TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JoeDirt

A few questions

1) Where did Rodney Anoia / Yokozuna wrestle? He obviously got a huge push in the WWF immediately because of his size, but did he wrestle much before they signed him?

2) Was there any particular reason Scott Hall didn't receive a push in WCW in his first stint? Did they just not see anything in him, and then Vince decided to push him to the moon?

3) Where did Owen Hart wrestle from 1989 (when he wrestled at WM5 as the Blue Blazer) to 1992 (when he wrestled at WM 8 against Skinner). Was he an active WWF competitor?

4) Why did Sid leave the WWF in late 95/96 and in 1997?

5) Who was in the Truth Commission?

Thanks!

1) Where did Rodney Anoia / Yokozuna wrestle? He obviously got a huge push in the WWF immediately because of his size, but did he wrestle much before they signed him?

1) AWA, under the name Kokina Maximus (I believe... possibly the great Kokina). I think he was managed by Skandor Akbar. PWI did a feature on him a few months before he got signed.

5.) The Truth Commission consisted of Kurrgan, Sniper, Recon, and led by either Jackyl or the Commandant. I can't remember who came first though.

It was the Commandant in the USWA, which is where they cut their teeth, and then Jackyl picked them up in the WWF. I want to say that they had a talent exchange deal with the WWF at the time, leading to things like Freddie Joe Floyd and PG-13 running the USWA's chapter of the Nation of Domination.

Wasn't Kurrgan known as the Interrogator first?

Guest Salacious Crumb

AWA, I think.

2) Was there any particular reason Scott Hall didn't receive a push in WCW in his first stint? Did they just not see anything in him, and then Vince decided to push him to the moon?

He was getting a decent mid-card push his first time around but the WWF signed him and did more with him.

3) Where did Owen Hart wrestle from 1989 (when he wrestled at WM5 as the Blue Blazer) to 1992 (when he wrestled at WM 8 against Skinner). Was he an active WWF competitor?

Japan and WCW

4) Why did Sid leave the WWF in late 95/96 and in 1997?

Vince was cutting payroll and Sid was an obvious choice as he was probably making a ton.

Scott Hall started out in WCW as Scott "Gator" Hall and he was supposed to be some bayou Crocodile Dundee dude. They filmed vignettes which got a bad reaction and the gimmick was soon dropped. He was then repackaged as the Diamond Studd and given DDP as a manager. Hall was helpful in getting DDP a job as they were friends from when both were in the AWA. After awhile, they got Nash as bodyguard Vinnie Vegas. When Hall got picked up by the WWF he then helped Nash get a job when Vince was looking to get a bodyguard for Shawn Michaels. Hall basically didn't get over in WCW because they're fucking morons.

Sid was getting a bit two big for britches. He would give interviews where he said he was the highest drawing WWF champ in history and single handedly carried people like Hogan and 'Taker to the best matches of their career. Also, I think '97 was when he just quit wrestling to play softball, but that might have been one of the times he left WCW. Sid is a huge freak when it comes to softball (and most of the rest of the time too) and was known to miss matches and personal appearances to play games.

I believe Yoko was responsible for ending Greg Gagne's career in the AWA, IIRC. Most likely kayfabed.

5.) The Truth Commission consisted of Kurrgan, Sniper, Recon, and led by either Jackyl or the Commandant. I can't remember who came first though.

Interogator/Kurrgan, Sniper, Reacon (Bull Buchanon), and Commandant/Jackyl. I think there was one other short-lived member but I could be wrong.

It was the Commandant in the USWA, which is where they cut their teeth, and then Jackyl picked them up in the WWF. I want to say that they had a talent exchange deal with the WWF at the time, leading to things like Freddie Joe Floyd and PG-13 running the USWA's chapter of the Nation of Domination.

Wasn't Kurrgan known as the Interrogator first?

The Kommandant (I think they spelt it with a "K") did manage the Truth Commision in the WWF before The Jackyl did.

As for Kurrgan, he was indeed known as The Interrogator first, then Kurrgan The Interrogator before becoming just Kurrgan.

Guest wayzing
1) AWA, under the name Kokina Maximus (I believe... possibly the great Kokina). I think he was managed by Skandor Akbar. PWI did a feature on him a few months before he got signed.

I seem to remember that when the Headshrinkers had just arrived in WWF the commentators discussed that a third Headshrinker named Kokina was going to join them in the WWF soon and they also mentioned how big he was.

Can someone confirm this as it indicates that there were other plans for him at first?

Btw, I'm pretty sure I've seen a picture of him as Kokina from New Japan prior to his his WWF debut.

Oh, another question - what was Chris Chavis' (Tatanka) background before coming to the WWF, when did he arrive, and why did he get the monster undefeated push, since he's not the typical huge guy Vince likes to push?

Oh, another question - what was Chris Chavis' (Tatanka) background before coming to the WWF, when did he arrive, and why did he get the monster undefeated push, since he's not the typical huge guy Vince likes to push?

He was a bodybuilder (Mr Gulf Coast '88!) and tried out for the NFL. He was offered a contract by the Dolphins but turned it down. He was working at Bally's when he met Buddy Rogers, who was impressed enough by him that he sent him to be trained by Larry Sharpe in the Carolinas. There, he won the South Atlantic Title by beating Ken Shamrock (!) in 1990. Word soon reached Titan and he was hired in 1991- just a year after he entered the business.

Guest Frank_Nabbit

Ron Garvin was cut at the same time Chavis was signed according to a PWI at the time

The Truth Commission originally consisted of Sniper, Recon, Interrogator, Tank (I THINK that was John Tenta in a mask before becoming Golga), led by the Kommandant. One week, Kommandant was gone for no reason, to be replaced by Jackyl (dressed one week in the fatigues, as an actual wrestler, then as the cult leader).

The Truth Commission originally consisted of Sniper, Recon, Interrogator, Tank (I THINK that was John Tenta in a mask before becoming Golga), led by the Kommandant. One week, Kommandant was gone for no reason, to be replaced by Jackyl (dressed one week in the fatigues, as an actual wrestler, then as the cult leader).

How long did they last in the WWF? I'm watching Survivor Series 97 and JR is REALLY working to get them over, especially Kurrgan (Interrogator).

How long did they last in the WWF? I'm watching Survivor Series 97 and JR is REALLY working to get them over, especially Kurrgan (Interrogator).

Summer 97 - Spring 98. Then, after a few months of being off TV, Kurrgan returned as a member of the Oddities.