TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CanadianChris

The 2004 Stanley Cup Playoffs thread

I bet you that most of those Lightning "fans" never heard anyone from Calgary...

bandwagoners.

I'm sure it is no worse than it is here in Calgary (and surrounding area). All these idiots with car flags yet they can't name anyone but Iginla, Gelinas, and Kiprusoff. They go on to say "been supporting since 89! wooo!". They aren't real fans, oh no, because when the season starts they won't know. Where were all these fans during the regular season? WHERE? WHERE?

I hate bandwagon fans so much.

I still agree with your post, though.

See the difference between Calgary and Tampa, is that there are fans in Calgary that followed them throughout the whole season, and near playoffs, and even in the first round, there were many of fans. Until they defeated Detroit, I do think that it became more of a cup crazy sensation.

Tampa Bay I don't think they even cared about hockey until recently.

The bandwagoners in Cowtown are driving me nuts. People who hated hockey up until this are now claiming they've always been fans. PISSES ME OFF.

The bandwagoners in Cowtown are driving me nuts. People who hated hockey up until this are now claiming they've always been fans. PISSES ME OFF.

Just remember though - there are 28 other cites who wouldn't mind having this problem...

The Flames win the 1st game 4-1 good stuff. I hope they can keep it up in the next game, but my lord I hope Tampa steps it up as well despite the team I was rooting for winning I didnt think that was a good game at all. C'mon guys this is the finals.

Guest cobainwasmurdered
<-- Predicts Tampa in 5.

You're on. Flames in 6.

If Tampa wins I stop calling you Agnes, If the Flames win you change your Screen-name to Agnes.

Bah. Very well. I was hoping for the Flames to surprise me and win the thing, but now I guess I must root against them...

Flames won...Agnes.

3 more wins to go.

<-- Predicts Tampa in 5.

You're on. Flames in 6.

If Tampa wins I stop calling you Agnes, If the Flames win you change your Screen-name to Agnes.

Bah. Very well. I was hoping for the Flames to surprise me and win the thing, but now I guess I must root against them...

Flames won...Agnes.

3 more wins to go.

I figured the Flames would win game one, since they got more rest and Tampa probably under estamated them. I'm not worried at all.

I'm more pissed with all the Edmontonians waving Flames flags.

Excuse me? WHAT THE FUCK? We aren't Flames fans you moronic bunch of idiots. Yes, cheer them, but don't go all lovey-dovey over them.

Make me sick... Same with the rest of this God damned country. A Canadian team got in. Yes, it is great, but it does not mean that the Calgary Flames are now the Canadian Flames.

If so, get rid of the other five teams that hail here...

Guest cobainwasmurdered

Bah, they should be allowed to go nutsd all they want. Canada's making a comeback as the "IT" country for hockey so why not?

What's worse bandwagons jumpers or people who instead of enjoying the fun waste time bitch about teh jumpers?

Hah, I went on a rant like that maybe two pages ago. And you defended the bandwagoners. For shame, Flik.

I defended people saying "wee! We've got a Canadian team in. Wee, I'll cheer them on because they went through hell to get there (15 fucking years to even make the playoffs)."

I did not defend what the fuck is going on now. It's a God damn joke. Everywhere I turn there's a person going, "wow! I'm so cheering on the Calgary Flames!" "Oh, since God wishes us to give our best to our enemy; I wish the Flames to win the Stanley Cup" ...Calgary this, Calgary that... Fuck, I can't go anywhere without hearing something about the Calgary ... oh excuse me, let me refer to it as what everyone's been saying. The Canadian Flames is the team everyone should be cheering on...

It's ok to cheer on another team, like I was with the Calgary Flames vs. Ottawa Senators Finals Match up. You aren't really invested in it, but you want to see it just because you think it would entertain you. It's not that you've sold yourself out, it's because you think that at least the team you are cheering on the playoffs gives you a reason to watch it without feeling like shit that your team didn't make it.

However, whoring yourself out to a team (a.k.a. bandwagoning) where you drop every semblance of pride you had for your former team, like everyone is doing in Canada is inexcusable. Yes, cheer them on, but don't drop your teams colors and its pride just because another team from your country/province (state)/town makes the damn finals. Ugh...

However, whoring yourself out to a team (a.k.a. bandwagoning) where you drop every semblance of pride you had for your former team, like everyone is doing in Canada is inexcusable. Yes, cheer them on, but don't drop your teams colors and its pride just because another team from your country/province (state)/town makes the damn finals. Ugh...

Just cause Im rooting for the Flames to win, dosent mean I have forgotten my favorite team. My walls are still Blue and White and Im still wearing my Maple Leaf Jersey all the time. I'll never like another team as much as I love the Leafs, but hey when your team is put out you got to have another team that you would perfer to win the Cup, that team for me is The Flames.

Just cause Im rooting for the Flames to win, dosent mean I have forgotten my favorite team. My walls are still Blue and White and Im still wearing my Maple Leaf Jersey all the time. I'll never like another team as much as I love the Leafs, but hey when your team is put out you got to have another team that you would perfer to win the Cup, that team for me is The Flames.

Again, I'll say for the record, I don't mind people who cheer Calgary on for the reason you stated. Its why I did.

I'm just pissed with all these people who are whoring themselves out as Calgary Flames fans. Like, hello? Do not douse your car with Flames logos when you never were a Flames fan. I have literially seen everyone, everywhere around here selling themselves out as a true red Flames fan. It's just stupid.

It cracks me up how much it seems the Canadians are having an "us-vs.-them" mentality to this Cup ... like it's Canada vs. the US, not the Flames vs. the Lightning. (nevermind the fact that I'm pretty sure both teams are predominantly Canadian in origin).

