TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Firestarter

We just don't get it

Richard Cohen whines, mystified by the fact that Americans would support a man of principle, in an unintentionally hilarious column demonstrating conclusively how completely out of touch with reality the Democrats really are.

You might want to read Peggy Noonan's column, Mr Cohen. She gives a reasonable explanation for the facts which confound you:

"I think Mr. Bush is admired and liked after three years of war, terror, strife and recession because people have eyes...

You can agree or disagree with him, but it is hard to doubt his guts, his seriousness and his commitment. And Americans respect guts, seriousness and commitment."

Agreed.

I dislike Bush on many levels...

But...I have to give the man respect. There's few today who actually believe what they say and do what they say.

So yes Marney, I actually somewhat agree with you...again

And no, I will not be the father of your hell-spawn children =)

That's for KKK

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Bush's definitely got balls, which is something good to have in a president, but there's just so much more that I disagree with that I could never vote for him. That column didn't particularly touch me in one way or the other, aside from indeed sounding kind of whiny. Cohen's picture, though. Ha. What a goofy looking son of a bitch. My god.

Guest MikeSC
Richard Cohen whines, mystified by the fact that Americans would support a man of principle, in an unintentionally hilarious column demonstrating conclusively how completely out of touch with reality the Democrats really are.

You might want to read Peggy Noonan's column, Mr Cohen. She gives a reasonable explanation for the facts which confound you:

"I think Mr. Bush is admired and liked after three years of war, terror, strife and recession because people have eyes...

You can agree or disagree with him, but it is hard to doubt his guts, his seriousness and his commitment. And Americans respect guts, seriousness and commitment."

Oh, the left is going to be a hoot when Bush wins re-election. I am awaiting some of the more fanatical responses when he gets his majority of the votes.

BTW, nice Meatloaf song reference under your avatar. I've always liked the guy.

-=Mike

Guest Razor Roman

I think one of the problems the Democrats are having is that they have gone over kill on Bush, sort of like the GOP Did when the piled on Clinton during Impeachment.

They have yelled and screamed about everything the man has tried to do since his Inauguration, and so now when they have a beef, people dismiss it as being "those crazy Bush-hating Dems".

It's expected they're going to hate whatever the problem of the day with Bush is, so people just ignore the criticisms (weather or not they have merit) as being blatantly political.

Guest MikeSC
I'm not all that fond of Meat Loaf, but the girl who sang that line was fucking amazing.

The girls in his songs always tend to have kick-ass voices.

-=Mike

The better half always bitches to me about her co-workers who are big-time liberals -- one of them worked on Nader's campaign in '00. Well, one of them this week saw some documentary on Bush that portrayed him in a positive light (I think this film was done by some reporter [Newsweek perhaps?] on the '00 campaign trail) and had to turn it off because it was making her like W.

And if I "don't get it" because I like Bush, then I don't want "it..."

I'm not all that fond of Meat Loaf, but the girl who sang that line was fucking amazing.

The girls in his songs always tend to have kick-ass voices.

-=Mike

and look good as hell on floating sofas...

*goes to find video*

The girls in his songs always tend to have kick-ass voices

Her voice is pretty damn good, breathy and deep, still maintaining a delicate tone (I'm listening to it now) and excellent rhythm, but to be honest, it wasn't really her voice I was talking about. :)

*goes to find video*

I've been looking for it for a while. I'd better get a link if you find it, buddy, or I swear I'll kick your ass so hard...

<hears the rasp of the "cater to every fantasy I've got" line and swoons> God, that voice, recalling her face and her body just melts my spine. We won't even mention the scene with the female vampires (or whatever) licking and biting her neck and body and lips...

Guest MikeSC
The girls in his songs always tend to have kick-ass voices

Her voice is pretty damn good, breathy and deep, still maintaining a delicate tone (I'm listening to it now) and excellent rhythm, but to be honest, it wasn't really her voice I was talking about. :)

I'm aware. I'm just trying to avoid being shallow. :)

-=Mike

...Did like the vampires

Guest MikeSC
You closet goths.

