TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DerangedHermit

Garfield live action movie trailer

Guest SP-1
I tend to agree with IDRM.  You guys sound like Trekkies when word leaked that Spock was dying in TWOK.  Seriously.  It's Garfield.  I liked him growing up but I'm not going to piss myself in anger over a trailer that has basically portrayed a sassy fat orange cat, which is what the character is at it's core.

Some things I can understand getting angry about with franchises.

Garfield, I can't.  Davis sold the furball's fictional soul, Davis is the creator, it's his character to do this with. 

sad.

But true.

This is TSM, where everyone and their dog is a critic.

There are lots of idiots, too.

No, that isn't directed at anyone specifically.

Nermal is male and will be voiced by David Eigenberg (of Sex and the City).

Read the synopsis at garfieldmovie.com to see the rest of the cast/vocal talents.

EDIT: I thought Nermal was FEMALE all this time. After all, wasn't the character voice done by a woman?

Edited by The Hollywood Fashion Plate

Biggest change of all:

Nermal is now male and will be voiced by David Eigenberg (of Sex and the City).

Read the synopsis at garfieldmovie.com to see the rest of the cast/vocal talents.

Wasn't Nermal always male? I think he just had a feminine voice but he was still a male - like Tweety.

Wasn't Nermal always male? I think he just had a feminine voice but he was still a male - like Tweety.

That's what I've always thought to. I think in the cartoon once or twice they did refer to Nermal as a he.

EDIT: I thought Nermal was FEMALE all this time. After all, wasn't the character voice done by a woman?

It was done by a female.

But still the character was supposed to be a male with a cute voice... as mentioned above sorta like Tweety Bird in the Warner Brothers cartoons.

Oh, any word if Nermal will be CG or not? or if it will be "PC" to have Garfield send Nermal's ass to Abudahbi in the movie?

Edited by PsychoDriver

But still the character was supposed to be a male with a cute voice... as mentioned above sorta like Tweety Bird in the Warner Brothers cartoons.

Or maybe Nermal was gay. :P

Nermal was a male kitten, hence Garfield hating his little cute guts.

Did Davis EVER explain what the hell happened to Lyman or however you spell his name? You know, Jon's obvious gay lover?

We all know Jon went back to being straight, or at least is trying, but what happened to Odie's freakin owner???

Guest Ram

It might be a good cat lover movie, possibly a fun childgoing movie, but not much else.

It reminds me of the atrocious See Spot Run (with David Arquette). It might be good (and is capable of being), but it's more likely to be terrible.

How will they be able to do anything with the interaction between Garfield and Odie? By having Odie be a real dog, they've killed half of the fun right there.

Guest Ram

Well, yeah. 75% of Garfield's shtick was torturing Odie. I guess they'll still do some, but it'll be limited to something like making a big noise that makes Odie run out of the room yelping.

ANUS! That thing doesn't even LOOK like Garfield!

Also, my dog gets people food, she's still alive. It's not all she eats, but she does get it.

*views trailer*

Hmmm...

GARFIELD IS A SHORT HAIRED CAT, DAMMIT! Why the hell is he so damn fluffy in this movie? I like the eyes, though. It's too bad Lorenzo Music died and was unable to voice Garfield. Although of all the people that could've signed on to voice Garfield, Bill Murray is probably one of the best choices. He was the only person I thought of for the character when I first heard about the movie. The dog that is playing Odie should at least share some RESEMBLANCE to Odie. Couldn't they have at least given the dog a CGI tongue? I also understand wanting to cast young people in the human roles, but Breckin Meyer and JLH? I can't see Meyer doing Jon's physical antics, nor can I see JLH portraying Liz, whose character utilizes dry wit and sarcasm.

ANUS! That thing doesn't even LOOK like Garfield!

Also, my dog gets people food, she's still alive. It's not all she eats, but she does get it.

Our last dog we had, we fed him "people food" just about exclusively, and he lived for about 15 years and finally died of old age.

Back to Odie though, I still don't understand how they will be able to present the interactions between Garfield and Odie. Are they just going to ignore that vital part of the "story"?

