TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KingPK

This Week in Baseball

Guest Anglesault
LOL

He is our version of Jeff Weaver.

Hopefully, like Jeff, he will be gone soon(stupid Theo and his 2 year 10 million contract).

Yeah, that stupid Theo. Giving contracts to guys with good stats.

Except WS saves...

The one (three) shining moment of that world series.

Stats dont mean everything. I watched the guy pitch last year...every game. He has minimal control over where his pitches actually go.

All hitters have to do is take most of his pitches and they will eventually walk or get beaned. Kinda like Contraras, just dont swing and he's toast.

Stats dont mean everything. I watched the guy pitch last year...every game. He has minimal control over where his pitches actually go.

All hitters have to do is take most of his pitches and they will eventually walk or get beaned. Kinda like Contraras, just dont swing and he's toast.

Bullshit. He's been in the majors for five years. Last year, he walked 2.2 batters every nine innings. If he has no control, how the hell is his walk rate so low?!

EDIT: His minimal control also netted a grand total of one wild pitch last year.

Did I just see that Raul Mondesi is going to sit out the rest of the season for "personal reasons?" Anyone know if this might be related to his legal dispute earlier, or is it the fact that he's unhappy because he plays for the Pirates?

He cited personal reasons. I'm sure he ain't happy with the Pirates but he wasn't happy with the Yankees either last year and pretty much quit on them too.

Great news for Pirates fans though as now Lloyd McClendon has completely run out of reasons to bench Craig Wilson when Randall Simon comes back.

Bullshit. He's been in the majors for five years. Last year, he walked 2.2 batters every nine innings. If he has no control, how the hell is his walk rate so low?!

EDIT: His minimal control also netted a grand total of one wild pitch last year.

and 12 hit batsmen.

(Ya know, only one of the top marks in the league)

Watching Harold Reynolds defend speed on Baseball Tonight. Its sad how pathetic some of these guys have become. The point isn't that we don't neglect speed. Its that we'd rather use guys who are more likely to reach base in the first place.

What's Mondesi's deal? I saw that he cited personal reasons, but is there any chance that these are outside of simply being unhappy that he plays for the Pirates? Wasn't this guy pegged for greatness when he broke onto the scene with L.A.? What happened?

Wasn't Mondesi not getting paid..

Google Searched it..

Raul Mondesi, the former Yankee, is not getting paid by the Pirates because of a legal dispute in which his bank accounts have been frozen, according to The Associated Press. A court in the Dominican Republic ruled that Mondesi has to pay former major-leaguer Mario Guerrero $640,000 for helping him with his baseball skills. Mondesi is appealing the ruling while payments from his $1.15-million salary are being held in escrow. "He never taught me anything," Mondesi told the AP. "I'm not going to give him a cent of my money."

I dont know if that has anything to do with it or not, but I see that he just recently was getting paid again.

Pittsburgh Pirates outfielder Raul Mondesi is getting paid again, now that an order to freeze his salary has been lifted by the Dominican court that awarded Mario Guerrero $640,000 for helping in Mondesi's early development as a baseball player.

Mondesi, who signed a one-year, $1.15 million deal, didn't waste any time spending part of his paycheck. He went to Louis Vuitton and bought a watch for teammate Mike Johnston to compensate him for giving up No. 43 when Mondesi joined the club.

It's early but has any team ever lost 100 games one year, had a winning record the following year, only to follow with another 100 loss season?

I'm speaking of the Royals. With no pitching, and the possibility of Beltrane, and other players being traded before the deadline. I think it's entirely possible that scenario might happen.

It's early but has any team ever lost 100 games one year, had a winning record the following year, only to follow with another 100 loss season?

Yes. The 1985-87 Cleveland Indians finished 60-102, 84-78, 61-101. They finished first in runs scored in '86, thanks to replacing George Vuckovich with Mel Hall, and major improvements from Pat Tabler, Brook Jacoby, and Julio Franco.

They collapsed the next year, as five regulars (Cory Snyder, Joe Carter, Mel Hall, Tony Bernazard, and Chris Bando) compiled OBPs below .310.

Did I just see that Raul Mondesi is going to sit out the rest of the season for "personal reasons?" Anyone know if this might be related to his legal dispute earlier, or is it the fact that he's unhappy because he plays for the Pirates?

Now why would anyone be unhappy playing for the Pirates?...

Woo hoo A's optioned out Frank Menechino to Sacramento! Too bad he wasn't released. Mark McLemore was actived off the DL.

Oh dear God.

As I was driving home today Mondesi was on Mark Madden's radio show. It was one of the best inteviews I ever heard.

Mondesi: "I hit plenty of home runs for the Pirates"

Mark: "You hit two"

Mondesi: "Yes, and they went really far..."

Guest SpiderFan

Woodward had to be taken out of the Jay's/KC game. Looks like he aggravated his right hamstring again. This was his first game back, too. And Wells got hit in the knee with a pitch; he couldn't put any weight on it for awhile. Seems to be fine now. I hope nothing comes from it later, though. Jay's can't really afford to lose anyone right now.

Guest OctoberBlood

Junior homers, #488. Victim: David Wells. In PetCo, no less.

:)

Wow, way to go Marlins. I finally want you fuckers to win and you fall apart like that. And it's funny how Cabrera can make a diving catch, but completely misses scooping up a routine base hit.

Didn't matter at that point, but you're right. Things fell apart, and it's a shame because Penny pitched great and he doesn't deserve the loss.

Florida needs bullpen help, ASAP.

Guest OctoberBlood
Didn't matter at that point, but you're right. Things fell apart, and it's a shame because Penny pitched great and he doesn't deserve the loss.

I hear Jimmy Haynes is available. ;)

Which is a shame, since I just picked him up for my fantasy squad (Penny, that is).

And after jumping up 1-0, the Kerry Wood gives up two homers, putting himself down 3-1. Despite his heroics on Sunday, Patterson continues to unimpress me, as I don't think he's had a game this year where he didn't get out on the first pitch at least once. Not a good trait for the number two hitter. Perhaps it's time to move him down in the order and put someone like Martinez in the slot.

I just went back to the TV to see that Glendon Rusch is already in there. What the hell? Did they say why Wood's out?

Guest OctoberBlood
I just went back to the TV to see that Glendon Rusch is already in there. What the hell? Did they say why Wood's out?

CHICAGO PITCHER KERRY WOOD LEFT THE GAME AFTER THE TOP OF THE THIRD INNING WITH AN UNDISCLOSED INJURY.

Though, that could be anything. Maybe just a blister.

But wow, if it's serious. No Wood or Prior for a while = ouch. Lucky you, Zambranno is better than Wood, and Maddux is pitching better lately. Still a big blow (if it is indeed serious).

If it's serious then I think I'm done watching for a while. That's too much to take, especially considering the road trip was gonna be tough enough even with him.

Zambrano is not better than Wood. Maybe someday, but not yet.

Cubs can't win it without Woody, so I hope whatever this is isn't serious. They've done well to be where they are with Prior gone, but they ain't going anywhere without Woody, even if Prior were to come back guns blazing.