Personally, I'm just pro-babes with nice racks.

But I'm like that. :)

-=Mike

Commitment, maybe. It's almost an ignorant sense of commitment, though. Give me Ronald Reagan any day over GWB, at least he made his intentions more clear, where as Bush is hard to predict and speaks to us almost entirely in rhetoric, operating on the belief that if he uses it so much, you'll eventually believe that it's true. "Gee, Uncle Johnny, I guess the terrorists really do hate us for our Ford Explorer and Krispy Kreme. President's been saying so for over 30 months now."

This trait kind of leads into my other complaint that so far everyone in the White House has been on a one-track mind regarding just about everything. There is no Plan B in case any of their plans fail. Bush is so overwhelmingly confident that tax cuts during wartime will boost the economy, that striking first at nations who we think might strike us will make us safer, that all these smaller other things he's done are so going to work, that there is no sign whatsoever of any sort of plan of action in the event that they don't.

Oh, and now his latest thing he's trying to stake his re-election on is the Patriot Act. Whether you think it takes away civil liberties, whether you think it's a simple piece of laws that are being blown out of proportion by activists, or whether (like me) you just want to see it used against terrorists instead of ordinary criminals before you'll accept it, this is still the most infamous piece of legislation since the Telecommunications Indecency Act.

Guest MikeSC
Commitment, maybe. It's almost an ignorant sense of commitment, though. Give me Ronald Reagan any day over GWB, at least he made his intentions more clear, where as Bush is hard to predict and speaks to us almost entirely in rhetoric, operating on the belief that if he uses it so much, you'll eventually believe that it's true. "Gee, Uncle Johnny, I guess the terrorists really do hate us for our Ford Explorer and Krispy Kreme. President's been saying so for over 30 months now."

This trait kind of leads into my other complaint that so far everyone in the White House has been on a one-track mind regarding just about everything. There is no Plan B in case any of their plans fail. Bush is so overwhelmingly confident that tax cuts during wartime will boost the economy, that striking first at nations who we think might strike us will make us safer, that all these smaller other things he's done are so going to work, that there is no sign whatsoever of any sort of plan of action in the event that they don't.

Oh, and now his latest thing he's trying to stake his re-election on is the Patriot Act. Whether you think it takes away civil liberties, whether you think it's a simple piece of laws that are being blown out of proportion by activists, or whether (like me) you just want to see it used against terrorists instead of ordinary criminals before you'll accept it, this is still the most infamous piece of legislation since the Telecommunications Indecency Act.

Should I ask who the "non-terrorist" it has been used against are?

The Act fixed many of the problems the 9/11 Commission is currently doing a kangaroo court thing over.

-=Mike

While the Patriot Act isn't AS bad as everyone makes it out to be, it still isn't very popular and making such a big deal out of Kerry trying to weaken it probably isn't a good idea for Bush.

Oh, and just so everyone knows, the girl in the "I'd Do Anything For Love" video didn't actually sing on the song.

I don't know every case, since I'm not exactly as dedicated to it's downfall as moveon.org or something, but I do know it was used in an investigation of a Las Vegas strip club owner, an event I remember seeing in their local news when I was planning my Feburary trip.

The guy has no ties to terrorism whatsoever, and it's use was later criticized.

Guest Goodear
It's expected they're going to hate whatever the problem of the day with Bush is, so people just ignore the criticisms (weather or not they have merit) as being blatantly political.

This is basically my problem with 95 % of political discourse. Everyone complains about the meanies on the other side so much that they turn into the Yankees and Red Sox in my mind. By which I mean that both sides are so determined to beat up the other side, that they ignore that the rest of the country doesn't quite care so much.

Guest MikeSC
While the Patriot Act isn't AS bad as everyone makes it out to be, it still isn't very popular and making such a big deal out of Kerry trying to weaken it probably isn't a good idea for Bush.

Oh, and just so everyone knows, the girl in the "I'd Do Anything For Love" video didn't actually sing on the song.

