TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest NaturalBornThriller4:20

NBA Offseason News and Moves

Guest Smell the ratings!!!

Rant should enjoy this.

There's a rumor floating around that the Sonics will get Kurt Thomas from New York for the #12 pick and Jerome James.

The uber player with the great hair of course.  I can see Nellie starting 4 forwards and one guard.

Don Nelson is the coolest coach ever.

You won't be thinking that when you see Shaq running the point.

Guest Vitamin X

From ESPN.com....

MIAMI (AP) — Miami Heat president Pat Riley confirmed Wednesday that he met with Los Angeles Lakers officials about their coaching vacancy, but stressed that no contract offers or demands were made.

Riley, in a statement distributed by team officials, said a meeting took place after Lakers owner Jerry Buss and general manager Mitch Kupchak asked for and received permission from Heat owner Micky Arison.

Pat Riley confirmed he met with Lakers officials on Wednesday.

Victor Baldizon/NBAE/Getty Images 

"During our discussion, which lasted a few hours, there was never any demands made by me nor was there ever an offer presented by them," Riley said in the statement. "It was simply a long philosophical discussion about the situation."

Riley did not specify when the meeting took place. On Saturday, he said through a Heat spokesman that he was seeking to extend his contract as Miami's president and that reports linking him with the Lakers' coaching search were merely "rumors."

The Lakers are searching for a successor to coach Phil Jackson, who helped the franchise win three NBA titles in five seasons. The announcement that Jackson wouldn't return next season was made last Friday, just three days after the Lakers lost to the Detroit Pistons in the NBA Finals.

Riley, a winner of 1,110 games in 21 seasons, led the "Showtime" Lakers of Magic Johnson and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar to titles in 1982, 1985, 1987 and 1988. He also coached the New York Knicks (1991-95) and the Heat (1995-2003), resigning from the Miami job four days before last season began.

"I have great respect for the Lakers, Dr. Buss and Mitch Kupchak; they've built one of the premier franchises in the NBA," Riley's statement said. "For the past 34 years the Lakers have been a big part of my life and I would like to thank them for the opportunity to talk."

Riley called the meeting "a great trip down memory lane," and said he and the Lakers "mutually decided to end our conversation in regards to their situation."

"I am and will continue to be committed to building the Miami Heat in hopes of one day winning an NBA championship," Riley said.

Fuck Miami, go back to LA. I wish I could.

What are you talking about?

Look at those handles.

That was a long time ago. Have you seen the playoff games where almost every team ran the fastbreak on Shaq. Which resulted in leaving Shaq at the halfcourt tired and winded majority of the time.

Rant should enjoy this.

There's a rumor floating around that the Sonics will get Kurt Thomas from New York for the #12 pick and Jerome James.

Anything to get rid of James and Booth.

Just realize that majority of the Spurs international players names end with O or U

Manu

Rasho

Hedo

Beno - recent 1st round draft pick

(AP story about a possible lockout)

Union director Billy Hunter addressed several players and has said the possibility of another NBA lockout next summer is possible.

`We don't come to this process as neophytes. We don't have the same kind of naivety that we had before,'' Hunter told The Associated Press. ``The guys understand that the negotiations could ultimately result in another lockout, and they have to prepare themselves for that.

``If the owners are not inclined to retreat from their current proposal, there's a high probability there can be another lockout,'' Hunter said.

Union members say the league has asked for numerous concessions in an initial proposal presented during two preliminary bargaining sessions held after the All-Star break. Owners are seeking a four-year maximum length for any contract, higher luxury tax rates for the clubs with the largest payrolls and lower thresholds to trigger the luxury and escrow taxes.

``How would I describe the proposal? A step back,'' Hunter said. ``In many ways it mirrors the proposal that was presented in 1998, a proposal that lasted at least five months and called for significant rollbacks and forced the players to dig in.

``I suspect that if that continues to be the attitude of the owners, then they might get the same type of reaction from this group of players as they got in 1998 -- becoming just as entrenched and instrident as the owners are in terms of what their position is, and where we should and should not be.''

