TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Red Baron

Alice In Chains and Slayer

MTV: JERRY CANTRELL To Jam With ALICE IN CHAINS Bandmates - Feb. 10, 2004

Since moving from Seattle to Los Angeles eight months ago, former ALICE IN CHAINS guitarist Jerry Cantrell has re-established lines of communication with former CHAINS bassist Mike Inez and drummer Sean Kinney, and plans to jam with them later this month, according to MTV.com.

"We don't have any expectations," he stressed. "We're gonna get in a room, have a little fun and see what goes down. Anything's possible."

Inez and Kinney performed on Cantrell's 1998 solo album, "Boggy Depot", but haven't played with him since ALICE disbanded.

"I was kinda waiting to see if the ALICE thing would ever materialize again," Jerry said. "But I really miss playing with those guys."

Cantrell told MTV.com that his top priority is writing new material and figuring out what to do with the tunes he wrote last year, which he said are unlike anything he's previously recorded. "It's really its own thing," he said. "I'm not sure which direction I'm gonna go with them, but the music's great. It's definitely a next chapter, which is satisfying."

Cantrell also spoke about "Ashes to Ashes", a track he recorded last November with DAMAGEPLAN, the band consisting of former PANTERA guitarist Dimebag Darrell and drummer Vinnie Paul. The song, submitted for the "Punisher" film soundtrack, features Cantrell on vocals alongside DAMAGEPLAN singer Patrick Lachman (ex-HALFORD guitarist).

"It happened around Thanksgiving," he recalled. "I went hunting with my dad and brother, and we bagged a deer and then headed down to Dallas. I always give Darrell some of my kill, and we ended up hanging out. He had a tune he wanted me to check out, and it was great. So he said, 'We don't have any vocals on this. Why don't you try to throw something down?' I was really tired 'cause it was like 6 a.m., but he was really persistent. So I threw something down and it became this great track that sounds like PANTERA crossed with ALICE IN CHAINS."

In other news, Cantrell entered the studio two weeks ago with veteran rockers HEART to record a solo for "Fallen Ones", scheduled to appear on the group's upcoming album. He also recorded several guitar riffs for FILTER frontman Richard Patrick that may end up on the next FILTER album.

Cantrell is currently without a record deal, having severed his ties with the Roadrunner label after the 2002 release of his sophomore solo effort, "Degradation Trip".

SLAYER Set For OZZFEST 2004? - Feb. 10, 2004

SLAYER are strongly rumored to be close to landing a slot on the main stage at this year's Ozzfest, informed sources have told BLABBERMOUTH.NET. As previously reported, OZZY OSBOURNE will once again be headlining the annual traveling festival while SLIPKNOT and HATEBREED are said to be "all but confirmed" to co-headline the festival's second stage. Other bands rumored to be in the running for a slot at this year's Ozzfest include JUDAS PRIEST, DAMAGEPLAN and SUPERJOINT RITUAL. An official announcement regarding the exact lineup for the festival is expected to be made during the coming weeks.

credit: Blabbermouth.net

All I can say is this...

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Any chance of DAMAGEPLAN doing a studio album? Can this band be as successful as Audioslave or will it be doomed to be trapped in rehab like that STP/GNR band Velvet Revolver?

Guest Choken One

Wow...

Ozzy

Slayer

Hatebreed

Slipknot

I'll pass.

How hard is it for Ozzy and SHaron to go "Ok, We'll play and bring those shadows fall kids and In Flame along with us.."

A crowd of Hatebreed and Slipknot fans would not only be the UGLIEST concert but the most VILE and PUTRID one of all time.

Guest Doyo
How hard is it for Ozzy and SHaron to go "Ok, We'll play and bring those shadows fall kids and In Flame along with us.."

Shadows Fall were on the 2003 Ozzfest. They will add more bands to the 2004 later.

Anthrax will probably remain the only somewhat major band who wants to be on an

Ozzfest but hasn't.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Slayer, NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Don't do it. Don't make me want to go to the gayest, cheesiest, most overpriced concert tour in the world. It used to be good, but the second stage is so fucking homogenized now that it's intolerable to listen to. Main stage is usually hit or miss, with a bad habit of bands I like playing poorly, with a lousy crowd of people just there for the Ozzy spectacle. The first few years were a tip-top modestly priced metal tour, really, but 2000 hit, and became violently commercial.

Any chance of DAMAGEPLAN doing a studio album? Can this band be as successful as Audioslave or will it be doomed to be trapped in rehab like that STP/GNR band Velvet Revolver?

They've got one out called "New Found Power." We've got it at the station, I've played a couple tracks and it's not bad, though I haven't listened to the whole thing or any of it real carefully.

