TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest JumpinJackFlash

Monday Night Wars DVD

I have the whole Final Nitro and the RAW from that night on tape.

But this DVD sounds intriguing. It doesn't spin everything to the WWE's revisionist history outlook does it?

The DVD will be realeased March 23 in Canada. That said, the feature sounds REALLY interesting and the era they cover were during my peak interest in wrestling so i may just order an import now.

For extras, they really should have included the old school Nitro opening. :headbang:

The DVD will be realeased March 23 in Canada. That said, the feature sounds REALLY interesting and the era they cover were during my peak interest in wrestling so i may just order an import now.

For extras, they really should have included the old school Nitro opening. :headbang:

Which version of it?

Like the many Raw openings over the years, they had to keep refreshing it with all the new talent, gone talent, heel to face changes, and such going on.

Liek I said before, what makes this DVD great is the commentary from the wrestlers on both sides of the spectrum. You have Bischoff, Foley, v-Mac, JR and others giving thier honest true insight on what happened. Then thier are the actual wrestlers like Eddie, Jericho, Benoit, Flair and others giving experience to what exactly happened. Also as a treat, Cornette is on thier muliple times giving his insight on what happened and he is RIGHT ON with his opinions. As a extra you get those old Cornette segements where he talked about what he really thinks what's going on.

Well, up until the Russo era, it was essentially the same thing with a few guys being replaced on the buildings. I'd go with the 97' nWo invasion version though.

It's not a total WWE revisionist piece, but it definitely stresses and leans on certain points.

For example when they talk about what happened at Survivor Series 97, if you didn't know the inside story you'd have no idea what they were talking about. They show the end of the match and the narrator says something like "when Vince Macmahon decided to end the match early..." They do include Mick Foley saying that Vince definitely screwed Bret, and Bret didn't screw Bret though.

The main feature is abour an hour and 35 minutes or so, and there are about 80-some minutes of extras. I've just watched one or two so far, the coolest being Jim Cornette's rant about the state of wrestling. "Yes, Hulk Hogan, you're a household name, but so is garbage, and you both stink when you get old."

It's a really well done, but not perfect. Definitely worth a watch, though.

Guest Black Tiger

Only real revisionist slant that I could see was that they made it sound like every time someone left for WCW they had "betrayed" the WWF but when they jumped from WCW they did to to better their careers and escape politics.

Guest MikeSC

I'll say it --- EASILY the best feature DVD. There have been others with better matches, but this is one of the few where the main feature is just top-notch. Definitely not as slanted as expected (though WWF's crap storylines don't get mentioned at all as a reason WCW did really well).

I was impressed that Bischoff wasn't all that apologetic for anything.

And the main feature was longer than 83 minutes, wasn't it? It seemed to be fairly lengthy, and very entertaining.

However, Vince did seem to try and play martyr a bit too much.

-=Mike

Guest Real F'n Show

I definately need to pick this up soon. It sounds awesome, but are there more extra matches then what is listed? And do they talk about WCW's Cruiserweight's at all?

Guest MikeSC
I definately need to pick this up soon. It sounds awesome, but are there more extra matches then what is listed? And do they talk about WCW's Cruiserweight's at all?

The wrestlers state that the addition of luchadores and the like helped the WCW product a lot.

And they also mention the frustration that the same guys were on top throughout this entire span.

-=Mike

Guest Dynamite Kido

Of course I went to pick this up yesterday at the best buy near my house and they didn't have it. I did get the Stone Cold Truth DVD, which was pretty solid. But I can't believe they didn't have the Monday Night Wars one.

It also, no NO way, takes sides. It tells the story of the entire "war", and it does not put WCW in a horrible light as they seem to always want to do. They admit when WCW did something right and when WWE did something wrong. It just feels perfect as you watch it. Sure they left out a few things here and there, but they can't freaking mention everything that went on throughout all of those years.

Wow... and I thought the WWE would take sides. Impressive. I'll have to get this now.

I just finished watching it, and wow was it a great trip down memory lane. I highly recommend it to all fans from that era.

I loved the wrestling scene back then, and damnit...it reminded me once again just how much that WWE needs come competition once again.

I don't understand the people who want to go back to these days.

Yes, Vince was kept on his toes, but it was a terrible time to be a wrestler. The managements were more concerned with each other and certain politicians (Nash, for one) really got a hell of a lot of power as a result of the lack of oversight.

People who were friends of guys like Hogan and Nash got tremendous pushes while guys like Benoit and Guerrero were treated like crap (I can still remember the "Free Chris Benoit!" sigs in the newsgroups back then.)

I mean, it was fun to be a viewer, and at least guys had another boss to work for if they pissed someone off at their old place, but the new boss was same as the old boss so it didn't really matter.

The whole war period was a really unhappy time on both sides.

I don't give a shit about all of that as a fan who just watches the show, I simply care about what I see on my TV, and back then, it was outstanding.

Of course I feel for the guys, but I don't let all of that backstage shit get in the way of my enjoyment of what I see on TV. I didn't back then, and I don't right now. It's just the way I am.

Just picked it up at Suncoast for 24.99 - a bit pricey, but it's already living up to every penny.

The angles and promos of the time period, such as the Flair return in Greensboro and Austin/Tyson confrontation are absolutely great to see again - I'd recommend this DVD to anyone who's leaning towards purchasing it.

, such as the Flair return in Greensboro

It was in Greenville! :)

EDIT: My bad. :lol:

Both of it was in Greenville, I was at the "Flair Returns" Nitro, and it was at the Bi-Lo center in Greenville.

LMAO, in between the time I SAW what you had posted, and when I clicked it to quote, you changed it.

I've never had that to happen before, you dirty dog.

I don't give a shit about all of that as a fan who just watches the show, I simply care about what I see on my TV, and back then, it was outstanding.

Kevin Nash as Poochie The Main Eventer was, in my mind, not outstanding. Chris Benoit jobbing to Fit Finlay for the US title, while a good match, was not awesome.

Even you admitted that only one young guy managed to get a push.

Guest Real F'n Show

which Benoit/Booker T match is on this? I'm picking it up Friday along with the Foley one.