TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dangerous A

WWE Notes from the Observer

Here are the latest notes from the latest edition of the Observer.

-The 2/7 show at the Saitama Arena is expected to sellout according to those in Japan. It's Austin's first tour of Japan since he became Stone Cold. He worked several times for New Japan during his WCW days, including the now famous NWA title match with Masahiro Chono where he gave Chono a tombstone very similar to the one he got from Owen Hart and started Chono on a career filled with similar neck problems as Austin. (comment: karma's a bitch, ain't it?)

-Every major Japanese Promotion, including K-1, Pride, All Japan, New Japan, and NOAH within the past two months has made some sort of bid to get WWE talent for major shows in 2004. Philosophy right now in WWE is to do one Raw and Smackdown tour per year in Japan. There is no interest in sending talent to work for Japanese promotions. Most have approached with the idea of paying big money to bring in top stars to lose to native stars, which WWE isn't interested in.

-NOAH is attempting to bring in Angle and Lesnar for the Tokyo Dome show in august, but again, there is no interest. Pride wants a WWE rep in it's Grand Prix Tournament this year, Angle or Lesnar being the preferable choices. While nobody has numbers, Pride is willing to pay big money because they know it would take that to get the stars of that level to participate in shoot matches. But there is no way that will happen.

-Scheduled No Way Out card on 2/15 as of this weekend is Lesnar/Guerrero for the title, Cena/Show for the US title, and Rey/Chavo for the cruiserweight title.

-Angle has been training in the ring with the guys at the tapings and has told people he is feeling fine. He had been cleared to wrestle a couple of weeks ago, but the company wanted him to be cautious. Angle was on Mark Madden's radio show this past week saying he doesn't think his career can take another neck operation. He said he won't be taking any more chair shots to the head and he would be slowing down his matches. Madden asked Angle about the Olympics and Angle said if he competed, he'd get his ass kicked. He said he started to train for it but between shoulder, neck, and knee problems, there was no way.

-There is a lot of talk about doing the cruiserweight battle royal at WMXX. It may wind up being a pinfall battle royal as opposed to an over the top rope one since the cruiserweight style of match involves flying over the top ropes for a lot of offensive moves. They are thinking 10 men which would include Rey, Chavo, Kidman, Tajiri, Nunzio, Akio, and Noble. There was talk of Dean Malenko coming out of retirement for this match, but Dave is pretty sure that ain't happening.

-Heyman is now a bigger part of the creative staff, but his duties are largely house show presentation. Ross, Heyman, and John Laurinitis are doing the house show booking with the idea of throwing in curves and interviews at the shoe to give it a more TV feel.

-When Rock made his surprise appearance in Dec, he had so much fun he said he was going to clear his schedule for January. as well as work some in March to lead to WMXX. While it's not a lock, there is a good chance he'll be at the Rumble as a surprise appearance.

-Rock donated $10,000 this past week for 30,000 pounds of rice, spam, corned beef, cooking oil, and other food for the island of Samoa which will be arriving next week. Samoa was hit with a cyclone recently. Rock was contacted by his grandmother who now lives in a village in Samoa, saying the people in her area need food and he immediately wrote out a check to a supermarket in Kailua, Hawaii to send food.

-Regarding Foley. The feeling among those who know the story and where it's going is that nobody in wrestling would be able to do this story without burying themselves but Foley. This is a story Foley brought to Vince, and most if not all of the layout and the timing is his. One of the key parts of the story is to make Orton, which the company really needs. Foley and Rock need to do well because if people don't see Orton as a top guy, their return at Mania won't mean as much.

There it is. Discuss. Bitch. Moan. Gripe. Rejoice. I don't care. Just sound intelligent doing it.

Bitch. Moan. Gripe. Rejoice.

Angle would be slowing down his matches

Bitch.

There was talk of Dean Malenko coming out of retirement for this match, but Dave is pretty sure that ain't happening.

Moan.

One of the key parts of the story is to make Orton, which the company really needs

Gripe.

While it's not a lock, there is a good chance (Rock) will be at the Rumble as a surprise appearance.

Rejoice!

There it is. Discuss. Bitch. Moan. Gripe. Rejoice. I don't care. Just sound intelligent doing it.

I promice nothing.

-There is a lot of talk about doing the cruiserweight battle royal at WMXX. It may wind up being a pinfall battle royal as opposed to an over the top rope one since the cruiserweight style of match involves flying over the top ropes for a lot of offensive moves. They are thinking 10 men which would include Rey, Chavo, Kidman, Tajiri, Nunzio, Akio, and Noble. There was talk of Dean Malenko coming out of retirement for this match, but Dave is pretty sure that ain't happening.

Pro: Crusierweight gimmick match! (Has there ever been one of those in the WWE?)

Con: Not one that really "adds" to the cruiserweight division or showcases the "fun".

Pro: Pin falls rather than over-the-top elimination.

Con: A lot of cruisers will be eliminated in the first 5 minutes thus burying them ("hey, at least they're at WM!"... "shaddap")

Pro: Lots of people on outside of the ring = really big top rope spot OR the WCW signature of "everyone his their top rope spots".

Con: They'll probably be presented as "oh, lookit all those cute lil cruiserweights.. aawww...".

If Dean came back, that would be sweet.

Well if JR and King announce the CW battle royal then it will not help anybody. The announcers of Josh and Tazz are the only guys who could call the moves and make the mini rastlers look good.

Guest Deebo

Tazz and Cole would announce the CW battle royal since all the cruisers are on Smackdown

How about JR and Josh Mathews

"And a beautiful... move... there by Rey Mysterio Jr. Boy, that youngster sure can fly"

"I think that's Ultimo Dragon JR"

"Well bah gawd you're right. And now Tajiri with a breathtaking...move... there on Jamie Knoble."

