TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Edwin MacPhisto

The one album you own that most others don't.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

You and thumbtack dance around behind me and make faces when I'm not looking, don't you?

wither.jpg

Stabbing Westward-Wither, Blister, Burn and Peel

Bought on a whim due to the catchy first single "What Do I Have To Do" in 1996, it's one of the few albums I own that I feel I can listen to all the way through without skipping tracks. While some songs are merely okay ("Falls Apart" and "Crushing Me" fall into that category for me at least), others like "I Don't Believe", "Shame" (which is my favorite song by the band), and the awesomely creeply, melodic "Sleep" are songs I never tire of. This CD also was my introduction to the band, despite them having released Ungod a few years earlier. This is the album that made me a Westward fan, and I think they're one of the better alt-industrial bands of the mid-late '90's. A shame they broke up.

I also feel it's the best one out of their discography (Ungod, Darkest Days, and the self-titled album from 2001).

A few years ago, during the Napster heyday, I wound up finding tons of demo's, acoustic versions and remixes from the band too. Lots of good stuff there.

f41196o8oly.jpg

Dalek - From the Filthy Tongues of Gods and Griots

Its like Hip-Hop and industrial and ambient all mixed up and messed up. I love it and would recomend it to any true hip-hop fan.

f34129op4o1.jpg

The Sea and Cake - The Sea and Cake

I'll just post the allmusic review

"The Sea and Cake's buoyant debut is a breath of fresh air, an utterly distinctive and innovative work which expands the scope of frontman Sam Prekop's work in the great Shrimp Boat to incorporate a new fascination with Afro-Caribbean rhythms and textures. Recorded by Brad Wood, the album simply glows — Prekop's dry vocals and free-associative lyrics skip along a shimmering and lushly pastoral backdrop which nimbly fuses pop, soul, jazz and even prog rock; tracks like "Jacking the Ball," "Flat Lay the Water," and "Showboat Angel" are as seductive as they are elusive." — Jason Ankeny

somebody pimp me an iggy album to get.

As far as actual quality is concerned, Lust For Life is about 100x better than anything The Stooges ever did.

The Pillows - Penalty Life

Really fun poppy rock from my favorite band still together. Not as good as, say, Thank You My Twilight, but I don't actually own that one, so...

Wow, so many in my opinion...

If you like industrial (or at least say tyou do...) Then get some early/mid period Cabaret Voltaire. Truly brillient stuff. As for albums, for earlier stuff;"Red Mecca." Mid period stuff; "Crackdown," "Microphonies," "The Covenent, the Sword. and the Arm of the Lord," and "Code."

Also, Pink Floyds "obscured by Clouds" is an Floyd album any true fan should own.

there's a rich irony in misspelling the word "brilliant."

not quite a "laugh out loud" irony though. more of a "puff your pipe contentedly as you read the rest of your copy of the New Yorker" irony.

Guest Just Looking
Ben Folds - Rockin the Suburbs

Totally awesome, I have all of his albums.

Yup. For definite.

And I'll throw in Weezer's "Pinkerton" as well.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I wonder how many people have gotten that Acid Bath album because of me..

Also, Pink Floyds "obscured by Clouds" is an Floyd album any true fan should own.

With the notable exception of "Cymbaline", Oscured by Clouds is FAR better than the other soundtrack The Floyd did (I'm not counting Zabriskie Point).

Obscured by Clouds is just a straight up, lmost rock n' roll album. here's nothing too trippy or psychadelic, there's no ego-driven nonsense or no strange sound experimentation. It's just a good album.

I wonder how many people have gotten that Acid Bath album because of me..

I already knew of them, so HA~

B0000C8ATU.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Van Dyk's first new album in three years, it's polarized his fans who either love the new direction he's taking by gravitating away from pure club trance, and the hardliners who think he's "selling out" like Oakenfold did with Bunkka. As a not totally pure trance album, I recommend this to everyone who doesn't have it already, especially those who are somewhat curious about this dance music I seem to talk about so much. If "Nothing But You" doesn't stir you somehow or make you feel as if you're being taken off to some ethereal dreamland, then you'll never ever like this kind of stuff.

B00005KIZZ.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

If you're into the bouncier Euro-stuff, peep this. Then get your friends to listen to it, but sucker them in with the cover of Fastball's "The Way" that's on here, or if they're hardcore 80s fanatics, the cover of Nik Kershaw's "The Riddle" or the elegant "Rectangle," which was originally composed by Jacno (early 80s French electro-pioneer). And oh yeah, "L'Amour Toujours (I'll Fly With You)" is a GODLY song. Wish there'd been a better mix of it on the album (the Micro DJ Italian remix is tremendous, as well as the version used for the video) though. In original form though, it's chilling to hear the first time.

Ben Folds - Rockin the Suburbs

Totally awesome, I have all of his albums.

Yup. For definite.

And I'll throw in Weezer's "Pinkerton" as well.

Really? I know a few people who have Pinkerton (myself included).

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent

d13605ci5xu.jpg

Not a staple in the casual fan Coltrane catalogue, but it should. One of the first releases with his renowned "Coltrane Quartet" which would peak with the remarkable "A Love Supreme". This is the loveliest Coltrane ever sounded.

Guest TheGregWitul
somebody pimp me an iggy album to get.

As far as actual quality is concerned, Lust For Life is about 100x better than anything The Stooges ever did.

While 'Lust For Life' is very good, 'Fun House' and 'Raw Power' are a step down, and 'The Idiot' is above all three, and remains the best Iggy album...

j.

Guest Fire and Knives
d13605ci5xu.jpg

Not a staple in the casual fan Coltrane catalogue, but it should. One of the first releases with his renowned "Coltrane Quartet" which would peak with the remarkable "A Love Supreme". This is the loveliest Coltrane ever sounded.

I just picked this up last week. Fucking gorgeous.

K.

there's a used copy of ^ floating around downtown athens that i've seen for something like 6 dollars. i might pick that up today.

EDIT: turns out the place wasn't open, so i went to another record store & picked up a spoken word album of jason robards performing some eugene o'neill monologues. also for 6 dollars.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

HK - "Forged From Lightning"

Brilliant power-metal from an up-and-coming English band.