TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest glennsoe

Recap of Jeff Jarrett and Jimmy Hart interview

Guest glennsoe

This week on Between the Ropes, legendary manager 'The Mouth of the South' Jimmy Hart joined Fritz and Dickerman to discuss the television deal that NWA:TNA signed with Fox Sports Net and other things in the world of professional wrestling.

The interview began with talk of the deal with Fox Sports Net and the impact it will have. Jimmy talked about the mixture of young wrestlers and established stars. Jimmy said that the weekly pay per views will continue on Wednesday nights, and then on Thursdays they will tape at Universal Studios.

Jimmy was asked about the taping of WCW at Universal Studios in the past, and the influence he had with the TNA deal. Jimmy said that Universal was very receptive to bringing back wrestling, and he felt that it was a no-brainer to bring TNA to Universal. Jimmy feels that it is necessary to have TNA sign the talent so they will not suffer the same fate as the XWF. Jimmy did thank Vince McMahon for leaving the wrestling ring from the XWF since he took about everything else.

The show will be fan friendly, and will include autograph sessions. Eventually, it might be an attraction at Universal that people can see behind the scenes. The combination of Universal and Fox Sports Net will make sure that this works, including appearances on Fox Sports Net programming.

Jimmy said that he will do whatever the company wants, including helping with the publicity to get the product out for NWA:TNA Impact. The show will have fewer things going on in the back, and more action in the ring. With the new program, more people will be able to see superstars like A.J. Styles.

Jimmy mentioned that there are talks with AAA and the Japanese promotions to bring in wrestlers. Jimmy talked about how he worked with Jerry Jarrett before going to New York. Jimmy mentioned that Jerry was involved with WCW during its hey day.

Jimmy was asked if he will be at ringside with the megaphone to manage, and he said that he has the megaphones at home and the jackets are in the closet ready to be used again. Right now, he will be focusing on the promotion of the company.

Jimmy was asked about a friend of his who lives down the road from Orlando, and he said that they are close to Tampa so there might be a 'red and yellow' sighting in the future. Jimmy also talked about the angle that was filmed previously with Jeff and Hogan. Jimmy said that some of the biggest names in wrestling have been calling the offices of TNA to appear for the company, including the Ultimate Warrior.

The first show will be taped on June 3rd, and will air on the 4th at 3:00 p.m., but didn't want to say too much because he was afraid that Jeff Jarrett would hit him with the guitar. The company will be doing a lot of things around Orlando to make it fan friendly.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This week on Between the Ropes, former NWA World Champion Jeff Jarrett joined Fritz and Dickerman to talk about the company and the new television deal with Fox Sports Net on Fridays starting in June.

Jeff talked about the coordination of the deal with Fox and Universal, and he talked about the black eye that wrestling has received. The new deal is a product of the work that has been done for the last two years. Both Fox Sports Net and Universal were proud to be involved with the product. Jeff said that everyone with TNA was proud to make this deal.

Jeff was asked about how the Impact show will be booked. The show will be 'impacting' the wrestling business as well as the Wednesday pay per view. This will be a hybrid show, and while they will not be reinventing the wheel, they are bringing new features. There will be innovative programming on Impact, and there will be no limits on this show.

Jeff said that there will be a futuristic look, but it will still embrace the history of the NWA. There will not be a traditional four sided ring, and you will have to watch the first show to find out what the ring looks like. The show will be a 'live to tape' episode.

It was brought up that this would be the first time that many fans will see some of the wrestlers in the X Division in addition to the established stars. Jeff said that you will see 100% effort from everyone on the roster. The variety of wrestlers and styles will be something that has not been seen in the last three years on a national basis.

Jeff was asked about the changes that have occurred with the company since it began. He talked about the hard work that occurs when the cameras go off. He said that he is still enjoying it, and it is still fresh. He said that the hard work has just begun.

Jeff said that it is still possible to do things a different way, even though some people in the business say that everything has been done before. He said that wrestling fans are the most passionate and vocal, including on the internet and message board. He said that the TNA fans are very passionate and they will let the company know what they like.

Jeff was asked about the balance behind the scenes and in the ring. He said that it is hard to wear different hats, but he welcomes the challenge.

The first taping will be June 3, 2004 at 7:00 p.m. at Universal Studios and will be every Thursday at 7:00 p.m. through the summer. The show will air the following night.

Jeff was asked about the company going forward with the 'Bound for Glory' pay per view, and it is still on the table. Before they do that show, it will have to be the right business decision. Jeff also said that they are looking into doing house shows.

Jeff was asked about working with his father, and Jeff said that he has a lot of wisdom since he has been doing it since the 1960s. He has learned a lot from his father.

Jeff was asked if he has heard anything from the WWE since the deal has been finalized, and Jeff said that he has not heard anything. He feels that competition will be good for the entire business, and Vince probably feels that this would be a good thing.

Jeff was asked about bringing in 'big names' for the new show, and he said that you need to check out the first show on June 4th to see what happens. Jeff was asked about Jimmy Hart's friendship with Hulk Hogan, and the possibility of Steve Austin appearing on TNA. Jeff brought up the free agents who have made an impact in wrestling.