NBA commissioner David Stern, upon hearing Hunter's remarks, took a conciliatory tone.

``I'm optimistic. I'm glad that the players are engaged and involved, because whenever you have people who understand the economics of a business thoroughly, you're more likely to reach an agreement,'' Stern said in a telephone interview.

``I won't even characterize some of the ideas the players represented that they might like to see, but it's fair to say that whenever the players or owners put forth a proposal, it's done with expectation there could be some changes -- but that's where negotiations come in. And those negotiations are where deals get done, not by hurling threats in the newspapers.''

Guest Redhawk

A few random questions:

1) Dana Barros is still listed on the Celtics roster. Now from what I read, he was an assistant coach last year and only suited up when they had a bunch of injuries and needed another guard. So is Barros supposed to be coming back to play next year? Is Doc Rivers keeping him as an assistant? Or is he just gone altogether?

2) With the Wizards adding Antawn Jamison, where does that leave Kwame Brown? Does he move to center? Move to the bench?

I'm guessing the lineup would be:

PG: Arenas

SG: Hayes

SF: Jamison

PF: Brown

C: Haywood?

Jamison will probably play small foward, or they can go with Brown at center and Jamison at the power.

-Forgot about Hughes

PG: Arenas/Blake/Hughes

SG: Hughes/Hayes

SF: Jamison/Hayes

PF: Brown/Jamison

C: Etan Thomas/Haywood/Brown

Edited by Cena's Writer

Etan Thomas is a free agent, so the Kwame as center lineup could happen.

Why do I know that?

Guest Mindless_Aggression

I honestly think Etan Thomas will be a damn solid player if he gets the minutes. I had him on my Fantasy team for shot blocking purposes but when he got 20 plus minutes, he was good for a double double.

Guest Redhawk

Note to "DA": Overuse of nicknames makes it look like you're trying too hard to be cool.

Wednesday, June 30, 2004

Bryant marquee attraction on market

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By David Aldridge

Special to ESPN.com

Kobe Bryant, Lakers: The pick of the free agent litter. You hear that he wants to be a leader on a team of young, talented players. That certainly could be the Clippers, though I still can't believe the Kobester would place his potential legacy in the hands of Donald T. Sterling. The Suns hold out hope, too, but when all is said and done, I'd be surprised if Bryant was anywhere but in Forum Blue and Gold next season.

*Kenyon Martin, Nets: Hard to argue that anyone but K-Mart is the preeminent power forward in the game right now. He's added perimeter skills to his brutal inside package; a face-up game to his devastating transition moves; calmness and leadership to the fire that rages below the surface. If I'm the Nuggets, I give this guy a max offer and dare the Nets to match it.

Rasheed Wallace, Pistons: 'Sheed's defensive performance in the playoffs for Detroit is Exhibit A for any playoff team that needs some toughness and team-oriented play to get over the top. You can't bring him in and ask him to be The Man; he has to be one of the guys. You may say that's not worth a max offer. I say it's close. But the family has to be comfortable, which is why the NYC is still a longshot possibility.

Steve Nash, Mavericks: At 30, Nasty isn't a kid anymore, and his history of injuries will no doubt give some teams pause. But there isn't a better point his side of East Rutherford. Nash controls games with the dribble and never turns it over (3.29 assist-turnover ratio). If Golden State could entice Erick Dampier into a sign-and-trade to Dallas, despite Nash's likely base-year status, the Warriors would make some sense. But Nash also has to be involved in any potential Dallas trade for Shaq.

Manu Ginobili, Spurs: He's their top priority, but he's also on the short lists of the Nuggets and Suns. Such is the skill level of this fearless, soon-to-be 27-year-old who can score with either hand. He's long and active defensively, too. For a team like Utah, which has cornered the market on acquiring international players, a guy like Manu is worth breaking the bank.