"That's Akio doing a move on Paul London."

"Well aren't you perceptive. This ain't ballet Josh, you can put down your opera glasses."

*eerie silence*

"And there's a spectacular MOONSAULT *JR pauses for a moment cause he recognized a move and is proud of himself* an Asai moonsault *pauses again* by Ultimo Dragon - he invented the move, ya know, Josh?"

"Yeah I know he invented the asai moonsault but that was a senton splash by Rey Mysterio... jesus christ JR what match are you watching?"

"King? King? Coach? Can someone else get out here? I'm not feelin too pretty."

"-The 2/7 show at the Saitama Arena is expected to sellout according to those in Japan. It's Austin's first tour of Japan since he became Stone Cold. He worked several times for New Japan during his WCW days, including the now famous NWA title match with Masahiro Chono where he gave Chono a tombstone very similar to the one he got from Owen Hart and started Chono on a career filled with similar neck problems as Austin. (comment: karma's a bitch, ain't it?)"

Perfect comment man.

Guest Anglesault
NOAH is attempting to bring in Angle and Lesnar for the Tokyo Dome show in august, but again, there is no interest. Pride wants a WWE rep in it's Grand Prix Tournament this year, Angle or Lesnar being the preferable choices. While nobody has numbers, Pride is willing to pay big money because they know it would take that to get the stars of that level to participate in shoot matches. But there is no way that will happen.

Kurt would be a fool to not take one or both of these offers, especially if he's near the end of his career (Like if this is the last year).

I know there is talk of Angle leaving the industry at any moment, as there has been for the past year, but I have a feeling that he'll be around for a while.

Guest OSIcon
Yah AS, he's a near cripple and he's stupid for not taking a SHOOT fight!?

EDIT: I now assume you meant the other two. My mistake.

Actually, you were right the first time. The two options listed there are NOAH and Pride, so one of the options would be for a shoot fight. First off, the WWE would never in a million years let one of their top guys like Angle take part in a shoot fight that they stand to make no gain on. Second, Angle would be really dumb to accept it because it is just not worth the risks for him. It's not like he needs the money or the recognition.

These really aren't Angle's decisions to make. The WWE isn't going to let their workers wrestle for NOAH when they stand to gain very little from it. Plus, the NOAH payoff wouldn't be so big that he would be a "fool" not to take even if it was his decision.

Guest Anglesault
I don't think it's up to Angle though. WWE Brass won't allow it because it would either A)Jeopardize a top star's health or B)Make their top star look bad in their eyes

I think Kurt could kind of talk Vince into it if he wanted to.

Actually, you were right the first time. The two options listed there are NOAH and Pride, so one of the options would be for a shoot fight

Well then never mind.

Guest Anglesault
Plus, the NOAH payoff wouldn't be so big that he would be a "fool" not to take even if it was his decision.

I was partially talking about the pay (I saw "big money" on one of them) and partially just kind of the experience. I figured if the WWE has no long term major plans for him, why the hell not give it a shot.

But now I understand.

Pride wants a WWE rep in it's Grand Prix Tournament this year, Angle or Lesnar being the preferable choices. While nobody has numbers, Pride is willing to pay big money because they know it would take that to get the stars of that level to participate in shoot matches. But there is no way that will happen.

Send TAKER! SEND TAKER!!!!!!

takerfedor.jpg

Who's yard is it now? (FEDORS'!~)

Regarding Foley. The feeling among those who know the story and where it's going is that nobody in wrestling would be able to do this story without burying themselves but Foley. This is a story Foley brought to Vince, and most if not all of the layout and the timing is his. One of the key parts of the story is to make Orton, which the company really needs. Foley and Rock need to do well because if people don't see Orton as a top guy, their return at Mania won't mean as much.

Screw you, Foley.

Pride wants a WWE rep in it's Grand Prix Tournament this year, Angle or Lesnar being the preferable choices. While nobody has numbers, Pride is willing to pay big money because they know it would take that to get the stars of that level to participate in shoot matches. But there is no way that will happen.

Send TAKER! SEND TAKER!!!!!!

takerfedor.jpg

Who's yard is it now? (FEDORS'!~)

RRR, screw Tony Danza, you're the boss of this forum.

With Photoshop, a seemingly unlimited amount of MMA Highlight reels and Taker pictures, along with a server to post them... I am unstoppable. You all better hope I don't go forward and do The General series w/ Pictures, cause if so, this forum will have gotten a lot more Guerrero-ie-istic-ally... I don't know where I'm going with this, but I do know this, The General could make his photoshopic debut here soon!

Didn't the Game's in ring career kind of take a nose dive after the feud with Foley?

This could be a good thi....oh crap, HHH is still wrestling.

Dammit.

Yeah! Screw Foley for being willing to take a bullet for a company that's treated him like shit ever since the Commissioner angle ended!

If this works, and Randy Orton gets over by going against Foley, we'll all be singing his praises once again for making another young wrestler's career. Am I the only one who thinks that Mick Foley could actually pull it off?

The 2/7 show at the Saitama Arena is expected to sellout according to those in Japan. It's Austin's first tour of Japan since he became Stone Cold. He worked several times for New Japan during his WCW days, including the now famous NWA title match with Masahiro Chono where he gave Chono a tombstone very similar to the one he got from Owen Hart and started Chono on a career filled with similar neck problems as Austin. (comment: karma's a bitch, ain't it?)

Interesting.

I've never ever heard about this. All the discussions and fighting over the Austin & Owen thing and no one has ever thrown this back in Austin's face?