TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
TheDevilAndGodAreRagingInsideMe

The 2004 NFL Draft

I'm split on the Jags draft right now.  I think taking Reggie Williams at 9 was a reach, most drafts I saw had him going mid-1st at earliest.  I was hoping they would trade up to get Roy Williams, or draft Smith/Udeze and get a pass rush to go along with Stroud/Henderson clogging the middle.  Byron gets another target now, with Williams joining Jimmy Smith and Kevin Johnson in the WR corps.

Like the Daryl Smith pick, filled a need position at linebacker.  He started all four years at Georgia Tech, and he'll probably get a chance to start immediately for the Jags.

Trading up for Jones...why?  I think this is the Jaguars not only getting more RB insurance for when Fred Taylor missing his annual two to four games, but also preparing in case Taylor leaves...I cannot remember if they have locked Taylor up but I believe Taylor's contract is almost up and Jones might be insurance for next year.

EDIT: Forgot Cordova, the fourth pick.  I know this guy was a monster in WAC play, he was an end in college but I think he will be a linebacker in the pros, either way this will go a little way toward generating a pass rush.

Jacksonville will be fine, and by the way.....they traded Kevin Johnson to the Ravens for the 4th round pick that they used on Ernest Wilford.

Thats actually a pretty good deal, getting a proven WR for a 4th round pick (that ended up being who I predicted the Ravens would have drafted in the 3rd round due to desperate need at WR).

The WR they drafted in the 3rd Round, Devard Darling, I think I remember seeing a piece on him and his brother who died on ESPN. He looks like he could be a #3 WR behind Kevin Johnson and Travis Taylor.

Im guessing they drafted Josh Harris to be the 3rd QB behind Boller and Wright, which I guess is a good thing.

They took two other WR late, Clarence Moore with their comp. pick in the 6th, the only thing I really know about him is that he's 6 foot 5, and Derek Abney who I know nothing about other than he went to kentucky.

Guest Vitamin X

Green Bay Draft 2004

Round 1, pick 25 CB Ahmad Carroll, Arkansas

Round 3, pick 70 CB Joey Thomas, Montana State

Round 3, pick 72 DT Donnell Washington, Clemson

Round 3, pick 87 P B.J. Sander, Ohio State

Round 6, pick 179 DT Corey Williams, Arkansas State

Round 7, pick 251 C Scott Wells, Tennessee

Worst. Draft. Ever.

Wow....A PUNTER IN THE FOURTH ROUND?!?!? If the Packers were going pick-crazy, they could've taken Will Poole to see if he would have had that bad of a character flaw at least. Punters are a penny a dozen in the NFL and even moreso in the draft. They needed help at defensive line, and thanks to the fucking Bills taking Losman, we got stuck with Carroll at 25.

Mike Sherman really sucks as a GM.

I can't rate the Eagles draft as I have no idea who the fuck the people they drafted were. I like the Andrews pick since he will likely be a starter in Welbourn's spot now. I really like the Matt Ware pick as he gives them the big corner they lost in Taylor.

On day 2 though I am lost. The QB they took is just their next attempt at an AJ Feeley. It worked the first time so I won't doubt them here. I like Bruce Perry a lot in round 7. Outside of that it is Oline and safeties. I would imagine at least one of the safeties they took can play CB as they only have four CBs on their roster now with Ware. Being that they grabbed Rod Hood and Clinton Hart (both showed a good amount of promise) as undrafted FAs, I won't doubt them on the safeties either. And they needed Oline depth as they lost Welbourn, they will lose either Thomas or Runyan after this year, and Mayberry is turning 30 an is coming off an injury.

It was certainly an unspectacular draft, but I won't punish them for that.

I really liked the Pats' draft. The Dillon trade pretty much filled their only hole on the roster, so that gave them freedom to pick whoever they thought was the best fit for their system. Vince Wilfork should be a huge (in more ways than one) asset for the D-line over the next 5-8 years or so. Man, with Seymour, Warren (if he keeps improving), and now Wilfork, that d-line looks pretty damn scary to face. Ben Watson was kind of a head-scratcher, but I guess they're preparing for Fauria's eventual exit, and want to give Graham a kick in the ass since he's kind of slow to step up. I read that he's an extremely intelligent player, and that's what Belichick wants. Dillon should get some good holes to run through if they use him at all.

I don't know much about the guys in the later rounds, but I like that they got some youth for the backfield (two safties and a CB), and they seem to have a penchant for turning 5th-6th-7th rounders into good players (David Givens, Deion Branch, and Brady, of course).

I think NE's going to be around for a while. A

Edited by Kingpk

Well, damn.

I'd always say that "rating" drafts is a bit futile, since you won't know for a few years... but I like to do it anyway.

Pittsburgh Steelers

Ben Roethlisberger, QB. Miami (Ohio) -- Is it possible, as BPS says, that he could be the "Big Bust"? Maybe, but considering they got him at 11, they couldn't afford not to take him. For the first time since Bradshaw, we might have our franchise quarterback. A

Ricardo Colclough, CB, Tusculum -- Small school CB with great athleticism and good size/speed ratio. Tons of upside, but then again, we lost our fourth round pick for him. Good pick? Sure. He was projected to the first round in a lot of mocks. But giving up a 4th for him was... disappointing. Still, filled a need with a potentially solid player. Probably won't see significant action this season, though. B-

Max Starks, OT, Florida -- This intrigues me, because he's in the same mold as Fat Shawn Andrews but he actually isn't a depressive gothic who balloons up to 400 when he gets turned down by his prom date. From what I hear, he doesn't have particularly amazing footwork, and he ran a pretty bad 40. However, any play where a lineman runs 40 yards is probably ill concieved, and he has impressive pass protection skills. Unpolished against the run, though, but then again... the potential people in front of him are Fat Oliver Ross and Todd "Turnstiles" Fordham. Could come in and start right away, and considering he was picked in the middle of the 3rd round, this one could be good. B+

Nathaniel Adibi, OLB, Virginia Tech -- Tweener DE/LB who will play OLB in the spot where Jason GilDong used to roam. May not start in year one, particularly because he's never played standing up before. However, he has VERY impressive speed for a LB (4.5, good box and shuttle numbers, too) and is an elite pass rusher. A project, but it could work out in the end. Still, no guarantee that he'll pan out, and that means that he can't get better than a C+ from me.

Bo Lacy, OT, Arkansas -- EXCELLENT pick. This guy has a mean streak like crazy, albeit was somewhat overshadowed by Fat Shawn Andrews on the other side. However, considering Fat Shawn Andrews' casts a shadow which is probably at least as large as several buildings, that's not a bad thing. He's a motivated, smart, exceptional run blocker who needs to work a bit on his technique. This is a sixth rounder with first day potential. A

Matt Kranchick, TE, Penn State -- Another project. This is a second day full of "project" picks for the Steelers. He's got great speed for a TE and has pretty decent size, too. Apparently, a great pass catcher who didn't really get a chance to start. The consensus amongst the scouting reports I read were that he is an unpolished blocker who was a WR but bulked up to play TE under Paterno. He has good strength and great hands, and could be an asset in a year or two. B

Drew Caylor, C, Stanford -- Played center for one year, played most of his HS and college career on defense. Shows good stength but poor technique; great measurables, although he needs to bulk up. Still, he's a huge tweener and yet another project. I'm growing weary of those, but then again, they all have potential. C

Eric Taylor, DE, Memphis -- GREAT pick. Fills a significant need (backup NT) as a player who is a big dude who will plug up the middle ala Casey Hampton. Might not be the most incredible prospect ever, but they picked him up in the SEVENTH ROUND! He'll likely make the team and usurp the useless Kendrick Clancy; I wouldn't even be surprised if he contributes in a platoon with Casey.

OVERALL IMPRESSIONS

-- Lots of projects.

-- Good filling of depth for the O-line; if even one of these people pan out, we've got a solid core for our O-line of the future. Starks could be a monster or a pansy, but I'm excited about Lacy's potential.

-- I can't wait to get my Big Ben jersey

DRAFT GRADE

B minus to an A minus.

It's too early to tell, especially with so many players who could be studs but haven't played very long/against good competiton. Most won't play this year, but have a great chance of contributing in the next four years. It's a decent draft, or it's a great draft; either way, they picked pretty smart. I'd prefer to have gotten that fourth round pick back, but if Cochlsdfjwhateverthefuck is as good as the Steelers think he is, we won't miss it.

That's not my problem with him. He's got all the tools, and he's smart...which is why everyone sees him as a can't miss.

I just don't think what he did in college is going to translate well to the NFL. I'm also not convinced he can throw from the pocket. He's always running. Which is fine against the MAC linebackers...but I wouldn't recommend rolling out that often against the Ravens.

I agree. And as we all know, most of us saw Ryan Leaf as a can't miss as well.

Taking a quarterback in the first round is always a crapshoot, especially one with such little experience at the position. And considering his experience was in the MAC, it's risky as hell. However, I like the fact that they've got two solid, if not unspectacular, quarterbacks in front of him which will allow him to learn the offense and settle down for a year before he even steps on the field. I can't imagine he'd be anything more than a bust if he was asked to step right in and play.

