TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MarvinisaLunatic

New Iron Chef America series on Food TV

For the 1 person out there who might care..

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - There will be a new man in Kitchen Stadium later this year.

Alton Brown, host of "Good Eats" on the Food Network, will serve as a commentator for a series of "Iron Chef America" specials on the cable channel beginning in April, according to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

Brown, a food historian and scientist as well as a chef, will fill the expert commentator role played by Dr. Yukio Hatori on the Japanese original, a dubbed version of which is a cult favorite on the Food Network.

"Iron Chef America" is scheduled to debut April 23 and will feature Iron Chefs Hiroyuki Sakai and Masaharu Morimoto facing off against Food Network chefs like Wolfgang Puck and Mario Batali. The specials are taping this week in Los Angeles.

UPN tried to import the "Iron Chef" format a couple years ago with a set of specials featuring William Shatner as host. They fared poorly, although the Food Network occasionally airs repeats of the two shows.

Good Eats (hosted by Alton Brown) is my favorite show and I think he'll do well. I still watch the reruns of Iron Chef as it is (although they've cut back on them). Im glad they realized that involving Shatner was a stupid idea. Now the question I've got to wonder is whether or not they'll let Bobby Flay give it another go or not.

I certainly hope not..

*doesn't jump up and down on his cutting board/table in the excitement*

Well Alton Brown wear colorful costumes like the past hosts?  I wonder who the guest judges will be?

uh..

Alton isn't going to be the Chairman Kaga character. He's playing the role of Dr. Yukio Hatori who was the main commentator and always wore a nice black suit.

I can't see Alton wearing the suit, but I cant see him wearing one of his many wierd looking shirts either..

altonphoto_o.jpg

Im sure if they carry over any of the Iron Chefs from the original show that they will have their same colorful chef outfits though.

And I just realized that Alton Brown had an episode of Good Eats that was a parody of Iron Chef "Scrap Iron Chef" where he made and cooked home-made bacon in a junkyard using a bunch of stuff in the junkyard.

Guest HHH123007

Can't wait to check it out....I'm a huge Iron Chef fan, I've even got the 24 hour marathon they ran years ago on tape.

The Shatner version sucked nuts.

Guest HHH123007
Ok so Brown would be the reporter not the host. But who will take a bite out of the bell pepper at the begining of the show?

Gary Coleman?

Taste-test judges for the shows will include "NYPD Blue" actor Dennis Franz, "Trading Spaces" host Paige Davis, actor Vincent Pastore (formerly of "The Sopranos") and Bon Appetit editor Barbara Fairchild.

That could be an interesting panel of judges.

Guest El Satanico

Without Shatner I could care less.

There's no way the American version will capture the spirit of the original.

Who cares about a cooking competition without a overly dramatic master of ceramony hosting overly serious gladiator style cook offs with badly dubbed Asian celebrities.

Without Shatner I could care less.

There's no way the American version will capture the spirit of the original.

Who cares about a cooking competition without a overly dramatic master of ceramony hosting overly serious gladiator style cook offs with badly dubbed Asian celebrities.

uh..

I do.

If anything this is going to capture the "spirit" of the original Japanese version more because its actually being done for the food network fan who watches the original. The first American version on UPN was nothing more than an attempt to ride the popularity of the Japanese show and there wasn't even a real emphasis on the cooking/food aspect as there was in the original.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

The original Iron Chef is the greatest show in the history of television.

Alton Brown is surely the best "host" of the food network shows, seconded by Rachel Ray.

Hey maybe Rachel Ray could be in a match, because she could bring the quickness ;)

Good Eats (hosted by Alton Brown) is my favorite show and I think he'll do well. I still watch the reruns of Iron Chef as it is (although they've cut back on them). Im glad they realized that involving Shatner was a stupid idea. Now the question I've got to wonder is whether or not they'll let Bobby Flay give it another go or not.

I certainly hope not..

*doesn't jump up and down on his cutting board/table in the excitement*

Shatner as the chairman wasn't a bad thing. Unless you note that the show was called Iron Chef USA and realized that Shatner's Canadian. Things that hurt the UPN show were:

- Intentionally cheezy commentary that tried to capture the unintentional comedy of the voiceovers

- Canned heat

- Too many B-list celeb judges

- The lack of "name" chefs, which was likely due to UPN not being able to use Food Network chefs. This probably would have given the show a bit more credibility.

- Too many dishes. The chefs were REQUIRED to make 5 dishes, and while it's not impossible for them to do that, I think that it hampers their creativity.

Shatner didn't have too much to do besides act eccentric. Which he's pretty good at, to be honest.

Anyways, if this new Iron Chef helps get Bobby Rivers and "Top 5" the hell off of my TV, then I'm behind it 200%...

Alton Brown is surely the best "host" of the food network shows, seconded by Rachel Ray.

Hey maybe Rachel Ray could be in a match, because she could bring the quickness ;)

She also brings a pretty nice ass. Not that I notice these things...

Yea but I wasn't going to go there.

Lemme tell you, there was one ep when she was swimming around in the tropics, like florida or mexico or hawaii?

Please. She makes me want to cop a 30 minute feel

(rimshot)

You know what would be funny, what if got Kathy Griffith and the person everybody confuses her for to be judges on the same episode. Think of the insanity of "I was on News Radio not Suddenly Susan DAMN IT" jokes.

Im sure everyones seen Rachael Ray's coughFHMcough pics?

And I've started seeing the ads for the show already. I can't wait until April..

Hot damn!! No ass shots, but I'll take what I can get. And it almost makes me want to buy FHM. Almost.

Alton Brown? Ugh. I seem to be the only one here who's not a fan.

I'm sure he'll pitch a fit if the competitors dare to use anything other than "kosher" salt.....

Mark Dacascos - The new Chairman "Kaga"

He was in "The Crow: Stairway to Heaven" and he knows martial arts.

And more importantly, most people won't know who the hell he is, although apparently you and I do...

well...

I didn't before I read his site, although I guess I do recognize him from a few of his roles but yeah, hes pretty much an unknown, which is probably a good thing.

One month later, some of the shows have aired. Has anyone else caught it?

So far the only real flaws I've seen is a total lack of an audience, as well as only four episodes made (so far).

Is there going to be 'regular' Iron Chef America episodes, non-international episodes?

Guest The Notorious CRD
One month later, some of the shows have aired.  Has anyone else caught it?

I caught the first 2 episodes tonight. To say I was disappointed would be an understatement. The show itself is fine, but the outcomes really bugged me. Especially Bobby Flay defeating Hiroyuki Sakai, (highlight to read) but that's probably more my own personal bias kicking in. I smell a fix, but I'm sure it's all in an effort to get the American Iron Chefs over.

God, I need a life. :huh: