TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jonathon

New X Men Titles...

I got a free subscription to any x title as long as I subscribe to Astonishing X men..

So, which one should I get?

Anybody know where I can get a description of the new "reload" titles so i can better decide?

Guest duck420

i just liked it because it was refreshing. so much of xmen is played out new ideas are always welcome. i also hate whoever is writing uncanny and his obsession with the love stories being the main plot of the comic. morrison never follows through with shit and always rushes plots

I got a free subscription to any x title as long as I subscribe to Astonishing X men..

So, which one should I get?

Anybody know where I can get a description of the new "reload" titles so i can better decide?

If Exiles was a choice I'd suggest that. Bedard's apparently developed into a pretty good writer, and the art looks good too. Unfortunately, it's not, so... was New X-Men: Academy X on that list? Get that.

man new xmen WAS GOOD until morrison quit writing it. now it sucks.

Personally, I hated the direction that Morrison was taking.

I guess it all depends on whether you're a big fan of superheroics or not.

When Morrison wrote that book, it seemed like the first time in forever that characters grew as characters. Rather than being mired in their own now-all-too-conventional characterizations, the New X-Men changed - Emma Frost fell in love with Cyclops and, being the amoral person that she is, did something about it.. Cyclops (who probably got the biggest boost from Morrison) finally started having some key personality flaws (i.e. he's a superficial horndog). All of the other issues were distilled down into their most essential components - the team didn't sit around at the mansion and just wait for someone to come blow it up (a key flaw to Claremont's decline in the 80's), human/mutant relationships were placed from different perspectives during the Jumbo Carnation storyline and he even made a wonderful contribution to the X-Men Mythos (the whole idea of the mummudrai, which I know I just horribly mispelled, is terrific).

The other X-Books, on the other hand, basically sat in stasis while Chuck Austen rewrote Romeo and Juliet for the mutant crowd (whafuck?) and Chris Claremont earmarked all of his stock plots in the 80's for yet another repetition in X-Treme X-Men.

I guess, for me, it was just a welcome change. I love the classic Claremont era of X-Men, with the Dark Phoenix and Inferno, but the franchise had since become known as a pinnacle of capitalistic desires, as Marvel shoveled out as many titles as they could with an X in front of them. It was time for something new.

was New X-Men: Academy X on that list? Get that.

Yeah, it was on there..I think the titles were that I was able to choose from were

New X Men

Ultimate X men

X-men

Uncanny X-men

ExCalibre

X-statix

And for the record, i loved morrisons run on "new x-men". It was just what I wanted to see...

The other X-Books, on the other hand, basically sat in stasis while Chuck Austen rewrote Romeo and Juliet for the mutant crowd (whafuck?)

::smacks forehead::

I still can't comprehend how Austen could have glossed over the fact that the balcony scene really loses most of its urgency when ROMEO HAS FUCKING WINGS.

::grumbles, watches West Side Story::

Gotta go with X-Statix.

Budget considerations have me getting Exiles and Academy X for certain, and maybe Astonishing as well. I'm not exactly a Whedon mark, but I'm interested in his take on things.

man new xmen WAS GOOD until morrison quit writing it. now it sucks.

Personally, I hated the direction that Morrison was taking.

I guess it all depends on whether you're a big fan of superheroics or not.

When Morrison wrote that book, it seemed like the first time in forever that characters grew as characters. Rather than being mired in their own now-all-too-conventional characterizations, the New X-Men changed - Emma Frost fell in love with Cyclops and, being the amoral person that she is, did something about it.. Cyclops (who probably got the biggest boost from Morrison) finally started having some key personality flaws (i.e. he's a superficial horndog). All of the other issues were distilled down into their most essential components - the team didn't sit around at the mansion and just wait for someone to come blow it up (a key flaw to Claremont's decline in the 80's), human/mutant relationships were placed from different perspectives during the Jumbo Carnation storyline and he even made a wonderful contribution to the X-Men Mythos (the whole idea of the mummudrai, which I know I just horribly mispelled, is terrific).

The other X-Books, on the other hand, basically sat in stasis while Chuck Austen rewrote Romeo and Juliet for the mutant crowd (whafuck?) and Chris Claremont earmarked all of his stock plots in the 80's for yet another repetition in X-Treme X-Men.

