hardy costing Lita the match in the fashion that he did got him more heel heat and Christian making the save advanced his romantic storyline with Lita, so I was quite pleased with the post-match antics. The match itself was very short, although I wouldn’t expect a cage match between women to get much airtime. Hell, they don’t get enough time for a regular match. *

Maybe it is just me, but the match was a lot worse than that. I'd give it 1/2* because the match seemed pretty slow with Victoria doing most of the work. Plus the fact that we have seen a steel cage match WAY too many times, even though it was the first women's one.

My Opinion: Of course, this match was to put Randy Orton over, which seems to be a recurring theme for the past 5 months or so. It was quite short, which was to be expected considering Sarge isn’t a full time wrestler by any means. RVD making the save is nothing more than just hyping up their singles encounter at Armageddon, where he’ll most likely drop the IC Title in another effort to get Orton over. 1/4 *

I agree 100% with this. Orton will drop the belt to RVD because they need something to get Orton over since he isn't doing that good of a job himself. You can blame the writers since his character is kind of blah, but whatever. And yes, the match did suck.

Lance Storm and Val Venis are in the back, awaiting some dates. Venis lets Storm know that since these girls are from Utah, they’re pretty conservative, so they have to act like normal guys tonight. The girls show up and they let Storm & Venis know that they’ve heard about wrestlers being a little crazy…so they’re a bit nervous. Storm tells them that there’s nothing to worry about…

You forgot to mention that this segment did NOTHING at all. It was just a waste of time, a stupid filler. They need to do something with Storm, he was one of the few wrestlers WCW did better job getting over than WWE.

Flair once again shows how unselfish he can be by stating that he’s more proud of Evolution than he is of his historic career. He puts over the rest of Evolution again, hyping up tonight’s tag match and Orton’s victory over Slaughter. He then states that in a few moments, Triple H “the World Heavyweight Champion…in my eyes”, will win back the title from Goldberg. Flair messed up and didn’t even miss a beat correcting himself. He’s just THAT good.

That is because Flair is the man.

The match was alright, but once again too short. I’m starting to sound like a damned broken record, aren’t I? It looks as if we’re leading to Cade & Jindrak vs. The Dudleys at Armageddon (with Cade & Jindrak most likely winning since WWE really wants to push them) and Hardy vs. Christian. *1/2

I'd give the match the same star rating, good call on that one. No opinion on what you think of Hardy vs. Christian? It might not be the right time to say it, but you could of drop a line saying that you think it will be a good match.(because it will... ;))

My Opinion: This was probably the best Triple H/Goldberg encounter so far, but damn, the finish was terrible. The Pedigree false finish did nothing but put a damper on Goldberg’s reign as it now seems as if Goldberg would have lost the title back to Trips had Kane not interfered then. Not only that, but Orton’s interference caused the bell to ring, causing confusion amongst those watching as to why the match was continuing. We couldn’t have a clean finish to end this feud, huh? **

I don't know about the other two matches these men had because I can't order PPVs at school. However, this match was decent at best but I'd give it a *1/2. And I was also very confused about the damn bell ringing. Do you really think this feud is over? Not till Triple-H gets "his" title back.

Also, I’m not the best guy to give fashion tips, but Trips really needs to change up his ring attire. The biker shorts are NOT appealing and either Triple H has put on a few unsightly pounds or they’re pretty much making the guy look fat.

I defiently second that one. Triple-H looked like he had a few beers before the show, or maybe Steph got him pregnant.

We couldn’t just have Kane vs. Goldberg? For those of you who haven’t realized this, the last time Triple H wasn’t the World Champion or in a match for the World Title was last year’s SummerSlam 15 months ago! The “World Heavyweight Title” wasn’t even around back then! GET OUT OF THE TITLE PICTURE!!!!

I couldn't agree with you anymore. Good job at the history again.

My Opinion: WHAT!? I was upset when Henry pinned Booker T at Survivor Series, but to pin the man clean in what was basically a hardcore match doesn’t do anything for Booker T at all. I will make no bones about it, push or not, Mark Henry shouldn’t ever get a clean win over Booker T like that. The man was a former WCW World Champion and Mark Henry hasn’t won a damn thing EVER. No, the Euro title doesn’t count, he was given that.

Anyway, biases aside, this was a throwaway hardcore match which will probably lead to some sort of gimmick match between the two at Armageddon. Booker T deserves so much better than this. 3/4 *

Yeah, Henry sucks and will never get over, nuff said. And this match was a 1/4* to me, it did nothing for me at all.

My Opinion: Although not a technical marvel, the match was entertaining while it lasted and DAMN, that finish looked really believable. With Test getting the pin on RVD, I’d say that he would be in line for an IC Title shot, but we all know that the title is just being warmed up for Orton. It’s a shame too, since RVD’s pops have been getting bigger and bigger as of late. Test and Steiner definitely need some sort of direction as well. *1/2

This match was hot for awhile, and had me watching the whole time. Wait, RVD is getting pops and isn't being pushed? NO WAY...

