TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mole

How come some are for...

hmmm...

I'll be pro-abortion and anti-death penalty.

The criminals are going to be in jail for life...so they post no threat to murder anyone else.

Those unborn babies though...they could kill at any time. My plan will prevent that!

Remember kids.. it says Cruel AND Unusual. Meaning, it can be cruel if it's common and it can be unusual if it's not cruel.

Anyways..

Abortion: Ideally, people should be more responsible for themselves. There are cases were it's needed for the health of the parent, or due to weird circumstances (rape/incest). Also, the Government if they chose to crack down on it by banning it altogether, would fail miserably. Like they have in every other big time ban. Partial-Birth Abortions could be allowed if due to the health of the mother. But, you have to consider that for other cases, there's alot of time that was wasted.

Death Penalty: Some people do commit crimes that are worthy of death. Don't give me that 'feeling bad' crap. Alot of murderers are the type who wouldn't just start feeling bad about what happened. Also, executions should be cheaper. None of this 'spend more money executing the person than you'd spend housing them stuff'. Are there cases where innocent people have been executed? Yeah, probably. But, we can't read minds. As with any action, there's a rate of 'malfunction' that will just happen.

As for prisons (I noticed some comments on that). First, under my ultimate plan, which is not really realistic. Prisoner numbers go down once drugs are legalized and dealers are driven out of business by capitalism. Some people will still go to jail big time if under drugs while doing certain things, like crimes. But, there should be some libraries. Television may be a bit much. Still, Prisoners might end up better off if they spend some time reading. Instead of doing some other stuff that prisoners usually do.

Basically, pro-death penalty and pro-not banning abortion here.

hmmm...

The criminals are going to be in jail for life...so they post no threat to murder anyone else.

Those unborn babies though...they could kill at any time. My plan will prevent that!

I'm with you on that one; pro-abortion and anti-death.

I just see it as a fetus isn't really a human yet; so it isn't murder.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

And a convicted murderer is a human?

I disagree. I'm pro-choice, and pro-capital punishment. Pro choice because I wouldn't feel right banning a medical procedure, and sending everyone's sister, daughter, or mother to a rusty hook in someone's back room. There's PLENTY of reasons not to have a child, I think. The fact that abortions are pretty damned expensive and painful (I guess) should tell people that they DON'T get used constantly as birth control like Pat Robertson likes to make it out to be. If the fetus isn't viable, then it's her business. If it's a baby on the other hand, then I can only justify it in cases of preserving the mother's life..which is pretty much the only time THOSE procedures happen.

I'm pro-capital punishment because I'm pro-revenge. I think the vitims' family should be offered to "throw the switch." I know I would.

Guest BDC
hmmm...

Those unborn babies though...they could kill at any time.  My plan will prevent that!

And you don't believe in capital punishment why?

Really. Sanctity of human life? Don't believe in taking it? C'mon, I dare you.

I don't like the term 'pro-abortion'. It gives me this image of people walking around and handing out pamphlets to pregnant women, telling them all the wonderfull benefits of ending their pregnancy.

'No painfull labour! No midnight feedings!'

hmmm...

Those unborn babies though...they could kill at any time.  My plan will prevent that!

And you don't believe in capital punishment why?

Really. Sanctity of human life? Don't believe in taking it? C'mon, I dare you.

I just think that it is an easy way out. I believe sitting in jail for the rest of their life is much worse than being put to death.

IMHO, the death penalty gives the possibility of an innocent life being taken. And I'd rather someone suffered for their crimes.

I'm pro-abortion purely because the alternative means that children would be born into families that don't want them.

Guest The Satanic Angel

A convicted felon of the most heinous crimes are of no use to our society, dead or alive. Why waste tax dollars to house them?

Guest BDC
IMHO, the death penalty gives the possibility of an innocent life being taken. And I'd rather someone suffered for their crimes.

I'm pro-abortion purely because the alternative means that children would be born into families that don't want them.

Did you miss something in the pages of this discussion? Please go back and check.

Did you miss something in the pages of this discussion? Please go back and check.

Hey, that's my point of view.

Guest SP-1

Personally, I'm against both. Taking a life is taking a life here. Self-defense or war-time are the only times I can think of where purposefully taking a life is even remotely acceptable.

Time to get a bit tangential...

What do you think of emergency contraception - i.e. the ever-popular morning after pill - especially its relationship to abortion? I raise it because its availability at the school student health office is the latest "big topic" at my university, receiving a glut of editorial space and lots of shouting in either direction.

The strangest position I've seen espoused comes from an individual who is against the availability of emergency contraception, but also pro-choice. Or, as I read it, for terminating a pregnancy further down the road when a fetus certainly couldn't be less viable than it would be 24 hours after the fact. Some sides see EC as a viable safeguard in case of condom breakage or rape, while others see it as a reckless alternative and connect it to abortion as an after-the-act solution (with the lovely side effect of spreading STDs like butter on toast). Thoughts?

Also, executions should be cheaper. None of this 'spend more money executing the person than you'd spend housing them stuff'.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't executing people cost more due to the costs of the appeals they're guaranteed to make, and all that jazz?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't executing people cost more due to the costs of the appeals they're guaranteed to make, and all that jazz?

Indeed it does. It seems to make sense that actually imprisoning someone for life would cost more, but that turns out not to be the case. Still, there are ways we could reduce the cost of the death penalty process, and the cost of one vs. the other isn't really the point.

I wouldn't doubt it. Considering inmates are on death row for 20 years. The cost has too add up. That's one problem I have with the current state of the death penalty. People should be allowed to appeal, but it should not take 20 years to execute someone who is clearly guilty of murder.

Indeed it does. It seems to make sense that actually imprisoning someone for life would cost more, but that turns out not to be the case. Still, there are ways we could reduce the cost of the death penalty process, and the cost of one vs. the other isn't really the point.

Fits in with the discussion.

yahoonews.com

Just another reason the 9th circuit needs to be broken up.

I haven't read anything, so, here goes.

Im for the death penalty and not abortion because abortion is (religion aside) taking an INNOCENT life, while the death penalty is not. Although there have probably been some people killed based on faulty evidence.

People should be allowed to appeal, but it should not take 20 years to execute someone who is clearly guilty of murder.

Precisely. There should be a limited duration for the appeals, though. An inmate shouldn't be able to drag the process out a dozen or more years. There's such a thing as giving the accused their rights, and there's also such a thing as making a mockery of the judicial system. It should be a simple process: if you are convicted of a capital crime and sentenced to die, then you have five years to make your appeals and plead your case. On that 1827th day, though, you should be taken from your cell and executed. No ifs, ands, buts, or anything else.

Pro-Life, except in cases where the mother's life is in danger, or rape/incest. Even with the situation of rape, I'd prefer no abortion, but I won't even pretend to know what it's like to go through that, but I still dislike the idea of aborting the child.

Pro-Justice.

Yeah, that includes the death penalty.

What do you think of emergency contraception - i.e. the ever-popular morning after pill - especially its relationship to abortion?

Some sides see EC as a viable safeguard in case of condom breakage or rape, while others see it as a reckless alternative and connect it to abortion as an after-the-act solution (with the lovely side effect of spreading STDs like butter on toast).

I've never understood the controversy over the morning-after pill. It's not a convenient method of birth control. You have to get it from a doctor, and it's got some unpleasant side effects as well. Using a rubber or standard pills is much, much easier.

Or, to put it another way: does anyone here know ANYBODY who's ever had consensual, willingly unprotected sex and then used a morning-after pill as birth control?