Brent Barry, Sonics: A combo guard who can bring the ball up, play off it, be useful in a two-guard front, stroke the three with deadly efficiency (second in the league last season) and who loves to pass. Okay, defense isn't his strongest suit, but he works at it. If Ginobili leaves San Antonio for greener pastures, it would take me about a second to give Barry a call.

*Quentin Richardson, Clippers: He was Denver's top choice for a while, a testament to his physical skills and improving all-around game. With the Clips half-blinded by Kobe Dust in their eyes, there's no better time to drop a sheet on Q-and that's exactly what Phoenix should do, with the kind of front-loaded goodies that made it hard for L.A. to match last summer's offers to Andre Miller and Lamar Odom.

Erick Dampier, Warriors. He must know something to give up $16 mil over the next two seasons. What he knows is that after finishing fourth in the L in rebounding (12 per game), first in offensive boards (4.6) and third in field goal percentage (.535), this is the time to cash in. Would I be worried about a guy whose career numbers had come nowhere close to last season's? To quote Henry Gondorff, right down to my socks, buster. But that won't stop the Logo or Mitch Kupchak from trying anyway. Or the Pacers.

Troy Hudson, Timberwolves: Injuries kept T Hud from showing the form last season that wowed everyone in the 2003 playoffs, but the same guy's still there: a big-time streak shooter with quicks and attitude. The Clippers have needed a point guard for about a million years-and in true Clipper fashion, they already had Hudson before!

Mehmet Okur, Pistons: Memo didn't fit in to what Larry Brown wanted from his bigs, but Joe Dumars would still like to figure out a way to keep him around. A guy with his offensive range and inside slipperyness would be ideal for the Suns, who've targeted Okur for free-agent bucks. He's a little like Jake Tsakalidis, but with more skills.

*denotes restricted free agent; current team has the right to match any offer made to the player and retain his services.

Latest on Kobe from the L.A. Times

By Mark Heisler

With their owner on vacation, their soul in Memphis, their coach on the beach, their center on the trading block, their golden child in retreat and their future in doubt, the Lakers embark on the free-agent wooing period Thursday.

They're still shopping Shaquille O'Neal, hoping to hang onto Kobe Bryant, but assured of nothing. They can begin talking to Bryant but so can the Clippers.

It may seem incomprehensible, given the difference in traditions, but with O'Neal going, Jerry West gone and a roster of six players, including two rookies and a second-year man, the Lakers aren't the Lakers at the moment.

Now, in a chilling sign for them, even with O'Neal seemingly destined to join Phil Jackson in Laker history, an insider says Bryant is the Clippers' to lose right now.

Under normal circumstances, this would be no problem. Clipper Owner Donald T. Sterling is the NBA equivalent of the bumbling wise guy in Jimmy Breslin's "The Gang That Couldn't Shoot Straight," who "couldn't run a gas station at a profit if he stole the customers' cars."

However, Sterling has always insisted he would pay a star. Although he doesn't know a great deal about NBA personnel, he does know Bryant qualifies.

For his part, Bryant considers the Clippers' laughingstock status a challenge. Intent on staying in the area -- assuming the state of Colorado goes along with that -- he expressed no real interest in seemingly viable options such as Phoenix or San Antonio, to say nothing of rebuilding projects in Denver, Utah and Atlanta.

The Clippers are clearing cap space for a maximum slot and have been since last fall, when they heard Bryant would actually consider coming.

Needing a point guard during the season, they passed up players such as Travis Best. They just dumped Predrag Drobjnak's $2.8-million salary, will renounce Keyon Dooling and are looking for takers for Eddie House and Melvin Ely. If Bryant says he'll come, they'll drop Quentin Richardson and Marko Jaric.

According to tampering rules, the Clippers couldn't even speak Bryant's name until Thursday, but as General Manager Elgin Baylor said last week, "We'll leave no stone unturned, I'll put it that way."

Teams can talk to players until July 14, when the actual signing period begins.

