TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Choken One

TSM CLASSIC MATCH OF THE DAY-3/25

Guest Choken One

Today's Classic Match of the day...

Macho Man Randy Savage Vs Hulk Hogan.

This was the major blowoff to the first MAJOR yearlong storyline in WWF history. This was WWF at it's epic peak. Supported by one of the greatest angles ever, it was the SOLE match WMV was built around. The angle is quite famous as Hogan and Savage were once best friends who dubbed themselves...The Mega-Powers. Savage made his "shocking" heel turn on Hogan, whom suspected was having an affair with Liz but never actually said that(as it was still a Kid friendly demo) but the angle was pretty heavy for the time.

The Match and the PPV drew an incredible buyrate and was the ultimate blowoff to such an magnificant angle.

The Match

WWF Title Match

Hulk Hogan Vs Macho Man Randy Savage

April 2nd, 1989

Trump Plaza

Atlantic City, NJ

The Result

Hulk Hogan beat Randy Savage at 17:54

When did they decide to run this match as the main event of WM5?

It seems like they could have turned Savage earlier, don't you think? Or maybe not, judging by how over this main event was...

I've always liked the match, and the heat is incredible...but once Savage goes up to the top for the elbow drop I always find myself rolling my eyes...

Guest Choken One

They had the whole thing planed right around WM4 actually...as soon as they learned DiBiase wouldn't go over...they knew that Hogan/Savage was the match for WM5.

The angle, I'm sure was always to turn savage, not sure how early Liz was figured into the equation...

And if DiBiase HAD gone over at WM4...I'm sure Savage would have won it at SummerSlam anyways...so Hogan/Savage was like Goldberg/Brock..set in stone very early.

They had the whole thing planed right around WM4 actually...as soon as they learned DiBiase wouldn't go over...they knew that Hogan/Savage was the match for WM5.

The angle, I'm sure was always to turn savage, not sure how early Liz was figured into the equation...

And if DiBiase HAD gone over at WM4...I'm sure Savage would have won it at SummerSlam anyways...so Hogan/Savage was like Goldberg/Brock..set in stone very early.

I don't get why Dibiase was originally planned to get the title at WM4...wasn't it unheard of at the time for the heel to win the last match at a PPV?

As far as the specific match goes, Savage is awesome as the heel. You gotta love him using Liz to shield himself from Hogan. :headbang:

Guest Choken One

Dibiase was a monster heel and it was the best way to put the title on him without jobbing Hogan...yea it was unheard of but it likely wouldn't have as shocking as HHH's was because WM only existed for 3 years...unlike when HHH won...it was 15 years straight of the face winning the big one...

Guest Choken One

That's Awesome. I hope you don't mind if I steal that from now on...

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes

Not as great as the previous classic matches, but still is possible one of Hogans best matches EVER (in the united states at least. I never saw his matches in Japan).

the storyline was set for nearly a year, with the "love triangle" angle of the jealous Savage growing angrier at Hogan as the weeks and months went by until it reached a boiling point at the Main Event.

The only problem (Which isn't a big one) was the match wasn't the blowoff. Their final (big) meeting on national TV was the February 1990 Main Event.

My favourite part of the match...

Hogan does something mildy against the rules - Jesse loses it.

Savage blatently cheats - "No, that's smart wrestling!"

I miss hypocritical announcers.

No kidding. Tazz is a pretty good announcer, but nobody can touch Heenan or Ventura in their prime.

Guest Choken One

can we not bring other shit to the thread please? I want this to be about the classic match in question. thanks.

One of the best angles in WWE history, to this day. Hell probably right behind Bret/Austin, Austin/Vince and, maybe, Bret/Owen for best feud in WWE history.

Match is a good blowoff too, and possibly one of Hogan's best. And this is, most likely, my favorite single announcing job ever in the WWE. Jesse's anti-Hogan rants are so entertaining it's priceless.

Great match and the definition of a Mania blowoff(not technically but it drew the most money of any Mania up till 1998 I think).

Fantastic match. **** easily. The second-best WM match ever to that point, and Hogan's best WM match (yes, better than the Warrior match). I have to admit, I hate the finish now (the kickout WITH AUTHORITY at 1 1/2 was ridiculous) but aside from that, it was just a tremendously well-booked and well-paced match by the two of the three biggest stars in the industry at that point, with great commentary to boot (Jesse saying, "Ooh, there's a Jesse The Body move right there!" as Savage choked Hogan out with his wrist tape was CLASSIC). And, of course, the 16-month-long slow-burn angle, starting from when Hogan saved Savage from Honky and the Harts on SNME, was one of the best long-term angles they've ever done, right up there with the Hogan-Orndorff angle. What more could you ask for?

Damn, I had a whole big post about this match but my computer crashed. So I'll just say I love Savage cheating like hell, hate Hogan's typical no-selling ending, and dislike some of the sloppiness of the work. Announcing is great. **3/4

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes
Damn, I had a whole big post about this match but my computer crashed. So I'll just say I love Savage cheating like hell, hate Hogan's typical no-selling ending, and dislike some of the sloppiness of the work. Announcing is great. **3/4

Who didn't predict this post?

I won't complain because the quote in the sig is hilarious :lol:

What we really need is Ray to say hey and give it *1/2

:huh:

Explain.

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes

:huh:

Explain.

I don't know, someone usually comments on low ratings given, so I stepped up but realized **3/4 isn't too bad. I think I'd give it between ***1/2-****, but haven't seen the show in a long time.

I expected worse than **3/4 though

Guest FrigidSoul

I'll be posting this match for those who want to download it soon enough at my board. I think it was the best match put out at the time since Savage/Steamboat at WM III(which will also be made available sooner or later for download)

Just watched the match, and while, in my opinion, it's hardly a good match wrestling wise, it is hugely entertaining. Old school Savage is just awesome and as previously noted, the commentating is fantastic. For overall entertainment and wrestling, it's an easy 3.5 stars, mostly for the entertainment.

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes

I don't get why Dibiase was originally planned to get the title at WM4...wasn't it unheard of at the time for the heel to win the last match at a PPV?

As far as the specific match goes, Savage is awesome as the heel. You gotta love him using Liz to shield himself from Hogan. :headbang:

Didn't notice this post.

Andre The Giant was the winner of the Survivor Series 1987 Main Event. And he's a heel.

Guest Dynamite Kido
Andre The Giant was the winner of the Survivor Series 1987 Main Event. And he's a heel.

Also, not as important as Wrestlemania......

Weird to think about...if Savage had gone over HTM for the title, they probably still would have done the Hulk/Andre double DQ...meaning that Dibiase in the final match would have beaten some babyface...

Steamboat? Probably not.

Bam Bam Bigelow? Maybe!