TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
The Ghost of bps21

Clinton Portis fails to understand

The problem is just piss poor timing. I don't think it is that too wrong for NFL players to holdout, considering the teams have the option of dumping them whenever they want. But to bring this up in January (when you still have about 8 months to renegotiate) and while your team is already in a salary cap crunch is wrong.

That's what signing bonuses are for.

Bingo.

He basically signed a contract for 1.29 million dollars (his bonus). What he makes per year is just gravy.

It all balances out at the end of your career when you're washed up and getting paid too much based on past accomplishments.

Furthermore...having your rookies under affordable contracts is about the only way teams can still run under the cap.

If a rookie signs a multi-year deal, gets seriously hurt and cut, then he should get the rest of his contract, not just a signing bonus.

But like I said before, if you don't like what you are making, then you shouldn't have signed the contract. Hell, if Portis would have kept his mouth shut and played out his contract he could have gotten a great payday (not like he'll get one anyway) once he became a free agent because he would have shown what a team player he was and didn’t hold out...

The teams shouldn't be on the hook for a career ending injury. Perhaps he gets that year paid but that should be it and the team can file for injury relief like I believe NBA teams can if someone is going to be out for a year (Grant Hill).

Guest OctoberBlood

God, I despise players that do this junk.. Fuck you Portis.

I think it's funny how he tries to say hes not bigger than anyone on the team, then says people on special teams make more than him. His whole explination is quite hilarious.

Portis just lost a fan. :|

Guest FrigidSoul

He put the Big Gold Belt on and stole the essence of Hulk Hogan evidently.

Paul Tagliebeau needs to lock these players out of the NFL. If they're not going to honor their contracts then they shouldn't be allowed to come back to the league.

So...if he does end up holding out...does he have to give back the rest of his signing bonus?

I mean...the bonus is for the contract...and if he doesn't want the second half of the contract...shouldn't half of the bonus be paid back to the team?

That's how you prevent this. If Portis wants to sit...let him sit, take back half his bonus and let him not play for the last 2 years. I bet no one ever holds out again.

Denver will just draft another RB, and Portis won't even be missed.

Another thing. Since the NFL season is over. Shouldn't we make an offseason thread, like we did with MLB. The important stories would get their own threads, but any free agent signings, and general NFL chat would occur in one thread.

Guest Dynamite Kido

How dare you people talk that way about the World heavyweight champion.

I just missed a chance to meet Drew Bledsoe before. My neighbor's cousin is Todd Rucci, who played OL for a few years with NE. I was out the day that he brough Bledsoe over to my neighbor's house. Needless to say I was pissed.

Hey Clinton would look awful nice in a Pats uniform :)

Won't happen...but regardless Griffin could run for over 1,000 EASY anyways so goodbye Portis.

Do owners cut guys whenever they want and totally fuck up a contract when they please? Yes.

Clinton Portis can do whatever the hell he wants.

No...he can't.

When you sign a contract the only thing you are guarnateed is the signing bonus...which has been paid to him.

The point of the contract is that his rights are owned by the club for the life of it. For the 4 years that he signed...he has no right to walk away.

The club can terminate whenever they feel like it, because they have already paid the player the guaranteed money.

So...if Portis wants to hand back his bonus money...then he would have an argument.

Guest Salacious Crumb

Sure give him a nice big contract......

but if his production is worse than last year he has to give all but the $380,000 back.

One thing to remember. Alex Gibbs the Offensive Line coach for Denver, left for Atlanta. The O-Line may not be nearly as effective has it had been.

What, you mean without all the questionable chop-blocking?

I hate it when players hold out. You signed your name to the contract, now honor it. It'd be one thing if Portis were to say something like, "I've had a couple great years and I think I'm underpaid." That's using the press to your advantage, and might get a new offer out of the team. But holding out does nothing except turn people against you. I thought it was great when Jack Kent Cooke let John Riggins sit out the whole year when he was holding out for more money.