TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anglesault

Brutal Actors saved by Good parts/movies

I never did like Tom Cruise. He has three moods: anxious, determined and smiling smugly. He is very smart in the roles he chooses and he's done well to build a persona around him that makes him seem cool to guys and sexy to women, when he's really a hack actor and a douchebag.

To quote comdedian Rich Hall

"He was a cocktail maker…pretty good cocktail maker too. Has a sudden lack of self confidence, but a beautiful lady helps him through.

Then he was a race driver…pretty good race driver too. Has a sudden lack of self confidence, but a beautiful lady helps him through.

Then he was a pilot…"

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen
Arnold in the first Conan film. He wasn't good at all, but the part was written around his strengths.

As with all three Terminator movies.

In T2 and T3 he displayed a good knowledge on comedic timing.

Guest Anglesault
kirsten dunst and josh hartnett in 'the virgin suicides'. coppola did wonders.

I actually had a female friend of mine explain the Hartnett love. (I don't think he's awful, but he's not worty of all these movies)

Anyway, it basically boils down to the fact that he's a good looking guy who has no qualms with doing long scenes without pants.

Ah, the fairer sex.

Mark Hamill in the Star Wars films. Anyone could have been in that and the films would still be awesome. He was just one lucky man.

While he is by no means a brutal actor, Russel Crowe was lucky to have been discovered in LA Confidential. Guy Pearce was by far better in that film, yet was not discovered in the same way Crowe was.

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes
Mark Hamill in the Star Wars films. Anyone could have been in that and the films would still be awesome. He was just one lucky man.

While he is by no means a brutal actor, Russel Crowe was lucky to have been discovered in LA Confidential. Guy Pearce was by far better in that film, yet was not discovered in the same way Crowe was.

Wasn't Crowe in a Beautiful Mind? (I think thats the title) He was pretty good in it I thought.

Hmmm I like Chris Tucker, but it's all personal preference.

Well anyway, my pick would Kevin Costner. I never liked the way he acted and how he talked in same damn tone throughout movies and his lines sounded like he was reading straight from cue cards.

Hating aside, I did like him Field of Dreams and A Perfect World.

Tucker was good in Friday, but only cause he reminds me of 80% of the potheads around my way.

As for Costner..........c'mon, where's the love for Bull Durham?

Guest The Midnight Rocking Warrior

Hey, hey...... Mark Hamill as the Joker fuckin' owns! ( Zsaz, back me up on this, please :) )

I think Affleck is a terrible actor, in Daredevil, Colin Farell acted circles around him. Gigli was the worst movie I've ever seen....... The only movies I've ever like Affleck in was Kevin Smith films.

Hey, hey...... Mark Hamill as the Joker fuckin' owns! ( Zsaz, back me up on this, please :) )

Pffft, Mark Hamil's best role was easily Detective Mosely :)

PESG, I think Crowe is quite a good actor, and I thought he was robbed of the Oscar for A Beautiful Mind. All I was saying was that in L.A. Confidential, Guy Pearce was the standout actor yet Russel Crowe (and Kevin Spacey, though he was already pretty famous) became break-out stars while Pearce had to get a few more roles before he could have any major fame.

just about any auteur who chooses to act in his own movies. see spike lee in 'do the right thing', martin scorsese's voice in 'bringing out the dead' and quentin tarantino in 'pulp fiction'.

glaring exceptions: warren beatty and orson welles.

Freddie Prinz (?) Jr. in the House of Yes. I mean, yeah, he was da bomb in wing commander and summer catch, but what else has he done?

The dude from Rushmore that's not Bill Murray - I'm not saying he's bad, but he's been on a gradual decline since that role (fuck Cool Ethan)... I am being informed now that his name is Jason Schwarzman.

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes
Vin Diesel - Has he been in anything worth watching?

No.

Julia Roberts. I can't fucking stand her, and yet a lot of people seem to think she's this great actress just because she has big teeth, or something.

::clams down and counts to ten:: I disagree

Vin Diesel - Has he been in anything worth watching?

No.

Boiler Room.

Then again, his part was completely insignificant to the main plotline, as I recall.

Boiler Room was all about Giovanni Ribisi. Affleck and Diesel were kinda there.

Keanu Reeves is one of the most ridiculously awful actors in Hollywood today.

He is. He always has been. I used to think it should be written into his contracts that every line he said in a movie had to end in "... dude!" Anyway, I thought he was decent in the first Matrix because his usual wide-eyed retard expression was actually wuite appropriate for most of the film. In the sequels, when he's supposed to know what he's doing, he comes across as a goober, as I expected.

Paul Walker is the worst actor in America today, IMO, but I guess the right role and the right director could make him seem semi-human.

The dude from Rushmore that's not Bill Murray - I'm not saying he's bad, but he's been on a gradual decline since that role (fuck Cool Ethan)... I am being informed now that his name is Jason Schwarzman.

Don't you ever speak poorly of Cool Ethan again.

Paul Walker is the new Keanu

He's even a surfer

That's an insult to Keanu

At least Keanu was good in "The Gift" and "Bill and Ted"

Paul Walker is...well just there.

I'm beginning to think females no longer have the right to call men swallow dogs when they allow guys like Harnett, Bloom and Walker to hang around with no talent whatsoever.

Yeah that's right, Orlando Bloom. The guy has one level of acting and that level is "well, he looks cool I suppose". Other than that? Not an ounce of talent.

just about any auteur who chooses to act in his own movies. see spike lee in 'do the right thing', martin scorsese's voice in 'bringing out the dead' and quentin tarantino in 'pulp fiction'.

glaring exceptions: warren beatty and orson welles.

Huh, if Tarentino was all that bad, I didn't seem to notice. That's for sure.

Hey, he couldn't carry a movie by himself, but for that small part, I think he fit the role perfectly, and within his say 10 minutes in the movie delivered some of the funniest quips in the film.

"Is there a sign outside my house that says 'Dead Nigger Storage'?"

Orlando Bloom is horrible.

What exactly did he do in LOTR that made every women on the planet fall in love with him? He never did anything. He had the same amount of lines as Gimli. What's the big deal?

And Affleck is overrated, even in Chasing Amy. Jason Lee > Ben Affleck.

Guest netslob

What exactly did he do in LOTR that made every women on the planet fall in love with him? He never did anything. He had the same amount of lines as Gimli. What's the big deal?

he's a scrawny pretty boy with long, platinum hair...duh.

Paul Walker is the new Keanu

He's even a surfer

True. Even "The Fast And The Furious" was a poor ripoff of "Point Break" which kicked ass.

Swayze>Diesel

Reeves>Walker

Surfing/Skydiving>Phallic Symbol Cars

he's a scrawny pretty boy with long, platinum hair...duh.

Yeah, it wasn't that hard to figure out.

And his voice, women love the accent.

Guest MissMattitude

Ben Affleck, the only movies I have liked him in are Kevin Smith ones... or when he is partnered with Matt Damon but on his own he sucks.

Tom Cruise only ever plays the same character anyway.

Now, I am by no means an Orlando Bloom fan but I think it's difficult to judge his acting talent at the moment as he hasn't really been in a lot.

Hmmm I like Chris Tucker, but it's all personal preference. 

Well anyway, my pick would Kevin Costner.  I never liked the way he acted and how he talked in same damn tone throughout movies and his lines sounded like he was reading straight from cue cards.

Hating aside, I did like him Field of Dreams and A Perfect World.

Tucker was good in Friday, but only cause he reminds me of 80% of the potheads around my way.

As for Costner..........c'mon, where's the love for Bull Durham?

Christ on a cracker I forgot about that movie. He ruled in Bull Durham.