TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

Spiderman 2 to be advertised on bases, rubber

Well, the shit has finally hit the fan. They've gone way past small ads on uniforms and have given away all 3 bases and the pitching rubber, for EVERY major league game. It's on ESPN.com's mainpage.

I personally think it sucks, real bad. I don't want to see it happen.

Discuss.

Guest Redhawk

I read somewhere that Ralph Nader called out MLB on the uniform advertising, saying it was appalling and disgusting and such. Kind of an overreaction, IMO.

Lame. If you're going to be a shill, go all out. Make the infield look like a big web or something...

I read somewhere that Ralph Nader called out MLB on the uniform advertising, saying it was appalling and disgusting and such. Kind of an overreaction, IMO.

Source.

WASHINGTON - Presidential candidate Ralph Nader (news - web sites) called the advertisements on uniforms during major league baseball's season-opening series an "obscene embarrassment" and sent a letter of protest Tuesday.

"This overcommercialization is sapping the fun out of being a fan of major league baseball," Nader wrote in his letter to commissioner Bud Selig. "Now, you have sunk to a greedy new low."

The ads appeared on the uniform sleeves and caps of the New York Yankees (news) and Tampa Bay Devil Rays (news) during their two-game series in Tokyo on March 30-31.

While the New York Mets (news) and Chicago Cubs (news) wore similar ads when they played in Tokyo in 2000, and baseball said in advance that the Yankees and Devil Rays would wear patches, Nader said the ads this year "ambushed fans across the country and left them shaking their heads at this obscene embarrassment."

Tim Brosnan, baseball's executive vice president for business, has said he is open to considering additional uniform advertising in the future, but Selig and chief operating officer Bob DuPuy have said it is not under consideration.

"We urge that you immediately put this issue to rest once and for all and eliminate any current or future possibility that major league baseball will accept advertisements on uniforms," Nader wrote.

Guest Salacious Crumb

I don't see what the big deal is. It's not like the rest of the stadium isn't already littered with ads.

Guest OctoberBlood

Why not just have all the players dress up in spider-man costumes?

Anyways.. it's not a big deal. You can barely see anything on the bases anywho. It's still the best sport in the world, even with Selig's ways.. and that says alot.

Considering at CBP you can see Pat Burrell make a catch at the wall next to a huge Legg Mason ad, I don't have an immediate problem with this.

My problem will likely be when that weekend comes around and we hear Spiderman mentioned 10 times a game to really drive it home.

Nader said the ads this year "ambushed fans across the country and left them shaking their heads at this obscene embarrassment."

Exaggerate much?

And are the Yankees home or away that weekend? Because how bad will AS freak out if his beloved Yankee Stadium is tarnished by this??

Damn I have tickets to an A's game that weekend.

You know Selig is chomping at the bit to rename the Expos after a corporation.

Guest Anglesault
Nader said the ads this year "ambushed fans across the country and left them shaking their heads at this obscene embarrassment."

Exaggerate much?

And are the Yankees home or away that weekend? Because how bad will AS freak out if his beloved Yankee Stadium is tarnished by this??

They're fucking home. So we can face the Padres of all teams.

Impeach Selig.

lol on spider man comparisons

like how raw would always have to work in crappy usa tv show plugs

whats infuriating about this is spider-man 2 would do gonzo business without this so its really not worth it

more people will see spider man than these games

id almost like it more if it was for a movie that needed help to ensure some money making..like riddick..that thing is screaming "BOMB!"

Guest Anglesault

Bud Selig is the worst thing to ever happen to baseball.

Hmm..

That weekend is the O's vs Giants series at Camden Yards.

They should have put a big giant Spiderman Web on the Warehouse to see if Bonds could hit it. Given where the Warehouse is he probably could if he actually sees pitches to hit.

Exaggerate much?

Impeach Selig.

Hey Vito will be at the game!

Giving blowjobs to the winning pitcher.

*realizes that joke went over at least 70% of people reading*

The difference between the Spideman ads and the other ads in the stadiums is that the other ads aren't in the field of play. The closest you get are the ads behind home plate. The rest of the ads are out of play (around the seating, on the scoreboards). The Spideman ads will actually be in the field of play, which is why I don't like this.

The difference between the Spideman ads and the other ads in the stadiums is that the other ads aren't in the field of play. The closest you get are the ads behind home plate. The rest of the ads are out of play (around the seating, on the scoreboards). The Spideman ads will actually be in the field of play, which is why I don't like this.

so signs on the outfield walls aren't in play?

Does anyone know how much Spiderman 2 paid for this advertising? I'm sure it was ridiculously high for a movie that's already going to make a lot of money with out it. It'll just be stupid this one time, but I'm going to get pissed if it ends up happening more frequently.

Guest Anglesault

Exaggerate much?

Impeach Selig.

Hey Vito will be at the game!

But it won't be bat day.

Does anyone know how much Spiderman 2 paid for this advertising?  I'm sure it was ridiculously high for a movie that's already going to make a lot of money with out it.  It'll just be stupid this one time, but I'm going to get pissed if it ends up happening more frequently.

MLB gets $3.6 million, and the New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox will get more than $100,000 each. The other 13 teams playing at home that weekend will get about $50,000 each.

The difference between the Spideman ads and the other ads in the stadiums is that the other ads aren't in the field of play.  The closest you get are the ads behind home plate.  The rest of the ads are out of play (around the seating, on the scoreboards).  The Spideman ads will actually be in the field of play, which is why I don't like this.

so signs on the outfield walls aren't in play?

Yeah, but I still consider that more on the periphery. Compared to the bases, the outfield wall hardly comes into play.

Guest Anglesault
I swear. This is pathetic. It's bad that it's happening at Yankee Stadium, but if it touches Wrigley Field, I will be wicked mad.

No Wrigley, but Yankee and Fenway.

Impeach Selig.

How has Selig been bad for a Yankee fan?

Is this computer generated like the ads behind home plate?

Guest Goodear

Oh no red squares on the basepads that are impossible to read from more than ten feet away! GOOD GRAVEY! Traditionalists in baseball are the ones actually advertising the thing by talking about what an affront to the world it is, despite the fact if no one told you, you probably wouldn't notice the damn things. You know, while sitting in stadiums named after a bank or something and looking at ten tons of ads everywhere you look already.