Guest Choken One
Slayer, NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Don't do it. Don't make me want to go to the gayest, cheesiest, most overpriced concert tour in the world. It used to be good, but the second stage is so fucking homogenized now that it's intolerable to listen to. Main stage is usually hit or miss, with a bad habit of bands I like playing poorly, with a lousy crowd of people just there for the Ozzy spectacle. The first few years were a tip-top modestly priced metal tour, really, but 2000 hit, and became violently commercial.

Since the TV exposure has died out, Perhaps it won't be as putrid as it once was (at least from a Crowd standpoint) but as long as smelly 15 year Slipknot fans are there...nothing helps...

The mere FACT that Motorhead hasn't gotten on this tour astounds me, If they are willing to support Randy Orton, I don't see how selling out to Sharon Osbourne is any worst.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

This is starting to reek of Pantera "reunion" rumors. Give it a week before Ozz-co. perpetuates a web myth suckering Pantera completists into witnessing a hypothetical magic metyl moment. Well, Superjoint and Damageplan are both crap anyhow, so they might as well get it over with, and put out that very last horrible Pantera album that never needed to be made..the anxiously awaited followup to..Reinventing the Steel? Ugh. I miss Vulgar Display of Power as something new and exciting.

What is Sharon's problem that she won't let Anthrax on Ozzfest? Ozzy and those guys were friends in the 80's and may have even toured together.

Guest Choken One

Has she ever actually gone out and said "NO! Anthrax can't play!" or something?

Don't the Foo Fighters want to do this show as well?

If they do, Ozzfest will discombobulate on the spot.

Guest Agent of Oblivion
Don't the Foo Fighters want to do this show as well?

Oh my gay.

Has she ever actually gone out and said "NO! Anthrax can't play!" or something?

I've never heard her say it but Scott Ian has said a number of times over the last few years they pushed to get on that tour and they always get turned down. Also, I think I remember reading an interview with John Bush and he said they came up with the $150,000 Sharon wants from each band to play on the tour and still got turned down.

I mean if you got to go AoO, just call almost everyone you see there, with their Nu-Metal crap, or see youngin's wearin Judas Priest or Slayer stuff, and say "who's the original members" or "whats their first album".

If no reply, or some ludacris answer (ie Black Album was Metallica's first album) then thus call them a poseur :-D

That's what I plan on doing, baron. Gonna be wearing my Slayer shirt from the Extreme Steel Tour, torn jeans, Chucks...be like "hey, what album was considered Slayer's milestone?" If they say anything other than Hell Awaits or Reign In Blood, I'm smacking 'em.

Funny story and pretty hilarious.

I was with a bunch of friends, and like myself, die hard Maiden fans.

So there was this little group, and basically talkin about some stuff, and consequently, we over heard this one kid, saying Bruce Dickinson was their only singer.

I thought I miss heard him at first, and asked him what he said. And he did , Bruce was their only singer.

We all laughed, as his group looked at us, and they say they were die hard maiden fans.

They thought Number of the Beast was their first album.

Not that I don't want to jump at a chance to see Slayer(again), but that means I have to pay a premium ozzfest ticket price to see a most likely short set by Slayer. Hmmm......I just dunno. I know my GF would try to kill me if I caused her to miss Slayer & Ozzy, but I have seen both numerous times, and I am just tired of Ozzfest as a whole.....

Guest Doyo
What is Sharon's problem that she won't let Anthrax on Ozzfest? Ozzy and those guys were friends in the 80's and may have even toured together.

from an interview with Scott Ian that can be found here.

21. Why don't you guys get an Ozzfest slot? Does Sharon & Ozzy have a problem with you guys or what?

"I wish I knew. When we toured with Ozzy in '88 it was awesome. I know there was some political crap going on behind the scenes between our manager and Sharon. They were trying to get us off the tour and we couldn't figure out why. The shows were great. After two months we finally were told we were off the tour. They still had a month to go. We went out on a headline tour(Headbangers Ball tour), our first arena headlining thing. Ozzy threw Winger on without any notice. The night after we were off the tour they played Reno and thousands of fans were waiting for us to come on. They were surprised to say the least to see all those white teeth of Kips. According to some of our friends on Ozzys crew, Winger got booed and worse. The tour lasted like 3 more gigs and then they cancelled the rest of the shows and went home. We never knew why they wanted us off. If it was a management thing we didn't know. If it was something we did then I apologize. We would love to do Ozzfest."

Maybe they can bring out Winger...someone needs to fill the Linkinpark/Crazytown/etc roles on the main stage ;)

and Justin Timberlake at SarsStock

The crowd won't be too hot when they come on stage, but by the end, probably witness one of the best live acts in the last few years.