TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ANKLELOCK

USC Trojans

Let me just end this. USC played a great team yesterday, the best they've played all year, and destroyed them. Oklahoma (and LSU) plays a great team on Sunday, the best they've played all year, and if they dominate like USC did then there is no point in arguing anymore as they are equally good.

Here's a question I've been asking for since the end of the Big XII Championship game and I've never gotten an answer to it.

OU destroyed #5 (at the time) Texas. They got destroyed by #13 (at the time) Kansas State.

Who else did they play that was so damn tough? And I want rankings (current AND at the time if possible).

If you can tell me that, maybe I'll buy into it, but the only two games I remember thinking OU was going to have trouble in were those two.

Hell, I'll ask the USC and LSU supporters the same question, as this does go into the strength of schedule argument.

Using statistics to say a team is better is like saying USC is better than Oklahoma because Oklahoma got destroyed by K-State, who is getting killed by Ohio State, who got beat by Michigan, who got beat by USC.

Hmm.....an argument that is basically trying to be used her.

OU beat better opponents than USC. OU played better football all around than USC. It's no coincedence that the statistics back them up in addition to the visual proof.

Okay, time to step in on this.

If you can't debate this without resorting to childish insults, then either shut the hell up or get this back to be civilized.

Anymore petty shit by either party results in a banning as this is the second time I've had to stop something like this.

Let me just end this. USC played a great team yesterday, the best they've played all year, and destroyed them. Oklahoma (and LSU) plays a great team on Sunday, the best they've played all year, and if they dominate like USC did then there is no point in arguing anymore as they are equally good.

But OU and LSU are playing a team that is better than Michigan. They're going to have a tougher time dominating than USC because the team they are facing is better than what USC had to work with.

Guest Deebo
Well it's assumed that USC kept their starters in in their games(Unless you know otherwise) so in terms of these two teams, it'd be a safe comparison right?

No, USC did not keep their starters in the game in any of their blowouts. And I know for a fact that USC took their starters out at halftime against Arizona and UCLA

Here's a question I've been asking for since the end of the Big XII Championship game and I've never gotten an answer to it.

OU destroyed #5 (at the time) Texas. They got destroyed by #13 (at the time) Kansas State.

Who else did they play that was so damn tough? And I want rankings (current AND at the time if possible).

If you can tell me that, maybe I'll buy into it, but the only two games I remember thinking OU was going to have trouble in were those two.

Hell, I'll ask the USC and LSU supporters the same question, as this does go into the strength of schedule argument.

OU also beat Oklahoma State. Who I believe was ranked in the top 25 at the time and was going in to today's game.

They also beat Alabama. I'm not sure what there ranking at the time was but I believe it was 22.

Well Dama if USC is inferior to LSU and OU then they shouldn't have dominated Michigan. ;)

What? Who's to say that LSU and OU wouldn't have dominated Michigan?

Fact is that it's going to be harder for OU and LSU to dominate one another because they are facing such good teams as opposed to USC who didn't face as good a team as OU and LSU are facing.

By the way.....why is the AP National Championship considered the "real" national championship?

And the announcers of this game just said that the Sugar Bowl is only the BCS national championship game. I guess they are as biased as Keith Jackson yesterday huh Dama.

Well Dama if USC is inferior to LSU and OU then they shouldn't have dominated Michigan. ;)

Ummmm... no one said USC was inferior, played a weaker schedule, yes, but I'd say all 3 teams are practically even talent-wise and coaching-wise.

OU destroyed #5 (at the time) Texas.  They got destroyed by #13 (at the time) Kansas State.

Who else did they play that was so damn tough?  And I want rankings (current AND at the time if possible).

OU also beat Oklahoma State. Who I believe was ranked in the top 25 at the time and was going in to today's game.

They also beat Alabama. I'm not sure what there ranking at the time was but I believe it was 22.

OK, that's one-third of the equation. Now where are the USC and LSU fans to back up their claims?

And the announcers of this game just said that the Sugar Bowl is only the BCS national championship game. I guess they are as biased as Keith Jackson yesterday huh Dama.

Well they were still saying it was the national title. They said "This is for the BCS National Title, last night was for the AP National Title"

They didn't try to diminish one like the announcers from last night were doing.

It isn't USC's fault for a shitty schedule. They played the best they could, and they did just as well as OU and LSU record-wise. And since we're comparing shit, USC lost by three, LSU and OU lost by double digits. Cal is underrated. Texas and KSU are overrated as we're finding out. I think the national title should be USC vs LSU. That's my opinion and yes I admit it's a bit biased.

Well Dama, USC is also #1 in the Coaches Poll. Not just the AP.

Yes but they aren't going to be #1 in the Coaches poll after Sunday's game.

Yet OU is #1 in the BCS.

What I don't understand is this. I realize the BCS is flawed. But why are the Coaches poll and the AP poll considered the godly end all be all of everything? They are flawed as well.

Let's have fun with who lost to who:

Oklahoma lost to Kansas State

Who lost to Marshall

Who lost to Troy State

LSU lost to Florida

Who lost to Mississippi

Who lost to Memphis

Who lost to UAB

Who lost to Troy State

USC lost to California

Who lost to UCLA

Who lost to Colorado

Who lost to UAB

Who lost to Troy State

TROY STATE IS #1 BABY!!!

Let's have fun with who lost to who:

Oklahoma lost to Kansas State

Who lost to Marshall

Who lost to Troy State

LSU lost to Florida

Who lost to Mississippi

Who lost to Memphis

Who lost to UAB

Who lost to Troy State

USC lost to California

Who lost to UCLA

Who lost to Colorado

Who lost to UAB

Who lost to Troy State

TROY STATE IS #1 BABY!!!

I can't argue that. All hail Troy State.

Three teams vs. ranked opponents. And I am not giving any credit to a team being a certain rank when the teams met. Final rankings count, no other.

Oklahoma beat

no. 5 Texas

no. 22 Oklahoma State

lost to

no. 10 Kansas State

LSU

beat:

no. 11 Georgia (2X)

no. 18 Mississippi

lost to:

no. 17 Florida

USC

beat:

no. 14 Washington State

But OU and LSU are playing a team that is better than Michigan. They're going to have a tougher time dominating than USC because the team they are facing is better than what USC had to work with.

*sigh* I give up. Tried to give a nice little, honest answer to end this nonsense and you don't budge off your soapbox.

They aren't flawed. Actual people who understand injuries, margin of victory, and all the intangibles vote in the polls.

Also people who are prone to a bias and also pay attention to WHEN a loss was while it should really have no bearing.

They basically look at what is happening now. They don't set back and look at what has occured over the season.

*sigh* I give up. Tried to give a nice little, honest answer to end this nonsense and you don't budge off your soapbox.

Well your argument is flawed.

You're basically saying

"They'll have to dominate there opponent like USC did despite the fact that their opponent is better than USC's opponent, thus is harder to dominate."

It isn't USC's fault for a shitty schedule. They played the best they could, and they did just as well as OU and LSU record-wise. And since we're comparing shit, USC lost by three, LSU and OU lost by double digits. Cal is underrated. Texas and KSU are overrated as we're finding out. I think the national title should be USC vs LSU. That's my opinion and yes I admit it's a bit biased.

Never said it was their fault. Also, margin of loss/victory means dick. Losing to a sub-.500 team(at the time, I think) when you're in the top 10, even in overtime, is inexcusable.

All 3 teams are similar and honestly, I don't think any one of them are better than the other.