TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Styles

Live from Iowa...

Guest Cerebus

The quote of the night belongs to Chris Matthews talking to Dean (I'm paraphrasing):

"You had all the old timers coming out to support you, Carter, Bradley, Gore...I'm surprised you didn't get Fritz Mondale to endorse you."

Guest MikeSC
I'm not touching Wes. He scares me -- look what he did to that certain cable network reporter that "questioned his patriotism."

Oh, and did you know that John Kerry served in Vietnam...

01.jpg

while this guy was in diapers?...

WHAT?

KERRY SERVED IN VIETNAM?

GET THE HELL OUTTA TOWN!

What next, is Wes Clark a Rhodes scholar and former general?

Oh yeah, this might be ridden into the ground. SHABLACKA!

Even libs said that Dean has seemed to come unglued. Does somebody have the Deaniacs on suicide watch?

-=Mike

The guy is nuts.

My dad: "He sounds like one of those wrestlers you watch".

I was expecting someone to approach him with the big hat and the Madness cape.

As I said, I was getting more of a delusional Roddy Piper vibe...

Guest MikeSC
well this is interesting because if the Iowa Caucus is nearly meaningless altogether then couldn't the media be accused of cooking up biased coverage for the winner and highly damaging the losers?  Considering the caucus is pretty useless and meaningless, that is.

Yeah, but you gotta remember it's coming from Mike. It's not quite as unimportant as that, but also not too important either. Clinton mostly forgot about Iowa.

This Dean speech was the worst thing ever.

JOTW, think about it --- what NORMAL person would participate in a caucus?

Let's be blunt here. The ONLY people who participate ARE special interest extremists. The IA caucus is absolutely useless. The NH primary is of dubious value (an upper class, almost all-white state does not quite represent a large part of the country)

-=Mike

I watched a bit of C-Span tonight and saw some hippie guy trying to control a room packed full of democrat voters.

Sadly, I joked to my better half, "now would be a great time for an electrical wiring meltdown."

I know I'm a horrible person. Don't bother reminding me...

Does anyone else see something wrong with giving a small, rural farm state such a disproportionate amount of influence in every election? If a candidate doesn't appeal to Iowans does that mean he is unelectable in the rest of the country?

Does anyone else see something wrong with giving a small, rural farm state such a disproportionate amount of influence in every election? If a candidate doesn't appeal to Iowans does that mean he is unelectable in the rest of the country?

I have no problem with it -- Iowa probably needs the money these caucuses bring to the state...

Guest MikeSC
I watched a bit of C-Span tonight and saw some hippie guy trying to control a room packed full of democrat voters.

Sadly, I joked to my better half, "now would be a great time for an electrical wiring meltdown."

BTW, am I the only one shocked that the endorsements of Carter and McGovern didn't equal victory?

And for the Democrats, this is a valuable lesson: You can say "Look, he does well against Bush". Everyone looks good --- UNTIL they get criticized.

Do you think ANY of the Dems won't suffer a similar fate in the general election?

-=Mike

Guest MikeSC
JOTW, think about it --- what NORMAL person would participate in a caucus?

Well, the advertising's been very hard to ignore.

You still have to get people to sit in a room and listen to horrible speeches for 2.5-3 hours. Not an easy sell. Not something done by people without a reason to do it.

-=Mike

I've been tuning into C-SPAN all night and it's been a bunch of dorky looking people in a room. The news channels have at least been putting splashy graphics and loud opinionmakers like ORe... Oops. Scarborough on.

I've been tuning into C-SPAN all night and it's been a bunch of dorky looking people in a room. The news channels have at least been putting splashy graphics and loud opinionmakers like ORe... Oops. Scarborough on.

I'm not going to say where I watch him, but one of my favorites during broadcasts like these is Michael Barone...

You still have to get people to sit in a room and listen to horrible speeches for 2.5-3 hours. Not an easy sell. Not something done by people without a reason to do it.

-=Mike

I'm trying to find the statistic on how many of the caucus-goers were first-timers, but it was a little over 40%.

Guest MikeSC

-=Mike

I'm trying to find the statistic on how many of the caucus-goers were first-timers, but it was a little over 40%.

How many people TOTAL attended?

According to Zogby (best pollster on the planet, mind you), the record-breaking number was, roughly, 125,000.

125,000 people out of how many millions?

-=Mike

Well, increased turnout is increased turnout. Considering the apathy the last three elections have met, I honestly can't see why people are construing this has a bad thing.

How many people TOTAL attended?

How does that matter? Your arguement was that the caucus-goers are bunch of special interest representatives who always take part in stuff like this.

Not only do I doubt that a bunch of 85 year old women fit that profile, but a lot of the people who attended hadn't attended before.

Wow, I can't believe that Kerry won. I thought for sure that Dean would win.

Well, like I have said before, Bush is going to win the election no matter what.

Wow, I can't believe that Kerry won. I thought for sure that Dean would win.

Well, like I have said before, Bush is going to win the election no matter what.

If enough of the "Bush is gonna win, no matter what" people actually go out and vote in November..

As for me, a registered Independent, I would vote for Kerry or Edwards if they get the nomination. I haven't made my mind up on Dean although right now theres something about him that rubs me the wrong way.

The guy is nuts.

My dad: "He sounds like one of those wrestlers you watch".

Your dad nailed it.

"We're going to California! And Texas! And New York! We're going to South Dakota! And Oregon! And Washington! And Michigan! And then we're going to Washington DC to take back the White House! RARRR!"

What the fuck was that animal yowl at the end supposed to be? If Howard Dean still wins the nomination I'll recommend to the President that he appoint the Ultimate Warrior as his stand-in for the debates.