Personally, if I was an Oilers fan (for example) I'd be rooting for TB ... I'd rather see a team that I'm apathetic about win the Cup than the team that I've been raised to root against. Like, I'm a Flyers-hater, and would be rooting against them regardless of who they were playing, and regardless of where that team was from. Yes, I'd be rooting for a non-American team over the Flyers.

It cracks me up how much it seems the Canadians are having an "us-vs.-them" mentality to this Cup ... like it's Canada vs. the US, not the Flames vs. the Lightning. (nevermind the fact that I'm pretty sure both teams are predominantly Canadian in origin).

It's very weird, and this is coming from a Canadian. As much as it pains me to admit it, other Canadians seem to have an inferiority complex when it comes to America. It's pathetic, especially in hockey where Canada won both Olympic gold medal games. Hello, there you go, we (Canada) already won, get over it.

It's becoming more pronounced in Canadian culture, you can see it in things like beer commercials (like the "Why Don't I Drink American Beer" one, or the one where the Canadian astronaut hits the American astronaut in the face with a puck). Not to get sidetracked off of sports here, but trashing Americans isn't being Canadian at all. I'm pretty sure if I wore a Tampa jersey to a pub tomorrow and cheered on the Flames, I would get called an American scumbag or something. And this is in a city where last month a Flames fan got the shit beaten out of him for wearing a Flames jersey. It's just sad.

Guest cobainwasmurdered

Bah. Having grown up watching American tv and reading American magazines, I've seen Canada get slammed just as many times as America has been.

It's ironic to have Americans not understand an "us vs. them" mentality (that's not a shot against anyone here, I just find it hilarious.).

And those beer commericals? It's taking shots at a competitor. Bud sells ok in Canada and Molson wants to change that so they put out ultra-patriotic ads.

It's national pride. Canada gets slammed for not having a good military, being too liberal, being wishy-washy, etc.

But we play the best damn game of hockey.

Guest cobainwasmurdered

Bah. Having grown up watching American tv and reading American magazines, I've seen Canada get slammed just as many times as America has been.

It's ironic to have Americans not understand an "us vs. them" mentality (that's not a shot against anyone here, I just find it hilarious.).

And those beer commericals? It's taking shots at a competitor. Bud sells ok in Canada and Molson wants to change that so they put out ultra-patriotic ads.

It's national pride. Canada gets slammed for not having a good military, being too liberal, being wishy-washy, etc.

But we play the best damn game of hockey.

Is it true women are celebrating Flames' victories running around topless on the streets of Calgary?

I've been on 17th Ave (the party street, basically) and it is slut city. Woot~!

If it was Toronto, Ottawa or Montreal in the Stanley Cup final, they would not be considered Canada's team, since the fans hate each other so much, that it they would never admit that they are Canada's team. I think many people feel enjoyed that its not a team like Ottawa, Vancouver or Toronto not in the finals.

I feel sorry for any Tampa Bay fan living in Canada who's looking unbiased coverage of the series. Everything's about 'Calgary's Quest For The Cup' and how great it is in Calgary right now. There was nothing like this when Toronto and Ottawa made it to the 3rd round the 2 years before that, and I doubt there would have been if they made it all the way (especially for the Leafs, since there are already enough accusations of bias, splashing their logo all over the coverage would have made things worse).

But yeah, I know when the Sens were in the conference finals last year I was kinda torn. I don't like the Devils and I sort of wanted a Canadian team in there, but I didn't want the Sens to make it to the Finals and win the Cup before the Leafs could because I would have never heard the end of it from all the Sens fans that I know. Calgary's an easier team to root for, anyway, regardless of where they're from, just from the underdog factor. To be fair, though, TSN, SportsNet, and theScore really aren't playing this up as too much of an America vs. Canada thing, at least as far as I've noticed.

Well, it is pretty great up here, with the Flames FINALLY getting the city revved up and ready to party.

All the bandwagon jumpers do kind of irritate me, speaking as someone who's cheered them on through 7 years of nothing. I mean, some of my friends who couldn't have told you who Miikka Kiprusoff is at the start of March are now sporting body stickers, shirts and flags, and cheering in the hallways at school. It's nice, but I know they aren't true fans.

Yes, it is great, but it does not mean that the Calgary Flames are now the Canadian Flames.

Don't give them any ideas...

In another twenty years, will there be any Canadian teams other than Toronto? I mean, my city certainly can't support a team (finacially, not that we don't watch our hockey) and the general feeling across the board is the same.

One thing I like about the Flames

Their classic logo

I may half-assedly pay attention to hockey, but the red&orange flaming C is one of my fav logos in any of the big four.

We have that mentality in life (e.g. war, politics, entertainment, etc) but not in sports, really. There aren't many Americans rooting for the Lightning purely because the Flames are from Canada. Or if the Blue Jays, Expos, or Raptors made the World Series or NBA Finals, people wouldn't root against them purely because they weren't American.

Or if the Blue Jays, Expos, or Raptors made the World Series or NBA Finals, people wouldn't root against them purely because they weren't American.

IIRC, there actually was a bit of that in 92 and 93, when the Jays won the World Series. The national pastime being won by a team not based in the US was a big thing.

Yes, it is great, but it does not mean that the Calgary Flames are now the Canadian Flames.

Don't give them any ideas...

In another twenty years, will there be any Canadian teams other than Toronto? I mean, my city certainly can't support a team (finacially, not that we don't watch our hockey) and the general feeling across the board is the same.

Montreal as well.

If the league takes away Montreal, I will, and almost every single hockey fan that knows about the sport, will possibly go down to find the bastard who's idea to shut down the Habs.