TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Corey_Lazarus

Recent Purchases

Jesus, how do you afford all these albums?

The Cardigans - Long Before Daylight

At the moment it's a combination of just getting paid and the spring sales starting.

Send More Paramedics - "The Hallowed and the Heathen"

Great album, worth buying just for "Zombie Crew" and "Burning The Bodies" alone.

Anyway...

"Read Music/Speak Spanish" by Desaparecidos

"Try This" by Pink

"Donovan's Greatest Hits" by Donovan

Send More Paramedics - "The Hallowed and the Heathen"

Great album, worth buying just for "Zombie Crew" and "Burning The Bodies" alone.

Very true, those are easily the best tracks. The story "Burning the Bodies" tells is fantastic. I'd be interested to know if there's been a zombie film based around that kind of premise.

f81851ywknd.jpgc377552r0l6.jpg

The Bug-Pressure

Soho-Goddess

Got them both used. Goddess was really cheap, and it's basically alternative dance pop, inoffensive but fun. Pressure is a neat little experiment in dancehall and ragga techno (complete with Dancehall MC's).

4 CDs in the last week (one of which was today)

MC Lars - The Graduate

...can't find a picture of the album cover...

Darkest Hour - Hidden Hands of a Sadist Nation

B000095J2D.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

Cannibal Corpse - Worm Infested

f94864js8yd.jpg

Rob Zombie - Educated Horses

rob.zombie2.032406.jpg

It's actually really good. More varied than Hellbilly Deluxe, and a lot less poppy than The Sinister Urge. Still can't touch White Zombie, but Educated Horses has three types of songs on it: horror movie themes (really, the last half of the album are tracks that would fit perfectly in any horror movie), stripper music (the first few tracks, including the single "Foxy Foxy"), and driving music (which all of his stuff has been since he began recording in the mid 80's).

OMF'NG! LAZ G0TZ M0r3 S#17z!!!!

1443848.jpg

Summer's End - Summer's End

Solid, SOLID thrash/death/metalcore (believe me, it all makes sense if you hear the first half of the album) with some live tracks thrown in that sound like a really flawless studio production (likely thanks to studio tweeking). More heavy on the thrash/death side than the metalcore for most of it, but a few of the later songs feature nothing but clean vocals. The singer, Josh Hansen, reminds me of Michale Graves a tad bit (think Gotham Road and not Misfits) when doing clean vocals. The more melodic stuff sounds like old-school Beyond The Embrace, while the heavier stuff sounds like Unearth before they became big and simplified a lot of their songs. I dig.

Contaminated.jpg

Relapes Records presents Contaminated 5.0

Another sampler disc for another metal label. Their samplers work MUCH better than the more popular Identity series that Century Media puts out, mostly because they put more bands on them and oftentimes release multiple discs. Haven't listened to it yet, but I know a few of the songs and they're pretty damn good (Mastodon's "March of the Fire Ants" is on here, Cryptic Slaughter's classic "Money Talks"), so it's worth the $4 I paid for it.

And my pride and joy...

B000003T8Q.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

Stormtroopers of Death - Speak English Or Die

"Hey, Laz, aren't you already a big SOD fan? Don't you already own this?" Yeah, I do. But on CD. This is a vinyl pressing. Re-released in '04 by Megaforce Records to coincide with the Platinum Edition CD release of Speak.... I have a record player somewhere in my house, so I'm looking forward to hearing "March of the SOD," "Sgt. D and the SOD," the title track, "United Forces," and the lost classic "Ram It Up" on vinyl.

h25772gux2w.jpgg48350dz5c6.jpg

Ghostface Killah-Fishscale

The Go! Team-Thunder, Lightning, Strike

"Ringleader Of The Tormentors" by Morrissey

"Duophonic" by Charles and Eddie

"Lay It Down" by the Cowboy Junkies

"Schizophrenic" by JC Chasez

"77" - Talking Heads

This is my first taste of Talking Heads, listening to it now for the first time. I like what I'm hearing I must say.

PURCHASED THURSDAY, 4/13

October-31-No-Survivors.jpg

October 31 - No Survivors

The cover art caught my eye as I was sifting through the O section at the North Attleboro Newbury Comics, looking for some Orchid albums (since I keep meaning to grab one but never seem to really want to until they're not in stock). Saw the cover had pirates and some carnage, and then I remembered about an interview with some band on Uranium about a metal/hardcore band that had a pirate gimmick, so I thought to myself that this might be it. Picked it up hoping it would be since my girlfriend nearly creamed her pants at the thought of a metal band singing about scurvy, buxom wenches, and booty, so I gave it a listen. Pretty good old-school speed metal in the vein of Baloff-era Exodus, but nothing groundbreaking.