Back to Odie though, I still don't understand how they will be able to present the interactions between Garfield and Odie. Are they just going to ignore that vital part of the "story"?

I don't think there will be much interaction between the CG Garfield and the real dog Odie. Really... how can there be without the animal rights people having heartattacks?

I don't think there will be much interaction between the CG Garfield and the real dog Odie. Really... how can there be without the animal rights people having heartattacks?

That's my point.

many male cartoon characters are voiced by women...

geez... like every kid on the Simpsons whether it be male or female is voiced by a female...

as are many others....

though I too thought Nermal was at least a metrosexual.

Thank God for Bill Waterson; he's often said that he'll never sell out Calvin and Hobbes, and I thank him for being one of the few with integrity.

So who's responsible for all those "Calvin pissing on (Insert brand name here)" stickers???

Thank God for Bill Waterson; he's often said that he'll never sell out Calvin and Hobbes, and I thank him for being one of the few with integrity.

So who's responsible for all those "Calvin pissing on (Insert brand name here)" stickers???

Hobbes of course.

For the record, our cats eat "people food" all the time, and my sister's cat likes lasagna, too.

Then again, our dogs eat cat food and so forth. Ours probably are the exception, not the rule.

EDIT: Apparently not.

My opinion: doesn't look very good, doesn't seem to have the wit of classic Garfield, and live action + CGI isn't going to work well with the sight gags, because usually it's Jon or Odie getting the punishment.

First of all, it's a 90 second trailer, how can anyone assume that they're be no interaction, anyone read the script yet.

I don't get people's complaint that Garfield's too active, Garfield's always been active, he just chooses WHEN he wants to be active, he answers to noone.

The suction cup gag- it was coming

I don't like JLH line reading, but I'll wait and see.

Odie- yeah, I don't get him being a real dog either, but then from what I hear Odie's main purpose is to get kidnapped in the film, and the title of the film is "Garfield" not "Garfield & Odie"

Breckin Myer- nothing to judge from the teaser, but Jon's a loser, so I think they cast well :lol:

Overall, the way some people were describing this trailer, I was very afraid, after watching it I have issues, but I'm not foaming at the mouth.

I love Garfield, and for good or worse I'm curious as to how this film turns out, so I'll probably see it.

Bootleggers.

Anything you've ever seen with Calvin on it, outside of the comics, is pretty much made by bootleggers out to get some cash.

GARFIELD IS A SHORT HAIRED CAT, DAMMIT!

Honest question: How can you tell? He's always been 2D...so really, how can you tell?

First of all, it's a 90 second trailer, how can anyone assume that they're be no interaction, anyone read the script yet.

We can all very well talk about the interaction between the two. Garfield treats Odie, well, he's always treated him like pure shit. He's always harming him, being an ass, and just flat out treating him bad.

They will not be able to do that since Odie is a real dog in this film. Then that brings us to...

Odie- yeah, I don't get him being a real dog either, but then from what I hear Odie's main purpose is to get kidnapped in the film, and the title of the film is "Garfield" not "Garfield & Odie"

...you are exactly right, but the Garfield/Odie relationship is the biggest chunk of the Garfield story. If they don't play up all of that in the film, then it's already lacking right from the idea.

They will not be able to do that since Odie is a real dog in this film.

If Gollum can interact with Frodo and Sam and Scooby Doo can interact with the Gang, then Garfield can interact with Odie, He pushes him off a cushion for starters in the trailer, I'm sure they can make it look like he boots him off a table (which must be in the film at least once).

the point is, they might could do it, but PETA and them types would be up their ass over it

Exactly.

Because of those stupid fucks, we will not see Garfield do to Odie what NEEDS to be done. Still, forget even that...it just doesn't look like Odie. Am I crazy, or was Odie's tongue basicly his entire character trait, other than being stupid? All of the animals, no matter which ones, should have been CGI.

btw, Downhome, that's my all time favorite of the Bill Brasky quotes

It's one of my personal favorites also, woohoo!