TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
C Dubya 04

Star Wars DVD's

Who's side was everyone on? I mean I was on Vader's side. Xizor was a prissy little prick anyways.

Here's something funny. People hate Anakin as a kid and teenager and absolutely love Darth Vader. I am guilty of it to. I can't stand that cocky little bastard. But when he becomes Vader I think he's to coolest.

Is it because Vader is such and evil badass? Or is it the suit?

Who's side was everyone on? I mean I was on Vader's side. Xizor was a prissy little prick anyways.

Vader. A problem is that Xizor was created to be both Vader's equal and a one-shot baddie (so that it didn't conflict with anything in the Trilogy) and because of that, the character simply doesn't work.

Conversely, this is why baddies like Thrawn, Daala and Isard WORK. They are featured in multi-novel arcs and thus given more time to develop, and gives us more time to care about the characters. Had they decided to let Xizor live and feature him in more stories (not writen by K.W. Jeter), I think we would have liked him better in the long run. But we didn't, and so we don't, and as a result Xizor is Just Another EU character.

Is it because Vader is such and evil badass? Or is it the suit?

It's the TIE Fighter. Everyone loves the TIE Fighter...

I was on Vader's side, but not because Xixor was a one-shot guy, he was just an inferior. I marked for his hottie human replica droid though. Reading about that thing made my little 13 year old self get a chubby.

Since I've been in Star Wars Geek Mode all weekend and this week, I'm watching all the films, and the jump from Episode II to IV is whiplash-inducing. I have such a hard time thinking of Vader as Anakin.

I just wanted Xizor to get it on with Leia. After that he was just disposable. Admiral Thrawn is/was a much better character with longer-lasting repercussions.

Guest Ram
EDIT: I found this on some site, looks like Hayden in the suit:

episodeIIIdv.jpg

Yes, I can totally believe that that is supposed to be Luke's father, already 20-25 years older than him, along with the aging/physical effects that come from 20 years of corrupting the force...

</sarcasm>

They couldn't have at least whitened his hair or stuck a bald cap on him or something?

It's a photoshopped image, I think.

From JoBlo.com, HUGE spoiler image (do NOT click if you don't wish to be spoiled!):

http://www.joblo.com/index.php?id=3792

Guest The Midnight Rocking Warrior

You know every important Jedi/ mercenary character in the trilogy has their own little victory ( Spoilers)

Darth killed Obi-wan ( Even though Kenobi let him) and Beat Luke in ESB

Luke beat Darth in ROTJ

The Emperor killed Darth and was kicking Luke's ass, before Darth killed him.

Obi-wan killed Darth Maul

Darth Maul killed Qui-Gon

Bill the Butch........ oops wrong movie

Mace Windu killed Jango

Jango killed a Jedi and whatever the hell that horned thing was

Yoda fought to a stalemate with Count Dooku

Count Dooku beat Anakin and Obi-wan at the same time

Qui-Gon killed.........ummmmmm.........errrrrrr....... ( Rewatches the Phantom Menace) Qui-Gon killed a few droids ( What a badass)

Am I leaving anyone out?

Well, yeah. They're freaking Jedi.

If the prequel trilogy did anything better than the original, it put the Jedi over HUGE as just being fuckin' awesome. I mean, I thought the Jedi/Force-related story part of the original trilogy was boring until I saw Jedi in action in the prequels. Now I find the originals even more entertaining.

Guest Askewniverse

More info from IGN:

-2.35:1 anamorphic widescreeen (fullscreen also available)

-Dolby Digital 5.1 EX encoding, plus Dolby Surround Sound

-it will be a four-disc set (1 for each movie, 1 bonus disc with extras)

-each movie will have a commentary track

Stores are now taking reserves for the DVD set. I just reserved my copy for only $5 down.

I said this earlier and I'll say it again.

I didn't have a problem with the original Special Edition's because they didn't change anything. They added things in but they didn't take out the original actors work or anything like that. They didn't replace any actors.

Here they are actually trying to make totally new movies it seems. That's just insane.

So when I finally show my kids Star Wars I'm going to have to make a schedule.

"Ok kids. On Sunday night we watch Phantom Menace. Monday we watch Attack of the Clones. Tuesday we watch Episode 3. On Wednesday we watch a New Hope version 1. Then on Thursday it's a New Hope version 1.2. And then....*time passes*.........we finally finish 2 months from now with Return of the Jedi the Final unchanging we swear we're finished version 10. Now kids.....any questions?"

I didn't have a problem with the original Special Edition's because they didn't change anything.

Greedo shooting first was a pretty big change.

I mean they didn't take the original actors out. At least they let there work remain. In this they're replacing actors that shot the movie and were in the credits! They're totally gone now! Why don't they just remake the damn things if they want to make them so new and improved!? I swear.

