TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Kahran Ramsus

Clarett's Appeal Denied

Associated Press

WASHINGTON -- Maurice Clarett's bid to enter this weekend's NFL draft was turned down by the Supreme Court on Thursday, delaying for now his attempt to bypass the league's eligibility rule.

Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg rejected his first request, saying she saw no reason to overturn a lower court's stay preventing the former Ohio State running back from being taken in the draft.

She cited the NFL's willingness to "promptly" hold a supplemental draft if the 20-year-old Clarett, out of high school two years, prevails in his lawsuit challenging the NFL's requirement that players wait three years after high school before turning pro.

Clarett filed a second emergency appeal with Justice John Paul Stevens, who quickly turned it down.

"Today's decision confirms the judgment of the court of appeals and allows us to turn our focus from the courtroom to the draft room," Jeff Pash, the NFL's in-house attorney, said in a statement.

Clarett's attorney, Alan Milstein, wouldn't comment on the rulings. Messages left for Clarett and his mother weren't returned.

Milstein had argued in a filing with Ginsburg that the player would "suffer substantial irreparable injury" if he was not allowed in the draft.

The NFL had said that allowing Clarett to be drafted could be unfair to the team that picked him and to a player who loses out on a spot because Clarett was chosen.

Ginsburg's decision also keeps out wide receiver Mike Williams of Southern California, who entered the draft after the original decision allowing in Clarett.

"The NFL may have been successful in keeping them out of Saturday's draft, but there's always the possibility of the supplemental draft," said Williams' agent, Mike Azzarelli.

While Williams would have been a first-round pick, Clarett was expected to be a late second-round or third-round choice.

Clarett has not played since the 2002 season at Ohio State, showed up out of shape at the NFL scouting combine, and had what most scouts considered a mediocre workout in Columbus earlier this month.

Neither justice ruled on the merits of Clarett's claim that the NFL's rule was arbitrary and anticompetitive, robbing young players of an opportunity to enter the multimillion-dollar marketplace.

His attorneys had relied on a court ruling letting major league baseball players move among teams, and other court decisions opening up the NBA and NHL to younger players.

The NFL contends younger players are not physically ready to play professional football and may harm themselves by over-training or resorting to steroid use.

Some teenage athletes have flourished in pro leagues. LeBron James was selected as the top rookie in the NBA this season, just one year out of high school. And 14-year-old Freddy Adu is the highest-paid player in Major League Soccer.

Clarett was appealing a stay issued Monday by the New York-based 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals that put on hold a lower-court ruling saying the NFL can't enforce its three-year rule. Ginsburg was first assigned the case because she oversees appeals from New York, which is where the NFL is based.

Clarett led Ohio State to a national title as a freshman, but was ruled ineligible as a sophomore for accepting money from a family friend and lying about it to NCAA and university investigators. Clarett would be eligible for the 2005 draft under the current rule.

Ohio State coach Jim Tressel had said it was "far-fetched" that Clarett would return to play for the Buckeyes. He dropped out of classes at Ohio State after the winter quarter.

"From an academic standpoint, unless the NCAA really changes its posture about academics, I think it would be difficult," Tressel said.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1787651

Guest Salacious Crumb

I like that they think by reapplying the Supreme Court is suddenly going to give a shit. It just further shows how arrogant an ass Clarrett is.

Good. I loathe Clarrett. Maybe if his stupid ass had stayed in school, he wouldn't be having all these problems right now. But nooooo, one good year means he thinks he's a prima donna who can flout the rules. Well, fuck him.

I feel sorry for Mike Williams considering he's getting screwed due to Clarett, but the NCAA is willing to let Williams return to USC because he was:

1. Academically eligible at the time he entered the draft

2. Entering the draft during the brief window in which underclassmen were told they could do so, instead of getting suspended indefinitely by his university for a combination of filing a false police report and cutting class then making noise about going pro

3. Not a fucking prick like Clarett.

In short, FUCK CLARETT and let's all hope that Mike Williams comes out all right because he got screwed.

I think they will let Williams back given the circumstances. I think things might have gone much better for Clarett if he wasn't such a fucking prick that nobody wants in their organization/league.

I think Clarett is just stupid. The way the guy comes off is like he somehow believes he'll be the number one pick in the draft just on the basis of him being Maurice Clarett. From him showing up to combine out of shape to the fact that he is fighting the NFL tooth and nail for the right to be a third round pick, I seriously wonder what the fuck this guy is thinking. At least it is somewhat entertaining to see him fail.

Guest Salacious Crumb

At least you guys don't live in the same city with the guy. You probably don't even hear half of his bullshit elsewhere.

I live in Ann Arbor trust me we know all how big an asshole Clarrett is and all how Mike Williams is the one getting screwed over. I would be shocked if the NCAA doesnt let Williams back in school. The real question is what comes of Williams's endorsement deals he signed while he was in the draft.

