TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DMann2003

The Passion of the Christ

Well who doesn't know the story of Christ? Even the people that I know in "real life" that don't believe in God or anything know the story of the man.

I mean, did any of you guys go "Christ? What in the world is this flick about, who is this Christ fellow, what did he do?" when you heard of this film?

And rest assured...they are not the people seeing this movie. I'd say less than 5% of human beings alive don't know who Christ is, and even less than that would dare see this film. You're grasping.

Exactly, I'd say that almost everyone that goes to see this movie knows the story of Christ. It's not some big secret, you don't need to be told everything in this film.

Guest SP-1
And rest assured...they are not the people seeing this movie. I'd say less than 5% of human beings alive don't know who Christ is, and even less than that would dare see this film. You're grasping.

Eh, maybe in the West. Worldwide . . . the number is far greater. Sadly. But those are people groups and areas that probably won't ever show the film anyway.

It's too well known for it to be a problem of any kind for the audience intended. And if someone wants to know, I'd rather they read the gospels and find out that way than have the movie maybe go off track with His entire story.

[

The thing is, is that an understanding of how violent the ordeal was is needed these days, I think. People tend to just have a bloodless image of an otherwise okay Jesus strapped to a cross in their minds.

Not to mention the most common myth, that jesus was caucasian.... ;)

I think the typical image of Jesus comes from the Shrud of Turin. Long hair, beard, thin. The actor in this movie at least has tanned complexion, and doesn't look British.

So, Satan is a women...

Honestly...who's surprised?

Wait...what if that means Satan is actually God's first wife and he banished her to hell so he could get with the hot new secretary. That would mean people have been worshipping a dirty low down son of a bitch.

Nah, God's a woman too...you know how well women get along with each other, heh :D

A woman in Wichita, Kan., collapsed during the film's final, bloody crucifixion scene. While people were helping the woman, identified as 57-year-old Peggy Law Scott, the lights were turned on and moviegoers were ushered out. She later died at a hospital. No cause of death was immediately given.

In New York, famous for its love of raucous debate, members of the New Black Panther Party gathered outside a West Side theater, saying the film's biggest problem is obvious: Jesus wasn't white.

"We call this the greatest story never told," said Divine Allah, a youth minister in the group's Trenton, N.J., chapter, citing a biblical verse that describes Jesus with wooly hair and brown skin

"We call this the greatest story never told," said Divine Allah, a youth minister in the group's Trenton, N.J., chapter, citing a biblical verse that describes Jesus with wooly hair and brown skin

Man, that ain't in the Bible. His name's Divine Allah, he sounds like a 5 percenter to me. They're crazy.

One of my favourite Oz character names was Supreme Allah. Anyone who has the audacity to name himself "Supreme God" is pretty bad-ass.

Oh, and personally, all this religious debate on the TV board is starting to feel a bit uncomfortable (though it may be potentially entertaining).

I think the typical image of Jesus comes from the Shrud of Turin. Long hair, beard, thin. The actor in this movie at least has tanned complexion, and doesn't look British.

I think "White Jesus" image that remained in the world's head came about from the Renaissance paintings. The European painters of a "Manifest Destiny" age would never conceptualize what they believed to be greatest being that ever lived to be anything but white.

Exactly, I'd say that almost everyone that goes to see this movie knows the story of Christ. It's not some big secret, you don't need to be told everything in this film.

But that's my whole point. Gibson made a movie that only a relatively narrow audience can appreciate and understand the significance of. Movie reviewers critiquing it as a movie have to point that out as a major flaw, and they're correct to do so.

As a spiritual experience, I'm sure it's very powerful. As a movie, however, it's very flawed.

Guest The Satanic Angel

Turned down an offer from my mom to go see it with her.

Might see it when it comes out to rent.. if someone else rents it and we're over at the time. That's the only way my fiance got me to see Freddy vs Jason.

Morgan Freeman is God.

Well I'm going to see it with some extremely religous girls. My religion fluctuates between "believing" and "not believing". I know that's wrong but I can't help it. Sometimes something that will happen that will make me think there is a god and at other times I'll think that there is no way there can be a god.

But I'll still go and see the movie. Religion(of all kinds) interests me a lot.

Guest thebigjig

A friend of mine, who before watching the film was somewhat religious, was turned off of christianity as a whole after the film with the simple explanation, that he doesnt want to worship a God who would put his son up to that kind of torture...

no opinion here

Guest El Satanico
Well I'm going to see it with some extremely religous girls. My religion fluctuates between "believing" and "not believing". I know that's wrong but I can't help it. Sometimes something that will happen that will make me think there is a god and at other times I'll think that there is no way there can be a god.

So are you using Religion to get some? If that's your angle...bravo.

A friend of mine, who before watching the film was somewhat religious, was turned off of christianity as a whole after the film with the simple explanation, that he doesnt want to worship a God who would put his son up to that kind of torture...

no opinion here

I find that retarded, but good in the long run.