My Opinion: Well, it must say something about the company’s faith in Jackie if the only match they’ll put her in is a bra and panties match. Even then, she mistimed the finish, but at least she didn’t blow every spot she attempted like last time. I just hope this doesn’t lead into a silly feud between her and Lillian Garcia as we don’t need any more non-wrestlers getting involved in feuds.

As for the match, I wouldn’t even know how to rate a bra and panties match, so I won’t. If you think I should, do me a favor and e-mail me with the kind of rating system I should go by or something. Seriously, what’s a ***** bra and panties match supposed to look like?

What does a ***** bra and panties match look like? Go back to Raw on 11/5/01 between...aww nevermind. You can't rate a B&P match because they are a waste of time and not helping the sport. They might help with the ratings department and give the horny males something to cheer for, but it is really dumb. Those women in Salt Lake had a point about protesting Raw or whatever they were doing. I think Vince just did that to shove it in their face -- sorry for the rant. Good point though about the *****B&P match thing. I never thought about that.

My Opinion: This was definitely the match of the night as they didn’t have much competition tonight. While Batista isn’t a bad worker, he’s the least talented worker of the 4 and was used sparingly. He was much more effective that way and his actions after the match definitely make him out to be a monster. Michaels has always done well going up against bigger opponents, so I have no doubt that he’ll be able to get a great match out of him. Of course, the Jericho/Michaels team was the main issue of the night and it ended satisfactory, with Jericho getting revenge for what he assumed was a purposeful right hand by Michaels, yet still obtaining victory. Will Trish see it that way? **1/4

I think we are the few who think Batista isn't a bad worker. You're right, HBK will get a good match out of him, probably a ***3/4 match. And good pick on the rating of this match and the finish of it.

Good job tonight Dames, you've defiently become one of my favorite writers to read. And I'm not saying that to suck up because you're still not ahead of Scott Keith.

I agree 100% with this. Orton will drop the belt to RVD because they need something to get Orton over since he isn't doing that good of a job himself. You can blame the writers since his character is kind of blah, but whatever.

You know... I didn't realize that Orton was the Intercontinental Champ.

Cause you know, RVD has the belt, announced to ring as the IC Champ, has the "Intercontinental Champion" above his name when it's showcased, mentioned by Orton himself that RVD currently is the IC Champ, and so on, and so on.

Oh. And good review Dames.

Guest Choken One
Lance Storm and Val Venis are in the back, awaiting some dates. Venis lets Storm know that since these girls are from Utah, they’re pretty conservative, so they have to act like normal guys tonight. The girls show up and they let Storm & Venis know that they’ve heard about wrestlers being a little crazy…so they’re a bit nervous. Storm tells them that there’s nothing to worry about…

You forgot to mention that this segment did NOTHING at all. It was just a waste of time, a stupid filler. They need to do something with Storm, he was one of the few wrestlers WCW did better job getting over than WWE.

You are aware they had to put 4 titles on him and give him Bret's gimmick to get him over right?

You are aware they had to put 4 titles on him and give him Bret's gimmick to get him over right?

But it worked.

This is Dames' feedback, not Mole's feedback on Dames' feedback!

I think we are the few who think Batista isn't a bad worker. You're right, HBK will get a good match out of him, probably a ***3/4 match. And good pick on the rating of this match and the finish of it.

*Raises hand meekly.* I like Batista. Bit of a guilty pleasure, but I do.

Batista managed to get over in one damn segment with HBK while Randy Orton had a month with him and still couldn't get over. I usually disapprove of the hoss patrol but Batista has got some untapped potential on the mic and in the ring.

Freakin Batista was out for months and he's already ahead of Orton. And now, when RVD is over again and bringing the IC belt back to life....they will give it to Randy to kill it once again.

WAIT! That's it! Triple H wants to call Randy the future so he can still claim he's better than anything the WWE has for the future. The crafty man is pushing for the worse man he could find to prove he is still better than the young guns. THE MAN IS A GOD NOW! All hail the brains of Triple H! He's probably big on Mark Henry as well. The man is smart, I'll give him that.

Anyway, awesome review as always Dames. And using a Boondock Saints reference only enhances your skills.

I also enjoyed Batista no-selling SCSA. I wanted Batista to break him.

Agreed.

No selling non-wrestling talent works fine for me.

And correct me if I'm wrong here, but isn't this the guy who no sold a Big Show chokeslam in OVW because his energy was running so high?

Guest Goodear

Freakin Batista was out for months and he's already ahead of Orton. And now, when RVD is over again and bringing the IC belt back to life....they will give it to Randy to kill it once again.

Let us not get crazy. RVD's reign has been pretty much a lackluster affair with virtually no defenses and no continuous feuds. Not that I'm blaming Rob, but to say he's bringing the belt back to prominance is misleading. A good feud with the belt is what they need and I personally like the seeds they're planting for Armageddon.