Also I have to agree it's getting out of hand. I mean the special edition was alright because I understood the logic that Lucas had behind it. "Well it was ahead of it's time and it was unfinished. So now I'm going to finish it." But I don't see the logic behind this! "I made some new movies and figured that everyone would be confused and that nobody is smart enough to figure out that the old one's were made 25 years ago! So I'm just going to change a bunch of stuff and add actors from the new ones to keep the idiots 10 years down the line from getting confused."

They didn't replace any actors.

Yeah, they did. They put CG Jabba over the original Jabba which was just some fat old guy in a fur suit. :lol:

I didn't have a problem with the original Special Edition's because they didn't change anything.

I disagree. In the grand scheme of things, it makes so little difference to the Han character that it is, in my mind, inconsequential.

As for the theoretical changes for the DVD... we'll see, I guess. I want to see them before I decide if they were a good idea or not.

They didn't replace any actors.

Yeah, they did. They put CG Jabba over the original Jabba which was just some fat old guy in a fur suit. :lol:

It was never intended for that fat guy to appear on the movie at all. He was just a stand-in until they could figure out what to do. I believe they originally didn't have the time/money to pull off whatever they wanted, so it was forgotten until the Special Editions came along.

No it wasn't. Hell, take the entire Greedo scene out of the film and isn't that big a deal. It is meant to establish Han's character and that Jabba is after him. That is all taken care of later anyways.

If you ignore the inserted Jabba scene from the SE, then Han hanging on Jabba's wall in Jedi is the only other connection between Han & Jabba. It's never mentioned again between the Greedo scene and ROTJ.

Since the scene *was* in the original movie, changing it to Greedo shooting 1st doesn't fit with the Han character. That's why I consider it a big change.

If you ignore the inserted Jabba scene from the SE, then Han hanging on Jabba's wall in Jedi is the only other connection between Han & Jabba. It's never mentioned again between the Greedo scene and ROTJ.

It is mentioned several times in ESB. Most notably when Han is talking about the bounty hunter he ran into on Ord Mantell, and when Vader & Boba Fett are talking about it in Cloud City.

More importantly, he also mentions it in ANH when he is going to take off prior to the Battle of Yavin.

Came across this on Yahoo.com:

Minor Spoiler

New Darth Vader Costume Shown on DVD

Tue Apr 20,11:00 AM ET

LOS ANGELES - Fans can get a first look at the new Darth Vader costume from the 2005 "Star Wars: Episode III" prequel on the upcoming DVD collection of the original trilogy, Lucasfilm announced Monday.

The first three "Star Wars" films debut for the first time in digital format on Sept. 21.

The Darth Vader featurette promises an interview with creator George Lucas (news) discussing how Jedi warrior Anakin Skywalker became the fearsome space villain.

It also will show behind-the-scenes footage of actors Hayden Christensen (news), who plays Anakin, and Ewan McGregor (news), who plays Obi-Wan Kenobi, engaged in the forthcoming film's climactic lightsaber duel.

"We're going to see the evolution of this character and go places with Darth Vader we've never gone before," said Jim Ward, a Lucasfilm marketer and DVD executive producer. "Our fans have been eagerly awaiting every morsel of `Episode III' as we divulge it. We're giving it to them piece by piece."

He said the DVD would hold back, however, on most of the details, which are being saved for the final installment in the prequel trilogy, set for release in theaters on May 19, 2005.

Besides the three movies, subtitled "A New Hope," "The Empire Strikes Back" and "Return of the Jedi," the DVD collection also will include documentaries about the history of the laser-sword lightsabers, an exploration of how some of the famous alien creatures were inspired and created, and a playable Xbox (news - web sites) videogame demo for the upcoming game Star Wars: Battlefront.

But Jabba isn't mentioned by name. He makes it clear that he owes *someone* big time, but it's never mentioned whom he owes.

Well if they mentioned Jabba earlier then anyone with half a brain should be able to figure it out.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen
I prefer the SEs, but I don't understand why Lucas won't release the Originals if there is an audience for it.

Greedo shooting first sucks, I don't like seeing the Wampa, and Luke's scream in Cloud City doesn't make sense, but I like the rest of the changes. We actually get a good look at locations like Mos Eisley & Cloud City now, and at the very least we can no longer see through the snowspeeders. That drove me crazy in the originals.

They messed with YUB YUB.

I prefer the SEs, but I don't understand why Lucas won't release the Originals if there is an audience for it.

Greedo shooting first sucks, I don't like seeing the Wampa, and Luke's scream in Cloud City doesn't make sense, but I like the rest of the changes.  We actually get a good look at locations like Mos Eisley & Cloud City now, and at the very least we can no longer see through the snowspeeders.  That drove me crazy in the originals.

That's a good change.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

Greedo shooting first sucks, I don't like seeing the Wampa, and Luke's scream in Cloud City doesn't make sense, but I like the rest of the changes.  We actually get a good look at locations like Mos Eisley & Cloud City now, and at the very least we can no longer see through the snowspeeders.  That drove me crazy in the originals.

That's a good change.

You poor bastard.