Jeff was asked about having to go from Nashville on Wednesday night to Orlando on Thursday and the effect it will have on the wrestlers. He said that the grind is a part of the industry.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They HAVE to have a GREAT first show or else people are not watching it again....With Sting, Hogan, Warrior and the outsiders there it will be cool but also WILL give a wcw feeling to the crowd...

- Glenn -

Jeff said that there will be a futuristic look, but it will still embrace the history of the NWA. There will not be a traditional four sided ring, and you will have to watch the first show to find out what the ring looks like.

What the bloody Hell is this crap?

6 sided ring......word is that they will have this up shortly in the Universal lot and the workers will likely be sent down there for a few days to get a feel for it before the shows begin.

I still think their best option is to get Hogan in for a feud with Jarrett. If Hogan would allow Russo to stay on camera, that would make the most sense as well to build more heat to that feud.

Fantasy booking here......it seems apparent that Jarrett will be regaining the title either right before the first FSN show or maybe on it. An idea would be to have Russo turn heel in this match on AJ, and give Jarrett the win. They would then reveal even since Jeff lost to AJ, that Jarrett went to Russo and they got on the same page....then planned to ware Styles out with all of the world title matches week after week (Even though Styles made some of them himself, the storyline is that Russo could have been talking to him in private that he needs to "prove himself" more by being a fighting champ.) in leading to Jarrett challenging him when he was wore out.

Anyway so Russo and Jarrett are on the same side, and immediately following, Hogan finally appears to confront them both and they go from there. Would be a good start to the TV deal.

As far as other big names, I dont see why they dont sign up Sting to a long term deal at least.

So the six sided ring will be for Heavyweight matches too? That's gonna be "fun" to watch. Seriously, why not just a bigger ring?

Guest JacK

That certainly makes sense . . . I mean everything has to ~SWERVE!~ and every title change has to involve a ~SWERVE!~

Vince russo also needs to play some part, if therz anything that history has taught us . . . 3 out of 5 title changes have involved direct Russo interference . . . and one involved an indirect loss-of-Russo.

They could even build an angle out of it . . . they could play out how Russo is decisive to a title change . . . then they could use a swerve and have russo turn on himself and cost his pfavoured wrestler the title . . . make him a schizophrenic. Now THAT'S a freakin swerve and a half!

Edited by JacK

Austin I don't think would ever appear in TNA. He's got bitterness towards the Jarrett's and does not need the money. Hogan would only be appearing as a favor to Jimmy Hart. If Hart/Hogan didn't have a friendship, I don't think Hogan would have ever considered doing the angle with JJ.

Outsiders I can see happening, since Nash still thinks he's a draw and Hall needs beer money.

Warrior might be cool as a one shot novelty return to work a match with Abyss or something, but I do NOT want to see the guy week in and week out.

That's a fun gimmick. Regular ring on Wednesday and 6 sided ring on Fridays. X matches are going to be wild!

Also, redjed I really like your idea. I'm really hoping Jimmy Hart can convince Hogan to show up now that WM has long past and Vince snubbed him anyway. That idea could work well, and for all his faults, Hogan will bring the ratings. And if they keep him on the Orlando shows, he won't even have to work Nashville...

6 sided ring......word is that they will have this up shortly in the Universal lot and the workers will likely be sent down there for a few days to get a feel for it before the shows begin.

Sorry for being completely out of the loop, but why a 6 sided ring? Is it a one time thing for a special match on the first show? Shock value? Is it permanent? Will they begin using it on PPV's as well?

It just doesn't make sense. Or sound like a good idea.

Sorry for being completely out of the loop, but why a 6 sided ring? Is it a one time thing for a special match on the first show? Shock value? Is it permanent? Will they begin using it on PPV's as well?

It just doesn't make sense. Or sound like a good idea.

They got the idea after working with AAA in Mexico where they use a 6 sided ring. They figured it would be a cool idea for X division matches. Since it would be near impossible to switch rings in the middle of the show, it sounds like they're going to use the 6 sided ring as a promotional tool for IMPACT! while keeping a regular ring for the PPVs...

Guest MikeSC
That's a fun gimmick. Regular ring on Wednesday and 6 sided ring on Fridays. X matches are going to be wild!

Also, redjed I really like your idea. I'm really hoping Jimmy Hart can convince Hogan to show up now that WM has long past and Vince snubbed him anyway. That idea could work well, and for all his faults, Hogan will bring the ratings. And if they keep him on the Orlando shows, he won't even have to work Nashville...

Do I ask when the last time was that Hogan "brought the ratings"?

-=Mike

Do I ask when the last time was that Hogan "brought the ratings"?

-=Mike

I don't mean to WWE levels, but in terms of casual fan interest and promotion, putting Hogan's face on the marquee at Orlando will get more curious marks to come check it out, and Hogan's involvement means Hogan doing a promotional tour and Hogan is the king of self promotion which means more casual fans watching the show.

I'm not thinking from a quality standpoint but from a business one. Will Hogan's likely large salary demands negate any extra income he brings in through walk up sales and increased ad penetration? Possible, but that's for TNA to figure out...

Guest Donners

I'd actually prefer they brought back Minister Mitchell as manager rather than Jimmy Hart, but I suppose his connections (both in wrestling and business) could (and have) come in very handy.