TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Youth N Asia

Family Guy primed for a 2005 return

From Tv.zap2it.com - 2004-03-31st

’Family Guy’ Rises from the Dead (Monday, March 29 02:36 PM)

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - Fueled by DVD sales and strong ratings for its reruns, the animated series "Family Guy" is going back into production -- more than two years after the last original episode aired. FOX, which had the series originally, has an option to air the episodes first; the Cartoon Network, the show’s current home, will also air them. The new episodes -- at least 22 will be produced -- will be ready by spring 2005.

"I’m just incredibly excited that we’re back in business on ’Family Guy,’" creator Seth MacFarlane says in a statement. "Now all those crazy kids who’ve been hounding me to bring the show back can stop bothering me and move onto more serious matters -- like saving ’Coupling.’"

The resurrection of "Family Guy," which was never a hit on FOX and last aired an original episode in February 2002, owes a lot to fan reaction in the show’s afterlife. The DVD compilation of seasons 1 and 2 of the show was the top-selling TV title on DVD last year; that and the more recent third-season DVD set have sold more than 2 million copies combined. It has also become a hit in Cartoon Network’s "Adult Swim" late-night lineup, often beating CBS’ "Late Show" and NBC’s "Tonight Show" among young males.

"This is incredibly exciting for everyone at Fox," says Gary Newman, president of 20th Century Fox TV, which produces the series. "The overwhelming response to ’Family Guy’ this past year is a real tribute to Seth’s vision and talent. ... We’re thrilled for Seth, we’re thrilled for his fans, and to be honest we’re thrilled for our teenage kids who threatened to emancipate themselves if we didn’t figure out a way to bring the show back."

"Family Guy" bounced around the FOX schedule numerous times in its three-year run. In its final season, airing opposite "Friends" and "Survivor" on Thursday nights, it averaged 4.7 million viewers. (The current occupant of that spot for FOX, "Tru Calling," brings in 4.4 million viewers.)

Guest JMA

You have to wonder how stupid the higher-ups at FOX feel about cancelling the show in the first place.

They don't care.

They are heartless bastards.

I'm sure they care about the large amount of money they probably would have made if they kept it on/didn't keep screwing with it

Cancelling it may have been the best thing for the show, it will now return bigger than ever. The new episodes will have higher rating than if the show was never taken off the air in the first place. Hate FOX all you want but they made a good business move by taking it off while it was cold and bringing back when it is hot.

I also get the feeling that FOX won't fuck with it's spot constantly when it comes back.

For at least four weeks. Then it's off to Friday night.

Cancelling it may have been the best thing for the show, it will now return bigger than ever. The new episodes will have higher rating than if the show was never taken off the air in the first place. Hate FOX all you want but they made a good business move by taking it off while it was cold and bringing back when it is hot.

Ain't that the truth.

Fox also did pretty well with the DVD sales, as well.

Guest Vitamin X

That's the reason it got low ratings, because it got shuffled around and pre-empted at least every other week...

Guest El Satanico

A majority of the writers are back. Besides, Seth got new writers before season 3, so it's not like the writers dictate anything.

Other than Seth and Mila none of the voice actors have a reason to pass on it. Seth and Mila aren't exactly big stars and they loved working on it, so there's no reason to believe they won't.

Guest Banders Kennany

That show is still on Adult Swim on Sundays (?) I think.

A majority of the writers are back. Besides, Seth got new writers before season 3, so it's not like the writers dictate anything.

Writers WRITE the show. Of course they dictate things. I don't know how you could say that.

Guest JMA

It's going to be cancelled.

Guest El Satanico

Writers WRITE the show. Of course they dictate things. I don't know how you could say that.

Say what? I don't see where I said the show doesn't need writers.

Seth the creator brought in new writers for season three and the show didn't miss a step. It shows that a specific writing staff isn't important and that Seth is the real brains behind the entire show regardless who he brings in as writing staff.

Cartoon Network usually only buys shows for 4 (52) seasons.

The reasons all the other Adult swim shows (except space ghost) don't have to deal with this problem is that they release 3-5 episodes every six months to a year.

Thus the comparison: if Home Movies were 15 minutes long, produced by Williams Street, and took three years to make one season of shows (Harvey Birdman), it'd still be supported by CN.

Apparently the 52 show thing is a CN standard, so Home Movies was only initially contracted for 52 shows, and CN is just not picking them up for a new contract, so it's not like they're being yanked. But I really wish they'd go with this show instead of more Williams Street stuff or fUCKING Baby Blues.

Guest El Satanico

Simpsons hasn't gone down the drain so fuck you "waaaah it's not as great as it once was so it's total crap" people.

Guest wildpegasus

What's the appeal for Family Guy for those who like it? I don't find it the least bit funny. I'm not looking for an arguement; just an explanation.

I'm waiting to see how many cracks Seth throws into the first episode about the whole cancellation thing. FOX usually seems pretty good about letting their own shows crack on the network (Simpsons, etc.) so I imagine Seth will have some leeway. Oughta be pretty good.

I think I enjoy family guy because they will take any subject (violence, racism etc) and make it funny to me, without me feeling sick for laughing at it. Great balance of humour and shock value. Also, the fight sequences are superbly choreographed.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I laughed at the Kool Aid man leaping through the wall, and Peter trying to nurse Stewie. Aside from that, I'm not feeling it, or I haven't seen it. I thought the show was hilarious at first, but the more I saw it...meh. It's better than Home Movies, though. That show makes me nervous.