TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vanhalen

"Sometimes Vince Does Things to be nice"

Hey, theres a passage in Foleys book when he was bitching about someone who was getting a push and the Funker said, "mick sometimes vince does it to be nice", so what has Vince done, that in your view, was not done for business purposes, but just to be "nice", a push maybe, or a belt on some crappy wrestler(Hardcore Holly at RR04 springs to mind)

Bringing back guys like Slaughter, Albano, Backlund, Billy Graham and Piper after they badmouthed Vince and the company upon leaving. Hell, Graham even went against him during the steroid trial and Vince is still intent on making sure that his legacy his remembered, simply because he was Vince's favorite wrestler.

He would no doubt do the same for Sammartino and Bret Hart.

I don't count Hogan in that group because there was money to be made from Vince-Hogan working together again.

Paying for the rehab of guys like Eddy Guerrero and William Regal and then giving them a chance upon their recovery.

Regal credits Vince with helping to save his life

Guest Goodear

Paying a bunch of guys like Kanyon through their injuries despite not really having any plans to use them once they got healthy. Considering the way WCW would fire guys by Fed Ex when they got laid up (i.e. Steve Austin) it always struck me as something Vince always seemed to handle right.

He let Mick write his own book.

He recruits from "real" wrestlers and gives them something to do with what they've learned, I mean knowing how to do submissions won't get you a job at most places, if they so choose to, and a lot who have been given that chance have really shined, ie angle brock and shelton.

Vince hires alot of crimals and gives them a chance. I mean if you do some searching on the net, you'll find all sorts of nasty things about the real life of pro-wrestlers.

He rehired, or tried to, Vince Russo. He hired back Sable of all people.

He bought WCW and didn't let it fall into teh hands of someone who was in it only for the money.

Vince cares about wrestling, may not always agree with him about it, but he does care. The hall of fame show thingie that just happened is a good indication of his niceness.

And lets not for get good ol' JR's issues nor Jerry Lawer's.

Guest Dazed

Christ, both Paul Heyman and Eric Bischoff are employees of Vince.

(although I'm sure there's a financial motivation there)

He bought WCW and didn't let it fall into teh hands of someone who was in it only for the money.

Well then, I wish Vince had been a little less "nice" in that regard, because if he had let someone who was only in it for the money have WCW, maybe it'd still be around and we'd have a viable alternative.

I don't know why people always seem to think that. WCW was dead. Either Vince would buy it and we would at least get an invasion angle (which flopped) and the WCW library (which has been a huge success, look at the Flair DVD), or it would simply disappear. There was no other option. Nobody else was even in the running to buy it after Time Warner kicked them off TBS & TNT.

Guest Stunt Granny

I think people come down much too hard on McMahon at times. Other people in his position would be a million times worse as far as the way to properly treat employees. I'm sure theres nothing easy about being Vince McMahon. If he did the "right thing" everytime instead of doing whats best for his multi-million dollar company there would be no WWE. I think Vince does a pretty good job of walking the fine line between doing whats right for people and doing whats right for his company.

Christ, both Paul Heyman and Eric Bischoff are employees of Vince.

(although I'm sure there's a financial motivation there)

I'd also say ego has something to do with it too.

Buying WCW wasn't "being nice". He got some more talent, plus the tape library, for a veritable steal. That was purely a money/profit decision.

The talent would have come anyways. They would have been out of a job and Vince could have picked who he wanted. The invasion angle and the tape library are the big things that WCW offered.

Over the past few months my perspective of Vince has changed noticably.

I watched the Hall of Fame DVD yesterday and was blown away by the pure class shown by all. Vince didn't have to pay tribute to anyone ... he could just as easily credit himself and himself alone for all the WWE has done.

I was amazed by several of the inductees recognizing Linda, Shane, and Stephanie in the front row and praising them to high heaven, stating that their drive, vision, and respect for the business is what keeps the WWE - and pro wrestling in general - alive.

To close the show, Vince came out and had the family members of the inductees stand and be recognized for the sacrifices they made when their father, husband, etc was out on the road every day of the year.

When I went to the Mid Atlantic legends convention in Charlotte a few months back, there was a definate vibe of McMahon hate in the air. ... But I don't really understand why. True, Vince raided talent and his WWF did eventually end the territories. But do we blame Vince for merely trying to get his regional company off the ground and become a successful national and world-wide organization - or do we blame the dozens of other promoters who couldn't get their shit together to provide a profitable alternative and compete against New York?