Richardson, a restricted free agent, has already said he'll "definitely" visit Denver, which last season signed former Clipper Andre Miller. Clipper officials believe an offer sheet will follow quickly.

The Clippers then will have 15 days to match. By then, they'll have to know if Bryant is coming. If he is, they'll let Richardson go to free up the cap room for Bryant; if not, they say they'll match on Richardson.

You're crazy.

But on a serious note, what team would they make better? If shaq goes to Dallas I don't think Dampeir would want to be a backup. Who needs a starting center that is a contender? Maybe wherever Kobe ends up could use him. LA-Shaq, Phoenix, and LAC all need centers.

Well with Dampier, the question is still out on whether he will continue to put up big numbers or sink back into his funk once he gets the big money.

Brent Barry is still one of the more consistent "I may not give you anything huge but I'll give you something" guys. If I'm Houston, I'm trying to sign him up, he's very willing to give up shots to get other guys off.

I think Dampier in LA (minus Shaq) or Indiana is VERY dangerous. As long as he's on a contender I see him continuing to play as well as he did last year, those two teams would demand nothing less from him, and after playing so well last season he'd be a fool to stop putting in work just for a big payday with a mediocre team. Even a team like Denver or Memphis would benefit greatly from his presence.

Barry could put San Antonio or Houston over the hump, he's one of the best role players in the league and he might be willing to take the 5mil exception to play for a contender.

if I ran a team I'd be falling all over myself to get either Barry or Hudson. I'd also stay the fuck away from Dampier but that's just me.

Of course Hudson doesn't work in Houston cause he's a major gunner.

Barry is the perfect fit for Houston I think. A guy who can hit threes all day but doesn't have to score a point to be effective, really long too, good defender because of it. Really helped Rashard Lewis and Ray Allen get off to some big games, great at feeding someone when they're hot, Shaq would love him.

I think I'd probably skip on Dampier too. I just don't have any faith in him continuing to be a factor. Maybe Indiana should look into it because Jeff Foster just isn't gonna give you too awfully much but even then, he'll at least hustle, Dampier won't a lot of the time.

latest on Kobe is that the suns are setting the market

A source told ESPN's David Aldridge that the Suns are prepared to offer Los Angeles Lakers free agent guard Kobe Bryant a six-year deal in excess of $100 million. The Suns can make an offer any time after 12:01 a.m. ET Thursday, the first allowable time for free agents to be contacted. The source also told Aldridge that the Suns will try to meet with Bryant's representatives on Friday in Los Angeles.

Bryant, who is facing an August trial in Eagle, Colo., on sexual assault charges, can re-sign with the Lakers for seven years and around $130 million. The Los Angeles Clippers are also very interested in Bryant, according to various reports.

Sarver, who owns about one-third of the franchise, will form an operating committee with minority owners Steve Kerr and Bryan Colangelo. Former owner Jerry Colangelo, Bryan's father, relinquished his 20 percent stake but will remain in the team's top management spot. He led an investment group that acquired the Suns in 1987 for $44.5 million.

NBA owners unanimously approved the sale of the Suns to Sarver, the team announced in a brief news release. The transaction includes the WNBA's Phoenix Mercury and Arizona Rattlers of the Arena Football League.

Sixty-five percent of the purchase price was paid at closing on Wednesday with the remainder due in three years, when Jerry Colangelo plans to step down. The price could rise to $415 million if certain incentives -- mostly based on team performance -- are met.

Sarver, 42, grew up in Tucson and graduated from the University of Arizona in 1982. He founded National Bank of Arizona at age 23.

He is chairman and chief executive of Western Alliance Bancorporation. He also is the founder of Southwest Value Partners, a major San Diego real estate investment company.

Maybe Colangelo should just give Kobe the Mercury to go there.

Kobe Bryant, Lakers: The pick of the free agent litter. You hear that he wants to be a leader on a team of young, talented players. That certainly could be the Clippers, though I still can't believe the Kobester would place his potential legacy in the hands of Donald T. Sterling. The Suns hold out hope, too, but when all is said and done, I'd be surprised if Bryant was anywhere but in Forum Blue and Gold next season.

