TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EdwardKnoxII

Saved By The Bell Questions That You Asked

Ok this is kinda of a spinoff of the of the TV question thread and the SBTB one. So here's the question. Ok I'm a huge fan of Saved By The Bell but, even as a kid there were things about the show that I was always questioning. Of course, these things were about of the charm of the show. So, what things were you also questioning about the show?

Lets see. For one was the gang the only students at the school that Mr. Belding ever talk to, plan school events with, etc? I mean he sure as hell sent alot of time with them and did he ever really spend time with his wife? Guess so she did have baby but, who knows someone else could be the dad.

Was the gang involved in every dance, club, etc?. Some like nothing went on in that school without them.

And how great was Slater at sports. He was on the football team, the wrestling team, AND the basketball team. Which if it was like my school he couldn't be on wrestling and basketball seeing as how both ran at the same time.

What happened with whole Zack and Lisa start dating thing? I mean Screech was ready to kick Zack's ass because of it. So, what happen with them afterwards?

How much time did they send at school? Most of the time we see them at school or the Max. And alot of times they were at the school at all different times of the day. I mean what did their folks think? But, like I said this is all part of the SBTB charm.

But, I cause it's safe to say that the gang ran all of Bayside. So, what were your questions?

Guest Fook

How come the gang were the only "normal" people at Bayside? Everyone else was either a nerd, jock, or valley girl.

Does Bayside have the lowest requirements to be a teacher in the world? I remember one teacher was deaf and another was pretty much blind.

Does Bayside have the lowest requirements to be a teacher in the world?  I remember one teacher was deaf and another was pretty much blind.

Ok the deaf one was Mrs. Simpson and she was on the show mainly in the first season. And I think I remember her being in a few eps of the first season of the New Class.

The blind one with the coke bottle glasses was Mrs. Colepepper (sp?) she was mainly in the Torrie eps.

Guest Askewniverse

What kind of high school lets students eat off campus? I don't know any high school that lets you do that.

What kind of high school lets students eat off campus? I don't know any high school that lets you do that.

:o

WOW! Every high school in my area lets you go out for lunch. You're probably thinking Elementary School.

The only reason I could think it was maybe the Max would be very close to the high school. Like right next door. Or maybe for whatever reason Bayside didn't have a lunchroom (never did show one of the show) so they let the kids eat at the Max.

Guest Black Tiger

It was established that the school board owned The Max, so that could be a factor.

WOW! Every high school in my area lets you go out for lunch. You're probably thinking Elementary School.

Well here they never let you go out of lunch at the high schools or you would get in trouble for skipping class or something. But, I did have some friends that went to high school in Cali. and FL. and they said that they got to go off campus for lunch.

It was established that the school board owned The Max, so that could be a factor.

Yeah that's right. That was said in the ep were they were going to tear down The Max right? So I guess when Max left he sold it to the school.

Speaking of which whatever happened to Max? He was on for the first season and then he was gone but, they still called it The Max. So, what did you do, were did he go?

A long time ago my old high school let students eat off campus, untill the students abused the privlage. A trial run a few years later didn't last very long.

Well here they never let you go out of lunch at the high schools or you would get in trouble for skipping class or something. But, I did have some friends that went to high school in Cali. and FL. and they said that they got to go off campus for lunch.

Oh man, that sucks for you guys. I went out to lunch every single day. And we got free soda at Wendy's.

Guest Askewniverse

Well here they never let you go out of lunch at the high schools or you would get in trouble for skipping class or something.

Yeah, that's how it was for me. A bunch of people received in-school suspension for going out during lunch.

The only reason I could think it was maybe the Max would be very close to the high school. Like right next door.  Or maybe for whatever reason Bayside didn't have a lunchroom (never did show one of the show) so they let the kids eat at the Max.

From what I remember, they never showed a cafeteria, but they did mention it. In the Johnny Dakota episode, Belding asks Johnny if he'd like some more food from the cafeteria. Johnny tells Belding that he's still full from the salisbury steak, but Belding tells him "That wasn't salisbury steak. That was tapioca pudding."

And how great was Slater at sports. He was on the football team, the wrestling team, AND the basketball team. Which if it was like my school he couldn't be on wrestling and basketball seeing as how both ran at the same time.

I also think he was on the Track and Baseball teams for some of the episodes which means he would have been on like two teams at a time in the winter and the spring.

Why were Zack's parents divorced at first, and than still married in a later episode?

What happened to the homeless family?

Why were they friends with screech?

Why did the school consist of 1 classroom? One hallway? and the Principal's office?

Why during graduation where the 6 names conventially read together? Most graduations I know go in alphabetical order.

Why did Kelly break up with Zack for that creep Jeff, and why didn't call the police on Jeff for committing statatory rape?

Why wasn't Rod Belding on more episodes?

Why did it seem like the same 2 or 3 teachers taught every class?

Why did Kelly (Tiffany Amber Thiessen) leave the show for a year or whatever it was?

TAT, like Elizabeth Berkley, wanted out of the show to go on to do movies and thanks to the fucked up nature of the how the show was organized episode seasonwise, got out of their contracts halfway through the final season, forcing NBC to have to renegotiate a new contract with TAT....

Lets see. For one was the gang the only students at the school that Mr. Belding ever talk to, plan school events with, etc? I mean he sure as hell sent alot of time with them and did he ever really spend time with his wife? Guess so she did have baby but, who knows someone else could be the dad.

