TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mole

Beating the system...

There is a Sam Goody near my school which was going out of business, so everything was 50% off. I got SummerSlam 2003 for $12.99.

Then I go home, and head my way to the mall to exchange SummerSlam and save myself 13 bucks. I go into Suncoast to browse around, and I see CSI for $99.99. I couldn't believe how expensive it is, so I had an idea.

I went to Target, and bought CSI for $65.99.

I went back to Suncoast, exchanged it along with SummerSlam and got Firefly, Boogie Nights and Bully. I saved myself $45, which I think is a great idea.

Beating the system is great.

I've done that a couple times. It's not bad, yeah. Another one is to say some other store has something for cheaper. A lot of times they'll give it to you for that price without verification. Walmart almost always goes along with it.

I've done that a couple times. It's not bad, yeah. Another one is to say some other store has something for cheaper. A lot of times they'll give it to you for that price without verification. Walmart almost always goes along with it.

Now that's a good idea.

Guest Retro Rob
Everything's more at Suncoast. I don't see why people buy at mall stores.

I got X2 for $14.99 at FYE. I was shocked to see it that cheap.

Everything's more at Suncoast. I don't see why people buy at mall stores.

Unfortunately, Suncoast ends up being the only place that actually has what I'm looking for half the time, although truth be told, if the Circuit City I work at sold WWE DVDs I'd probably never walk into Suncoast again.

another great way to do this is to buy DVDs secondhand from like swappers store, for approx $5 and then take them to a big chain store and get twice that in store credit.

Guest TheGregWitul

I was able to score big with two methods. The first method was being able to spot a great deal, and with some luck, abusing this deal to no end. My college campus was having a sale on cds, everything at seventy-five percent off. I would buy eight or ten cds at a tme and return them to the FYE at the mall. So, for under forty dollars, I would get around two-hundred dollars in store credit. If I were to take it further, I would use the two-hundred on some box sets that were not on sale at other stores (The James Bond box sets, for example). I would buy the sets at eighty-five dollars and then return them to Media Play for one-hundred and twenty dollars. I was able to pick up The Complete Far Side collection utilizing this method...

This Christmas, I went dvd crazy, as I was able to score some deals taking advantage of method two. This method involved price swapping, in the form of switching a sticker from one set onto another. I was able to abuse this a couple years ago, as a friend of mine was working at Media Play, and would score massive discounts for us using this method. He was eventually fired for selling the Eminem album early, so if I was in need of a discount, I would have to create one myself. This Christmas, however, I was able to get some great deals:

The day before Christmas Eve: I nabbed myself The Complete Plante Of The Apes six DVD collection, for the price of $35.99.

Christmas Eve: The Complete Monty Python's Flying Circus fourteen DVD collection, purchased for a cool $56.

The day after Christmas: The complete The Outer Limits collection (Season one and two) for $17.99 each.

With school out of session for the winter (And the cds running low), I've been lucky to stock up on DVD sets for a ridiculously low price. With a total of one-hundred dollars in gift cards to use at Borders, I may look into picking up one more set from Media Play, so that I can return it for credit at Borders. Anything helps, especially when you consider that I collect Criterion Collection movies, and they are not cheap.

Method one basically was being in the right place at the right time, as was method two, in a sense. One could take advantage of the second method if they were to go about risking trouble to switch price tags, but the best bet is to know someone on the inside, and have them do it for you. It keeps you covered, as you don't have to do the dirty work. Hell, the stores don't lose out, and if they do hurt at all, it is from the more corrupt shit that goes down in retail (Managers and employees flat out walking out with goods, as opposed to paying for them, even at a reduced cost)...

j.

Don't you need a receipt to return anything? That's how it is in Canada...

And seeing how all receipts are different how would you go about taking your stuff to another store without them noticing that your receipt is different?

There's probably something I'm missing.

You're supposed to have a receipt to return something, but usually if you take all the tags off and just leave it in the shrink wrap you can bring it in to another store and say you got it as a gift but you already had it or something and they usually don't care. The store is just going to sell it for their price anyway, so it's not like they lose money.

Guest TheGregWitul

Yeah, method two is stealing, regardless of one's morals. However, it's good to know somebody on the inside that can hook you up with the discount. I know somebody that currently works at Media Play that is in good with the store manager. Some of the shit they pull may get them both in trouble if it was discovered, but since it's not, and since I'm not placing myself at risk to get in trouble, I take advantage of the discount. It's not like the store hurts from it, to begin with. I used to work in retail and there were all sorts of loopholes so stores were protected from these kinds of things...And anyway, with me, I would never steal something from somebody else, but if I can get a great discount at the cost of a corporation, I'm all for it...

j.

I went back to Suncoast, exchanged it along with SummerSlam and got Firefly, Boogie Nights and Bully. I saved myself $45, which I think is a great idea.

Ok, I'm trying to follow this. You spent $13 and $66 on the DVDs you exchanged, so you spent $79 total. And you exchanged that $79... for 3 movies??? Maybe I'm missing something, or maybe you left out a detail or two, but I don't see how that could possibly be a good deal for you.

Well, it's not a *great* deal, but Firefly isn't a movie - it's 3-disc, full run of a 14-episode show. So I think it retails for $40.

I'm baffled that this actually works. None of the stores in my hometown would bite on this for a second.

Guest Retro Rob

Don't they make you show a receipt or something? Maybe they just don't trust us around here.

Ok, I'm trying to follow this. You spent $13 and $66 on the DVDs you exchanged, so you spent $79 total. And you exchanged that $79... for 3 movies??? Maybe I'm missing something, or maybe you left out a detail or two, but I don't see how that could possibly be a good deal for you.

Okay.

I bought SummerSlam for $12.99 and CSI for $65.99 which equals $78.99 times 6% sales tax in CT equals $83.73 (I got SummerSlam in NY, which is 7% sales tax, but who cares).

I went to Suncoast, to exchange SummerSlam which goes for $24.99 and CSI which goes for $99.99 which equals $124.98 times 6% sales tax in CT equals $132.48.(I can't remember if you get the sales tax back or not. Lets just say I did)

I got FireFly for $49.99, Boogie Nights for $26.99 and Bully for $24.99 which equals $107.97 times 6% sales tax in CT equals $114.45. I also got a gift certificate for $24.39 at Suncoast.

I spent $83.73 on SummerSlam/CSI and exchanged them for Boogie Nights, Bully, and Firefly which got me $114.45 plus the $24.39 gift certificate which equals $138.84. $138.84(The amount I got for exchanging) minus $83.73(Money I spent on the DVDs) equals $55.11. I saved $55.11 by beating the system, if I did my math correct.

And there is no receipt needed because I am not returning them, I am exchanging them, as if it were a gift.

Reading through it and translating it into something much easier:

He returned Summerslam and CSI to the wrong store and made $45 on the "exchange" because of the price difference. Then he paid too much for all of the three DVDs he actually bought.

People do it all of the time. Like when TRU has those buy 2 get one free deals, people will get a game from TRU and take it to Target or maybe another TRU and say you already had it and you dont want it. If you have the receipt they will give you a refund, without the receipt they might just give you store credit. Thats still 54.11 (in Texas) that you can use to go buy a cell phone or something.