TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anglesault

The "Losing Streak" Gimmick

Guest Anglesault

As you all know, for no reason whatsoever, the WWE decided to bury Matt Hardy and stick him with the oh so successful "losing streak" gimmick (that may or may not have ended on a show 14 people watch)

Now, obviously the real reason for all the losses is that the WWE wants to bury Matt Hardy.

However, just say, in a hypothetical situation, you are Brian Gerwitz (Or whatever is name is). A wrestler walks in to your office and asks you to put down your Cyclops action figure for a moment and talk to him.

He wants to know why you are running a losing streak gimmick for Matt Hardy, and what you hope to accomplish with it. He asks you how on earth this does something positive for his career.

What is your answer?

Guest Brian

You'd say that Hardy's good enough on the stick to salvage the losses, and that he'll eventually get them all back. It's the bets BS story I could come up with.

I think it's being done by creative as an excuse to say that they're doing something with Hardy without actually having to put any thought or effort into it.

Brian's excuse sounds like a good one.

Edit: It could lead to Matt getting a "bodyguard" and/or stable down the line that'll help him cheat to win. I dunno.

Guest Anglesault

He then responds by saying that there was no reason to give him so many losses that his mic work had to salvage.

He grabs you "The Uncanny X-Men" number one and threatens to rip it if you don't give him a straight answer.

You know what really funny about it is that Hardy didn't know that he was doing the Losing Streak thing untill he heard JR and King talk about it on RAW. So that means that Hardy is so use to jobbing he didn't know it was his new gimmick and that the writers don't even have the brains to tell a wrestler his angle.

Guest Brian

Or that losing and winning doesn't really matter to him? I mean, he's not going anywhere and he's doing what he loves and some good mic time. Why should he care if he wins and loses unless they're going to get serious with him.

Guest Fook

I have just the thing to help us solve this quandary:

*Puts on WWE logic hat*

If a face loses all the time, it'll make the fans want to see him win. That way, when he finally does, it's a big moment and the fans will go nuts.

If a heel loses all the time, it'll make the fans happy because they don't want to see him win anyways.

I think it's like, he has a big ego and thinks he is good, yet he never wins, so that makes him obnoxious..so everyone will boo him.

Ok, if you want my honest answer.

I was talking with some of my people in the E, and they've been telling me that something big is in the works for Hardy. It's no coincidence that both he and Hurricane and Rosie got squashed on the same night. That's right, Matt Hardy and Hurricane are getting married together (inside term for being put with together for a feud).

The plan thus far is to have Hurricane go on a bit of a lucky win-streak after a series of disappointing losses paralleling Hardys. Hardy wants to know what Hurricanes secret is and Hurricane says that it's his Hurrijuice. Hardy asks for some but Hurricane says that it only works for superheros and that since Matt wasn't one, it wouldn't work on him. Hardy says that Version 1 is a superhero but Hurricane laughs in his face.

The next week on RAW, Matt Hardy shows up in his homemade tights and asks to be a Superhero-in-training. Hurricane denies him since he's already training Rosie. Later-on that night Rosie is found knocked out in the bathroom. The week after that has Hardy asking Hurricane if he now can be trained to be a Superhero since Rosie is hurt, but Hurricane informs Hardy that Rosie wasn't that hurt and will continue his training. Hardys losing streak even effects him outside the ring!

This leads to Hardy trying to get rid of Rosie week-in and week-out until he realizes that he's been going after the wrong guy; that he should be going after the Hurricane! So Hardy gives up his quest to become a superhero and begins anew in his quest to become a supervillain (he assumes the Hurrijuice will have the same effect on a Supervillain as it would a Superhero). So Hardy becomes *PROFESSOR* DOOM!

"I'm going to teach you a lesson Hurricane... IN PAIN!"

Guest Anglesault

That would rule.

