TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
TheDevilAndGodAreRagingInsideMe

Why ESPN sucks

better yet, after a sack, the tackler could pretend to jack off on the QB!

That reminded me of when John Randle pretended he was pissing on the QB like a dog does on a hydrant.

John Randle > Randy Moss

Guest Salacious Crumb

I lost it with Rome's radio show a long time ago. The callers were always the best part of his show though.

Hell, I happened to find Rush Limbaugh during the last half-hour of his show on Monday and he was getting on Berman and Buck for their "moral high-horse"

I heard that bit. Funny as hell.

Damn, first getting a case of "Pimp Juice," now defending thugZ like Moss -- Rush must be getting soft.

Well it's simple, Rush heard Randy Moss's voice, and figured he must've been a white man from Alabama.

I've never watched Rome's ESPN show because I remember how horrible "The Last Word" was and I can't imagine this one being much better

Rome's been a mixed bag for me, as there are reasons why I still listen which conflict with things that make me not want to listen.

Why Rome's show is good:

1. The callers and e-mailers are hilarious

2. Rome is funny on occasion (but has gone downhill in the last couple years IMO)

3. He gets the biggest names for his interviews

Why Rome's show sucks:

1. Rome has developed a huge fucking high-horse when it comes to condemning anyone who has done anything wrong.

1a. Because of that, the list of "run"-able (i.e. call terminating, for those not in the know) offenses has greatly increased over the years. I first started listening in '99 and I hear people getting run now for saying similar things that Rome used to laugh at.

1b. Similarly, Rome used to demand quality out of his callers, but now I hear horrible calls, with people stumbling all over their words and not really saying anything, being allowed to carry to the end.

2. Never allows any dissenting callers/opinions on his show.

2a. Back in '00, Rome was ragging on Scott Boras in typical Rome style. Boras calls Rome to take him to task. Rome's testicles suddenly disappear.

3. His interviews with aforementioned big names are, for the most part, very bland.

Also, something that both amuses and slightly aggravates me at the same time is, over the last five years, Rome has taken a complete 180 on Nascar (he used to hate it and make fun of it all the time, but suddenly found racing Jesus), but still hates on soccer and amateur wrestling.

Guest Smues
They just announced today that Jim Rome's show is going daily

Take that for what you will

Kill me now

Guest NaturalBornThriller4:20

Probably been listed already, but...

1. Around The Horn. Woody Paige blows everybody on this show away, yet he's the 1st one eliminated just about every episode. It's really getting old.

I've only heard Rome's show on a limited basis (when I'm upstate in Tampa, I get that sports channel rather than ESPN in my hometown). I like the emails that get sent in from "celebrities". Those are usually funny. The calls are terrible. Rome going on monologues about nothing is usually pretty bad. I heard the show after the national championship (when oklahoma got raped) and he spent at least twenty painful minutes ragging on Ashley Simpson. Normally, I'd be laughing, but it wasn't funny in the least.

His interviews leave a lot to be desired because he's too busy blowing the interviewee for coming on the air that he rarely gets around to asking a good question. At least with the Dan Patrick show, if he's already gotten what he wants out of the interview, he'll spin it into some wild area (the Zito/Mulder interview, where they discussed their strategies for picking up chicks).

The issue I have with Rome is that he takes himself WAY too seriously.

better yet, after a sack, the tackler could pretend to jack off on the QB!

That reminded me of when John Randle pretended he was pissing on the QB like a dog does on a hydrant.

John Randle > Randy Moss

Justin Smith's nail in the coffin sack dance last season was pure gold.

Best celebration ever, was the Saints leap frog dance like 4 years ago.

Guest Salacious Crumb

The best days on Rome's shows are when he would just get pissed and tell everyone that he didn't want anymore e-mails from Peppermint Patty, Michael Jackson or Mark Chimura.

Though I gave up when he started cutting back on the callers a bit and would go for half the show without any. Plus the fact that he'd rip guys for months but when he'd interview them he was suddenly their best friend.

Guest Smues

Just because I like to nitpick: They promoted Tilt as premiering at 9PM Thursday, Eastern AND Pacific, when that's not true it's 6PM pacific. and if they happen to rerun it at 9pm pacific that wouldn't be premering at 9.

I still listen to Rome on the radio occasionally, but I have never been a fan of either of his TV shows. He's still good occassionally but he'll run a subject into the ground.

On blowing his interviewees, I remember when Eric Gagne came to LA and was struggling to make it as a fifth starter, and Rome was all over, calling him among other things "a piece of crap". Well, Gagne becomes the god of all closers and makes the All-Star team, and Rome is just all over him begging Gagne to forgive him for his on-air comments. I think Rome has learned his Chris Everett lesson - he'll confront athletes on the air, but will let the matter drop. Example: Rome has Simeon Rice on after Tillman died, and Rome is talking about what a sacrifice Tillman mande, and Rice says he was a coward for quitting the Cardinals or something to that effect. Rome tried to get Simeon to spin the comment into something positive, and when Simeon didn't he just kind of let the matter drop. I would expected Rome to go harder after him.

The best part of the show has always been the callers/e-mailers. I remember when it was announced that the new Star Wars movie was going to be titled "Attack of the Clones". It was the greatest half-hour of radio ever, followed by Rome and the XR4TI crew.

They just announced today that Jim Rome's show is going daily

Take that for what you will

Jim Rome is the Billy Gunn of ESPN. What is this the 5th attempt at giving Rome a tv show?