TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DMann2003

The Passion of the Christ

Guest MikeSC
Ebert seemed genuinely moved by the film. I can't wait to see this.

wow. He hasn't been moved since the last Triple Burger he had...Which was 4 seconds ago. Whoops, he just ate another.

I'm getting an image of Michael Moore and Ebert at an all-you-can-eat buffet.

-=Mike

..."Where's the busboy? Has anybody seen the busboy?"

What happened to Jesus the last 12 hours of his life was brutal and horffic. It shouldn't be sugarcoated, too show him on the cross for 10 seconds, and than the next scene rising up to the Heaven's in a white robe and halo.

This movie is about Christ's death. Not the resurection, or what happened afteward. So yes good for mankind did come out of the his death. That doesn't mean the death was any less violent.

Guest JMA
What happened to Jesus the last 12 hours of his life was brutal and horffic. It shouldn't be sugarcoated, too show him on the cross for 10 seconds, and than the next scene rising up to the Heaven's in a white robe and halo.

This movie is about Christ's death. Not the resurection, or what happened afteward. So yes good for mankind did come out of the his death. That doesn't mean the death was any less violent.

Well said, Vern.

Guest Banders Kennany

Upon the announcement of it, I thought it would be a total niche movie, but the controversy and media hypejob has really been seeming to move numbers with it.

Guest Choken One

What are the estemates for it's Box Office? Could it actually break the ALL TIME record?

I dont think it can because Movies like LOTR, Star Wars and Titanic were helped by REPEAT business.

I am not sure if POTC would garner REPEAT viewings...

It had more pre-sales than any other movie. Probably because of church groups buying out theaters for the whole church to see it together. It may not get many repeat viewers, though. Im seeing it this weekend. It MAY break the first weekend record, but starting on Wednesday really hurts the legitimacy, and rightfully so, of that.

Not that it really matters, but here is the average predictions for this coming weekend from BoxOfficeMojo. It's pretty much a lock that this film will at least set the record for the opening weekend of this month.

1 THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST $81.9

2 50 FIRST DATES $12.2

3 TWISTED $9.3

4 DIRTY DANCING: HAVANA NIGHTS $7.5

5 CONFESSIONS OF A TEENAGE DRAMA QUEEN $6.7

6 CLUB DREAD $5.4

7 MIRACLE $4.9

8 EUROTRIP $4.1

9 WELCOME TO MOOSEPORT $3.9

10 BARBERSHOP 2: BACK IN BUSINESS $3.7

http://www.kake.com/home/headlines/653662.html

A woman just suffered a heart attack while watching the movie--she later died. Well, it IS supposed to be powerful, but jeez.

There has been a lot of talk about how a lot of older folks--who haven't been out to see a movies in decades--who are making an exception for this film. I wonder if she was one of them.

In today's Calgary Herald, one of the critics didn't like it because it was "long and humourless".

Take that for what you will.

CNN just had a rabbi, a Catholic priest, and a pastor at a roundtable talking about the movie.

Priest and rabbi found it offensive because of the portrayal of Pilate as a weak-kneed leader doing what the Jewish crowd demanded of him, while the pastor absolutely loved it.

I have to toss my lot in with this review, which slams it for not providing any background on why any of these events is happening. Either you know your bible or you're lost. Movies shouldn't do that.

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent

I like how Catholics are panning this movie because it was too violent. And how religion and all that shit is about love. But do these fuck ups realise, that our "savior" was brutally massacred in a very unloving way? Are we supposed to change history to accomodate the sensitive?

Idiots.

I like how Catholics are panning this movie because it was too violent. And how religion and all that shit is about love. But do these fuck ups realise, that our "savior" was brutally massacred in a very unloving way? Are we supposed to change history to accomodate the sensitive?

Idiots.

I agree with you 100%. I don't understand what they expected from this, the death of Christ and the hours leading up to it were absolutely horrible.

I also don't understand the ideas about the film being anti-semitic.

I could list film after film where a group of people simply looked bad, because the film told the truth about certain events. There are even films out there that makes Americans look like blood-thirsty monsters, the most recent of which was The Last Samurai. I didn't hear everyone complaining about stuff like that, so I just don't get all of this going on over this film.

Say it with me people, IT'S A MOVIE!

Well its arguable that the Jews were responsible for hsi death. They think that it ruins their legacy and makes them look bad as people. But if the Jews were in fact to blame for killing Jesus, which seems to eb the cause, then there is nothing they can do about it.