Seriously though, I'm waiting for someone like Zsasz to reply to this thread. he usually can find a way to defend what the company does. (Not an insult or a flame, I'd just like to see what kind of spin a real, true Pro-WWE guy puts on this)

Did I mention that a critical match and plot point would be a Hurrijuice-on-a-pole match between The Hurricane and Professor Doom? Doom (with a PhD in Mattitude... and DOOM...) naturally wins and becomes DOOMSTORM; a merging of The Hurricane and Prof. Doom. Matt Hardy finally wins a match and his losing streak is over and as DOOMSTORM he will take over RAW and then will move on to Smackdown and then... THE WORLD!

"My god, what have I done Rosie? The Hurrijuice was meant for good; and now, it's in the hands of Evil! I can't stop it alone..."

Other key plot points:

- Hurricane drinks his SUPER Hurrijuice (AKA Formula H) but can't manage to defeat DOOMSTORM.

- Rosie upgrades to full SuperHero Status and takes on DOOMSTORM. He, unfortunately, fails.

- A new Superhero debuts... he's there for one reason and one reason only, to stop DOOMSTORM. He shrugs off the help of Hurricane and SuperRosie - he's a loner for sure. His name, KID OUTRAGEOUS. DOOMSTORM laughs at the thought but soon realizes that there is something special about KID OUTRAGEOUS and in their blow-off we find out that this new Superhero is JEFF HARDY! However, after all of his effort, even Matt Hardys brother cannot stop DOOMSTORM. He realizes that he needs the combined effort of Hurricane and SuperRosie to help take down his evil brother. He also inlists the help of a new female friend, Lady Insane T.A., otherwise known as LITA!

You could probably make it into a neat angle if a face went on a losing streak, then snapped, turned heel, and cheated to win all the time, but I doubt that'll happen.

Chris Jericho...WCW...late 97-early 98

got him over huge

but the WWE does losing streaks for no reason

I miss WCW!!!

The Fiery Foursome of Hurricane, SuperRosie, KID OUTRAGEOUS, and Lady Insane T.A. are confident that they can beat DOOMSTORM, and they get very, very close to doing so. However, that ingenius DOOMSTORM knew they day would come where the numbers-game would be too much, so he created his own team of Evil Villains.

SR Sinister (Stevie Richards)

Hide (John Heidenreich)

and...

MIGHTY MOLLY! (Now christened "Princess Doom")

"The balance between Good and Evil has just tilted in my favour Hurricane. Newtons 5th Law, for every action, THERE IS DOOM!!!"

Guest Anglesault

I'm sorry, this feud can't work unless you have one guy on one of the teams who thinks the whole situation is the most absurd thing ever.

Ok, if I were Gerwitz, I'd justify it by saying:

"Come on, it's a good gimmick. After all, it did wonders for Christian."

or

"Get out of my face Hardy, or I'll tell Triple H you're not being a team player."

I think it is the writers being lazy and not wanting to make people mad, "trust us Matt, you lose for six months and, then you'll go on a HUGE winning streak".

Then six months from now when Matt comes back to him, he says "Well, we'd push you but no one seems to care anymore."

Guest wrestlingbs
I have just the thing to help us solve this quandary:

*Puts on WWE logic hat*

If a face loses all the time, it'll make the fans want to see him win. That way, when he finally does, it's a big moment and the fans will go nuts.

If a heel loses all the time, it'll make the fans happy because they don't want to see him win anyways.

The problem with that being that the fans don't know if Hardy's a heel or a face. I mean, come on, the guy get's cheered, yet he acts like a heel, yet he really hasn't done anything heelish (or anything, for that matter).

The problem with that being that the fans don't know if Hardy's a heel or a face. I mean, come on, the guy get's cheered, yet he acts like a heel, yet he really hasn't done anything heelish (or anything, for that matter).

And they had the perfect time to push him as a heel after he dumped Lita but, they fucked it up.

Guest Choken One

Exactly...I really thought that Matt would start something with Uber-Face Jericho right there (Jericho defending his girl's best friend's honor) right away and lead to Jericho getting betrayed by X leading Jericho to bringing Edge to Raw at WMXX.

Instead Matt Jobs like crazy...at least Lita is getting the same treatment.

