TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Kamui

What type of policy means the most to you?

What type of policy means the most to you?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. What type of policy means the most to you?

• Foreign
    • Social
    • Economical

Guest Kamui

Since I've seen lots of people on this board who mix-and-match liberal and conservative views on different policies, I'm wondering which of these core three (foreign policy, social policy, and economic policy) are most important to everyone here (and which is second-most, I suppose), and why? This is good to know even if you're all liberal or all conservative when it comes to each type of policy.

Anyway, my personal choice is social. A candidate could have the best economic and foreign policy in the world, but if they don't meet my list of social requirements (pro-choice, a commitment to keeping religion out of the public sector, at the very least pro-civil unions for gays but preferbly pro-marriage from them, more like that), then I won't vote for them. After social the second-most important policy to me is their economic one- I don't really care about foreign compared to those two, since I'm an isoloatinist and no mainstream candidate is going to share all of my views anyway.

We're in the middle of war, where the people we are fighting against would be as happy to kill you as they would George Bush, and your main concerns are civil unions for homosexuals and keeping public places free of anything religious? I guess it's nice to live in a blissfully ignorant world.

Yeah, that would be a foreign policy vote for me.

You know this is actually a really good question that I consider to be particularly relevant for myself since I usually am fiscally conservative and socially liberal.

At this point, I consider foreign policy to be the most important. There is too much going on with wars right now and other potential threats that I feel this has to be paramount.

Second would be social policy, mainly because I think that the economy isn't impacted by policy changes as much as most people believe. Personal freedoms are very important to me and I would not want an elected official to try and take them away.

Guest Kamui
We're in the middle of war, where the people we are fighting against would be as happy to kill you as they would George Bush, and your main concerns are civil unions for homosexuals and keeping public places free of anything religious? I guess it's nice to live in a blissfully ignorant world.

Bother reading my explanation? I care about foreign policy but no candiate's going to share mine anyway, so it's not nearly as important to me when it comes to choosing a candidate as social and then economical.

Anyway....if you guys are so for foreign policy why aren't you voting in the poll?

Guest BDC
I just go by how a candidate looks...

I'm not surprised.

God bless it all, kid, you sure as hell don't know what a JOKE is do you?

Guest BDC
And come on, you can't think that ol' monkey ears is better than Edwards, can you?

All about the hair, Tyler. Oooh yeah...

In all seriousness (and this is an interesting topic), I picked economical because I usually pick the candidate that will screw me out of my paycheck the least.

And come on, you can't think that ol' monkey ears is better than Edwards, can you?

Monkey ears? You RACIST.

Let's see:

bush4a.jpg

edwards.jpg

I admit, Edwards has it going on, but I can't stand guys that speak with a drawl. However, he does look better than this...

capt.dtb10111221759.howard_dean_dtb101.jpg

Edited by kkktookmybabyaway

Guest Wildbomb 4:20

If I could be serious for a minute...

I voted social.

Now back to your regularly scheduled looney bin that is the CE folder.

I voted foreign because that's what's most important at the moment. We can't even think of enjoying our social freedoms if we have maniacs around the world plotting to kill us. Then economic (I support tax cuts, strong business). I'd flip the 2 if we weren't at war. Then social policy which for the most part I don't give a crap about if it doesn't effect me. Gay rights? God on a monument? Abortions? I really don't give a damn, none of them offend me to any great degree so I'm willing to defer to the majority and not worry too much about it. Our security and economy are much more important...

We're in the middle of war, where the people we are fighting against would be as happy to kill you as they would George Bush, and your main concerns are civil unions for homosexuals and keeping public places free of anything religious?  I guess it's nice to live in a blissfully ignorant world.

BINGO.

EDIT: I see at least 2 other posters that agree with foreign policy being the most important current issue, so where's the votes?

Edited by Jeff Jarrett, God

In general, it would be economics, but right now, I'd have to go with foreign policy. Until a few situations get straightened out and dealt with, that will remain the most important factor for me.

Guest Olympic Slam

Food is good to eat. Houses are good to live in. Therefore, economics is the most important thing. Whoever has the best plan for keeping food flowing into me and a place to do it in is what matters most.

Goal #1: Put food on table and roof over head.

Goal #2: Protect it.

Everything else is a bonus. I would certainly like luxuries as well, and this is where the left-wing governments tend to nail me big time through skyrocketing taxes. Should gays have the right to marry? Sure. But I'm a white Anglican heterosexual male. I've already got everything I need socially. When the economy is lousy, it affects me personally.

Thus, in order.

1. Economic

2. Foreign (Especially since Canada/US relations are vital for us. Something else Chretien has soured.)

3. Social

Like Dr. Tom said, foreign policy can increase or decrease in importance according to world events. Right now it is my number one concern. But overall economic factors tend to be the most dominant.

Guest Kamui

I'm not surprised.

God damn, ADULT, you sure as hell don't know what SARCASM is, do you?

Guest Kamui
In all seriousness (and this is an interesting topic)

Yes, well, I have to contribute SOMETHING to this board other than neo-nazi propaganda and a whole lot of gheyness, right?

Guest BDC

I'm not surprised.

Well, well. Listen, you've been making real sure everyone knows that you're so serious about stuff you can't see straight. Given that context, how exactly am I supposed to know that you're trying to convey sarcasm without some kind of indicator. After all, voice inflection flows over text so easily.

Guest Kamui

I'm not surprised.

Well, well. Listen, you've been making real sure everyone knows that you're so serious about stuff you can't see straight. Given that context, how exactly am I supposed to know that you're trying to convey sarcasm without some kind of indicator. After all, voice inflection flows over text so easily.

Yes, I really thought kkk picked his political candidates based on looks. Holy fuck. I thought that it'd be kind of OBVIOUS that it was sarcasm, y'know, but I guess in the future I'll just have to add a million smileys for the retarded people in the audiance (read: you).