TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest JumpinJackFlash

Monday Night Wars DVD

I go into Best Buy today to buy this disc and get told by the man patrolling the DVD aisle (best job ever) that they don't carry the Monday Night DVD.

Despite the commercial on Monday Night advertising that Best Buy would be carrying it.

rrar.

I don't give a shit about all of that as a fan who just watches the show, I simply care about what I see on my TV, and back then, it was outstanding.

Kevin Nash as Poochie The Main Eventer was, in my mind, not outstanding. Chris Benoit jobbing to Fit Finlay for the US title, while a good match, was not awesome.

Even you admitted that only one young guy managed to get a push.

I didn't love everything that happened in WWF and WCW at the time, but both shows had a more enjoyable feel to me then, than we have right now. I loved the shots they took back and forth, I loved seeing guys jump between the two groups, and everything else.

To me, it was just a much better time to be a fan, even with some of the crap that we saw take place.

Guest MikeSC
I don't give a shit about all of that as a fan who just watches the show, I simply care about what I see on my TV, and back then, it was outstanding.

Kevin Nash as Poochie The Main Eventer was, in my mind, not outstanding. Chris Benoit jobbing to Fit Finlay for the US title, while a good match, was not awesome.

Benoit jobbed to Fit Finlay in a TV Title match at Slamboree, but he didn't job to him for the U.S Title.

Heck, here, there were 2 racks each of the Austin DVD and Monday Night Wars at the local Best Buy.

Today, most of the Austin titles remain, but MNW is TOTALLY gone.

This might beat out Flair in terms of sales.

-=Mike

Instead of finding copies of this thing at Best Buy last night, I found a billion copies of Armageddon instead.

DAMN YOU, KLIQ! DAMN YOU!

(Not sure how this was his fault, but a bandwagon is a bandwagon...)

I go into Best Buy today to buy this disc and get told by the man patrolling the DVD aisle (best job ever) that they don't carry the Monday Night DVD.

Despite the commercial on Monday Night advertising that Best Buy would be carrying it.

rrar.

You can get it online for 19.99 with free shipping and you'll get it in 2-3 days, too - bestbuy.com or circuitcity.com - check it out. :)

I didn't love everything that happened in WWF and WCW at the time, but both shows had a more enjoyable feel to me then, than we have right now. I loved the shots they took back and forth, I loved seeing guys jump between the two groups, and everything else.

To me, it was just a much better time to be a fan, even with some of the crap that we saw take place.

Agreed.

When somebody jumped ship it was a big deal. When they took shots back and forth at each other it was interesting. Competition brought out the best.

We NEED another big time wrestling promotion with primetime TV. PLEASE! :)

Guest Dynamite Kido
Yes, Vince was kept on his toes, but it was a terrible time to be a wrestler. The managements were more concerned with each other and certain politicians (Nash, for one) really got a hell of a lot of power as a result of the lack of oversight.

People who were friends of guys like Hogan and Nash got tremendous pushes while guys like Benoit and Guerrero were treated like crap (I can still remember the "Free Chris Benoit!" sigs in the newsgroups back then.)

I mean, it was fun to be a viewer, and at least guys had another boss to work for if they pissed someone off at their old place, but the new boss was same as the old boss so it didn't really matter.

The whole war period was a really unhappy time on both sides.

My ass, EVERYONE was making big money then.

They didn't blow anything with what they released. What is there, is outstanding.

I do wish they gave me more, but whatever. For what we know though they might have plans for more discs with stuff from the Monday night wars on them. If this one makes a lot of money that is.

I'm just angry that it wasn't eight discs - the WWE just can't do ANYTHING right.

<_<

If this product moves more than the WWE expects (which it is doing, so far), what's stopping them from putting a second volume out? This isn't the end-all, be-all of the Monday Night Wars; the rivalry lasted on a weekly basis for over FIVE YEARS and simply cannot be summed up in one (or even three) disc/s.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen
...That review's more slanted than the DVD.

Now THAT is a funny quote.

It's true though.

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes
...That review's more slanted than the DVD.

Now THAT is a funny quote.

It's true though.

It's Damn True.

I thought it was a pretty good review, its always nice to see a review from a different perspective...usually I end up seeing the same old tape/dvd review just written a lil differently by about a hundred different writers.

I also liked the arguement about the Flair-Bisch situation. I had never really considered the idea of Eric booking that event to be totally perfect for Flair.

Good food for thought here, something so often lacking in IWC reviews.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen
I thought it was a pretty good review, its always nice to see a review from a different perspective...usually I end up seeing the same old tape/dvd review just written a lil differently by about a hundred different writers.

I also liked the arguement about the Flair-Bisch situation. I had never really considered the idea of Eric booking that event to be totally perfect for Flair.

It's like Fox News, though:

You cannot hope to gain a position to expose the unfair slant of someone else... by being unfairly slanted in the other direction.

The one thing I agree with that review is that they should have name dropped Vince Russo as someone who helped them direct edgier storylines that helped them get the ratings lead. But other than that, I just skimmed through the review since it read like someone gave this guy an assignment to argue against the dvd while the rest of the IWC argues for it.

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes

A review is a review, what makes it different from others? that the guy likes other people than Scott Keith?

And I thought the review was bad myself. The fact he didn't really rate the extras (Jim Cornette's bit BAD? Come the fuck on, that was great) or the matches bugs me.

"Kind of like how the WWE failed to create new stars and got terrible in the early 90s and kind of like how the WWE failed to create new stars when they were hot in 98-2000 and are paying for it now?"

From 1998-2000 they created a ton of stars. 2000-2002 is a different story.

Guest MikeSC

Sorry, but the guy was just horrid. Terrible review.

They didn't mention Vince Russo? Well, boo-friggin'-hoo. He was just a friggin' writer. The ONLY person who has EVER said Russo was instrumental to WWF's success was...Vince Russo. They didn't mention Chris Kreski either --- and his run as head writer was siginifcantly better in almost every regard.

And how dare Benoit mention that he didn't think much of Russo? God knows smarks would know better than A GUY WHO WAS THERE about how it was. If Chris says he didn't want Russo around anymore --- can you honestly claim he DID?

They didn't mention the Austin/Pillman gun angle? Geez, does he want the WWF to go over EVERY SINGLE angle EVER that took place in that era? Heck, they didn't mention Goldust and his impact was probably greater.

Interviewing Bischoff in front of a Titantron shows bias? No, it shows that Eric WORKS FOR THE WWE. Eric didn't look bad AT ALL in that disc.

Eric made it so Rey could work in America? ECW took the FIRST risk --- and Eric was busy trying to piss on tradition by unmasking almost all of the luchadores (heck, how could ANYBODY take an unmasked Psichosis seriously?)

And Cornette's commentary was bad? Hardly. It was friggin' gold.

-=Mike

Guest Mosaicv2
When you watch the extras, let me know if Flair's return is unedited and includes the "ABUSE OF POWER" rant at Bischoff. 

Dames

It does include the entire ending where Flair said "Abuse of power, I'm already fired...fire me, I'm already fired!".

It starts right when all of the Horsemen are in the ring and Arn starts talking about each one of them.

oh man... that sucks :P

Guest Real F'n Show

went to pick it up today, but Best Buy was sold out, so I picked up the Foley DVD instead....