TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Smues

Saddam possibly captured

It's really mind blowing that some people refuse to accept that this is a good thing. Saddam is one of the worst leaders in the history of the world. He was responsible for hundreds of thousands of deaths. The fact that he was captured is of extreme historical significance and truely a great day for the rest of the world.

I would never vote for Bush. I don't think this thread is the place to get into that. But if Bush gets elected because he made this country a safer place by getting rid of Saddam (and probably Bin Laden, whom I believe to be dead), I don't think it's too bad of a thing.

On a side note, I don't know how people expect to find WMDs. The Iraqis could not manage to get Saddam out of the country, I don't see how they could have possibly smuggled weapons out.

On a side note, I don't know how people expect to find WMDs. The Iraqis could not manage to get Saddam out of the country, I don't see how they could have possibly smuggled weapons out.

Well, a lot of us believed that he buried them when it became evident that a US attack was inevitable. We've found buried trailers, buried planes, buried everything in Iraq. Tons of place in the desert to bury stuff, so why not WMDs?

Guest JMA

Personally, I supported the US going into Iraq to oust Hussein (and I'm a pretty liberal guy). I did not, however, support the WMD claims. But this is hardly the place to discuss such issues.

Like C Dubya said, people should accept this as a good thing and move on.

Guest Salacious Crumb

I haven't really seen the news today.

Can anyone tell me what the Democratic candidates have said, if anything?

Guest Salacious Crumb
Can anyone tell me what the Democratic candidates have said, if anything?

Go to Real Clear Politics and look on the right-hand side. Below Hussein's mugshot there should be links to statements from all the candidates.

Thanks. They did what I thought they would. Too bad Saddam's capture was made more important by their constant harping on him not being caught and Dean/Kerry at least try to downplay the importance they placed on him.

Guest MD2020
We did a good thing today. We did something that we seldom get to do --- we captured an EVIL man and will FORCE him to face JUSTICE. We removed the spectre of his return from the minds of Iraq.

And all it took were 3,000+ innocent Iraqis and 455 (and counting) coalition troops!

Steal that from the Something Awful forums? :lol:

How many parties do we need? I get tired after about 2.

You can honestly look at the 2 leading candidates we had in the last election and call that a good choice? That was like choosing which rusty instrument you want inserted into your bunghole.

Guest Salacious Crumb
How many parties do we need?  I get tired after about 2.

You can honestly look at the 2 leading candidates we had in the last election and call that a good choice? That was like choosing which rusty instrument you want inserted into your bunghole.

Like any of the 3rd party choices were better.

Guest MikeSC

When compared to Nader, LaRouche, or Buchanan --- YUP, easily.

-=Mike

...I'd vote for a homeless guy under a bridge before I'd vote for friggin' Nader

On a side note, I don't know how people expect to find WMDs.  The Iraqis could not manage to get Saddam out of the country, I don't see how they could have possibly smuggled weapons out.

Well, a lot of us believed that he buried them when it became evident that a US attack was inevitable. We've found buried trailers, buried planes, buried everything in Iraq. Tons of place in the desert to bury stuff, so why not WMDs?

I just feel that if Saddam had had available WMD's he would have used them on us when the war started. I'll be really surprised if any turn up.

But, I still feel that this is an amazing job by the troops overseas and I feel much better about things now that this tyrant has been captured.

On a side note, I don't know how people expect to find WMDs.  The Iraqis could not manage to get Saddam out of the country, I don't see how they could have possibly smuggled weapons out.

I just feel that if Saddam had had available WMD's he would have used them on us when the war started. I'll be really surprised if any turn up.

Then again, if he did he'd immediately damn himself and justify the US actions. If he didn't he could hurt the US continually on the international level because it looks as though he didn't have the WMDs. It's kind of a "Screwed if you do, screwed if you don't" decision, but that's what it probably came down to.

Then again, if he did he'd immediately damn himself and justify the US actions. If he didn't he could hurt the US continually on the international level because it looks as though he didn't have the WMDs. It's kind of a "Screwed if you do, screwed if you don't" decision, but that's what it probably came down to.

Yeah, but I don't think he'd put that much thought into it. Plus, even without using anything, he has to know he's pretty much screwed. I would have expected Saddam to try to go out with a bang and use everything he had to try to do as much damage as possible.

I would have expected Saddam to try to go out with a bang and use everything he had to try to do as much damage as possible.

Given his meek surrender, don't we know now that that wouldn't have squared with his psychology? And in that case, is it still so hard to believe that he wouldn't have used any WMDs he possessed? If not, isn't it obvious that the mere fact that he didn't use WMDs doesn't say anything, anything at all, about whether or not he possessed them?