wztribute.jpg

SuperCharger HELL - A Tribute To White Zombie

As anybody who comes here knows, I practically worship the ground Rob Zombie walks on. I love his movies, I love his music, I want his wife...yeah. White Zombie's been one of my favorite bands since before my balls had hair, so I saw this and checked out what songs were covered. Mostly AstroCreep stuff with a few Sexorcisto tunes, and one or two songs that were either featured on soundtracks (like Scary German Guy's cover of "Feed The Gods," the original of which was on the Airheads soundtrack) or earlier White Zombie releases. Mostly industrial metal bands covering the tunes, which is fitting since White Zombie were industrial metal themselves, but these have a darker, more sinister edge to them. A few death metal covers, and one cover is really awkward: Catch 22 (yes, THAT Catch 22) covering "Thunderkiss '65." It's not as weird as you'd think, since they didn't turn it into a ska song, but rather just sorta played the riffs a little different. Actually one of the worse covers on the disc, and considering it had so much potential if it were actually a ska cover it's a small disappointment. The covers of "Feed The Gods," "Creature of the Wheel," and "Blood, Milk, And Sky" are my favorites, and the "More Human Than Human" cover and "Supercharger Heaven" cover are decent-at-best.

74772893682.jpg

Robby Roadsteamer - The Heart of the Rhino

If you're from New England, you know of Robby Roadsteamer. He's a comedic singer, the majority of his stuff being off-the-wall whacky and misogynistic and overall prick-ish. His voice is raspy and deep in a forced way, and the man is just fucking weird. A pretty good rock n' roll album for what it's worth, but not as good as Okay, Computer (yeah, he re-recorded Radiohead's "classic" because he thought it sucked). The first track, "I Put A Baby In You," is his big "hit," and rightfully so...as it's the best song on the album. A good novelty purchase, but I have a feeling I'd be selling it if I had an iPod to download the songs onto.

PURCHASED MONDAY, 4/17

h07334ig9ta.jpg

The 69 Eyes - Devils

After hearing one of their songs on FiendForce Record's This Is Horrorpunk 2, I saw this at Hot Topic and grabbed it without thinking. Eeeehhhhh...should've downloaded a few tracks first. Ultimately worthy of a purchase, but not at the $17 pricetag that it was. I was expecting something more fun and horrorpunk, like their song on This Is Horrorpunk 2 was, and instead got dark, almost HIM-meets-Type O Negative songs. Still good, but after a while I got bored. Doom punk? Does that make sense? That's what I'd call them. It's as if they took the gothic and overall darker elements of Shadow Reichenstein and the love themes of HIM and combined them into a sorta sappy sound. Decent to listen to, but the images of the band will throw you off if you're familiar at all with how horrorpunk bands dress (hint: it's almost identical to how they dress on the album cover, which is basically dressing like Jerry Only and Glenn Danzig).

Everyone in Aus that went to the Big Day Out seems to now have a hardon for The Magic Numbers. I have no idea why, perhaps I need to get the album.

I won 70 CDs last month, I'm yet to get through them all. I doubt I will. Some in the hamper:

Belle and Sebastian - "Push Barman to Open"

Weezer - "Make Believe"

Eels - "Blinking Lights..."

Dropkick Murphy's - "The Warriors Code"

Plus a bunch of others.

Guest Queen of Pain

A few over the last week or so:

'Ill Communication' - Beastie Boys

'History Never Repeats' - Split Enz

'All Hands on the Bad One' - Sleater-Kinney

how is this? i've loved everything i've heard by them, but i haven't had the gumption to pick up anything outside of 'open' and 'the trinity session'.

Guest BGarrett7

Purhased within the past week:

week426.jpg

One that was released last week (Mat Kearney's Nothing Left to Lose) and two pre-orders that are due out next week (Glen Phillips' Mr. Lemons and Angie Aparo's El Primo del Tres).

Brian Eno and David Byrne-My Life In The Bush of Ghosts

Chapterhouse-Whirlpool

Both are reissues

how is this? i've loved everything i've heard by them, but i haven't had the gumption to pick up anything outside of 'open' and 'the trinity session'.

It's the first album of theirs I've bought, so I don't know how it compares to their other stuff, but I really like it. Took me a few listens to get into, but it's been worth it, songs like "Angel Mine" and "Bea's Song" are terrific. First few listens it seemed a bit too background music, but given a few listens, you start to appreciate the lyrics and just how good her voice is.

Talking of good voices..

Rik%20Waller%20Album.jpg

Rik Waller And His Mighty Soul Band-Innocence

Found it for 50p on eBay, much better than I thought it would be (not that that's saying much). Fat Rik seems much more suited to faux-soul than ballads

57_9.JPG

The Misfits Boxset

Every song recorded with Glenn Danzig. A nice little introduction in the booklet (which features lyrics to all of their songs with Glenn) about being a high school friend of Doyle and going to most of the Misfits shows back in Lodi when nobody had heard of them. Eerie Von, the band's official photographer when Doyle had just joined the band, wrote the introduction and even includes a funny little one-sentence story about the time when Henry Rollins and The Misfits chased Motley Crue down the street before a gig as the Whiskey A Go-Go.