It's purple, you fag. Oh, and I agree.

*Kenyon Martin, Nets: Hard to argue that anyone but K-Mart is the preeminent power forward in the game right now.

Not really.

Jermaine

Brand

Odom

KG

Amare

Randolph

Webber (healthy, obv.)

Duncan

Boozer, Nene, Gasol and Kwame could all get there too.

Rasheed Wallace, Pistons: 'Sheed's defensive performance in the playoffs for Detroit is Exhibit A for any playoff team that needs some toughness and team-oriented play to get over the top. You can't bring him in and ask him to be The Man; he has to be one of the guys. You may say that's not worth a max offer. I say it's close. But the family has to be comfortable, which is why the NYC is still a longshot possibility.

Yeah, you might say that. He's staying, btw.

Nash also has to be involved in any potential Dallas trade for Shaq.

If this doesn't happen, I'm guessing he either stays put or goes back to Phoenix.

Manu Ginobili, Spurs: He's their top priority, but he's also on the short lists of the Nuggets and Suns. Such is the skill level of this fearless, soon-to-be 27-year-old who can score with either hand. He's long and active defensively, too. For a team like Utah, which has cornered the market on acquiring international players, a guy like Manu is worth breaking the bank.

I think he stays put too.

Brent Barry, Sonics: A combo guard who can bring the ball up, play off it, be useful in a two-guard front, stroke the three with deadly efficiency (second in the league last season) and who loves to pass. Okay, defense isn't his strongest suit, but he works at it. If Ginobili leaves San Antonio for greener pastures, it would take me about a second to give Barry a call.

I'll second this on behalf of Larry Bird, and since the Suns are apparently dying to get rid of Shawn Marion, we'll gladly give them Harrington and Tinsley in exchange.

Erick Dampier, Warriors. He must know something to give up $16 mil over the next two seasons. What he knows is that after finishing fourth in the L in rebounding (12 per game), first in offensive boards (4.6) and third in field goal percentage (.535), this is the time to cash in. Would I be worried about a guy whose career numbers had come nowhere close to last season's? To quote Henry Gondorff, right down to my socks, buster. But that won't stop the Logo or Mitch Kupchak from trying anyway. Or the Pacers.

I've heard a lot about him coming here...but I don't know if we can manage the money for him. But he *won't* be in GS, I'm pretty sure.

Troy Hudson, Timberwolves: Injuries kept T Hud from showing the form last season that wowed everyone in the 2003 playoffs, but the same guy's still there: a big-time streak shooter with quicks and attitude. The Clippers have needed a point guard for about a million years-and in true Clipper fashion, they already had Hudson before!

Clipper cheap shots never get old, do they? To ESPN, they're about like...well, Sacramento cheap shots. Before I go off on a tangent, Hudson will stay. Garnett wants him back.

Mehmet Okur, Pistons: Memo didn't fit in to what Larry Brown wanted from his bigs, but Joe Dumars would still like to figure out a way to keep him around. A guy with his offensive range and inside slipperyness would be ideal for the Suns, who've targeted Okur for free-agent bucks. He's a little like Jake Tsakalidis, but with more skills.

He'll be the token "leave the world champs for a cellar dweller" free agent (like Stephen Jackson, Isaiah Rider, Tyronn Lue, etc). Maybe Atlanta. Who knows.

It's purple, you fag. Oh, and I agree.

How old are you, bro?

Maybe someone can explain this to me, as I have never figured it out. Is there a purpose to the retarded "if you draft a second round guy, you can only sign him to the mid-level exception" rule? Basically, you get punished because you did your job and got a worthwhile second round pick (Arenas last offseason, Okur this).

OK ok, I was obviously just joking, but I shouldn't have said it.

I'm sorry Spicy, let's never fight.

The court's purple. They wear purple sweatbands. The trim on their home jerseys is purple. So their jerseys will be called purple.