Dames: I was wondering about the match ratings today and although I agree with the sentimates from the match quality perspective... I still have to wonder about your takes on the storylines that interweave between the matches. Maybe its me, but I look at this show as an actual good one despite not having a real blow away contest on the card. Your thoughts?

I would agree with you Goodear, to a point. Last week's show was better overall and the matches last week weren't great either. There was just too much sillyness for me this week in terms of the angles.

Dames

Guest Coffey

I like the way that Randy Orton is making the Intercontinental title seem so important. He's talked about it's history, how prestigious it is to him, etc. He even makes it the focus of all of his promos now leading up to his match at Armageddon.

I hope Orton wins it. He'll do more for it than RVD.

Not to downplay RVD, but he doesn't care about the title at all. He recently did an interview where he pretty much stated that he didn't care about it and he has no idea how many times he's held it.

Dames

Anyway, awesome review as always Dames. And using a Boondock Saints reference only enhances your skills.

Thank you, thank you.

And shepherds we shall be, for thee my lord for thee. Power hath decended forth from thy hand so our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. And we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti.

Dames

Guest Coffey

I got that on DVD for $9.99 at K-Mart.

The only deal that may be better than this is the $5.99 I spent on "The Way of the Gun."

I love the Boondock Saints. One of my top ten movies for sure. I mean, I don't like it as much as Scarface, but it's still damn good.

I got it for 9.99 at Best Buy last week. I've seen in 6 times in the past five days.

"Name one thing you're going to need that stupid fuckin' rope for!"

It's in my top 5, closing in on Scarface, which it probably won't ever beat.

Dames

Guest Coffey

Well, it won't ever catch Godfather 1, 2, Scarface, or Goodfellas for me.

It has a chance to compete with First Blood, Rocky & Rudy though. :)

Good job tonight Dames, you've defiently become one of my favorite writers to read. And I'm not saying that to suck up because you're still not ahead of Scott Keith.

Just so I don't forget, thank you for the feedback Mole.

But damn, that's a backhanded compliment if I've ever heard one. Would you say that to a girl that you've just slept with?

"You're good baby...and I'm not just saying that cuz I've had THE BEST!"

Dames

And shepherds we shall be, for thee my lord for thee. Power hath decended forth from thy hand so our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. And we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti.

....GooooOOOOO TEAM! HOORAY! *pom pom waving*

Guest MikeSC

Dames, ONE little correction:

Matt Hardy and Christian have never been on the same side of any battle

Survivor Series 1999 --- Brian Christopher, Scott Taylor, Hardcore & Crash Holly beat Christian, Edge, Matt & Jeff Hardy (14:26) in an "elimination" match. Hardcore was the sole survivor.

-=Mike

Wow.. Sgt. Slaughter... was Michael Hayes too tired?

Lance Storm IS the worst actor ever.

Rosie IS the best actor on RAW and they should do so much more with him.

Unselfish/Spineless, whatever.

I can't stand all the cheap plugs for their crap. I would rather it be REAL cheap with a wink and nod rather than insulting. How about Rosie and Hurricane drinking it to become super strong?

Cade has a pretty sweet elbow drop. The stunt with the belt after the match was the best thing on the show IMO.

I dug HHH/Goldberg right up until it got screwy. Nice, slow-but-constant pace, with lil bits of neat psychology in it. How many times must Goldberg get beaten up? It's getting ridiculous.

*Goldberg walking down the hall*

*Gets jumped and beaten down by security guards*

*Goldberg in the hospital*

*Gets jumped and beaten down by nurses*

*Goldberg leaves Hospital and hails a taxi*

*Gets jumped and beaten down by taxi drivers*

*Goldberg goes to a church to escape*

*Gets jumped and beaten down by nuns and priests.*

Just so I don't forget, thank you for the feedback Mole.

But damn, that's a backhanded compliment if I've ever heard one. Would you say that to a girl that you've just slept with?

"You're good baby...and I'm not just saying that cuz I've had THE BEST!"

Dames

You haven't written a book that will help with me with a research paper. ;)

Mole, incase you didn't know, SK's books are full of errors. Make sure you don't reference the wrong stuff.

Dames

Yeah I knew that.

I know most of the stuff from the books, but I might need to double check something that he wrote.

Plus, I doubt my teacher will catch an error if I write one.

Guest Anglesault

I wonder if there is anyone left that still doubts that Batista is roughly 20 times better than Orton

Dames, it would have been a good idea also to mention that in his four separate appearences on the show, Orton's combined heat didn't approach what Molly got in the first segment.

That's just sad.

Guest Coffey

That says a lot about Molly though. Seriously. Molly is a good heel.

Dames, when are you going to get someone (besides yourself) to write the Raw reviews?

Damnit!