TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vanhalen

Best Live Album

Dream Theater - "Once in a Livetime"

I second that.

Alice In Chains Live is quality stuff, as is The Delicate Sound of Thundr by The Floyd.

My favourite live album is a Pink Floyd UK import cd I own entitled A Rhapsody in Pink: Performed by The Screaming Abdabs. It's from 1971 on the BBC. It starts off with 10+ minutes of "Embryo" and closes with "Echoes." In between there's "Julia Dream", "Atom Heart Mother", "Careful with that Axe, Eugene", "If", and "One of These Days." Awesome stuff.

Dream Theater - "Once in a Livetime"

I second that.

I do not second that. OIAL was horrible, mostly because it was recorded on the final show of their tour and the band members were crapped out, as you can tell from quite a bit of off-play and Labrie's voice struggling like hell

I'd recommend either the rare Live at the Marquee or not-so-rare Live in NYC (the one that coincidentally came out on 9-11-01 and the flaming heart logo with the NYC skyline, including two certain buildings, in the fire)

Has anyone heard I&W Live In Tokyo, I wonder if it's any good.

Live Scenes from New York is awesome. To bad Kevin didn't take up the offer to come and play SDV live and do a 2 keyboard version of Learning To Live.

There's some random Japanese bootleg one I've seen knocking around, 2 disc but it's £30 and I've never had the cash when I've seen it. Bah.

Guest Blas

Iced Earth - Alive in Athens

I'm not much an Iced Earth fan but this live album totaly fucken kicks ass.

Black Sabbath - Past Lives

Recorded in the 70s when Sabbath was at their best, great shit. Especialy "Megalomania"

Vader - Live in Japan

Polish death metal greats, they sound awesome live. And hearing "Domi Arigato Tokyo" in a thick polish accent rules.

The love here for Dream Theatre always muddles me, because I can't help but think "Aren't they the guys who do Life In A Northern Town" before I remember that was (the far superior) Dream Academy.

Fave live album would have to be Billy Joel's Songs In The Attic, but only because Bananarama never put out a live album.

It's musical wankery and lots of people, myself included want to hear it.

There's lots of arguements about if their music has soul or direction, but most of the time it's not something I look for.

Dream Theater are amazing technical and always deliver on that fact and there are few bands that top them.

They way they are probably makes them very marmite to some people, but you can't doubt the skill that's there.

Iced Earth AIA is definitely recommended for the metal fan

Going back to rock though, I'm somewhat dismayed by the lack of love for King Crimson. If I could get their entire live discography (which is quite a bit), I would. Their studio work doesn't even compare.

For the record, the 3-CD Alive in Athens is only available in Europe, because they wanted to keep the costs down State-side. Course, they're more popular in Europe, so they didn't have to worry about that.

Though I have heard of the 3-CD set floating around...I know this one guy who told me he has it, but I've yet to see proof.

I bought the 2-CD USA version here back in '99, only to later find out about the 3-CD Euro version a year later.

Rather than buy a whole new set, I just d/led all the songs from the 3rd CD and burnt it

Guest Brian

Miles Davis at Filmore East. Think Bitches Brew live.

Dave Brubeck at Carnegie is electric. Twenty-two minutes of Castillan Drums (with one of the most incredible drum solo you'll ever hear), extended Blue Rondo, and Take Five being played so fast.

Duke Ellington at Newport is arguably Duke at his best. Dimuendo and Crescendo in Blue with that extended, 27 chorus Paul Gonsalves solo.

This was in mid '00, at the peak of Napster and being able to pretty much get any song you wanted. After they fell, I went to Audiogalaxy. After the RIAA castrated Audiogalaxy, it's pretty much been Kazaa for me, even though it's much more hit'n'miss, and I can't get near as much stuff as before

So I guess in that way, the RIAA succeeded

MM, if I have time to get off my arse, I could rip and encode for you.

But that's an if, with it being the end of term and all for the next four days.

Does Cenutry Media's Europe site do over seas ordering or some other site?

Might have been the case.

Or he got it on holiday/someone else that went on holiday.

Jeff Buckley's Live at Sin-E is another favourite.

Nice choice.

I can still remember when he opened for Juliana Hatfield at the Trade Winds in NJ. (Must have been 93 or 94). He had the crowd eating out of the palm of his hands with that powerful voice of his. Godlike.