You don't see German's debating Shindler's List, do you? No, because the holocaust happened...and nothing is going to change that.

Thats what the Jews need to realise.

I saw the movie this afternoon.

The violence is intense, almost unlike any violence I've ever seen in a movie. There isn't a ton of it, and it isn't extreme. There are some gruesome scenes, but it's mostly just an intense buildup.

The movie is powerful, and I almost wound up in tears just from watching the punishment that Jesus went through. It wasn't so much a normal movie, but something i would recommend everyone see nonetheless.

I am catholic, but I haven't been to church in years and I'm not very religious. This movie did nothing to make me change the way I feel in regards to my own life, but it made me realize just how much Jesus went through and how gruesome and horriffic it was. It was truly a great film.

As a Catholic, I always knew Jesus died in a very gruesome manner, so I wouldn't expect anything different from a film about his death. The violence won't startle me at all.

Guest SP-1

I saw it this afternoon and found it to be good for what it was. Excellent even. Fact is, that's what happened and that is as close to seeing it as we're going to get without getting there, really.

As for whomever complained about needing to know your Bible before you go see it, I say that's not a valid complaint. The Bible is easily accessible to pretty much anyone in the United States and the story is known well enough. If someone makes a movie about a specific incident during, say, World War II, you don't get upset because the entire war isn't chronicled up to that point. If you want to know more about it: go read where it's chronicled.

Guest MikeSC
CNN just had a rabbi, a Catholic priest, and a pastor at a roundtable talking about the movie.

Were they in a bar? Sounds almost like the setup to a bad, cliched joke.

I agree with you 100%. I don't understand what they expected from this, the death of Christ and the hours leading up to it were absolutely horrible.

People don't have a grasp about just how brutal his death was. We really can't fathom the things done to Jesus. Dying on a crucifix is not a bloodless way to go.

-=Mike

no, she has her head covered almost the entire time, half the time her face is dirty and i don't think she has a line in the entire movie (and if she does, it's one or two and very not memorable)

Well, nuts to that.

In all seriousness, I don't think i'll be going to see this. I'm not a christian and though i'm slightly interested to see how it comes off I don't think i'll waste my time going to see it.

I'll go. When they drive the nails into his hands I'll say "That's GOTTA hurt!"

I'll whip out my laser pen and put it on Jesus' face.

Well I just got back from it, and I really don't know what to think.

The film was good, the story was told very well, the acting was great and it was very violent. However, I found myself bored at times. Maybe it is because I know the story, but I found myself looking at my phone for the time every now and then. Also, since there was SO much hype for the movie, it didn't live up the hype.

One thing I don't get; was that the Devil? The really pale guy who kept on showing up at odd times, was it the Devil? I really have no idea.

And the end of the movie, when they show Jesus leaving the tomb, I said to my Sister "So, are they going to make a sequel?" She gave me a nasty look.

Guest El Satanico

So, Satan is a women...

Honestly...who's surprised?

Wait...what if that means Satan is actually God's first wife and he banished her to hell so he could get with the hot new secretary. That would mean people have been worshipping a dirty low down son of a bitch.

I just got sent the following from BoxOfficeMojo.

Mel Gibson's 'The Passion of the Christ' could reach up to $20 million

today, distributor Newmarket and Box Office Mojo each project.  The $20

million includes $3 million from private screenings on Monday and Tuesday

for church groups.

'The Passion' will handily go down as the biggest non-summer, non-holiday

Wednesday gross ever, and it could rank No. 5 among all Wednesday bows.

The full story:

http://boxofficemojo.com/articles/news/?id=040225potc.htm

As for whomever complained about needing to know your Bible before you go see it, I say that's not a valid complaint. The Bible is easily accessible to pretty much anyone in the United States and the story is known well enough. If someone makes a movie about a specific incident during, say, World War II, you don't get upset because the entire war isn't chronicled up to that point. If you want to know more about it: go read where it's chronicled.

Disagree. The difference is that, even though you don't know everything about what that went on leading up to the start of the movie, you're introduced to the characters that you're going to be watching pretty well. For example, you knew who Oskar Schindler was and what he was about early on in Schindler's List, and that framed his actions for the rest of the movie. That's not what happens in this movie. It is basically a two-hour brutal beating of a man who you don't really know...unless you know the story of Christ beforehand.