TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Slickster

Should WWE mention the anniversary

As you all know, this Sunday marks the fifth anniversary of Owen Hart's fatal fall at Over the Edge in Kansas City.

Since then (after the "Raw is OWEN" special the following night), the WWE has been quick to blank out any mention of the event and has been hesitant to use Owen's name and likeness.

The event is still the only WWE PPV never released on video. The event was never referred to after June of 1999. In fact, it wasn't even called by name after 5/23/99, only "last month's PPV." When going over the history of the Taker-Austin feud for JDay01, they referred to their previous World title clash in May at CDiH, ignoring their OtE match entirely. More recently, the title of Edge's autobiography was changed from its working title of "Over the Edge."

Owen himself wasn't even shown in video packages until the 'History of WWF' video from 2/2002. Now, Owen is shown only sparingly in highlights, most recently in clips from his SSlam 94 match with his brother Bret (shown on Confidential).

a) That said, SHOULD the WWE mention Owen Hart this Sunday/Monday, seeing as how this is the anniversary of the death of a loyal and popular worker? After all, his passing was noted in the news around the world and he is still talked about today almost as much as he was when he was alive.

b) In your opinion, WILL the WWE actually mention him? Or does the above evidence convince you that they will/won't even bring it up?

Guest Dynamite Kido

They SHOULD at least do a video package of his work, with some kind words.

Will they? NO.

I don't think they should.

If anything, it's just going to get people complaining because it probably wouldn't live up to the expectations.

They should just do a DVD, with the proceeds going to charity or something. A best of Owen dvd would be great.

I don't think they should.

If anything, it's just going to get people complaining because it probably wouldn't live up to the expectations.

They should just do a DVD, with the proceeds going to charity or something. A best of Owen dvd would be great.

I would give anything to have both a Bret & Owen DVD in my collection.

Should they? No. Will they? probably not.

Everyone misses Owen, but we all know he's dead and gone. Better to let the pain fade with time than to constantly remind us, in my opinion.

Ahould they? No. Will they? probably not.

Everyone misses Owen, but we all know he's dead and gone. Better to let the pain fade with time than to constantly remind us, in my opinion.

I agree. I mean, I realize that Owen's death was a bizarre circumstance, but they don't do this for every other deceased wrestler on the anniversary of their death.

Just let it be.

If they do a video tribute then people will say it wasn't good enough and/or they're just kissing up to Bret Hart to get him to return.

If they put out a DVD, and the money goes to charity, people will still say it was a tacky way to get publicity.

If anything, wait until the 10th anniversary or put a nice tribute to Owen Hart on the possible Bret DVD.

Guest Dazed

They are damned whatever they do. "Cheap publicity" vs. "ignoring his death". It's best to put something like this to rest, there's no sense in continually bringing something like this up, as it'll only ever end in problems.

Guest thebigjig

A subtle 3 minute video package shown once and never again would be fitting... it's not like they would be revolving the entire show around Owen

Guest Choken One

Owen will get his "memorial" of sorts in Bret's DVD.

I'm expecting a healthy dose to be devoted to Bret, (remember, Bret has say what goes into the DVD)...

But Owen should get a DVD devoted to him on his own, not because he died but because he was one of the companies best workers ever.

I believe all great workers should get a DVD comp at some point or a SPOTLIGHT on the 24/7 Channel.

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes

Owen's death is probably the only one that still fresh in my mind. Until I watched an old PPV, I forgot Hercules (Hernandez) even died this year.

But still, it's best WWE doesn't bring it up, since

a.) It would only annoy some people who don't want it to be mentioned anymore.

b.) seem like a cheap way to kiss Bret's BUTT like others said.

I'm sorry, this is kind of off-topic, but while on the subject of "best of dvds" for deceased wrestlers, I'd love to see one for Curt Hennig.

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes
I'm sorry, this is kind of off-topic, but while on the subject of "best of dvds" for deceased wrestlers, I'd love to see one for Curt Hennig.

I'd agree, but I think I have more than enough Hennig footage from 88-93 that anything on the DVD will have to be really rare footage like from house shows or something.

If WWE had the balls (ha), they would do a special DVD dedicated to the wrestlers who passed on, including their greatest match(s) or angles.

Guest Trivia247

Why aren't I hearing about Retrospectives on Curt Hennig's Death or Brian Pillman???