I'm sorry, this feud can't work unless you have one guy on one of the teams who thinks the whole situation is the most absurd thing ever.

Christian, obviously. But that happens right at the point in when its completely overdone. Where you have, like, a dozen wrestlers involved and it gets its own promo videos and montages. But that doesn't happen yet; I still have to introduce 2 more characters and take the saga in a completely different direction.

Ok, just to freshen everyone up:

The Freedom 4ce:

Hurricane - the fearless leader (real life name: Gregory Helms)

KID OUTRAGEOUS - the loner; he is Hurricanes equal, but realizes his role in the group (real name: Jeff Hardy).

SuperRosie - Hurricanes follower; the muscle of the group (real name: Rosie)

Lady Insane T.A. - the female warrior of the group; she follows KID OUTRAGEOUS (played by Lita). They both know this Comic Book stuff is lame, but they want to save Matt Hardy who has been consumed by it; so they have to play his game to break him free..

vs.

The Sons of DOOM:

DOOMSTORM - the evil leader, formerly Professor Doom, but after drinking the Hurrijuice in hopes of breaking his losing streak, became merged with the Superhuman powers of the Hurricane and became DOOMSTORM. (Real life name: Unknown... it's Matt Hardy)

SR Sinister: The lacky (Real name: Stevie Richards). Also tired of losing, he follows DOOMSTORM in hopes of one day getting to drink the Hurrijuice which DOOMSTORM posses.

Hide: The Muscle (Real Name: John Heidenreich). Conflicted about who he is, he turns to DOOMSTORM for guidance. DOOMSTORM tells him that evil is the only way to go.

Princess Doom: Formerly "Mighty Molly", Hurricanes former helper, and recently shaved bald, she has fallen for DOOMSTORM who doesn't care about her looks, but rather, the champion she is. (Real name: Molly Holly)

------------

With the Sons of DOOM, DOOMSTORM is able to soundly defeat the Freedom 4ce. When it seems that all hope is lost, an unlikely figure comes to RAW to lend a hand.

*Scene opens with The Freedom 4ce licking their wounds and about to give up*

KID OUTRAGEOUS: Listen guys, I really hate to say it but, they're stronger than us. We've been getting our ass kicked for weeks and we can't find any one else on the roster to help us out.

SuperRosie: Yeah, and DOOMSTORM has the Hurrijuice and as long as he has that he'll never lose.

Hurricane: What are you all trying to say? That we should just GIVE UP?! That evil has triumphed over good! No way! Never!

Lady Insane T.A.: Listen Hurricane, we all want to save Matt... I mean, DOOMSTORM, but the more we lose to him the deeper he goes into this character he's created. The more he believes its true. I think it's best that we just let this play it's course, he'll snap out of it eventually.

*An unknown figure enters the room in a trench coat*

Unknown Figure: I'm not so shua ... about that.

*Everyones attention turns to the Unknown figure*

Lady Insane T.A.: Who are you?

UF: That's... not... impo-tant

SuperRosie: Hey, you're Funaki! From Smackdown.

Hurricane: Yeah, I recognize that voice from anywhere.

SuperRosie: Smackudown Numba 1 Announca!

*Funaki takes off trench coat and reveals a lab coat under it*

Funaki: Please, I have something important to say about Matt Hardy. He will not stop, he will take over RAW and then Smackdown and then... the world. You must stop him down before it's too late.

Lady Insane T.A.: Oh come on, that will never happen. World Domination? You've got to be kidding me.

Funaki: Please, I am serious.

KID OUTRAGEOUS: Funaki, Matt is just one man - just a wrestler, that's impossible.. he won't take over the world.

Funaki: He will.... he... he has... in my time...

KID OUTRAGEOUS: What?

JR: WHAT?

*Commercial*

Jesus Christ Rico, can't you see that they're building him up for something big?!?! God you're an idiot. What a stupid, stupid, idiot you are. What stupid things you say...

Now, lemme get back to my story about Matt Hardy being an evil villain who drinks Hurrijuice and how Funaki will affect the storyline in a profound way..