And it doesn't hurt to have Hines Ward, Plex Burress, and Antwaan Randle El to gun the ball to. We just have to hope that Duce Staley still has a bit of gas left in the tank to carry the load this year; we can pick a RB with our overall number one pick in the draft next year after we go 3-13. :)

"And considering his experience was in the MAC, it's risky as hell"

That's not true. Pennington and Leftwich played in the MAC, and I'm pretty high on them.

Roethlisberger has skills AND smarts (smarts being what my team's pick is unfortunatley lacking) so he should be able to put it together.

Part of my unrest comes from his team knocking my team out of the top 25...and then beating them at home in the MAC Championship.

The other part is because the latest trend in football seems to say that these talented guys are having a harder and harder time putting it all together on the pro level.

Plus...The Steelers did lose their QB Coach and Offensive Coordinator that turned Stewart and Maddox into something...at least briefly. Their on my team now...and they've got their work cut out for them over here...I'll tell you that.

Yeah, losing Clements really does hurt. However, I'm not so sure this Whipple guy we hired isn't just as good. He used to play QB at some level (just like Clements did), and he was an outstanding head coach at the D-II level.

The other part is because the latest trend in football seems to say that these talented guys are having a harder and harder time putting it all together on the pro level.

Yup, but a lot of that might come from the whole "I'm a zillionare and I don't have to work anymore" mentality. Hopefully, Ben realizes he needs to be a student of the game to succeed; if not, he won't.

And the MAC comment is due to the fact that the competition IS still questioned, and when he has a lack of experience in the first place (four years playing QB in his entire life), playing against weak DB competition (a generalization, yes, but probably not too far from the truth) probably precipitated his drop below Rivers. Although I see him as a better pick than Rivers, time will tell as we've been said. I just hope it works out.

Also, I wouldn't be too down on Losman. He's got a freakin' cannon, and if Bradshaw can succeed as an NFL quarterback, so can Losman. Maybe. Or maybe he'll be Leaf v.2.0

The story was that the Giants told him they were going to take him at #4, and then decided on Rivers to make a deal with the Chargers.

They showed today on the draft Big Ben getting told by NY that he was there guy...and then watching them pick Rivers to trade.

So...I think circumstance is what dropped him behind Rivers.

On Losman...I think Wyche and Clements can fix him mechanically...but I know what can happen to talented QBs that can't get there head straight (watch Drew Bledsoe the last year and a half). This kids starting out with questions about his head already...which scares the hell out of me.

That is one positive I will give to Roethlisberger. He is very smart, and football smart.

Guest Flyboy

With coaching and learning, Banky and I have easily decided that BenRo can easily become the "white" Steve McNair in the league.

Guest Smell the ratings!!!

here's a potentially hilarious story. The Giants 2nd round pick got horizontal with Tom Coughlin's daughter.

clicky!

With coaching and learning, Banky and I have easily decided that BenRo can easily become the "white" Steve McNair in the league.

Overrated and always crippled? That's a pretty bad combo, sez I.

:P

I don't think he sits for a year.

Just a hunch.

I agree, I could see him not playing at all this year. It reminds me of the Bengals situation last year. Just depends how far out of playoff contention the Steelers are before Ben gets in.

Even in the NFL where competiton is the closest, the Steelers are playing a third place schedule, where last year they were playing a first place one.

Guest Flyboy

Overrated and always crippled? That's a pretty bad combo, sez I.

:P

Regardless... he does a lot for his team and is still a damn good QB in the league.

Flyboys sig reminds doesn't Joey Harrington actually have to prove something in order for Rogers, Williams, and Jones to be effective? Certainly the Lions have mae it alot easier for him. At this pont though, it's a tad premature to call the Lions the next great offense.

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent

BenRo is going to be the best of the bunch. Before it is said and done, the Steelers are going to be major contenders. The Giants have a piss poor o-line, average to bad receivers, a good tight end, and a fumble happy rb. I think he just doesn't have much help.

Guest Smell the ratings!!!

Vern I think the theory is that Jones, Williams and Rogers will drag Harrington, kicking and screaming, to effectiveness.

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent

Wow

On top of Gallery and Grove, the Raiders are going to have Ron Stone and most likely Larry Allen on their line. In Lincoln Kennedy stays, this line will be fucking amazing. Even if Kennedy doesn't stay, they're still going to ahve Sims to plug into the RT position as Gallery has taken his spot.

If the Raiders take this line, sign Kerry Collins to give him all day to find a receiver - they'll be pretty darn tough on offense.

With all of these moves, I wouldn't disagree with releasing Tim Brown ont top of Gannon to inject new blood into the receiving corps. I wouldn't even say that Wheatley is safe either.

Guest Vitamin X

Collins would be a good Raider. Hell, he's already kicked an alcohol addiction, so he's got that "Raider Bad Boy Image".

Not to mention Rich Gannon isn't quite what he used to be. Though I never really thought he was much to begin with.