I doubt anybody cares if she sang. She looked good lip-synching that mutha...

-=Mike

Oh, and just so everyone knows, the girl in the "I'd Do Anything For Love" video didn't actually sing on the song

I thought that was Patti Russo in the video, and she definitely did do the vocals. If it was someone else, where can I find her name? (And phone number...)

Guest MikeSC
Oh, and just so everyone knows, the girl in the "I'd Do Anything For Love" video didn't actually sing on the song

I thought that was Patti Russo in the video, and she definitely did do the vocals. If it was someone else, where can I find her name? (And phone number...)

I'd say I'd kill for it --- but I just can't compete with this.

-=Mike

I don't know every case, since I'm not exactly as dedicated to it's downfall as moveon.org or something, but I do know it was used in an investigation of a Las Vegas strip club owner, an event I remember seeing in their local news when I was planning my Feburary trip.

Um... so you don't mind that the guy is being investigated for some pretty serious political corruption charges? If this helps the investigation and gets corrupt officials out of office, isn't this something good? And why does this seem like something that can be widely used on the normal American Citizen?

Um... so you don't mind that the guy is being investigated for some pretty serious political corruption charges? If this helps the investigation and gets corrupt officials out of office, isn't this something good? And why does this seem like something that can be widely used on the normal American Citizen?

Exactly. Don't do anything wrong and you'll have nothing to fear! They're not going after petty crimes here...

Um... so you don't mind that the guy is being investigated for some pretty serious political corruption charges?

You're missing the point. The government told us that this Act was to be used against terrorists, would protect us against terrorists, etc. This guy isn't Al Qaeda, Hamas, Hezbollah, or Islamic Jihad.

At the same time, nobody who is has been caught with the help of the Patriot Act. If we started putting terrorists behind bars because of the Patriot Act, then I'd think "Whew. That's a really useful set of laws!" or something similar. They're not, and considering how the law is supposed to expire sometime not far from now, obviously whoever gave it that expiration date originally thought we would see progress because of it by now.

So here's the magic question: If the provisions of the act are being used against people who are not terrorists, as some feared from the day it was passed, and we haven't caught any terrorists with the new abilities granted by it, then why should we keep it?

At the same time, nobody who is has been caught with the help of the Patriot Act.

You have no idea what part the Patriot Act has played in the arrest of terror suspects.

Guest thebigjig

I cant stand Bush... I hate him more than I've hated anyone in politics, and that includes Clinton... when I was a die hard blind republican

To me, Bush represents the pure definition of arrogance. When people say that he stands by his word, and sticks to his policies through thick and then and doesnt waver, it's not because he's a warrior who doesnt give a damn about public opinion and only does what HE thinks is right... it's because he has taken advantage of the support he got from everyone after 9-11... Bush is smart to that extent. He knows he can get away with shit

ALOT of people see Bush as a father figure in this country... he went after the terrorists after they struck us, and he stood up and fought, and because of that, alot of people have a blind loving connection to the man. It doesnt really matter what he does wrong, or even if he breaks a law, it wont matter to these people... It's an emotional attachment. I KNOW for a fact that this is the case, at least in the south it is. I see it everyday... this man could storm into the national archives and eat the declaration of independance with a side of macaroni and cheese, and the average republican hick would say "well at least he doesnt support the fags!"

Now that being said, I believe Bush will win this November. I have faith in my party, but I think in the end, when the smoke has cleared, Bush will stand victorious... but extremely bruised and battered. This will not be a landslide win for him, and it will be a very close election

And while some of you are expecting alot of the liberals on this board to come on here and complain fanatically, I expect the conservatives to try and rub it in our faces... the difference is that if by chance Kerry wins, I will not rub it in anyones face...

unless of course, its a landslide victory...

You have no idea what part the Patriot Act has played in the arrest of terror suspects.

If we were suddently catching hijackers, truck bombers, both immigrants and our own Tim McVeighs, and it was all because of the Patriot Act, don't you think we'd know by now?