TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
evilhomer

A question about Royal Rumble/Battle Royals

There's one spot in any kind of battle royal that is designed to create drama, but like everything else, it's so overused with little to no payoff that it's just a boring waste of time. I'm talking about the spot where one wrestler goes into the ropes, has one of his legs draped over the top rope, then one or more competitors then spend 30 seconds to 5 minutes trying to heave the rest of him over. I understand the use of it because there's simply not enough room to have 10 separate wrestling tie-ups going, but it's done so often, and I can't remember ever seeing anyone tossed out from it.

This leads to my question: has anyone ever been eliminated during one of these spots? I remember TBS getting knocked out a few weeks back by 10-20 guys in a variation of it, but that's the only one from the past 5 years that really comes to mind. Am I just missing and forgetting something here?

Another query to have fun with: Why is it that a wrestler doing a standard run into the ropes suddenly loses his balance and goes hurtling over the top rope when it's been pulled down a quarter of an inch?

I can't answer any of your questions, but I hate when a wrestler gets hit in the center of the ring then runs to the ropes and leaps over to get eliminated. Like the move has enough force to have the body change directions as its flying through the air.

Especially with guys like Steve Austin & HHH. They will hit their finisher and then the guy will either go flying out or will stand there and get closelined out. In any other match they will be out on the mat for five minutes. They should pick them up and then toss them, like they used to.

Another query to have fun with: Why is it that a wrestler doing a standard run into the ropes suddenly loses his balance and goes hurtling over the top rope when it's been pulled down a quarter of an inch?

[mark explanation below]

With ring experience, you bounce off the ropes thousands of times. Therefore, you expect the top rope to touch your shoulder blades at about the same point every time. When the rope isn't there, it causes you to lose your concentration. It's like a running back whose shoe suddenly comes untied; you lose focus and often can't steady yourself in time.

Especially with guys like Steve Austin & HHH. They will hit their finisher and then the guy will either go flying out or will stand there and get closelined out. In any other match they will be out on the mat for five minutes. They should pick them up and then toss them, like they used to.

[mark explanation]

After getting hit with a special move, perhaps they go toward the ropes in the hopes that they can backdrop their attacker out (a la Rock-Bigshow in 2000).

Or, Triple H (2002) can hit someone (RVD) with the pedigree, leave them for dead and then have some one else (Booker T) throw that person (RVD) out like it was nothing.

Or, Triple H (2002) can hit someone (RVD) with the pedigree, leave them for dead and then have some one else (Booker T) throw that person (RVD) out like it was nothing.

Yep, and in that same Rumble Kane completely no sold the Stunner.

Another query to have fun with:  Why is it that a wrestler doing a standard run into the ropes suddenly loses his balance and goes hurtling over the top rope when it's been pulled down a quarter of an inch?

[mark explanation below]

With ring experience, you bounce off the ropes thousands of times. Therefore, you expect the top rope to touch your shoulder blades at about the same point every time. When the rope isn't there, it causes you to lose your concentration. It's like a running back whose shoe suddenly comes untied; you lose focus and often can't steady yourself in time.

How about this: you expect to contact the rope at a certain point on your back/shoulder, so you instictively lean into the ropes expecting them to be there at that spot. You lean, but the rope isn't there, so you're off-balance w/ your momentum taking you over the ropes.

Yep, and in that same Rumble Kane completely no sold the Stunner.

right after that, Austin Hit Booker with the stunner right in the middle of the ring, and Booker went flying out of the ring, he looked really stupid

The way Jake Roberts was eliminated at Royal Rumble 96 was hilarious.

Yeah, he gets one weak looking punch from Vader and he staggers out like he got blasted with a chair or something.

Guest Salacious Crumb
This leads to my question: has anyone ever been eliminated during one of these spots? I remember TBS getting knocked out a few weeks back by 10-20 guys in a variation of it, but that's the only one from the past 5 years that really comes to mind. Am I just missing and forgetting something here?

This only works on wrestlers that weigh over 400 lbs. as team up eliminations go like this. Earthquake in the 90 Rumble is a good example.