TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Slayer

The OAO Super Bowl Thread

It's never too early to start discussing the Super Bowl

Initial thoughts:

In a way, this Panthers team reminds me a lot of the Patriots team that won two years ago. Same record, same underdog mentality, similar team structure (tough defense and a reliable offense)

This has the makings of a potential classic battle like that from two years ago (and given the alternating good-bad SB pattern since '96, we're due up for a good one).

^^^^ Agreed. I'm just glad that one of my three favorite teams, the Panthers, made it in. They beat those choke artist Eagles, who in turn had beaten my #1 team- Green Bay, and hopefully they will now topple the team who beat my 2nd favorite club, Tennessee.

^^^^ Agreed. I'm just glad that one of my three favorite teams, the Panthers, made it in. They beat those choke artist Eagles, who in turn had beaten my #1 team- Green Bay, and hopefully they will now topple the team who beat my 2nd favorite club, Tennessee.

The Pats are going to win though.

The Eagles choked because McNabb was on the cover of SI.

SI should just put both the Panthers and the Patriots team pictures on the Cover. Of course that could lead to both teams being jinxed and the game going into 20 OTs tied at 6, and the game ending in a tie, but that would be better than giving one team or the other an unfair advantage of the other being on the cover.

I hope we get a Titans/Rams game from 2001, that was one of the best Super Bowls I've seen.

I'd prefer Broncos/Packers from 1997. That was actually good all they way through.

In a way, this Panthers team reminds me a lot of the Patriots team that won two years ago.

Odd, I was thinking the same thing.

I hope we get a Titans/Rams game from 2001, that was one of the best Super Bowls I've seen.

I listened to the first three quarters of that game while at work, so I couldn't see it on TV and the game didn't seem all that great. Except for the fourth quarter, I don't remember much of it -- what made it great in your opinion? Sadly, most Super Bowls are rather anti-climatic.

I don't know who I want to win this year because I like both teams. However, there's a soft spot in my heart for He Hate Me, so I guess I'll knock on wood for the Panthers...

Something tells me that unless this gets pinned, its gonna be on page 3 by February 1rst.

Well then hopefully one of the football-loving mods... *looks at BPS and DrTom* ...will get around to doing so

I'd prefer Broncos/Packers from 1997. That was actually good all they way through.

Word. Broncos/Packers was a showcase all the way through, plus you had the in-game storyline of TO's migraines. Rams/Titans was boring for the first three quarters, especially the first half. I don't care too much for Patriots/Rams, because the field goal to win the game doesn't strike me as that suspenseful or great, even though the guy had all the pressure in the world on him. The field goal finish is just "blah" to me.

In a way, this Panthers team reminds me a lot of the Patriots team that won two years ago. Same record, same underdog mentality, similar team structure (tough defense and a reliable offense)

Indeed. However, the 2003 Patriots are like the 01 Patriots on steroids. Their D is even tougher, their offense is more reliable, and they just win more. Basically, the Pats play the same game as the Panthers (No "Yeah, football" jokes please) but they do it better.

Something tells me that unless this gets pinned, its gonna be on page 3 by February 1rst.

Well then hopefully one of the football-loving mods... *looks at BPS and DrTom* ...will get around to doing so

No one does it for hockey... :(

Anyways. I hope that New England wins it, but a part of me wants me to see Carolina winning it.

Oh, I almost forgot:

Carolina wins by 7 or less, but they do win. Bellichek might be a coaching genius, but I think that John Fox, given two weeks to prepare for a team, will have an awesome gameplan. And I AM rooting for them, not just saying they'll win.

(can't wait to talk shit to the Boston girl)

Guest FrigidSoul

hey Kotz, I don't wanna be the one to have to tell you this but Bill Belichik also has two weeks to plan for this game.

You also don't deserve a Boston girl, you send her to me!

I am still pulling for New England to avenge the Eagles. Yes I'm joining up with my hated enemy to destroy the upstart villain.

Man you're bad luck. You put an OU, and Eagle logo has an Avatar and they both lost.

Super Bowl. Right know I'm thinking if the Patriots win it will by more than 10, or if the Panthers win it will be close. Haven't decided who I think yet.

I think the Patriots win easily as the NFC is what the AFC was ten years ago. Or for a current analogy the AFC is the equivalent of the NBA's Western Conference and the NFC is the Eastern Conference. Panthers wouldn't be one of the top four teams in the AFC. So right now I'm going Patriots 24, Panthers 7.

What will be interesting is that, as we go through the month of January, I imagine Bored will be posting several pre-SB issues of SI.

Then you can really see some historic instances of the SI curse (see: current cover with '86 Broncos)

Hey cool somebody is paying attention. :D Actually I picked out the covers a while back out of Boredom and didn't choose them based on being jinxes or not but I'm pretty sure I picked a hilarious pre-Super Bowl XXIV cover with John Elway on it. The cover I think said "We'll Show Up" and then of course they lost 55-10.

I'm pretty sure I picked a hilarious pre-Super Bowl XXIV cover with John Elway on it. The cover I think said "We'll Show Up" and then of course they lost 55-10.

Looking back historically, it's kind of funny how they lost in progressively worse fashion with each successive SB (same could be said for the early 90's Bills)

Then, of course, their first SB win was a close-tight battle, and their second was no concern at all.

I picked out the covers a while back out of Boredom

Well I can't imagine where your username comes from them

Offense wins games, defense wins championships

So what the hell happens when two of the best defenses in football face off? I have no damn clue.

It will be 3 points or less, I can't see this game being a blow-out at all. The one thing I do know is Bill will NOT let his players get cocky, he'll run the cocky right out of them if he sees it happening.

About the ONLY thing the Pats have on the Panthers is Super Bowl experience but I'll be damned if that means alot anymore.

Guest FrigidSoul

Anybody know where I could download SuperBowl XXXVI for free thus giving me something to watch until Feb 1st? I know, I'm a cheap bastard.

Guest Choken One

This just might be the weakest drawing Superbowl in recent memory, Usually for the Superbowl, There’s always either a good storyline or those teams have a good collection of charismatic players. This year we have two teams that don’t have an big “name” whatsoever and no story at all to boot. The game should be great but America won’t be interested…

No story?

Carolina is the STREAK KILLER, having ended the Eagles' winning streak, and now -- can they end the Patriots' winning streak, too?

Carolina Panthers = the Randy Orton of the NFL, which means they'll go over New England by four points.