TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CanadianChris

The 2004 Stanley Cup Playoffs thread

One thing I like about the Flames

Their classic logo

I may half-assedly pay attention to hockey, but the red&orange flaming C is one of my fav logos in any of the big four.

Yeah whoever tried to replace the C with a fire-breathing horse was that horse's fire-shooting ass.

Another cool touch is that the A on the alternate captains' sweaters is the old logo of the Atlanta Flames.

Guest cobainwasmurdered

you guys see Grapes with the blue wig?

He's really reaching lately

We sucked last night, just like Tampa sucked on Tuesday.

Let's hope that both teams get their acts together for tomorrow night.

Guest cobainwasmurdered
Pretty good game last night I though. CWM must now know that betting on Calgary was a mistake.

*evil laugh*

*evil laugh*

And the Flames strike back. Bitch.

I was at the game (third row in the corner, a few seats away from Goldberg - don't know if he was mentioned on TV but he did an interview during a commercial break for the crowd. Surprisingly nice guy) and holy crap did Calgary smother Tampa. Just all over them. Fun (and loud) game.

I want a non-one-sided game in this series.

Me too, but as long as the Flames pull it out in the end and gets the win I'm happy. Im betting the next game will be the best in the series with The Flames trying to cripple Tampa with a 3-1 seres lead and Tampa doing everything in there power for that not to happen. I dont think it will be one sided I can almost sence overtime right now.

I was in section 203, somewhere near the top.

Did you stop by the Fanattic stores at all, Tawren? I work there, and I was in the one with the jersey press for most of the night.

I thought about looking through the Fanattics, but they were just swamped and I knew I would end up buying something I didn't need if I went in.

Did you watch either of the away games in the Dome? I went on Thursday. Tons of fun.

Wow, that game was awesome. Easily the best game in the finals so far and one of the best in the playoffs. That was one of the most physical games I have seen in a long time. It amazes me that hockey is so unpopular in the States. Just what is it that American's don't get? Is the game too fast or what?

On a side note, game one was the second highest rated playoff game in CBC history behind only VCR-NYR game 7 in 94. CBC drew close to 3.5 million viewers while the American telecast (was that one on ABC or ESPN?) drew just over a million. Bizarre.

The "it's too fast" argument is the one that I hear the most from people when I suggest that they check out a game. Most complain that they "can't follow the puck."

And it was on ABC, during primetime, which may have helped.

I loved ABC's post-game analysis. Darren Pang talks for about a second before they show a Black Eyed Peas video promoting the NBA finals. I guess there's no reason for them to care about hockey, anyway, with them leaving for NBC.

Was game one on ABC? I thought they only carried 3 through 7 for some reason. Also, part of me wonders if hockey would be more popular if Americans recieved the kind of quality coverage that CBC produces. Watching ESPN (or ABC) coverage just makes hockey look bad and dull. Even the production on TSN and Sportsnet is subpar to CBC. Games on CBC are just miced (?) better and have better camera work and lighting. Analysis isn't always the best of Canadian coverage but their analysis is still far superior to American analysis (apart from J.D.). What the hell was with Dwayne Roloson doing colour for games anyways? That could be part of the problem.

My god, Dwayne Roloson was an embarassment. I had the game on both channels at the same time, and the difference between the coverage was night and day.

Games 1 and 2 were on ESPN2 and ESPN, respectively. The coverage for game 1 started at 7 with "Sportscenter at the Stanley Cup" featuring Melrose, Berman, and Pang. In other words, it was NFL countdown, as Berman did his "hilarious" nicknames while hockey fans nationwide wonder why he has a job. Melrose makes such scouting insights as "Tampa's offense relies heavily on Martin St. Louis" and "Miikka Kiprusoff is a big key for Calgary," while making three different pronunciations of Calgary.

Personally, I wish that I got CBC's coverage. They treat the game as an event. ESPN treats it as just another game. With their move to NBC, I hope that Brian Engblom, Darren Pang, Ray Ferraro and Bill Clement are kept for analysis. CBC's analysis is far superior, but I couldn't really see the problems with it.

I like Gary Thorne, I'm sorry. I know some people get exhausted with him because he treats every goal like a Game 7 overtime Stanley Cup game-winner, but when you're starved for interesting matchups during the regular season on ESPN, he can make Red Wings-Blues, Chapter 5082 seem interesting.

Nah, I didn't. I figured that if I went, I'd end up having to work during the intermissions, and I didn't feel like it.

Talk about a dirty hit. Sheesh.

And was Khabibulin standing on his head in that game or what? Go Tampa!

Talk about a dirty hit. Sheesh.

And was Khabibulin standing on his head in that game or what? Go Tampa!

Dirty?

Ya...

IMO: If it was a Leaf player that did the hit, Neale would say it was clean.

Memo to Daryll Sutter and the rest of the Flames:

Re: Beginning of 1st period and end of 3rd period

Hockey Commandment #7- Thoust who commits STUPID penalties will lose thy playoff game.

Let's go Lightning

Nemo's hit, I can understand why people say it was stupid. However, the two-man advantage was bullshit. Fraser gift-wrapped one for TB, and cost us the game.

As a hockey fan, this might be one of the most difficult things that I've ever done, but I'm about to stick up for Kerry Fraser ...

If he called those penalties, causing a 5-on-3, in the third period, you'd have a right to bitch. If he called those penalties in the second, you might have a right to bitch. But calling them 3 minutes into the game shouldn't have a direct effect on the outcome. Your boys had 57 minutes to recover from it and didn't. Yes, losing a 1-0 game sucks, but to say that Fraser "gift-wrapped" one for Tampa is a joke. If the Flames had been able to put one past Khabibulin, they wouldn't have lost.

Ok, now I feel officially dirty ... how could I ever justify something that Fraser did?!? Time to take a quick shower, wash the filth off my hands.

As a hockey fan, this might be one of the most difficult things that I've ever done, but I'm about to stick up for Kerry Fraser ...

Pardon me while I jab you with this cattle prod a few hundred times.

nl, you've commited the greatest sin known to a hockey fan. You stuck up for Kerry Fraser. The punishment is that you must forever be a fan of either:

A) Buffalo Sabres

B) Pittsburgh Penguins

C) Phoenix Coyotes

or

D) New York Rangers

We, the true hockey fans will vote which sentence it will be. Most likely, you are looking at sentence D though.