IIRC during the episode whene Belding's wife gave birth, there was a scene where one of the characters commented about how Belding kept his personal life top-secret from the teens, as none of them actually knew he was going to be a dad until his pregnat wife showed up out of the blue one day...

Was the gang involved in every dance, club, etc?. Some like nothing went on in that school without them.

Blame shit writing, which basically said that for the sake of speediness, all of the teens belonged to all groups to save time and thinking for the writers to set up the plots.

Again, blame shit writing, in this case the shit stereotypes that decreed that Slater was a jock who played on all of the sports teams at Bayside.

What happened with whole Zack and Lisa start dating thing? I mean Screech was ready to kick Zack's ass because of it. So, what happen with them afterwards?

Like 99.9% of all SBTB episodes, the episode that teased Zack and Lisa getting together ended with them pressing the cosmic reset button and deciding not to become a couple on the grounds that they were better friends than lovers. As for Screech, like all of the other times Zack abused him to the point that he finally grew some balls and stood up for himself, he forgot all about it at the end of the episode after a half-assed and totally insincire apology from Zach and resumed the bitch position.

How much time did they send at school? Most of the time we see them at school or the Max. And alot of times they were at the school at all different times of the day. I mean what did their folks think? But, like I said this is all part of the SBTB charm.

Say it with me again, shit writing. But then again, only Lisa seemed to have an interesting homelife so it makes sense that they ignored that since none of the characters were that well-developed....

Why were Zack's parents divorced at first, and than still married in a later episode?

My take was that they were just seperated/in the process of divorcing and Zack, being who he is, told everyone they were divorced in order to manipulate people into feeling sorry for him, said they were already divorced. And that his parents ultimately reconciled before the divorce was finalized...

What happened to the homeless family?

One-Shot characters for a shitty "Very Special Episode"...

Why were they friends with screech?

1. He was Zack's bitch and 2. Everyone hated Lisa and keeping her stalker around was the gang's way of getting off on Lisa's misery...

Why did the school consist of 1 classroom? One hallway? and the Principal's office?

Low budget for sets

Why during graduation where the 6 names conventially read together? Most graduations I know go in alphabetical order.

Shit writing

Why did Kelly break up with Zack for that creep Jeff, and why didn't call the police on Jeff for committing statatory rape?

Because the writers realized how boring Zack and Kelly were together and broke them up after a trial run as a couple. As for Jeff, they let him slide because they knew that if they were in Kelly's position that they wouldn't mind getting laid with an older man/woman....

Why wasn't Rod Belding on more episodes?

Because the writers decided to only do one episode revolving around how the principal was a good guy who actually cared about Zack and co. despite being a bitch towards them....

Why did it seem like the same 2 or 3 teachers taught every class?

Low budgets for non-principal characters....

Because the writers realized how boring Zack and Kelly were together and broke them up after a trial run as a couple. As for Jeff, they let him slide because they knew that if they were in Kelly's position that they wouldn't mind getting laid with an older man/woman....

I always thought it was because they jumped shark and they wanted to get of the shark.

Were the SBTB movies any good?

Pretty silly (especially Wedding In Las Vegas), but I enjoyed 'em (duh).

And Zack's parents were seperated in the Ms. Bliss years, not in the TNBC continuity. He had a different actor playing his dad in the Ms. Bliss ep and all. Once they got bought by NBC that continuity went out the window.

Guest netslob

Like 99.9% of all SBTB episodes, the episode that teased Zack and Lisa getting together ended with them pressing the cosmic reset button and deciding not to become a couple on the grounds that they were better friends than lovers. As for Screech, like all of the other times Zack abused him to the point that he finally grew some balls and stood up for himself, he forgot all about it at the end of the episode after a half-assed and totally insincire apology from Zach and resumed the bitch position.

dude, i totally wanted to see Screech wipe that smug look off preppie's face...that would've made my day...the closest thing i got to that was when Slater and Zack got in that fight over that new chick...Slater wooped ol Zacky's ass...made my day.

The Hawaii Movie is so-so but has a shitty last half. The Las Vegas Wedding film was just awful and totally unredeemable....

And Zack's parents were seperated in the Ms. Bliss years, not in the TNBC continuity. He had a different actor playing his dad in the Ms. Bliss ep and all. Once they got bought by NBC that continuity went out the window.

TECHNICALLY you could consider the Miss Bliss episodes as Cannon, but you'd have to do some mega "replace X with Y" retconning to make sense. IE mentally consider them actually taking place in California instead of the midwest, replacing the generic chick best friend of Lisa and Zach with Jessie, and coming up with some sort of explaination as to where the third male character went to in order to not be around Zach and co. in high school....

TECHNICALLY you could consider the Miss Bliss episodes as Cannon, but you'd have to do some mega "replace X with Y" retconning to make sense. IE mentally consider them actually taking place in California instead of the midwest, replacing the generic chick best friend of Lisa and Zach with Jessie, and coming up with some sort of explaination as to where the third male character went to in order to not be around Zach and co. in high school....

I never liked the Miss Bliss episodes. Too many storylines surronding her.

Misss Bliss was a decent character if only because she had a brain and didn't take shit from the kids. And devoting stories around her kept the plots rather grounded as opposed to the out of control, fuck realism plots of SBTB...

Wasn't the original (forgotten) idea of the series supposed to be about the teacher (Miss Bliss) rather than the students (Zach and co.)?