Its just Owen Hart is so memorible because of the events that surround his death. All the legal battles, and bad blood that already existed with the Hart family and the McMahons rekindled. the All the Vince Screwed Bret crowd gets on the band wagon to have a yearly tribute segment to owen, but screw all the other wrestlers whom died before or after him?

How about a moment to remember those others as Equally as Owen?

Or we leave him to rest as we do every other wrestler who's death date comes up on the Caladar

Owen himself wasn't even shown in video packages until the 'History of WWF' video from 2/2002.

Yeah he was...

But anyways, no they should not mention it. It's been too long. The WWE should just let it be. I myself am going to Owen's grave to pay him tribute.

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes
Why aren't I hearing about Retrospectives on Curt Hennig's Death or Brian Pillman???

Its just Owen Hart is so memorible because of the events that happen after his death. All the Vince Screwed Bret crowd gets on the band wagon to have a yearly tribute segment to owen, but screw all the other wrestlers whom died before or after him?

How about a moment to remember Crash Holly?

WWE never aknowledged Hercules death....at all. Crash got a little TV "RIP" and an article in WWE Magazine.

Herc. got NOTHING.

But anyways, no they should not mention it. It's been too long. The WWE should just let it be. I myself am going to Owen's grave to pay him tribute.

Things like this makes me wish I would move to Calgary quicker. Wait..he is burried in Calgary right? Cause now I'm not sure and will look like an idiot.

Just let it be.

If they do a video tribute then people will say it wasn't good enough and/or they're just kissing up to Bret Hart to get him to return.

If they put out a DVD, and the money goes to charity, people will still say it was a tacky way to get publicity.

If anything, wait until the 10th anniversary or put a nice tribute to Owen Hart on the possible Bret DVD.

I agree. Everyone should just let it be. They had Raw is Owen and a magazine about him, after his death, where as that might not seem like enough it is. Sure a DVD with just Owen would be amazing, but thats never going to happen. The closest thing to that happening might be if the WWE ever makes a Hart Foundation DVD one day highlighting each member be it Bret Hart, Owen Hart, Jim Nidehart, The British Bulldog, or Brian Pillman.

Guest Trivia247

Its just Owen Hart is so memorible because of the events that happen after his death. All the Vince Screwed Bret crowd gets on the band wagon to have a yearly tribute segment to owen, but screw all the other wrestlers whom died before or after him?

WWE never aknowledged Hercules death....at all. Crash got a little TV "RIP" and an article in WWE Magazine.

Herc. got NOTHING.

Things like this makes me wish I would move to Calgary quicker. Wait..he is burried in Calgary right? Cause now I'm not sure and will look like an idiot.

So theres my point, why drag the rusty nails into the arm to remember Owen's death and the crap that comes with it, when we don't pay same tribute to others who fallen?

Herc got nothing after being with the company from 86-92.

People who got the video tribute segments soundbytes

Andre the Giant

Brian Pillman

Curt Hennig

Crash Holly

Elizabeth

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes
They acknowledged Crash? I thought they didnt'. I thought only Steven Richards acknowledged it?

Well.....technically it was in the video on the RAW YiR show when they also mentioned Stu, Blassie, Elizabeth, Hennig, and Hawk.

I'm almost positive they did a wee after he died, but I didn't watch Smackdown too much then.

Owen himself wasn't even shown in video packages until the 'History of WWF' video from 2/2002.

Yeah he was...

When/where (aside from WM retrospectives)?

Herc. got NOTHING.

Im guessing Hercules will probally get a mention on the WWEs year in review show for 2004 come December. At least he should anyways.

Burial:

Queens Park Cemetery

Calgary

Alberta, Canada

hartowen.jpg

Guest Trivia247

Burial:

Queens Park Cemetery

Calgary

Alberta, Canada

hartowen.jpg

So moving to calgary just to be near a gravesite...How morbid

Guest Choken One

can you say what picture that is? I know it's owen duh but from where...

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes

Uh-no. I've been thinknig about moving up north after saving some money. I just think it would be nice to visit if I was every around Calgary.

Guest cobainwasmurdered

Henning burnt his bridges with company for one. Pillman was all over the map and died on his own time.

Owen died in the fucking ring. No matter what people will always hold the WWE at least partially responsible.

It's the 5 year anniversy. 5 years is a big deal. Give him a short but sweet video package.

Guest Choken One
That's a nice f'n tombstone.

*resists urge to say the stupid insenstive joke*

ah fuck it...

here goes...

"Yep, it's the only one he ever got right"