I would have expected Saddam to try to go out with a bang and use everything he had to try to do as much damage as possible.

Given his meek surrender, don't we know now that that wouldn't have squared with his psychology? And in that case, is it still so hard to believe that he wouldn't have used any WMDs he possessed? If not, isn't it obvious that the mere fact that he didn't use WMDs doesn't say anything, anything at all, about whether or not he possessed them?

I disagree with you on this. I think that the fact that he didn't use them increases the likelyhood of him not possessing WMDs. And his meek surrender was after 7 months of hiding out. You can't really say that that is an accurate representation of his mental state when the war was ongoing and the Iraqi's still occupied Baghdad.

If I'm wrong, good. I hope that we do find WMDs, I'm just not convinced that they're there to be found. If we find them it makes our position with the war seem more just to the rest of the world and the weapons would stay out of the hands of terrorists.

Guest hunger4unger

I don't believe that there were any WMD's when the Invasion Of Iraq was launched. Let's not forget who sold him various weapons in the first place.

Whilst Saddam must stand trial and receive punishment for his horrible crimes against his own people, I don't think it is fair for him to be tried by a court consisting of an Iraqi judge and jury (as reported) as they are bound to have a biased view, therefore it not being a fair trial. He should be tried in an international court of law.

A point I would like to raise is how many 'blackmail bombers' will come out of the woodwork, for example "release Saddam or I blow up this building".

The situation over there is hugely complicated and to be blunt, a mess.

As for anyone voting for Bush next year - I wouldn't bother the fix is already in!

After some consideration, I wonder about you SideFX. You seem to be the most partison guy on the board, and that's saying a lot.

Perhaps you need more time to consider.

Between you and Marney, I wonder whose nipples got the hardest when they heard the news this morning. I got money on you.

Well, I probably have them both beat--my fucking DICK got hard...

Guest JMA
Between you and Marney, I wonder whose nipples got the hardest when they heard the news this morning. I got money on you.

Well, I probably have them both beat--my fucking DICK got hard...

Was that from the capture of Saddam or Saddam himself? ;)

Guest Cerebus
He should be tried in an international court of law.

Yeah that way fifteen years from now when he's aquited I'll be able to tell my kids about how I remember the day he was captured.

As for anyone voting for Bush next year - I wouldn't bother the fix is already in!

So you're not polluting the voting pool with your idiotic vote. Could you please do the same with the genetic pool by not breeding?

Guest JMA
Yes, being a right-wing nut, I want to fuck Saddam Hussein.

To each his own...

Another VERY funny post.

I appreciate you saying that.

Yeah that way fifteen years from now when he's aquited I'll be able to tell my kids about how I remember the day he was captured.

Right because I mean those Nazis got off so easy at Nuremberg. And perhaps you could inform me on all the Serbian war criminals that the Hague has released?

Guest SideFXs
After some consideration, I wonder about you SideFX. You seem to be the most partison guy on the board, and that's saying a lot.

OK, I am partisan, but you have a "Dean for America!" signature?

Edited by SideFXs

So, how do they know it's Hussein?

Didn't he have at least half a dozen look-alikes to do his public engagements?

So you're not polluting the voting pool with your idiotic vote. Could you please do the same with the genetic pool by not breeding?

:rolleyes:

Oh look. Now we're going to include unnecessary, unfunny, nasty comments in the Current Events folder....that's a shock. Taking lessons from some of the other posters around here, are we? You were able to get your point across without looking like an asshole - why change your method?

My view: They caught Saddam. Good for the troops. THEY did what they set out to do, and accomplished the goal THEY were given. Bush's first goal in the war on terrorism was to bring Bin Laden to justice, that ultimate evildoer...you know, the guy responsible for 9/11. Let him accomplish THAT goal, then I'll say he did a good job. The troops in Iraq get an A for doing their job and doing it well. Bush gets an incomplete.

Guest hunger4unger

Actually, I believe he'll be dead within 10 years regardless. He's 66 now. I stand by my comments that he should be tried by an international court - what do you want to happen to him? Understand that these things do take time. You can't just shoot the guy in the head.

As for the comment regarding the voting - i'm not sure what sparked your immature attack. I suggest you do a little research on what happened during the last US election, especially on what happened during the count.

Also, check your spelling on 'partison.' Obviously another victim of our liberal public education system.

And in trying to defend yourself you just further prove his point. If something is poor it must get the "liberal" adjective added on to it.

Guest JMA

I think what's he's trying to say, Rob, is that you mainly post here to rip on Dems and/or libs. Is that an incorrect statement?