TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Anya

First image from Mortal Kombat Deception!

My guess is replace. We know the default roster, or are just one or two characters away from knowing it, and it appears Kano isn't in the game. He could be hidden, but with a replacement already there him being hidden would be kinda lame.

It's weird though...they already had a Kano replacement(Jarek). Why another?

I'm wondering if the Liu Kang thing is actually just something in Konquest mode. The idea of a ghost of Liu being playale is pretty weird, but like his spirit talking to you in Konquest and teaching you moves or whatever makes perfect sense.

Perhaps Fatalities would be disabled while fighting Kang, if in fact you can. However, Quan Chi & Shang Tsung would be capable of 'killing' a ghost, for want of a better term.

Exorcising, maybe.

UYI

Why would it be any different? Scorpion is a ghost, too.

Liu probably won't be like Scorpion though. Scorpion is like a person reborn with a hellspawned demon body. Liu as a spirit may not have a phsyical body at all.

Since this is basically the OAO MK thread...

I saw MK: Annihilation. Oh man, does it suck. It's so bad it is hilarious at points.

For example:

Lui Kang and Kitana travel in a prototype of Mr. Garrison's IT. Now, they could have traveled through a portal made by Raiden, but they needed to get Lui and Kitana in a tight space together so they could hug.

Man, Talisa and Robin have such DYNAMITE chemistry. :P

My other favorite bad part? This line: "Do not underestimate the power of the human spirit," delivered by Shinnok. I laughed off and on for about 10 straight minutes after that.

They actually tried to make Animailities a plot point, by the way. It actually amounted to nothing in the grand scheme of things, though. The earth warriors went out of their way to get Nightwolf's help, but he just threw an ax into Lui's chest that made him have hallucinations and disappeared for the rest of the movie. Thanks a lot.

Sheeva never actually gets to have a real fight with anyone.

Jade actually made it in, and is wicked hot.

Shao Kahn is normal height and spends most of the movie w/o his latex skull mask. He's more evil looking than Brian Glynn, fortunately, but of course he hams it up like a cartoon villian ("In 6 days you will all die!...In 6 days you will all bow to me!" Make up your mind, dude.)

Are all Lin Kui ninjas in the same family named the same? After Subbie says that Lui killed his brother, but doesn't introduce himself, Kitana refers to him as Sub Zero, but he never said that was his name.

Both brothers use the name Sub-Zero. That goes for the games too.

The Sub brothers are 5th generation Lin Kuei, but it never says if the entire family are all called Sub-Zero or if it's just something the brothers use. It's also unclear if the younger brother had a name of his own, or no name at all, and took his older brother's name after his death or if they were both given the name Sub-Zero and used it at the same time.

The actors for Kahn and Sindel have both appeared on Buffy.....that rules.

My favorite bad moment: When Liu throws one of the Baraka clones off the cage and into the pit of fire if you look closely you can see the guy falling into the flames is not actually a Baraka at all. It's Rain! They just reused the footage from when Kahn knocked Rain into it. It's really obvious and hilarious if you look for it.

I mark out so much for the Stryker and Kabal reference. Too bad they(and Quan Chi) didn't make the final cut.

Shinnok is REALLY weird in it. He looks and acts NOTHING like the real one. Entirely different story and appearance. Him being evil and an Elder God is like the only thing they have in common. I actually like the way he looks in the movie more than the games though.

MKA is cool. It's really funny and never gets old. I've seen it a million times and it's still fun to watch. It follows the mythos about as well as the first too.

It's also unclear if the younger brother had a name of his own, or no name at all, and took his older brother's name after his death or if they were both given the name Sub-Zero and used it at the same time.

Yeah, but how the hell would Kitana know, anyway?

The actors for Kahn and Sindel have both appeared on Buffy.....that rules.

*shrugs* Means nothing to me. Sindel was mighty hot (better dead and brainwashed, though), and Kahn loses some menace when you can see his face and when his mask sucks. I've seen a realistic looking skull-mask used in the MKII print ads and so forth. Why not use that?

Don't really like Buffy. I'll never forgive Whedon for Alien: Resurrection.

Although I'm glad they realized having Kahn walk around his digs in the mask would look stupid, any other time it should have been on. And he shouldn't have been so short.

My favorite bad moment: When Liu throws one of the Baraka clones off the cage and into the pit of fire if you look closely you can see the guy falling into the flames is not actually a Baraka at all. It's Rain! They just reused the footage from when Kahn knocked Rain into it. It's really obvious and hilarious if you look for it.

Ha! I probably would have noticed that if the tape hadn't been screwed up at that point. It was really grainy and flickery at that point for a few minutes, until a little after Sheeva bought the farm.

I mark out so much for the Stryker and Kabal reference. Too bad they(and Quan Chi) didn't make the final cut.

I never liked Stryker, and I hated Kabal from when my cousins would use him all the freakin' time until I learned to whoop their asses good. So hearing both of them died made me happy--shame I didn't see it.

Shinnok is REALLY weird in it. He looks and acts NOTHING like the real one. Entirely different story and appearance. Him being evil and an Elder God is like the only thing they have in common. I actually like the way he looks in the movie more than the games though.

Agreed. Gotta love how he turns into a flat image, folds up, and blinks out of existence. *I*

However, when they first showed Kahn with him maskless, I had no idea who the hell either of them were. Kahn didn't speak much in that scene or really indicate who he was too much, so I thought it could have been some one from Noob's clan.