I guess, for me, it was just a welcome change. I love the classic Claremont era of X-Men, with the Dark Phoenix and Inferno, but the franchise had since become known as a pinnacle of capitalistic desires, as Marvel shoveled out as many titles as they could with an X in front of them. It was time for something new.

I guess I just hated the overall direction that they were going with. I detest the whole idea of their actually being an X-academy, instead of the whole school idea really being a sham so they can be a covert operations team.

I have to agree with Blak.

Morrison was the best writer the X-books have had in YEARS.

I have to agree with Blak.

Morrison was the best writer the X-books have had in YEARS.

Personally, I think that Winick/Austen (Exiles), Weir and DeFillipis (New Mutants) and Tieri (Weapon X) have all been writing better stories than Morrison, but when you're talking about the core books, then I'd have to agree.

I'd actually go so far as to say that of the four core books, New X-Men: Academy X will probably be the best of the bunch. I'm sure that Josh (hey, that's what the Wizard idiots called him) Whedon will do a good job, but Weir and DeFillipis have been doing a pretty good job despite some horrendous artwork. And, they've already had 13 issues to help set things up for the new book...

Personally, I think that Winick/Austen (Exiles), Weir and DeFillipis (New Mutants) and Tieri (Weapon X) have all been writing better stories than Morrison, but when you're talking about the core books, then I'd have to agree

I'd also like to say that, as far as writers on the core X-books goes, Mark Millar & B.M. Bendis have done better work with Ultimate X-Men (though not a core book - I'm just making a comparison) than any of the pre-Morrison writers did for....oh, a good five-year span.

The X-books were just bad, bad, BAD for a long time pre-Morrison.

And personally, I've been turned off to Whedon so strongly the past couple years that I'm not looking forward to seeing him foray into the comic medium again.

You probably should have picked up Ultimate X-Men. It is the most like Morrison's run which I am in agreement on with most of the other people here. It was the best thing to happen to the core books since the 80s. I am willing to give Whedon a chance, but early reviews seem to indicate that it is back to business as usual with Claremont and Austen is generally even worse. Neither Claremont nor Austen has any business writing the book anymore. Claremont is especially painful because he was the guy who made the X-Men, but he is in George Lucas territory as being a senial old fool who is completely living off of his past accomplishments.

I am willing to give Whedon a chance, but early reviews seem to indicate that it is back to business as usual with Claremont and Austen is generally even worse. Neither Claremont nor Austen has any business writing the book anymore.

Austen has stretched himself too thin, and with a writer like him, it really, REALLY shows. I thought that the Avengers arc and Exiles were pretty good, but his work on Uncanny really dropped off. With him doing just Superman and X-Men, he could get better, but that's still 30 issues a year - quite a workload for anyone, I'd think.

And that's another thing - with Uncanny and adjectiveless (again) being 18 issues a year, you DO see a drop in quality. Even back in the Claremont/Silvestri days, you could see a difference between the biweekly issues and the monthlies. I realize that Marvel wants to milk their marquee properties for all they can, but I think it's at that point where it could end up more harmful to them than beneficial.

You probably should have picked up Ultimate X-Men. It is the most like Morrison's run which I am in agreement on with most of the other people here. It was the best thing to happen to the core books since the 80s. I am willing to give Whedon a chance, but early reviews seem to indicate that it is back to business as usual with Claremont and Austen is generally even worse. Neither Claremont nor Austen has any business writing the book anymore. Claremont is especially painful because he was the guy who made the X-Men, but he is in George Lucas territory as being a senial old fool who is completely living off of his past accomplishments.

Are you referring to me? I've been collecting Ultimate X-Men since the day the first issue was published, and I haven't regretted it. Good stuff.

I'm not surprised about Claremont, though. First off, I must say: I HATE Alan Davis' art.

But Claremont just does NOT have it to write the X-Men anymore. I knew this about 5 years or so ago during his LAST run on the book. I remember one of the particular things he did which pissed me off was have most of the X-Men go on vacation – yes, vacation – while at the same time they KNEW that Nightcrawler & Cecilia Reyes were trapped by the Neo (anyone remember them?…..I’ll give Claremont credit – at least he tried to do new villains, rather than just retread Magneto for the billionth time). I remember being insulted by that.

Are you referring to me? I've been collecting Ultimate X-Men since the day the first issue was published, and I haven't regretted it. Good stuff.

I was referring to Jonathon.