I live in Ann Arbor trust me we know all how big an asshole Clarrett is and all how Mike Williams is the one getting screwed over. I would be shocked if the NCAA doesnt let Williams back in school. The real question is what comes of Williams's endorsement deals he signed while he was in the draft.

Williams would probably be ineligible for a year, and his endorsement deals would then either be put on hold or put in trust (if they can do that). Or, Williams could go to the CFL for a year.

As for Clarett, well, you're not gonna get drafted, you can't go back to college football, and you've probably screwed yourself out of a free education, so learn these words: "Do you want fries with that?"

Guest Goodear

Asshole or not, I still don't see the legal reasoning behind keeping a college sophmore out of the NFL. Sure they can toss you the line of crap about the guy getting creamed and not being ready, but then all you need to do is not pick the guy in the draft and the problem is solved. Instead we have owners trying to protect themselves against their own stupidity and continue to use the NCAA as a relatively cheap minor league where the players can get a phoney education. ITs simply obvious that Clarrett was only at college in the first place to learn how to play ball, why not let him try to do it professionally?

Jim Brown told him to go back to College and not dick around with the NFL actually. If I remember correctly, he wanted him to transfer to Grambling State for a year just to gain the year and needed experience before trying this stunt.

Also, even the PLAYERS agreed to keep the sophomores out of the NFL. They didn't want them in, it's in the bargaining agreement so this stuff should have been over months ago. That judge who started this should be disbarred for being stupid.

Clarett will head to the CFL, either be very good or very crappy and then people can talk about him then. But if the NCAA lets him in back in but not Mike Williams, I'll be major league pissed off.

Williams deserves to be allowed to go back, maybe suspend him for five games or something but he deserves to be let back. Maurice is lazy, he's a prick and thinks he is god's gift to football. Let him go run up and down a 110 yard field like Lawrence Phillips.

Guest MikeSC
Asshole or not, I still don't see the legal reasoning behind keeping a college sophmore out of the NFL.

They don't need a legal reason. The NFL and NFLPA BOTH agreed to the rule. People seem to forget that. He'd have had to sue the Union ALSO to get in.

Sure they can toss you the line of crap about the guy getting creamed and not being ready, but then all you need to do is not pick the guy in the draft and the problem is solved.  Instead we have owners trying to protect themselves against their own stupidity and continue to use the NCAA as a relatively cheap minor league where the players can get a phoney education.  ITs simply obvious that Clarrett was only at college in the first place to learn how to  play ball, why not let him try to do it professionally?

Because there is no right to play professional football and somebody needs to protect college players (not exactly the sharpest knives in the drawer) from agents who will advise them against their own interests.

-=Mike

Guest Goodear
They don't need a legal reason. The NFL and NFLPA BOTH agreed to the rule. People seem to forget that. He'd have had to sue the Union ALSO to get in.

I didn't forget, its simply not all that germaine considering that the rules of collective bargaining don't supersede those of the country. And its against the law to disqualify from working for you based purely on their age. Just as if the NFL and NFLPA decided not to let in any Mexicans, it doesn't mean they can't be sued for it. The NFLPA also have a conflicted interest in seeing this rule pass so its older members don't get pushed into retirement by younger and better players.

Because there is no right to play professional football and somebody needs to protect college players (not exactly the sharpest knives in the drawer) from agents who will advise them against their own interests.

There is no right to play, but I do beleive there is a right to apply for that position. I seriously have no doubt that if Clarrett were allowed to play by the larger organization, one of the smaller sub-organizations (aka the teams) would hire him to work. But the NFL is simply stopping their own membership from doing so on some nebulous reasoning which implies that one more year of education would make these guys smarter. Make no mistake, the NFL is only trying to protect itself and its cohorts in the NCAA and would barely lift a finger to help the kids... notice how none of them are jumping to the forefront to do anything for that wide receiver.

Guest MikeSC

I didn't forget, its simply not all that germaine considering that the rules of collective bargaining don't supersede those of the country.

Using that logic, the NFL could be sued under the ADA because they don't have handicapped people playing in the NFL.

It's a pro sport. It is EXPECTED that they have strict requirements to even have the chance to participate.

And its against the law to disqualify from working for you based purely on their age.

Not if both sides agree to the basic rules. The NFL is a private entity that allows ANYBODY who MEETS THE REQUIREMENTS to participate.

Just as if the NFL and NFLPA decided not to let in any Mexicans, it doesn't mean they can't be sued for it.

The NFL has certain requirements to play. If you meet them, male or female, nationality, whatever --- you can play.

What law is being violated by stating that 18 year olds can't play, but 20 year olds can?

The NFLPA also have a conflicted interest in seeing this rule pass so its older members don't get pushed into retirement by younger and better players.

They're a union. ALL unions do this.

There is no right to play, but I do beleive there is a right to apply for that position.

