TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hektik

TNA-FSN Development

Yeah I know, another TNA-FSN thread, but this seems like important development. This is an excerpt from the 4/26 Wrestling Observer Newsletter:

More Details have surfaced regardind the fox Sports Net Deal. The time, which will be Fridays at 3 p.m. Eastern time, is being purchased by TNA, although the figure is unknown. Informercial time nationally does not come cheap.

Fox Sports Net has alerted affiliates to the negotiations, and sent out a memo on 4/20 saying "LA is working on a wrestling series. Details are sketchy from the network right now. Airs Friday at 3 p.m. beginning in June."

Regarding the ROH controversy, Tom Chiappetta of FSN stated that reports that FSN had any concern over wrestlers appearing for ROH is untrue. "We have nothing to do withe TNA and Ring of Honor's dispute," he said. "We are simply just airing the shows. TNA is paying us and we have no say in which wrestlers are involved, only the content must be family friendly for an afternoon showing."

The curent plan is to continue the weekly night PPVs as well as run weekly Thursday TV tapings, presumably in Orlando, with the TV airing the next afternoon.

I don't like this deal. I can see it working if it were a weekend afternoon, but not on a weekday. 3 p.m. eastern means it would show at 12 p.m. on the west coast. Who is going to watch it? Housewives and unemployed fans. Teenagers will be in school and older fans will be at work. This is a bad deal that will not work.

I'm allowed to leave school almost at 1:00 P.M. since I don't have another required class for the day in my last semester of high school, so the 3:00 P.M. eastern time doesn't bother me, though I still think the 3 P.M. time on Fridays is a bad idea since most people will be getting home from school around that time (however, I don't know of anyone else at my school who watches TNA since I've never heard them talk about it).

I give this deal 1-2 months before the show gets canceled due to a bad timeslot.

Guest OSIcon

Doesn't sound like too hot of a deal. Obviously anything in the afternoon is going to have a limited audience. At 3 PM, A LOT of people are still at work. Not to mention that a lot of kids won't even be home from school at that time. I understand it was probably the best time they could get, but you have to winder whether it is worth it. Is TV with a bad time slot (and on a mediocre station) better than no TV? Just look at ECW.

The bit that they are paying for the television time is also interesting. People (not just here) were talking about how they will be making money off of advertising once they get on television. Actually, it looks like they will be losing money for the opportunity to run their show. The appeal of having a television show (for TNA) is simply to use it as an infomercial for their weekly Pay Per Views, which is how they earn their revenue. That's why when it was being reported that they were dropping the weekly PPV's, I didn't see how they were planning on earning any money.

It is a gamble that TNA probably had to take at some point or another to try and boost buyrates, but I really don't see it helping.....

It will probably be 3PM across the nation. Friday at 3 is to try and get underneath baseball since most games start 4-6PM on weekdays and are early on the weekends. In general.

Usually it wouldn't be like that, 3 in Florida and 12 in Cali. Its usually 3 in Florida, 2 in Texas, 3 in Colorado and 2 in Cali. I think thats how it works cause you cant have a 10 o clock show in NY (Ricki Lake) come on at 7 in Cali and expect people to watch. The news is on at that time.

It will probably be 3 across the nation since it's not live... it's taped for the local FSN stations will air it at the same time like they do Best Damn Sports Show etc.

The good news: Keeping the Wednesday dates as well is good for the boys.

The bad news: They are paying for a death timeslot for a show they're probably going to treat as the minor buildup show. This thing is going to flop.

I have school that time!

Wait...it'd be summer, and then I'm off to college! So...no biggie for me!

I can't believe I forgot about that. TNA's new show would start airing in June, and I'll be out of school by then as well. I still don't agree with the timeslot, though, because there are some people who are probably working at their jobs around that time, too.

Guest Black Tiger

So lemme get this straight, they're gonna pay for a stupid infomerical on a lousy timeslot that most people can't watch anyways. Then they're gonna do Wed shows in Nashville and then a show the next day in ORLANDO? I can't see that lasting too long, the boys are gonna get worn out.

Guest OSIcon

More then the wrestlers getting worn out is the fact that this is just more money they are spending. They now have to pay for TV each week, pay for producing an extra show a week, another arena per week, another set of flights per week, twice as many paychecks a week, ect. So the TV show now needs to make enough money to cover all of that and to make their PPV's at least break even in order for the television show to be considered a success.

I really can't see how they can look at this situation as anything BUT a huge gamble that they are praying will pay off.

Guest Jay Z. Hollywood

To me, this seems worse than the proposed WGN deal from a while ago. TNA is paying probably a much larger amount of money for a timeslot that's only slightly better than the one WGN was going to give them- and not only that they're going to pay extra rent fees for a more expensive venue. From a pure financial standpoint, this can't possibly work.

With all the hype that was going on, I thought this was an actual cable deal, not a glorified infomerical deal any indy with a money mark could get.

Guest Dynamite Kido
To me, this seems worse than the proposed WGN deal from a while ago. TNA is paying probably a much larger amount of money for a timeslot that's only slightly better than the one WGN was going to give them- and not only that they're going to pay extra rent fees for a more expensive venue. From a pure financial standpoint, this can't possibly work.

With all the hype that was going on, I thought this was an actual cable deal, not a glorified infomerical deal any indy with a money mark could get.

I was thinking the same thing. This is obviously why they are going to continue to do the Wed night PPV's and also, does it really make sense for them to have crap on this show....considering it has the possibility to kill off the company.

Guest Hot Ticket

yeah this is most def not a good ide but atleast give 'em hope. This gamble might revive wrestling.

At Fox Sports West and West 2 here they replay everything about 10 times a week, if that's how it is in other places they'll be ok.

A 3pm time really isn't that good, but since it's filler programming I'm sure it will be repeated.

It's not a bad time for me at all. I'm usually home and bored around this time.

It might be 3 PM PST, which would be okay. The show's going to get preempted like crazy in some markets (i.e., Chicago where there are a ton of Cubs day games).

Cubbies aren't on FSN, they're on WGN. Otherwise they'd be seriously screwed there. (Although most areas that get Fox Sports Chicago also get Fox Sports Midwest, so it isn't that big a deal.)

Either way, this deal doesn't scream good idea to me. Part of me hopes this isn't the deathknell for TNA, but then again, at least we still have ROH. (And they could get their stars back too....)

Guest Banders Kennany

Damn all this talk of their big deal and it's one they are *PAYING* for? This is ridiculous. This isn't a cable deal....this is a damn scam. RIP TNA.

Guest Donners

Am I the only one who actually wants to wait and see what happens before jumping for the doom and gloom responses? Honestly, I think there are people out there who just pray for bad news to give them a chance to complain about it.