I think Vince gets blamed a lot simply because he's on top and is so visible.

Buying WCW wasn't "being nice".  He got some more talent, plus the tape library, for a veritable steal.  That was purely a money/profit decision.

The talent would have come anyways. They would have been out of a job and Vince could have picked who he wanted. The invasion angle and the tape library are the big things that WCW offered.

And didn't he pick who he wanted anyway?

He made money off the library, picked who he wanted and sent the rest packing.

Thank god he did get the library.

With the production value the WWE has, no one else could have come close to properly using and packaging the footage as Vince has done thus far (Flair's DVD, Bloodbath, etc). Had Vince not picked it up, we very well may never have seen this stuff.

Thank god he did get the library.

With the production value the WWE has, no one else could have come close to properly using and packaging the footage as Vince has done thus far (Flair's DVD, Bloodbath, etc). Had Vince not picked it up, we very well may never have seen this stuff.

And thats why I'm glad Vince bought it over anyone else because seriously, who else loves wrestling as much as him? It was nice of him to get it over some dickwad who was just gonna spew out low quality dvds. Vince does care about the product and he takes his time with some of this stuff just to make sure it comes out perfect. No one else understands wrestling like Vince's does and he's the only person who can really correctly do anything with the footage. (Not taht I always agree with what Vince does, but he does care more then anyone else.)

Guest Choken One

I agree and That's another reason I am actually glad to see a guy TRIPLE H being groomed to be part of the company's future...

All through the history of WWE...one of the reasons it's been so damn successful is that the person(s) at the top LOVE the industry more then the money...You saw that with Jess McMahon, Vince Sr, Vince Jr and eventully we'll see it with Shane and Triple H...another companies we know of...are usually created off a desire to make money (Turner and WCW) or ego purposes (RF and ROH and Heyman with ECW)...

other things vince does to "be nice"...are Giving COUNTLESS workers many chances...Most organizations would have given Eddy Guerrero ONE chance...Vince gave him more...Regal...Bulldog all were given chances to come back...he gave Jeff Hardy chance after chance until he had no choice to let him go. He respects history...He doesn't have to try to preserve the legancy of Bruno Sammantino, after all Bruno has said about Vince and WWE, McMahon has all the rights to bury bruno's name but he doesn't. Same with bret...after the inital bitterness that was perfectly natural...he accepted Bret back...That shows you how much Vince is liked by the boys...When Bret Hart was willing to forgive and reconcile their friendship.

Vince McMahon more then any other promoter in Wrestling relates to the workers...better then Heyman, Bischoff(i always considered him WCW's promoter...he controlled the strings for Turner) and the others...

Roddy Piper at WM19.

Crowd seemed mostly on it's hands the whole show (maybe because the room was so big nothing really carried), but boy oh boy did that one really pop everyone.

Their only mistake was not making it a one-time thing.

Guest jm29195
Hey, theres a passage in Foleys book when he was bitching about someone who was getting a push and the Funker said, "mick sometimes vince does it to be nice", so what has Vince done, that in your view, was not done for business purposes, but just to be "nice", a push maybe, or a belt on some crappy wrestler(Hardcore Holly at RR04 springs to mind)

Who was he talking about here, I was thinking Terry Gordy but maybe it was someone else?

Guest jm29195

Nah he's always pushing Mark Henry because he's trying to get something back from the 10 million dollar contract he signed him to.....

Guest jm29195

No I'm sure Mick meant someone else, he has never pushed Henry just to be 'nice', it's always to justify his huge contract, if Vince was being 'nice' to Henry he wouldn't have actively tried to make him quit in later 99/00 with the tranvestite/Mae Young storylines. I always took it to mean that Mick was confused that someone past their prime or just generally useless was getting a push just because Vince felt sorry for them or wanted to help ie maybe Gordy in late 96 as the executioner?

Who was he talking about here, I was thinking Terry Gordy but maybe it was someone else?

The time period would have been December 97 until July 98 so my choice would be the either The Legion of Doom or Kurrgan.

Oh yeah, another thing. I remember a time when WCW and WWF wouldn't even mention the names of each other on TV or in the magazines.. With ECW and WCW gone, I appreciate Vince for being focused and telling the new generation of fans about the history of WCW or ECW since most hardcore fans wouldn't have the programs and known what happened.

IIRC, it was Gordy.

Guest Anglesault

The time period would have been December 97 until July 98 so my choice would be the either The Legion of Doom or Kurrgan.

I don't think it necessarily has to be a period that Funk was also working for the company.