And he has a right to APPLY for the position (he CAN apply to enter the draft. ANYBODY can).

The NFL, though, has the right to REFUSE to allow you to ENTER the draft.

I seriously have no doubt that if Clarrett were allowed to play by the larger organization, one of the smaller sub-organizations (aka the teams) would hire him to work.  But the NFL is simply stopping their own membership from doing so on some nebulous reasoning which implies that one more year of education would make these guys smarter.

Their arguments actually tend to do more with safety and physical maturity.

Make no mistake, the NFL is only trying to protect itself and its cohorts in the NCAA and would barely lift a finger to help the kids... notice how none of them are jumping to the forefront to do anything for that wide receiver.

What are they supposed to do? They have rules set out, as does the NCAA. If you violate NCAA rules to try and violate NFL rules --- why should anybody do anything to "help" you?

-=Mike

Guest MikeSC
Williams didn't violate any rules.

Thats all I got.

He violated the age rule --- but unlike Clarett, he only did it because, briefly, a Court said the age rules was wrong.

I doubt the NCAA won't let him back in.

Maurice, on the other hand...

-=Mike

...It is stunning how an injury-prone freshman who wasn't a legit blip on the Heisman radar thinks he's a great player

-=Mike

...It is stunning how an injury-prone freshman who wasn't a legit blip on the Heisman radar thinks he's a great player

Well, he was friends with Lebron James. You know he had to be feeling some pressure being a friend to him.

I dislike Lebron but damn, he has placed one hell of a shadow on his friends.

Guest Crazy Dan

Well I am firmly behind the rule that you must be three years out of high school before you can enter the draft. Unlike the other sports leagues, where it is feasible to be able to play well against grown men, in the NFL, it is whole different story. These are some of the biggest men you could go against, and since your body is still growing, chances are you are going to get your ass handed to you. By going to college for 2-3 years, and in this case, I will use Division I as an example, the training is a step up from HS, which allows you to start building you up physically, and at the same time, you get great coaching (in most cases) which can only help you improve and better understand the game. Also, the fact you play football is a great gaurantee that you will have no problem getting the women.

But gee Maurice wants to be a Pro. The NFL rules need not apply to him. And of course the Supreme Court though otherwise. And so Maurice basically has a whole other year to think about how good a player he will be. And I say it could not have happened to a nicer guy. Clarett instead of just toughing it out at OSU, and building his college resume, decided that one injury plague season in which he did help them win it all, was enough to make him an NFL player. Heck he should be the first one to be allowed to enter the draft early, so Maurice probably is telling anyone who will listen. Of course, I really love injury prone, insurance scamming, dedicated student (well dedicated in the sense that he was dedicated in not to attend any class most of the time,) and possesing a great work ethic. Well great meaning that when he was trying out in front of some coaches, he was badly out of shape. And that is why is 40 times were very high for someone who wants to be a RB. When most Pros are keeping in shape all year long, Maurice can't even get in shape to try out. Man what a dedicated player. I think he really developed a swelled up head after that National Championship season. And that is why he is sitting out another year.

Sometimes I think we believe the hype too much, and Clarett was definately overhyped. I mean he had a good Frosh season. Anytime you start right away, and especially at a school like OSU, goes without saying. But come on, OSU won the title because they had a great defense, a QB who didn't make mistakes, and the ref's blown call in the title game. So Clarett was an important piece, but it was not like he was the only reason they won. I get this feeling that Clarett deep down thinks he signal handly led them to Victory, and that is why he will end up sitting on his ass for another season. Well I heard that the Arena Football league has open tryouts.

Clarett should have been a man, suited up for two more years at OSU. There he could have shown that he is going to be a good NFL player, and if he kicked BUTT, he would definately would be a first round pick. But that would mean actually going to school and working hard, and I doubt Clarett has a good work ethic. Because of your belief that you should be a Pro, you have basically seen your draft stock drop. And so the only thing that you can by is his freshman year. And as TheMikeSC pointed out, he did spend a lot of time injured.

And the other thing I noticed is that Clarett never appeared to me to have the greatest speed. Some RB have amazing speed, and you can easily see that. Clarett on the other hand, had a good line to run behind, which open holes for him to run through. So he got many yds that way, but I don't remember him going on many long runs where he simply blew by his oppanents. Maybe that explains his un-RB like 40 times he was running during his workouts in front of the media.

So Maurice, enjoy your time off. I am sure a team will give you a chance on the second day of the draft in 2005. You deserve to be where you are now. And I am sure the OSU fans will forgive you for basically giving them one good year and then basically letting every teammate, coach, and die hard fan down. Yeah, I do think you are overrated and you are example of what an athlete should not strive

to be. And maybe you prove me wrong, go onto greatness. But I am seeing five years into the future, and I see a ESPN "whatever happened to" segment on this Frosh Sensation, who though that one season makes a great player.