MKA is cool. It's really funny and never gets old. I've seen it a million times and it's still fun to watch. It follows the mythos about as well as the first too.

Nah. MK, the first movie, was actually rather good. Basically, they took the story of the first MK game, crammed Kitana and a few other MKII characters into it (mainly to set up MKA I think), had a great cast, some good fight scenes and was rather well shot and directed. However, the CGI effects in it were lousy, and it had a horrible soundtrack. The same director is doing Aliens vs. Predator, so he'd damn sure better do well with that one. He did do Resident Evil, though...

MKA has a horrible soundtrack too, but it doesn't have as good fight scenes (the repetitive slow-motion wire tricks, Sub Zero's Shining Wizard-ish attack on Scorp, etc). The writing, etc, are soooo bad. Since they kinda already did MKI and II with the first movie, basically it covers the entire MKIII story arc, even including the Trilogy characters. Surprisingly, Johnny Cage didn't rise from the dead, however just every other person who Kahn and his squads killed since the merging started are restored to life. Hm.

Rayden goes from Christopher Lambert to a Sting look-alike. Ha!

Oh, and the CGI effects...HAHAHAHA!!! What's with that gigantic CG beast that pops out out of that statue/whatever, gets beaten up by Jax, then retreats into a little whole. Hooboy.

Maybe Kitana just assumed it since he was a blue ninja who could freeze people. Or maybe she knew him previously since she knew his older brother.

Yeah, I know what you mean about not knowing who Kahn and Shinnok are in the throne room scene. It's especially bad for Shinnok. It was even worse back when it first came out because MK4 had just been released and few knew who he was in the games.

I didn't say it was as good....just that it follows the MK storyline as well as the first. Neither are perfect, but MKDA does an okay job of following the MK3 story.

That CGI monster is funny! The shot of Jax like pounding on it is great.

The new pics at Gamespot show a Prison stage where old school characters can be seen locked up. Jade, Drahmin, Jarek and Fujin in particular. That seems to confirms a report that the story is based on the Dragon King kidnapping everyone.

So...that explains why the usual suspects like Cage and Sonya are out and the roster is made up of lesser seen characters like Nightwolf and Sindel. All the old heroes are in jail. That's pretty cool and interesting.....

Funny story, the other day while I was working (i work for Gamecrazy), I was going through a list in which people had "wishlisted" a game. I look on the list and one of the names was "Sonja Blade". I laughed and said "your shitting me". I called the number and it was disconeted, so I pulled up the account. This is what I got

Sonja Blade

123 way drive

and also a birthdate, license number, and when it expired.

Turns out Sonja had wishlisted a lot of items and has made a few purchases also.

:D

I've read an article on the new mortal kombat is a mag, forget which one through. its going to have a mini games in it also, I've heard Mortal Kombat Chess being one of them.

MKA was pure shit, I don't even know where to begin on it, just thinking about it makes my blood boil since me, my dad, and my cousin went to go see it opening night because I was psyched by it since I loved the first one so much. If I knew how much it sucked balls, I wouldn't have saw it, well at least up until the Liu Kang / Smoke fight, that was my favorite part of the movie. Its like the Hogan / Warrior rematch, they took everything that was good about the first time and complete shitted on part two.

They actually tried to make Animailities a plot point

Here I was hoping Liu Kang would turn into a dragon very similar to the one in the game and here I got a fat midget dragon with chickensized wings.

:lol: I never noticed that, that's fucking hilarious.

I was only young when the original MK movie was released. Myself and all my friends were obsessed with Mortal Kombat, and it was not a rare occurance to see me leaping about my living room to the movie theme of Mortal Kombat.

Mighty catchy.

UYI

The MK tv series was way better than the movies. Anybody watch it?

I doubt it was better than the first MK movie.

I remember that Haku powerbomb somebody onto concrete once, though. I believe WCW would have their wrestlers guest star now and then on it.

MK I kicked ass. Came out my freshman year in college. Myself and a bunch of other guys from the football team all headed out (it came out during 2-a-days) and saw it opening night.

MK II SUCKED ass. I was pissed that they killed off Cage like a bitch about 5 minutes into the movie.

The show was fun. Good little low budget action show made memorable to me by killing off the heroes when it got cancelled.

The MK tv series was way better than the movies. Anybody watch it?

I assume you're talking about the live action show, Conquest. I saw a couple, but did not like it. I did not like it's story or how it dealt with the MK mythos.

Now who remembers MK Defendors of the Realm, the animated show?

I assume you're talking about the live action show, Conquest. I saw a couple, but did not like it. I did not like it's story or how it dealt with the MK mythos.

Why not? You've gotta admit the fights were better at least.

Because the cool thing about the movie was seeing the MK story play out, which Conquest did not do very well. It's not the official story and the made up stuff wasn't very cool to begin with.

I don't know how close it was to the game (I don't really care), but I thought the characters were more interesting than the movie. Also the battles were a lot more intense. The first couple of eps weren't that great, but it got better and better as it went on. I'm surprised you didn't give it more of a chance.

Sorry UYI, I didn't realize how old this folder was. My mistake.

I gave it more than one chance. I watched it a few times over the course of it.

The animated version sucked ass.

I liked the animated version a lot. Whenever Kano or someone mentioned Sonya got 2 of her partners killed, was the second partner supposed to be Johnny Cage or something? He never got mentioned in the show once.

I gave it more than one chance. I watched it a few times over the course of it.

Not good enough. You should have watched it a bunch of times back to back so you could follow the story arcs. It's too bad they never have shown re-runs. It had high ratings I think.