TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
PLAGIARISM!

first album you ever bought.

Guest Agent of Oblivion
Mercyful Fate - Into the Unknown

Pretty cool for a first album, but they've done a lot better.

That's a pretty unusual pick for a first cd to buy. Was it a random decision?

Not exactly random. I had a fairly heavy religious influence on me when I was young, one of the results of which was being shown a film called Hell's Bells. I think it's pretty well known in those circles. It's about how rock music is evil. My reaction was, predictably, "Wow! This is the coolest shit ever!" and to run out and buy stuff from the bands they talked about. That was their latest release at the time, so that's what I ended up getting.

That movie was really what got me into music.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Different means to a similar end. My dad was a mutant at my age as well, and he amassed a pretty badass record collection in terms of older protoplasmic ooze of metal, and progressive stuff. All the required albums were there. All the Beatles, Stones, Zeppelin..everything like that you'd find in a regular good record collection, but then he had a few Zappa albums, everything the Kinks ever did more or less, every Floyd studio album and a few live ones, and the first four Sabbath albums.

I was pretty young, and I'd pick what to listen to based on things like the band name and the album cover, and here's something called Black Sabbath with a crazy green fucker in a robe on the front, and a ton of heavy evil riffs.. I wore that thing out.

I really hate King Diamond.

Heh... yeah, ol' King'll do that to some people. I believe the reason I picked them first is because they were distinguised thusly: "While many groups use the devil solely as a marketing ploy, King Diamond is one artist who takes his Satanism seriously."

Now that I brought it up, I remember that movie really had a lot of fairly obscure shit... had me getting into Foetus, Siouxsie & the Banshees, Teenage Jesus and the Jerks (maybe my favorite name ever), The Birthday Party... shit, Exodus, Wayne Fountain, Diamanda Galas, a lot of stuff barely anyone I've met to this day knows about. Total crash course.

First "real" album (that wasn't a Weird Al tape) I ever got was Blow Up by the Smithereens on cassette. Got the CD later that year.

I was never big on cassettes. The only time I ever bought a bunch of tapes was when I was trying to get everything George Carlin ever put out five years ago. All I had to do was just wait a few months, and I would've been able to buy most of his '70s and early '80s albums on CD (which I eventually did).

-Ben

Weird Al Yankovic - Dare To Be Stupid......seriously it was.....I was 8!

The first out of the current collection was Green Day - Dookie.

Guest JebusNassedar

The Godzilla soundtrack.

The American one with Matthew Broderic.

Hey, No Shelter was really catchy.

Umm... i don't remember exactly, but I'm sure it's terribly embarassing. I was 9 years old... and I'm pretty sure it was Ace of Base. Despite that horrible single "The Sign" there is some decent stuff on that album, or so I remember. I haven't listened to it in years.

Guest DeathBecomesYou

The first CD I ever got was a second hand copy of Def Leppard's "On Through The Night" (I think that's the right title but I could be wrong as it was long ago) which my sister gave me. The first CD I actually went into a store and bought for myself was Metallica's Black album.