"YOU WANT THE WHITE HOUSE, YOU COME UP HERE AND TAKE IT LITTLE BOY! YEAH, I'M TALKIN' TO YOU! I'M TALKIN' TO YOU!"

"YOU HAVE NO CHANCE WARRIOR! I GOT THE POWER OF THE PEOPLE! I AM THE WEAPON OF MASS DESTRUCTION YOU'RE LOOKIN' FOR!"

"BAH GAWD THE WARRIOR HAS THE DEANIAC ON THE ROPES! HE'S ON THE ROPES! HE'S SHAKIN'... HE'S SHAKIN'... BAH GAWD HE'S COMIN' OUT OF THE HEADLOCK! HE'S COMIN' OUT OF THE HEADLOCK! I DON'T BELIEVE IT! WHAT A DEBATE FOLKS! WHAT A DEBATE! AND YOU'RE SEEING IT RIGHT HERE ON EXTREME C-SPAN!"

Edited by Cancer Marney

I find it sad that "Seattle Citizen" is going to represent us from now on.

That's like me saying this:

Ah yes, you're a Republican, aren't you?

Only if I said anything that resonated with Savage's nutjob opinions. But I haven't, for the very good reason that I loathe the guy.

On the other hand, the level of contempt BX expressed for the average American seemed approximately equal to the level of contempt expressed in that editorial, so in his case, I think the comparison was fair. Read "Democrat" as "that editorial's definition of a Democrat" if you like.

^^^ Ok. Accepted.

"YOU WANT THE WHITE HOUSE, YOU COME UP HERE AND TAKE IT LITTLE BOY! YEAH, I'M TALKIN' TO YOU! I'M TALKIN' TO YOU!"

"YOU HAVE NO CHANCE WARRIOR! I GOT THE POWER OF THE PEOPLE! I AM THE WEAPON OF MASS DESTRUCTION YOU'RE LOOKIN' FOR!"

You know, when you look at it, it really would make an awesome Hogan promo:

MP3 sound - Click!

'Underdog' Dean Looks to New Hampshire to Recoup

Tue January 20, 2004 04:14 AM ET

By Patricia Wilson

PORTSMOUTH, N.H. (Reuters) - Democratic presidential hopeful Howard Dean on Tuesday looked ahead to next week's New Hampshire primary to recoup a stunning loss in Iowa, ceding front-runner status and declaring himself the underdog.

After finishing a distant third behind Massachusetts Sen. John Kerry and Sen. John Edwards of North Carolina, Dean flew directly to New Hampshire, which holds its primary on Jan. 3.

"I would love to come in first but you only have to come in the top three," he told several hundred cheering supporters at a predawn airport rally in Portsmouth.

He cited as examples Bill Clinton, who won the presidency after losing Iowa, and Michael Dukakis who also lost in the Mid-West state but went on to become the Democratic nominee.

"Guess what, let's go get 'em," the former Vermont governor said. "We have hardly begun to fight."

Even before Iowans finished publicly stating their preferences, U.S. television networks projected Kerry and Edwards had beaten Dean.

"I used to be the front-runner when I went out to Iowa but I'm not the front-runner anymore," Dean said. "New Hampshire has a great tradition of supporting the underdog."

Dean holds a slim lead over Kerry and retired Gen. Wesley Clark in polls for the New Hampshire primary. Dean has led the field in national surveys of Democratic voters.

In the first test on the road to find a challenger to President Bush, Kerry won 38 percent and John Edwards scored a surprise second-place finish with 32 percent of the vote. Dean and Missouri Rep. Richard Gephardt trailed badly with 18 and 11 percent respectively.

Gephardt gave up his race for the presidency. That left seven Democrats vying for the right to challenge Bush in the Nov. 2 presidential election.

Dean lost in Iowa despite high-powered endorsements from former Vice President Al Gore, former New Jersey Sen. Bill Bradley and Iowa's most popular politician, Sen. Tom Harkin. On Sunday, Dean received a strong signal of support from former President Jimmy Carter but not an official endorsement.

"You get three tickets out of Iowa," said Dean's campaign manager, Joe Trippi. "We got one of them. It's not the one I would have wanted but I'll take it."

Offering one explanation, Trippi blamed Gephardt, saying the congressman had drawn Dean into a negative fight that "destroyed his campaign and nearly destroyed ours."

'PIN CUSHION'

Dean, whose use of the Internet to raise $40 million and attract new supporters helped propel him to the top of the polls late last year, complained he had been a "pin cushion" for his rivals and the media because of his front-runner status.

His bluntness and propensity to speak his mind occasionally tripped him up, allowing opponents to paint him as gaffe-prone and not ready for the White House.

"That was the problem, we were way ahead, and when you're way ahead people decide you're the target, and we were pretty much the target of everybody for a long time, and it was hard to sustain that," Dean said on CNN's "Larry King Live."

But Iowans apparently rejected the outsider's hard-edged anti-war rhetoric and his anti-establishment message in favor of two Washington insiders.

The formidable organization Dean built up over two years of visiting Iowa failed to carry the day. More than 3,000 Dean volunteers flooded the state, knocking on doors and making telephone calls in what the campaign dubbed "The Perfect Storm."

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml;j...56&pageNumber=0

And now, I go to bed and wonder how someone can get endorsements from guys like Al Gore and be an "outsider."

^^^ Ok. Accepted.

You know, when you look at it, it really would make an awesome Hogan promo:

MP3 sound - Click!

F*ck you all -- I had that sound clip posted on the other thread dealing with Howie's meltdown.

EDIT: My sincerest apologies a thousand times over -- my link didn't have the Hogan music. Oh my God was that awesome. I'm re-directing my sound clip link to this...

Edited by kkktookmybabyaway