TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest D. Lucretia

Promo - An Uncomfortable Meeting

Guest D. Lucretia

It's a cool, brisk day on the shores of southern California. The beach is deserted for miles. Today's forecast? Storms rolling in with a likelihood of heavy rain downpours. The wind kicks up, shaking the palm trees along the sand. People rush along the boardwalk, hiding in the various stores and restaurants. Two people, one male and one female, run into a small bar and cram into a booth. The female speaks first.

"I'm sorry. I didn't know you were going to sit here. I can find somewhere else if you'd like."

"No, that's okay. The rain is starting to come down. Have a seat... I'm Austin. Austin Sly. What's your name?"

"I'm Janelle."

"Well, Janelle, have a seat. Seeing as neither of us seem to be able to leave for a while how about I buy you a drink?"

"Okay. Something light though... it's still early."

Austin gets up and walks to the bar to place the drink order. He returns to the table with two drinks in hand.

"Here you go Janelle. I just got you an iced tea. So, if you don't mind me asking, what do you do for a living?"

"I'm just a student right now."

"Oh... where at?"

"UCLA. I'm going to graduate this year with a bachelor’s degree in communication's art."

"Cool cool."

"What about you? What do you do?"

The question strikes a nerve with Austin, as he becomes noticeably tense. He stumbles over his words.

"I'm... or, I was... still am... becoming again..."

"Yes?"

"I'm a wrestler. But, it's really more of a job just to support my real passion. Music. The plan from the beginning has always been to hang tough with the whole wrestling career until I can get myself signed to a major label and start producing my own music. But..."

"But what?"

"But... the federation I worked for, ICW, closed up its doors years ago after it was tore apart by the death of an owner. I've been living off of what little pension I had for the past two years. Pulling an odd job here and there... but... I'm going to return to the ring soon. I've been signed to a contract with the SWF and I'm set to make my return soon. As much..."

He pauses.

"As much as I hate putting my life on the line night after night... I must admit that I love the feeling."

"You love the feeling of entertaining the people?" Janelle asks inquisitively.

"No... I don't care about the fans. They've always been the least of my concern. I love the feeling of hurting others."

Janelle shifts in her seat uncomfortably and glances outside to see if the rain has let up.

"There's no need for alarm... I won’t hurt you. In the ring though... I could do it all. I taught myself all I know from simply watching others. I would study matches all night, night after night for weeks on end until I knew each man's pattern. I would memorize move after move, all the while teaching myself. It consumed my life. I was driven to be the best. It was my outlet in life... my passion... even more so than music. Up until the day that Markus Cirillo took it all away from me. His heroin addiction is what drove ICW to its knees and single handedly destroyed it."

"Calm down. You're causing a scene."

"I'm sorry Janelle."

He puts his hand on her cheek, only to get it slapped away.

"Don't touch me! I hardly know you!"

"Be cool baby."

He reaches for his arm, but Janelle throws her drink in his face. She then slams her glass down on the table and storms out of the bar into the rain. Austin wipes the tea from his face, smirking at the scene he has just created. He leaves some extra money on the table to pay for the broken glass, stands up, and walks out coolly.

An excellent promo to open up with, mate. As I said in chat, it provides us with some background on your character and provides a glimpse of his personality. Throwing in some history by ICW and referencing my character's past was a good idea, there is obviously going to be some heat between our wrestlers. Starting your career off with a feud will help in the long run.

On the technical sides of things, you may want to add a little more description in there. It was a little hard to gauge the tone of the conversation everynow and then, so keep that in mind. Also, add who is talking before or after or between the dialogue, I lost track of who was speaking a couple times. Other than that, a strong start and you have a lot of potential... let's see how much you can bring up to the playing field. :)

WE HAVE A HEEL!

Excellent, we always need more heels. Nice opening promo too - even if your character is a little Jeff Jarrett-esque (wanting to make it big in music but also a wrestler?). Like the tie-in with Crow too.

Like others have said, you need to make it a little clearer who is speaking each time, but the dialogue was good and Sly comes across well as someone who thinks everyone should be interested in him and doesn't really care what others think.

WE HAVE A HEEL!

Excellent, we always need more heels.

I concur.

Anyway...looks good so far from where I'm sitting. I'm interested in seeing how this character works and develops...and hopefully you'll have success here, because I'm seeing potential.

if this guy wrestles barefoot...I'm calling gimmick infringement

Hey Rando... Jimmy Snuka wants a word with you.

i know i know... it was only a joke... but the guitar and the so-cal slacker attitude just made me go "huhhh?"

that reminds me...i *was* going to start dropping at least one leg lariat into each of my matches as a little shout-out to WC once he has to take his leave.