So are you using Religion to get some? If that's your angle...bravo.

*shifty eyes*

Of course not...........

But that's my whole point. Gibson made a movie that only a relatively narrow audience can appreciate and understand the significance of. Movie reviewers critiquing it as a movie have to point that out as a major flaw, and they're correct to do so.

As a spiritual experience, I'm sure it's very powerful. As a movie, however, it's very flawed.

I don't know your issue. I've never met anyone of ANY religion that doesn't know the story of Christ. Just like I've never met anyone who doesn't understand other such things that have been around for so many years and is talked about in just about every culture and any generation.

A huge backstory isn't needed with a subject like the story of Christ, it just isn't. If you don't know at least the very basics of Christ, then you must have been living under a rock for the past, oh, thousands of years. ;)

I think the typical image of Jesus comes from the Shrud of Turin. Long hair, beard, thin.  The actor in this movie at least has tanned complexion, and doesn't look British.

I think "White Jesus" image that remained in the world's head came about from the Renaissance paintings. The European painters of a "Manifest Destiny" age would never conceptualize what they believed to be greatest being that ever lived to be anything but white.

That makes sense. However didn't the shrud first appear around that time? Maybe they used the features in the picture, and than made him look white.

no opinion here

It's an interesting point. Someone like SP who know the bible can help. Why was Christ's death so brutal. The flogging, the carrying of the cross, being mocked, and ridiculed, things being thrown at him, and being crufixied which is one of the worse means of thed death? Was it so mankind can truly feel the pain, the son of God went through to save them?

I'm going to hell for this.

Judging by the previews, looks like we can kiss the Muta Scale goodbye. Jesus makes Muta look like he got a scrap on the nose.

I'm going to hell for this.

Judging by the previews, looks like we can kiss the Muta Scale goodbye. Jesus makes Muta look like he got a scrap on the nose.

After the scourging at the pillar scene, the Muta scale is moot. I really enjoyed this movie, and I'm not religious in the least bit. After going to Catholic School from Kindergarten through Eighth Grade, I had my fill of religion. I went to see this movie yesterday with two Mormons, and I actually teared up during a couple of the scenes. The movie was absolutely brutal, and I was actually speechless for a couple minutes afterwards. The Muta Scale is gone and dead.

EDIT: I'm going to hell, too...during the Crucifixion scene, I was looking at Mary Magdalene (Belucci) and I was like, "Damn...Mary Magdalene has some DSLs".

no opinion here

It's an interesting point. Someone like SP who know the bible can help. Why was Christ's death so brutal. The flogging, the carrying of the cross, being mocked, and ridiculed, things being thrown at him, and being crufixied which is one of the worse means of thed death? Was it so mankind can truly feel the pain, the son of God went through to save them?

Absolutely. While everyone (for the most part) knows the story of Jesus, how many can truthfully say they realized how brutal it was. I was born and raised Catholic and still try to go to church every so often. In the prayers its covered this way:

"He suffered, died and was buried."

That's it. Not much more. Around Easter they get into details a little more, such as placing the crown of thorns and people throwing stuff at him and such. Even the old movies of Jesus show very little of his suffering. This is the first time its really been addressed visually. Sure you can read about it somewhere I'm sure, but until you see it, its really hard to grasp just how much he suffered. I won't be seeing the movie until the crowds die down (some literally) in a couple of weeks but I have always really enjoyed religeous movies. This is quite different from those, but I'm sure I'll appreciate it nonetheless.

Guest SP-1

Even the movie points out: Jesus knew it was going to happen. The Father didn't force him into it. Jesus made a choice to do this for us. Willingly. And He knew it was going to happen from the very beginning. The Prophets knew it was going to have to happen. Gibson begins the film with a quote from the Prophet Isaiah, who lives hundreds of years before Christ was born. One of the minor prophets even foretold the birthplace of Christ.

Not to mention: Jesus was as much God as He was man. He's God Incarnate. Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are the same (note to whomever saw it with Mormons: they don't teach this exactly so don't be confused if you hear different from them). One entity. Same source. That's why St. Patrick used the Three-Leaf clover when witnessing; because the three distinct leaf parts had the same stem source. An apt description of God and how He displays those three facets of His person.

He knew everything that was happening. He knew Judas was going to betray Him and told John it was going to happen. He hinted at it during His ministry. God didn't force his kid to die. God Himself chose to become a man (Mary conceived by the Holy Spirit), and to spill his sinless, perfect blood and die to fulfill a Law that he had set down through the sacrificial system. And then rose from the dead to show His power over death in a display and promise to all who would come after and look to Him.

He knew it was going to happen. He ordained it to happen. He chose to go through it. Because He loves us and wanted to handle the problem of sin Himself so that we had the clear option to choose Him and be with Him available.